Alex Telles - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Peril

It’s most likely BS, but also there is a certain Bruno in our squad who has first-hand scouting reports on him. That’s often how it is for sure, good players recommending other good players they’ve struggled to play against in the past.

Very much a Barcelona, Real, PSG-signing though, even Chelsea, with absolutely no guarantee of succeeding of course. But we need an attacking full-back, I can’t even remember how it is playing one.

davidmichael

If only it was true. Maybe give them Dalot back too.
I’d do a swap deal involving Dalot, have Brandon back up the RB spot.

Shaw/Telles
AWB/Williams

Maybe send Laird out on loan.
This is my thinking too IF this were to happen, I think Dalot is done for us and Ole didn’t seem to trust him at all in order to give AWB a break since the restart.

Fosu-Mens

Going into next season with Shaw and AWB as our starting fullbacks will be problematic. We will continue to rely on progressing the ball through the middle, and clubs will continue to clog the middle of the pitch with players and force the ball to our fullbacks that will then often make a bad pass/passing decision or getting stuck in a pressing trap.

This dependency on going through the middle is not solely down to our fullbacks being less than impressive as passers, but we do not seem to be actively coaching passing patterns at the club, so we will most likely improve the most in this area by getting a fullback that knows how to contribute in the progression of the ball and how to function in the final third.

Additionally, none of our starting fullbacks can cross, especially from deep or from the sideline making them go more central and thus easier for the opposition to stay compact around the box...

Telles can cross from deep, is an excellent passer and not a terrible defender and would offer us a great left footed set piece taker... For the rumoured £30m he would be good business.

sp_107

Brendon wants Luke Shaw to replace Chilwell. so Ole might be planning to off load Shaw? what's your thoughts on this ?

georgipep

Brendon wants Luke Shaw to replace Chilwell. so Ole might be planning to off load Shaw? what's your thoughts on this ?
Absurd on several levels. First, we would never sell Shaw, he is one of the first names on the starters list when fit. He has been essential for our left wing build-up play and has great understanding with Rashford, Martial, Pogba and Matic.
Second, even if we were to consider offers, Leicester would never be able to afford him. In the current market he would be worth north of £50m and I can't imagine Rodgers would be allowed to spend such amounts on one player.
Third, why would Shaw accept such a deal? It's not like he is not getting first team football, great global exposure and fantastic wages. Which of these would he improve on by moving to Leicester?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I’d do a swap deal involving Dalot, have Brandon back up the RB spot.

Shaw/Telles
AWB/Williams

Maybe send Laird out on loan.
Not saying I believe we are actually in for Telles but this is exactly how I see things too if we were. I think Brandon will end up a right back. He just doesn't look comfortable enough on the left but you can see there's a good player in there with him. AWB wasn't ripping up any trees at the back end of the season either so him having genuine competition at RB would be good for us.

Maybe we can send them Dalot back and get him cheaper.

Zlatattack

I doubt it'll happen, we are linked with him every year, but he'd be a great attacking left back for us. No idea what his defensive stats are like, but he's great going forwards.

Mark Pawelek

I doubt it'll happen, we are linked with him every year, but he'd be a great attacking left back for us. No idea what his defensive stats are like, but he's great going forwards.
Defensively: Average, but picked up 2 red cards last season. Below Wan Bisaka, but equal or better than our other full-backs.
Attacking: Very good - better than any of our full-backs. 11 goals, 8 assists in 2558 minutes. Averages (per game) 2 key passes; 2.46 crosses; 1.4 shots. Very good 1st touch; rarely dispossessed.

Excellent signing if he can reproduce his Portuguese form.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Has a 40 million euro release clause:
"we'll take 30 million euros, no discount!"

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If he was that good and available for 30/40m surely Chelsea would have snapped him up by now.

SATA

I wouldn't trust a Portugese source again after Garay and Gaitan. Whatever happened to the Raul Jimenez links again? Absolute bull

Adam-Utd

That argument isn't valid. They prefer British and PL proven.
Says who? The last English players they signed were Ross Barkley and Danny Drinkwater

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Tidy left back with a good curl. His assists come from set pieces and some crosses.

For 30M he's a decent option but i'm not sure the physicality of the PL will do him any favours. He's nowhere near the potential Alex Sandro had when he was with us. Lacks power and acceleration.

