Alexander Buttner | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottish_red

Just signed on a 5 year deal. On the official site now

Ferguson on the player
Alexander is one of the best young left backs in Europe and we're delighted to sign him. He's someone we've been watching for a while now. He gives us some really exciting options in that position.
On signing for us, Büttner said
Joining Manchester United is one of the best days of my life, It's a team I have admired for many years now and I can't wait to join my teammates and play my part in helping the club be successful.

Welcome to the club Alexander

Cina

A fecking left back? We need more wingers dammit!

Andrew~

Couldn't think of a good enough pun for this. :(

Welcome to the club!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Can play at both flanks and can also play in midfield.

scottish_red

From an atricle i read on him, he seems like a determined character with a humble upbringing and this translates on the pitch. If anything its just good we have competition for left-back, as i think most fans agree Evra's standards seem to be dwindling.

Smores

Exciting options is basically saying he's a backup. Looking forward to seeing him play, cup games I imagine.

He's got good experience in Dutch football and our scouts seem to think he's one of the best in his position. I'm excited to see what he can bring to that LB spot. Hopefully he can deliver a good cross.

Welcome Büttner!

Levo

Band of Brothers
I'll be happy if he tracks back and pops a tackle in every now & then.

Cina

------- DDG
Rafael ------- Evra
Jones ------- Buttner
Valencia ----- Kagawa
Nani -------- Welbeck
Young ------- RVP

:drool:

scottish_red

good read on him.

Alexander Buttner, Vitesse’s confident left back

Vitesse is on its way back to the Dutch (sub)top, under the management and guidance of John van den Brom. And 22 year old Alexander Buttner, a product of the Ajax youth development, is one of the key players in that new team. He had his wanderings in the team, played on many different positions but he found his spot: left back. And as a result of Erik Pieters’ injury, he might even get into the starting line up of Holland’s finest.

We introduce Alexander Buttner. A special kid.

Buttner, the left back

“I made my debut under Aad de Mos, here at Vitesse. I was 17 years old. Sat down on the bench in a game against Twente and after three minutes he made me warm up and brought me on the left back spot. What a weird substitution. He did it again a week later. The media were all over him, haha and I made something of a name as I got yellow carded twice in my first game. It was weird for me to play left back, as I was a forward. I only played there once before. In the Ajax youth, I played playmaker and at Vitesse as left winger or left midfielder. I never wanted to be a left back. I think most left backs started as wingers or midfielders. Look at Bogarde, Van Bronckhorst, Numan… They started as creative players but found their spot. Most scouts don’t look at defenders in the youth, do they? They’re always focused on creative players… But I started to like the spot. I’m now 22 years old and have 90 Eredivisie games behind my name and half of those as left back. John van den Brom is responsible for this. He clearly sees it in me. As a former winger, I think i can take that experience with me into the game. I know how to make them feel there is nothing going for them when they play against me…. And as a former winger, I love moving up and engaging in the attack. I had several wingers talking to me on the pitch… “Are you going forward again??”. Most wingers hate running after a full back. I gain confidence every week… I played against the best wingers in the Eredivisie and none of them played me off the pitch. On the contrary, I owned them all….”

Buttner, the lad from the streets

“My biggest strength? I never give up. I was born in a suburb in Doetinchem, called the Camp. My grandparents lived in a camp you know, like a trailer camp and the Romas? There is a different culture there. I’m sorry I never lived in one of the trailers. The vibe apparently was really cool. I was a real street urchin. A little rat. I was always playing football on the streets and it was a tough education, I can tell you. I was pretty good so I was invited to play with the older kids but they didn’t spare me… The trailer camps have a bad reputation in Holland. People think everybody grows weed there but it’s not true. Most camps don’t like to do any illegal and if something happens, it’s taken care of within the clan. We take care of our own problems, but we also defend and support each other. That loyalty is key. I am a trailer camp kid, and I’m proud of it.”
Buttner, an Ajax kid

