Alexander Buttner | 2012/13 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anduin

:houllier:

It was Buttner who came across to cover late, and then made a half hearted challenge.
He had to cover because Vidic was out of position and nowhere to be seen. Watch the goal again and keep your smilies to yourself. I'm playing CB myself and if we concede a goal like this my coach tears me to shreds for leaving acres of space in behind.

I admit Buttner was late to react, but this is CB territory and Vidic left a big gapping hole in behind. Doesn't matter, we won, Buttner won't play for weeks and we move on.

Cevno

I posted the video above. Vidic has hardly gone half a step ahead to cover for the reading player standing alone in front of him. Out of posiiton and nowhere to be seen when he's back there next to Buttner when he tackles ?

I mean he is a top notch defender but it would take a super human effort to stop the cross there and know in advance before the crossing motion where it is going.

Buttner had to come across the middle quickly when this happens and when he reached should have made a decent challenge. And don't get me started on Smalling's footwork.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Vidic is 100% responsible for the goal...

he went forward i dont know why, 2 or 3 meters, enough to left his man alone when Smalling cleared the ball.

what has Buttner to do with this? xd

he didnt have a very good game overall, just ok, but blame him for the goal? cmon...

Cevno

He's not been great even for the U21's/Reserves when he's played there.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
On another note, Buttner impressed me again last night, always a bit eager to get forward gung ho like a younger Rafael was when he wanted to impress, with a bit of maturity to control his decision making on what he does with them attributes, could definitely turn into a desent enough LB... Good work ethic, strong on the ball and looked to get involved and has quite a strong foot in the challenge, just would like to see more positioning work from him.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Some people are being rather harsh on the lad I'd say... probably because they're expecting the world or something. He was fine last night, showed some neat touches, whipped in some good balls and was okay defensively (certainly not the worst defending in the league or whatever nonsense was beings spouted on the last page)... He wasn't exactly the best left back in the world, but then we don't need him to be. He's our back-up left back who we need to step-in and do a job every 6 or 7 games, a job which he is fine at doing.

Fabio has hardly been brilliant for QPR this season.

SirFergie

So now he's getting criticised for trying to win the ball back from a mistake that wasn't even his? I'm sure some of you live to fecking nitpick at the slightest thing. Buttner played well last night. It's perfectly clear that his positioning and strength have got a lot better than when he first came here and although he made a few slight mistakes he's getting better. Get off his back.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
As a defender myself, positioning, tackling, and man marking are much easier to master than ball skill. You just need experience to read the game and learn the tricks to outsmart your opponent, and better physical attributes.

Andrew~

Don't understand all the criticism he's getting here, I thought he put in a decent showing last night.

Don't Kill Bill

His best game since his debut, other than the fact I can't seem to tell him from Cleverely, which is annoying.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
His best game since his debut, other than the fact I can't seem to tell him from Cleverely, which is annoying.
They're indistinguishable at anywhere further away than tattoo level.

The only way to tell them apart is that Tom generally knows what he's about to do before he gets the ball, whereas you get the feeling Buttner doesn't even know what he's done after he's done it.

Stretch

The only way to tell them apart is that Tom generally knows what he's about to do before he gets the ball, whereas you get the feeling Buttner doesn't even know what he's done after he's done it.
:lol: Feck, that's so true.

Verminator

Tell me about it!
The number of times I thought,"What the fook is he doing there?" was ridiculous!

prateik

There wasnt much to complain about really.
I'm surprised people are criticizing him

Ekeke

Agree that his tackle was too weak, not surprised though. For me he clearly has more work to do on his defending than Fabio does. Yeah he put in some fairly decent crosses last night but I don't believe he does it better than our other fullbacks. In fact I'm not even sure he's better at it than Evra

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I just don't really understand what made us sign him. Clearly defending's not his forté, that's fine, but he's not really impressive going forward either. He's fairly comfortable on the ball but at the same time he's clumsy (a bit like Welbeck), he's got a good cross on him, he's quick...that's about it. He just seems like a stupid footballer.

DevilRed

Clearly he was signed as a backup in case (godforbid) Evra went down.

Nowhere near the quality of left back we have come to expect though. Fabio will probably leapfrog him in the squad when he returns next year.

Cevno

Think it was a panic signing to a degree as we realized that Blackett wasn't ready and Brady wasn't a LB.

We may have trying to get another LB before, but panicked and picked a cheap backup as we had no backup at all. Not that much to lose, tbf.

Castia

Think he will be out on loan in Holland next season, Fabio will be back and challenging for Evra's spot we really dont need 3 LB's.