He's a bit like Chilwell actually. Good left foot, good work ethic but a bit suspect defensively.

izec

Says who? The last English players they signed were Ross Barkley and Danny Drinkwater
They obviously prefer and want Chilwell, even for a higher price. That wasn't a general statement, but for the LB spot, they want him. Just like we want Sancho for the RW spot, nobody cares if there is a winger for 30m that can do the job if you have the perfect player in your mind

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Can’t be arsed with the Portuguese media this year.

Adam-Utd

They obviously prefer and want Chilwell, even for a higher price. That wasn't a general statement, but for the LB spot, they want him. Just like we want Sancho for the RW spot, nobody cares if there is a winger for 30m that can do the job if you have the perfect player in your mind
They'd been linked with Telles for many seasons already - which says to me they have doubts about him.

What i'm saying is if he's good enough for us then surely Chelsea think he's better than Alonso/Emerson already. Perhaps they want Chilwell but if Telles is 1/2 the price, why not?

PitTon

We need FBs to know how to defend but having watched Fulham second goal again and it just shows how important and exciting it is to have a fullback willing to run/attack the space . It's 1-0 to Fulham and he-a left back still ran up to space to attack. Amazing. Not exactly the same situation but I hardly imagine Shaw or William could make the same move (Shaw made lots of run after restart but it's what they trained with Rashford playing deep..). Those (instinct) movements when the space is available really make the difference.

Ace

We’ve been in need for depth at the LB spot for a while. Outside of Shaw, we’ve continued to play a series of right footed players without much impact. Blind and Rojo have made appearances at LB, but aren’t traditional fullbacks— before them, we had Evra and Buttner. Crazy to think that Shaw has been our only left back for so long given his injury record.

Shaw and Telles would solidify the position moving into next season.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
He'd be excellent competition for Shaw which is badly needed. Williams just isn't a left back and certainly not good enough there for us
How is Williams not a left back?. Is it because he's able to make runs into the box and also able to put a cross in the box?

And Shaw has been pretty good since he's been a LCB, he's getting plenty of competition from BW.

Onto another point - maybe a LB will permit OGS to use Dalot on the wings more often?. Dalot is really under used imo, definitely should be getting more game time than he has recently

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We just gave long term contract to Williams. So unless Ole sees Williams on the right, this is BS.

dutchred

We just gave long term contract to Williams. So unless Ole sees Williams on the right, this is BS.
I think Ole sees him as a right back who can cover left back. Mourinho does not seem to think too much of Sessegnon, I think we should take a gamble on him. Play him n the home games where teams defend and Shaw in the away games.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think Ole sees him as a right back who can cover left back. Mourinho does not seem to think too much of Sessegnon, I think we should take a gamble on him. Play him n the home games where teams defend and Shaw in the away games.
Sessegnon is not a LB. The sooner people realise this the sooner they stop viewing him as a defender

Thiagoal

With the new contract awarded to Brandon and the highly promising Ethan Laird ready to stake a claim I can not see why we’d need another full back! Save the money for a top class centre back

dutchred

Did you watch him playing for Fulham?
I live in Fulham and watch Fulham regularly. Maybe you dont know but people said the same of Giovanni van Bronckhurst when he was converted from a left wing to a full back. He went on to play for Arsenal, Barcelona and may years for Holland at left back

Mark Pawelek

How is Williams not a left back?. Is it because he's able to make runs into the box and also able to put a cross in the box?

And Shaw has been pretty good since he's been a LCB, he's getting plenty of competition from BW.

Onto another point - maybe a LB will permit OGS to use Dalot on the wings more often?. Dalot is really under used imo, definitely should be getting more game time than he has recently
Because he's not left-footed. Williams is a right-back. Dalot needs to leave; he's not a winger and not the full-back we need. Telles is Williams' replacement, also played in place of Shaw when United can be more attacking; and Williams is Dalot's replacement.

I have some sympathy for those saying Telles is defensively suspect; but he's also an extra #10 for the attack playing at LB. We wouldn't risk him against top right-wingers. I just want to see United with 2 proper left-backs; one who is hardly ever injured.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I live in Fulham and watch Fulham regularly. Maybe you dont know but people said the same of Giovanni van Bronckhurst when he was converted from a left wing to a full back. He went on to play for Arsenal, Barcelona and may years for Holland at left back
OK, did he score all those goals playing as a LB then. I'm curious because he racked up insane scoring stats for a LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.