“When I was 10 years old, basically all the clubs in Holland wanted me. The top clubs and Vitesse… Ajax was my favorite. Partly because they do have the best youth development system. They wanted me so badly, they offered my parents a house in Amsterdam, so we could build a new life there. But my parents refused. Because of that, my youth was spent on the highway. We left home at 6 am to drive to Amersfoort. That was where my school was. I’d travel by train to Amsterdam to train. Then I’d do some homework at the club and my dad would pick me up again at 7. We would normally be home and in bed around 11 pm. And the next morning, at 6 am, we were in the car. My youth was Ajax, Ajax, Ajax. And my dear dad drove 1000s of kilometers for me. Without him, I would never have been a pro. But the trips weren’t that nice, as my dad was extremely critical. Nothing was ever good. I could play the best games and score three times, he’d constantly tell me what I did wrong. I sometimes hated that. But other kids had parents who would tell them how wonderful they were and most of these kids didn’t make it… I played in all the teams until my 16th birthday. I usually played in older teams as Ajax wanted me to gain more power. And when I turned 16, Ajax wanted to put me in a host family in Amsterdam, so I could focus even more on Ajax… I heard stories from other kids at Ajax about how boring that life was, so I didn’t want to do it. I knew that if I was really good, I would get my chance. Feyenoord and PSV immediately came into view, but I would have similar problems with traveling. So I decided to go to Vitesse. And a year later, I made my debut… But sometimes I look at my old team mates, Vurnon Anita and Toby Alderweireld and see them play against Real Madrid and Manchester United… And I think “I could have been in that team….”. But, my time will come.”

Buttner, the professional

“My dad being so critical is because he played pro football for De Graafschap, FC Twente, Vitesse and NEC. According to people who worked with him, he was a huge talent but he never made it big. He was a bon vivant. Never really lived for the sport. Loved a beer, loved a party. I heard stories how he turned his car around whenever he came into a traffic jam. Then he simply decided that he wouldn’t train that day. Guus Hiddink remembers him too and whenever I see Hiddink, he always says with a smile: “Don’t go the same path as your dad!”… And I won’t. I don’t drink, I live for football. Another big name coach I learned a lot from is Aad de Mos. He talked with me one on one and once said: If you play your cards right, you can become a really big player… That was fantastic… I could make a jump last summer but I decided to stay at Vitesse. I still live with my mum but this coming season, I will live together with my girl friend. I have no haste. My career won’t run away from me…”

Buttner, and his holiday plans this summer

“Oranje is a huge ambition, for sure. Every player sees that as the top. And I know that there aren’t too many great left backs, so yeah… The players at Vitesse joked about in recent months. “Don’t book a holiday” they all said. But we’ll see. As I said earlier, I am in no hurry. I’ll take every day as it comes.”

http://netherlands.worldcupblog.org...der-buttner-vitesses-confident-left-back.html

Shrek

FergiesRedNose
------- DDG
Rafael ------- Evra
Jones ------- Buttner
Valencia ----- Kagawa
Nani -------- Welbeck
Young ------- RVP

:drool:
So he has been bought to help out with SAF's new master tactics using the "Polo mint" formation. (Everything on the outside and a hole in the middle :drool: )

Welcome to United Butterballs :D

Cina

I'm telling you, it makes sense. People on here will have no reason to complain because teams can't bypass our midfield anymore.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I had been meaning to mention this rumoured signing, he's a street kid that will bring an edge. Very confident and fearless. I have never seen him play but you have to love that sort of personality for a footballer.

Plus, he's more likely to transition easier as a result

Sam

That video has certainly raised my expectation level.

He looks a very tidy player going forward. Good pace on him, has a trick or two, can put in a cross, and has one hell of a shot on him. Hope he can defend as well...exciting times. Thank feck he got his hair cut btw! :lol:

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
He does seem to have a good shot on him. Always a nice attribute to have - Evra and Rafael find themselves in countless positions where they could take a pop at goal, but pass instead.

Nothing wrong with that - but it's nice to have an option of someone who can leather one if given the space; like Scholes.

Edit; And as Sam said, he does seem to be able to cross the ball pretty well. Seems to have a variability to them as well; not just a drill into the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.