Revan

Assumptionman
I just don't really understand what made us sign him. Clearly defending's not his forté, that's fine, but he's not really impressive going forward either. He's fairly comfortable on the ball but at the same time he's clumsy (a bit like Welbeck), he's got a good cross on him, he's quick...that's about it. He just seems like a stupid footballer.
The only thing the transfer makes sense is if he was signed just to give rest Evra for about 5 games. When Fabio returns I can see us offloading him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
100 per cent agree.

Will Absolute

For a club that paid 7 million for Bebe, the Buttner signing was something of a coup.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
He was quite obviously just a "punt" of a signing. Ferguson has a history of these types of signings; some develop into useful squad players, others go the other way. Park was one such signing who turned out to be a success; he cost a similar amount to Buttner, came from the same league and many considered him to be just a squad player at best. Others like Tosic don't work out and never come out of their shell in a United shirt.

Every club makes these kind of signings. They won't win you a league title, but they can make keep the first-teamers on their toes with the competition for places. I think it's no coincidence this is Evra's best league campaign for nearly three years and it's come when Buttner has been pushing him for his place.

binary bot
If we have strong hopes for Fabio then the transfer was just a stopgap signing where we could easily recoup the money back because of his age.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Park was MOTM in a CL semi-final against Milan, it's absurd that you'd put him in the same bracket. Also Tosic was clearly a very gifted footballer, I agree he was a punt but you could see why we went for him. Even someone like Mame Diouf showed glimpses of raw potential. I've seen none of that from Buttner. It's just strange.

Cevno

He was quite obviously just a "punt" of a signing. Ferguson has a history of these types of signings; some develop into useful squad players, others go the other way. Park was one such signing who turned out to be a success; he cost a similar amount to Buttner, came from the same league and many considered him to be just a squad player at best. Others like Tosic don't work out and never come out of their shell in a United shirt.

Every club makes these kind of signings. They won't win you a league title, but they can make keep the first-teamers on their toes with the competition for places. I think it's no coincidence this is Evra's best league campaign for nearly three years and it's come when Buttner has been pushing him for his place.
Park wasn't a punt signing at all. He was impressing in CL and World Cup Semi's and a established player.

He was bought as a squad player and did exactly that.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Park was bossing Champions League matches and playing in World Cups before we signed him. :houllier:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Like others have said he was just signed almost like an emergency back up to the freakish Evra. He's still young enough to get better too.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Its odd because he doesn't seem to have been signed for his footballing ability. Basically looks like he's been signed to give Evra a kick up the arse without actually threatening his starting spot. In a way its worked because this has been Evra's best season in a while.

But I don't think we've actually ever made this type of signing before.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Park wasn't a punt signing at all. He was impressing in CL and World Cup Semi's and a established player.

He was bought as a squad player and did exactly that.
Jermaine Pennant was one of the stand-out performers in the Champions League Final in 2007. Djimi Traore was excellent in the 2005 Final. Should we have signed these as well?

Park, and let's not start the revisionism now, was at best a limited footballer who was blessed with incredible stamina and a half-decent footballing brain. He wasn't even South Korea's best performer at their home World Cup either.

He was certainly brought in as a "punt", and he more paid back his transfer fee with his performances in our shirt. I can't see how anyone would have predicted how influential he'd become with us and how much faith Fergie had in him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Evans is a better option at left back than Buttner. There. Said it.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Jermaine Pennant was one of the stand-out performers in the Champions League Final in 2007. Djimi Traore was excellent in the 2005 Final. Should we have signed these as well?

Park, and let's not start the revisionism now, was at best a limited footballer who was blessed with incredible stamina and a half-decent footballing brain. He wasn't even South Korea's best performer at their home World Cup either.
The only one here doing the "revisionism" on Park is you.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I quite like Buttner. He's raw, and he's never going to be amazing, but he's surprisingly skilful, quick and persistent, and generally seems like a complete mentalist.
Yeah so do i. Not quite sure what the obsession is with piling on players who have barely played for us.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He's really likeable. Just not all that good.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

He was certainly brought in as a "punt", and he more paid back his transfer fee with his performances in our shirt. I can't see how anyone would have predicted how influential he'd become with us and how much faith Fergie had in him.
Park certainly became more influential than we thought he would but I'm not sure that makes him a "punt" though. I think we were pretty certain when we signed him that he would at least be a good squad player, he had already proven he was at least at that level. The likes of Buttner and Bebe were higher risk signings that we took a chance on.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.