Alexis Mac Allister | Moves to Liverpool for 35m according to Romano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
One we should keep an eye on for the Eriksen role?

The plan is for Mac Allister to leave Brighton in the summer, to take a step forward. Several clubs asked in January, without going into depth, but in recent weeks some have returned to probe the possible purchase of the player. Liverpool is one of them.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's good but I think we should sign Sabitzer and also bring in a younger midfielder with high potential.

Oranges038

He's the perfect replacement Henderson at Liverpool under Klopp.

For that reason alone I'd sign him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don’t think he’s a special player really. A good workhorse in a midfield but no real standout quality. Someone I’d take if available for 30-40m but not a ridiculous 60-80m fee.

arthurka

I don’t think he’s a special player really. A good workhorse in a midfield but no real standout quality. Someone I’d take if available for 30-40m but not a ridiculous 60-80m fee.
30-40m that is pretty much not happening.

marktan

He's not as technical as Eriksen. He's closer to Fred.

The Henderson comparison is a good one actually, hard working and has quality on the ball when needed. Would be a good match for Liverpool.

alquemyst

He's another Mcginn.

With the way ETH is progressing the squad, we should aim for a higher caliber player with higher potential.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Brighton will probably get ~£150m for Caicedo and Mac Allister. More incredible business.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No thanks. He's just an all rounder in style who provides energy to a team. Loads of them around in football, we have Fred, Sabitzer and McTominay. We'll need to get rid of one of them at the very least, as all 3 are bench players when everyone is fit.

We need a deep playmaker who is press resistant and can move with the ball (Frenkie of course the dream). We also need a long term replacement for Casemiro who can be a backup for him too. You can't turn a box to box into a defensive mid. We just need a defensive mid who understands positioning and the nuances of being a DM and can learn off Casemiro to replace him when the time comes.

InfiniteBoredom

If you don’t know about the names and watch Argentina’s games at the WC, you wouldn’t think Enzo is miles about him, or in fact, at all.

I think he’s a very underrated player, great engine, doesn’t lose the ball easily, passes it short very well, has a goal in him. Obviously not a Casemiro back up but can and has been deputised at DM in an emergency. Still very young at 24. If the price is in the 50-60m range and we can recoup most of that from selling McTominay and VdB, it would be a no brainer really.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
A superb bench option although not sure if he would improve our first choice XI by much.

Mmm-Qatarian

He falls into the "I'd like him but not at the price tag he's going to cost" bracket. If I thought there was a chance we might get him for around 40-50 million I'd say we should have a look, but I reckon Brighton will want closer to 70-80 million and I just don't think he's worth that.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
One of the few Premier League players I love almost as much as I do United players.

He’d be excellent for us to progress the ball in midfield, sitting just ahead of Casemiro in the no.8 role.

The fee would be sizeable (£70m ish) but as others have said, Van de Beek and McTominay sales would almost cancel it out.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
If you don’t know about the names and watch Argentina’s games at the WC, you wouldn’t think Enzo is miles about him, or in fact, at all.

I think he’s a very underrated player, great engine, doesn’t lose the ball easily, passes it short very well, has a goal in him. Obviously not a Casemiro back up but can and has been deputised at DM in an emergency. Still very young at 24. If the price is in the 50-60m range and we can recoup most of that from selling McTominay and VdB, it would be a no brainer really.
That is the proverbial, ‘big if’

InfiniteBoredom

That is the proverbial, ‘big if’
The big if is his price. McTominay was linked with Newcastle for about 30m, and bad as DvB has been we should still able to sell him for 12m or so, plus some add-ons, at a minimum (Garner went for 8 ish with bonuses up to 10 iirc). Obviously if Brighton want 70/80m then it’s not worth it, but spending a net 30m or so and upgrade from the two of them to MacAllister and Sabitzer is an easy trade.

izec

Yes please, he is an (expensive) upgrade on Sabitzer. An all round midfielder that can do it all. He would be perfect for most top clubs in the league.

dinostar77

He's the perfect replacement Henderson at Liverpool under Klopp.
Id agree. Sort of player who could replace Henderson/Wijnaldum in the liverpool system. They need proper grafters like him in midfield to allow their fullbacks to push on and they plug the holes.

For utd? Nah i dont see him fitting the ETH system. As a previous poster said we need alternatives to ericsson and casemiro for when they are out injured/suspended/fatigued.

He would replace neither.

