Alex Telles - SIGNED for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Just a heads up, I just read on Reddit that Telles is pretty slow, especially for a fullback. Obviously he's faster than Maguire, but the issue is that he likes to attack and can't track back efficiently because of his pace. That can result in Telles fouling the opponent or leaving space open on the flanks.

I'm not an expert on Telles myself but from what I read he seems like a more technical fullback rather than fast and overlapping one.
You read from some random person that they said something and now you're telling us? What are we going to do with this information? Why don't you ignore this stuff and have a look yourself and tell us your own opinion.

Davìd Moyéz

Not happy with the reported fee.

cant see why we didn’t pay £10m more and get him in 24 hours earlier.
Had a good chuckle at this. Can understand the frustration at leaving everything to the last minute but clubs are trying to rob us blind, if we succumb to everyone's self made deadlines and absurd valuations the robbery just gets worse and worse.

If the board went with the overwhelming views on here we'd maybe have Bellingham, Sancho and Haaland but we'd also have made sure that every transfer we make in the future is double the going price with a 50% agent fee whacked on for good measure.

DSG

That's how you build a squad. If we want to devote a large portion of budget to single player when we should be looking at value signings to fill the other positions. Telles for 15 player is exactly that.

Anyways it's all hypocritical, we haven't devoted any budget to single player, so signing Telles won't stop any other signings. We needed one more LB and we got without a big dent in the budget.
Whats your issue with Telles? Shaw is absolutely mediocre at left back, and injury prone so you know very shortly we'd need to play some random there. Telles is better than Shaw and will start ahead of him fairly quickly.
Kept reading your posts in this thread and honestly, you have weird logic. It's impossible for other posters to present their arguments with you because you take those arguments to extremes that make no sens and have no relation with the first argument in the end, often attacking the posters at the same time. (Slippery slope, ad hominem...).

Nobody here is an expert. We're all regular fans with differing opinions.

And by the way, in which world would buying 10 left backs be a good example for what you are trying to argue or against what others are trying to argue?
Liverpool won those trophies with a left-back bought from Hull City for 8m.

What other areas of need should we address with this 15m? Everyone on the Caf wants a CB but 1) we're not even linked with anyone, not least because we can't seem to get rid of any of the 388714 centre-backs we do have, 2) who is even out there? Upamecano seems to be the favourite and he's unattainable this summer.
I suppose I shouldn't be so negative... Telles may turn out to be a fine left back. Maybe he'll be selected for the PL team of the season, which would be fantastic.

The 30,000 foot view is that this transfer period, in my opinion, has been pretty poor. We had real momentum at the close of last season. I know this is a pandemic, etc, etc, but better leadership of the club would take that as an opportunity to bring in truly world class players. Other clubs saw this as an opportunity (Chelsea, City, Everton, Spurs).

In a vacuum, I support this transfer. But the failure to, as most of you have mentioned, sell our deadwood to reduce our wage bill, fill our needs (RW, CB, DM are top priorities in my opinion), and construct a squad with a chance to challenge for the league and trophies is worrisome.

It's hard to get excited for a LB signing that probably won't move the needle. Does Telles' contribution bring us into top 4 contention? I doubt it. It's more of a treading water type of move, and given Shaw's injury history, probably needed. If I had to guess, maybe a Gabriel Heinze type of addition? Solid, but isn't going to win you trophies, especially when you have so many other holes throughout the pitch.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I suppose I shouldn't be so negative... Telles may turn out to be a fine left back. Maybe he'll be selected for the PL team of the season, which would be fantastic.

The 30,000 foot view is that this transfer period, in my opinion, has been pretty poor. We had real momentum at the close of last season. I know this is a pandemic, etc, etc, but better leadership of the club would take that as an opportunity to bring in truly world class players. Other clubs saw this as an opportunity (Chelsea, City, Everton, Spurs).

In a vacuum, I support this transfer. But the failure to, as most of you have mentioned, sell our deadwood to reduce our wage bill, fill our needs (RW, CB, DM are top priorities in my opinion), and construct a squad with a chance to challenge for the league and trophies is worrisome.

It's hard to get excited for a LB signing that probably won't move the needle. Does Telles' contribution bring us into top 4 contention? I doubt it. It's more of a treading water type of move, and given Shaw's injury history, probably needed. If I had to guess, maybe a Gabriel Heinze type of addition? Solid, but isn't going to win you trophies, especially when you have so many other holes throughout the pitch.
Surely he can play better than Luke Shaw did yesterday, so that is an improvement in itself.

beingshe7don

Yet all were highly rated, regular starters at their previous clubs. Do you think, maybe they just had a bad game?
United are looking to play a higher line which puts immense pressure on our defense since they are not necessarily quick or good on the ball or are great at positioning themselves. Maguire does not fit our team philosophy. Bailly is prone to errors, Luke Shaw is not good going forward and has been horrendous defensively and AWB is not good going forward.

Here are the issues
1. Maguire played with a team whereby he had Johnny Evans playing beside him and more importantly, he had the best DM in the PL with Ndidi playing ahead of him. He does not have that luxury at United and he's been found out.
2. Bailly was bought because of being a good prospect and he wasn't really uprooting trees at Villareal. He had a good first season but his decision making is suspect and he's injury-prone.
3. Luke Shaw was also a great prospect at Southampton but after this injury, he hasn't really gotten to his best.
4. AWB was good at Palace because he had Zaha playing ahead of him. He didn't need to offer anything in attack but just had to protect Zaha but at United our RW offers nothing and is expected to be RWB which hasn't worked at all.

LARulz

To be fair, when I used to play FM and FIFA, j used to love signing him. So am actually glad

Dan_F

Not happy with the reported fee.

cant see why we didn’t pay £10m more and get him in 24 hours earlier.
Are you still banging on about this. People were saying a left back should have been signed 2 months ago, not 24 hours ago. No one has an issue with us negotiating a good price, but you’re acting like the only way to negotiate is by leaving it till the last day of the window.

Alemar

He is officially our player. Please open a thread in player performance section

Status
Not open for further replies.