Alex Telles - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
If I was OGS I'd be all over Tagliafico. Far better left back IMHO. Telles decent too though

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It’s the same point I made about dan James. We don’t play with a traditional striker and we don’t get enough bodies in the box to really benefit from early crosses
Ive seen Bruno make plenty of those types of runs. Dan James also doesnt pick his head up which is his main problem.

On top of that AWB has assists from RB and hes not even a great crosser of the ball

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It’s the same point I made about dan James. We don’t play with a traditional striker and we don’t get enough bodies in the box to really benefit from early crosses
Unfortunately the moment you suggest United should move for a more traditional forward the likely accusation you'll receive is from fans suggesting you want to see United play dinosaur football.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
His team constantly has two attacking fullbacks.
Constantly not really, Schmelzer wasn't an attacking fullback. But that doesn't actually address the point made because his wide players, midfielders and even strikers were different to the ones he has at Liverpool and he expected different things from each players, even within his own philosophy he worked around his players strength and weaknesses.

Cassidy

Constantly not really, Schmelzer wasn't an attacking fullback. But that doesn't actually address the point made because his wide players, midfielders and even strikers were different to the ones he has at Liverpool and he expected different things from each players, even without his own philosophy he worked around his players strength and weaknesses.
Thats why he is a top coach

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Constantly not really, Schmelzer wasn't an attacking fullback. But that doesn't actually address the point made because his wide players, midfielders and even strikers were different to the ones he has at Liverpool and he expected different things from each players, even within his own philosophy he worked around his players strength and weaknesses.
That's true. Although you can still see his "signature" style, though.

Speaking of striker, agreed that it foolish to change your striker (especially to a much lesser quality one), just to accommodate your fullback strength. Even if we get a prime Roberto Carlos.

Cassidy

What about Alex Grimaldo? I guess problem with him is fitness

So is this guy any good?

Who has regularly watched him play. I’m not interested in stats, especially when they are from a different league. Can be be a starter, and make a difference over Shaw, or would he just be an experienced back up and add depth?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Excellent. Tbf I d like to see data without penalties
Looking at 37 assists only is probably more than enough to tell you that this guy has such whip of cross and also good in taking corners.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
17/18 - 0 Goals 11 Assists
18/19 - 0 Goals 8 Assists
19/20 - 1 Goal 8 Assists

Stats minus penalties and freekicks.
Take out corners and almost all assists go away too :lol:

He's very good though, Porto have been fantastic at set pieces for the last few years and he's the main reason why

Rolaholic

So is this guy any good?

Who has regularly watched him play. I’m not interested in stats, especially when they are from a different league. Can be be a starter, and make a difference over Shaw, or would he just be an experienced back up and add depth?
@SportingCP96 did a nice breakdown a few pages back

Him and most Portuguese league watchers seem to think he'd be an upgrade on Shaw which I definitely think we should be in the market for one...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The comments re pens etc here remind me of the Bruno thread prior to signing. He scores penalties so obviously not good enough Utd

Dempsey19

That's about 20 times more than Shaw over the same period.
Exaxtly. Shaw has 2 goals and 15 assists in 215 career appearances. Telles has 21 goals and 39 assists in 127 Liga Nos appearances. Regardless of the difference in league quality, its obvious he can spot a pass, and is a good crosser of the ball whether its from a corner or open play.

Also we have no left footed FK taker so he would be on those I'd imagine. I'm pretty sure we had Shaw on corners yesterday too?

I'm all for this signing and pretty confident he starts over Shaw.

Reactions: Penna

reddevil80

Never sure about a brazilian at o/t. Rafael seemed to be the only brazilian that made a good mark for utd. The stat's for him are astounding but we don't have the forwards for his crosses imho.

Cloud7

Take out corners and almost all assists go away too :lol:

He's very good though, Porto have been fantastic at set pieces for the last few years and he's the main reason why
It's been an eternity since we had someone that can actually deliver a good corner, so if he can then that's a bonus

Never sure about a brazilian at o/t. Rafael seemed to be the only brazilian that made a good mark for utd. The stat's for him are astounding but we don't have the forwards for his crosses imho.
I doubt Greenwood. Rashford and Martial have scored 10 headed goals between them at United?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
It's been an eternity since we had someone that can actually deliver a good corner, so if he can then that's a bonus
Bruno was great at it with us tbf.

I think United's problem in that regard is that only Maguire and maybe Pogba are big threats on corners so it's easy to defend. The forwards barely head the ball. Telles is one of the best in the world at taking corners but Porto have a bunch of giants (Pepe, Danilo, Marega, Soares, Mbemba, etc), don't think he would be as effective at it at United.

Bruno was great at it with us tbf.

I think United's problem in that regard is that only Maguire and maybe Pogba are big threats on corners so it's easy to defend. The forwards barely head the ball. Telles is one of the best in the world at taking corners but Porto have a bunch of giants (Pepe, Danilo, Marega, Soares, Mbemba, etc), don't think he would be as effective at it at United.
Agreed. Perhaps Matić as well when he plays, but that’s it. Hardly any point in crossing the ball most of the time.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Agreed. Perhaps Matić as well when he plays, but that’s it. Hardly any point in crossing the ball most of the time.
Don't think Matic is really that good during set pieces. Can't remember he was ever a threat with his header. Even in defending set pieces he wasn't that very good. We lack of aggressiveness when attacking and defending set pieces.

sparx99

We really should work on some clever corner passing routines. It’s got to make more sense than lumping it in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.