Alex Telles - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siorac

Right, so now our strategy is to buy what Liverpool buys? Depth at LB? When we have more pressing needs all over the pitch?

Liverpool just won the league and the CL in consecutive seasons, I think their needs are a bit different than ours.

I was right. You are a Woodward mole. When you see him tomorrow, punch him in the balls and say hello from me.
Liverpool won those trophies with a left-back bought from Hull City for 8m.

What other areas of need should we address with this 15m? Everyone on the Caf wants a CB but 1) we're not even linked with anyone, not least because we can't seem to get rid of any of the 388714 centre-backs we do have, 2) who is even out there? Upamecano seems to be the favourite and he's unattainable this summer.

MUM

Yes he looks a good player for that price and length of contract.
I just hope that his experience and skill can instill a bit of calm at the back, because we looked like chickens with no heads running about yesterday.

Watching a youtube compilation and it looks like he actually gets his head up before crossing the ball, don't see that very often from our lot!

Fingers crossed he hits the ground running a la Fernandes, can't afford too many more signings that start regressing the moment they join us. But, especially considering the fee, can't see anything wrong with having a punt on this.

Untd55

Would you say he would be good enough to play as a winger? I waas just wondering whether we were thinking of a cheap alternative and move Rashford to the right.

Oldyella

I think so, especially after the Sancho fiasco.

----------------------DDG-----------------------
-----------VNL-Maguire-Shaw-----------
AWB------------------------------------Telles
-------------Matic------Pogba---------------
--------------------Bruno------------------------
---------Rashford-----Martial--------------

Subs: Henderson-Williams-Bailly-Fred-VDB-Greenwood-Cavani
That to me looks a far stronger side, although I think Pogba, Matic and Martial will be looking nervously over their shoulders after their starts this season.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
That to me looks a far stronger side, although I think Pogba, Matic and Martial will be looking nervously over their shoulders after their starts this season.
As it should be. Nobody is good enough to be a certain started for us atm.
I'm a big fan of Martial, and I think he'll be fine. Pogba needs to get dropped and Matic rotated (He's still useful in certain matches IMO).

Higgy74

Supports
Wolves
I find it bizarre that you lot are mostly a bit ‘meh’ about this signing, I’ll make a prediction that he will be one of your favourites in 6 months, trust me this bloke is class, you’re gonna love him

oh and I told you yesterday not to worry and that this signing was wrapped up, the ITK on the Wolves board told us

bondsname

Just a heads up, I just read on Reddit that Telles is pretty slow, especially for a fullback. Obviously he's faster than Maguire, but the issue is that he likes to attack and can't track back efficiently because of his pace. That can result in Telles fouling the opponent or leaving space open on the flanks.

I'm not an expert on Telles myself but from what I read he seems like a more technical fullback rather than fast and overlapping one.

Raw

I think so, especially after the Sancho fiasco.

----------------------DDG-----------------------
-----------VNL-Maguire-Shaw-----------
AWB------------------------------------Telles
-------------Matic------Pogba---------------
--------------------Bruno------------------------
---------Rashford-----Martial--------------

Subs: Henderson-Williams-Bailly-Fred-VDB-Greenwood-Cavani
I do quite like this. Maybe Williams or Laird over AWB for a better attacking contribution on the right. We'll need the width.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I would’ve preferred Reguilon as he’s younger, more tenacious m & faster. Telles is the more technical player & puts good crosses in. He’s also good on corners & freekicks.

Decent signing, massive upgrade on Williams for sure. Shouldn’t take much for him to displace Shaw either.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I do quite like this. Maybe Williams or Laird over AWB for a better attacking contribution on the right. We'll need the width.
I think AWB will be fine eventually. Not a fan of Williams tbh, I just don't see it with him. Laird is very complete as a fullback but he has no first team experience and seems to get injured a lot.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I find it bizarre that you lot are mostly a bit ‘meh’ about this signing, I’ll make a prediction that he will be one of your favourites in 6 months, trust me this bloke is class, you’re gonna love him

oh and I told you yesterday not to worry and that this signing was wrapped up, the ITK on the Wolves board told us
Well he is coming from Portugal so you guys would know.

Higgy74

Supports
Wolves
Well he is coming from Portugal so you guys would know.
exactly so trust me, since we were linked with him I’ve watched his performances closely, he’s a very very good attacking LB/LWB

marktan

Watching a youtube compilation and it looks like he actually gets his head up before crossing the ball, don't see that very often from our lot!

Fingers crossed he hits the ground running a la Fernandes, can't afford too many more signings that start regressing the moment they join us. But, especially considering the fee, can't see anything wrong with having a punt on this.
Though watching those compilations most of those crosses don't actually end up doing anything, not sure how helpful that will be

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
Meh. I hope he does well but I'm holding out no hope. Heck we could sign prime Ronaldo, Messi and Pele atm and I'd still imagine us finishing 6th

diarm

So instead of having two fullbacks who aren't known for defending or attacking, we'll have one that isn't known for either and one who is at least good at attacking.

That is an immediate 25% improvement right there.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Tim Vickery was on Sky really rating him. Vickery is not the type to hype players

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just a heads up, I just read on Reddit that Telles is pretty slow, especially for a fullback. Obviously he's faster than Maguire, but the issue is that he likes to attack and can't track back efficiently because of his pace. That can result in Telles fouling the opponent or leaving space open on the flanks.

I'm not an expert on Telles myself but from what I read he seems like a more technical fullback rather than fast and overlapping one.
Sounds like a wingback like Alonso.

kentafuji

Sure we can train that out of him by christmas

Smores

At that fee it's a pretty safe bet. It'll be interesting to see if he's automatic first choice or not.
We certainly need some attacking involvement from our full backs but Ole might be a bit safety first given our defensive woes so far.

DevilRed

At that fee it's a pretty safe bet. It'll be interesting to see if he's automatic first choice or not.
We certainly need some attacking involvement from our full backs but Ole might be a bit safety first given our defensive woes so far.
At that fee he doesn't need to be an automatic choice. That's whats great about it.

Can be a squad player and rotated or played in a 5 at the back formation with Luke.

Hoof the ball

Some more comments from the boys at the Porto Reddit

He is a Patrice Evra!

Not the best defender, bit extremely fast and excellent crossing!! Great at free kicks to!!
He's the best.
That depends. If you get last year's Telles, you just bought our best player for a bargain. If you get this year's Telles, you're going to be getting a very lazy bench warmer. I don't think he's in his best shape after covid. He's decently athletic, though very slim and not very prone for physical duels, not very good aerials either but has a very good shot and attacking workrate. Don't expect the best defensive full back ever. He's still gotten very good at timing his tackles and curbing his aggressiveness. Set pieces are his definite strong, though he misses some crucial pens (fortunately you can't get any better than Bruno)

Good luck
Set pieces and overall offensive quality - World Class

Defensively, gets run past quite easily if quick attackers are against him, he can really get exposed
Offensively : A+

Defensively: C-

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Along with Donny, I'd be very pleased with this signing, but all the bollocks surrounding Sancho, together with the Dembele, Cavani, Sarr stuff has just soured the mood for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.