Scholsey2004

Looks very mobile. Good energy, good pace, good pressing. I can see him and Fernandes breaking at pace together very well. The price is the question mark. Difficult to ignore the Tielemans situation as well. If we can sign a quality long term solution for free then that leaves more money for elsewhere.

Raven

He's impressed me every time I've seen him play, would love for us to get him.

Valencia Shin Crosses

No thanks. He's just an all rounder in style who provides energy to a team. Loads of them around in football, we have Fred, Sabitzer and McTominay. We'll need to get rid of one of them at the very least, as all 3 are bench players when everyone is fit.

We need a deep playmaker who is press resistant and can move with the ball (Frenkie of course the dream). We also need a long term replacement for Casemiro who can be a backup for him too. You can't turn a box to box into a defensive mid. We just need a defensive mid who understands positioning and the nuances of being a DM and can learn off Casemiro to replace him when the time comes.
Comparing Macallister to McTominay is a crime

bosnian_red

Comparing Macallister to McTominay is a crime
It's a style of play comparison. Which is 100% accurate. Mac Allister is no better than Fred, and while he's better than McTominay, he wouldn't improve us in the slightest and would be a pointless squad member.

bosnian_red

A superb bench option although not sure if he would improve our first choice XI by much.
He wouldn't start for us when all are fit, probably is roughly similar level to Sabitzer though Sabitzer more defensive than Mac Allister. I don't think he is better than Fred. He'd be a very pointless squad member for us. We don't need a player like him, we have to sell one in McTominay as it is and when Eriksen returns there will barely be a spot for Sabitzer anyway.

Levi1

Never been impressed by him. He did alright in the world cup but only because others papered over his weaknesses and because they played 3 in midfield.

Admittedly, I dont watch Brighton- do they play with 3 in midfield too?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
The big if is his price. McTominay was linked with Newcastle for about 30m, and bad as DvB has been we should still able to sell him for 12m or so, plus some add-ons, at a minimum (Garner went for 8 ish with bonuses up to 10 iirc). Obviously if Brighton want 70/80m then it’s not worth it, but spending a net 30m or so and upgrade from the two of them to MacAllister and Sabitzer is an easy trade.
I just can’t get my head around McTominay fetching that sum….but you’re probably right that he will and it’s just my personal bias saying he won’t

Sir Erik ten Hag

How will you compare him to the likes of Declan Rice or Ruben Neves?

Oranges038

Id agree. Sort of player who could replace Henderson/Wijnaldum in the liverpool system. They need proper grafters like him in midfield to allow their fullbacks to push on and they plug the holes.

For utd? Nah i dont see him fitting the ETH system. As a previous poster said we need alternatives to ericsson and casemiro for when they are out injured/suspended/fatigued.

He would replace neither.
Yeah, he doesn't suit the profile of midfielder Utd need at the minute.

I'd only sign him just so Liverpool don't.

Bondi77

We are talking about him probably because his agent wants to maximise his exposure of being a world champion but in truth he is a decent player playing at his level at Brighton....nothing more and nothing less.

Hughes35

He falls into the "I'd like him but not at the price tag he's going to cost" bracket. If I thought there was a chance we might get him for around 40-50 million I'd say we should have a look, but I reckon Brighton will want closer to 70-80 million and I just don't think he's worth that.
This is how he sits in my mind too.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How will you compare him to the likes of Declan Rice or Ruben Neves?
Neves, the same. Good squad player for United but doesn't offer much more than a Fred does. Rice I think is the level above that. Good enough to be a starter but still not top quality. Tier above that would be someone like Caicedo.

I know Wijnaldum was playing for a relegated Newcastle but cost only 23m. I don't see what MacAllister will offer to Liverpool that he doesn't so to spend 60m+ would be money better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Should put a bid for him. The intro should be "This is a british bid from a british club for a british player"

UpWithRivers

Classic grass is always greener. He is no better than any of our midfielders. Even McTominay. And he's definitely not better than Sabitzer and Eriksen. His progressive passes and progressive carries are really poor and he doesn't assist. He is press resistant and can dribble a bit can put in a tackle. Don't get me wrong he's a good player but asking if he is better than Rice or that he will go for a British transfer record is fkn nuts. He will be a decent functional player in a 3. Never a double pivot. In fact he plays 10 for Brighton doesn't he?

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Neves, the same. Good squad player for United but doesn't offer much more than a Fred does. Rice I think is the level above that. Good enough to be a starter but still not top quality. Tier above that would be someone like Caicedo.
Neves is excellent on the ball with both feet though. He's a reliable replacement for Eriksen, if not out right better. Rice is a lot more mobile but we cannot afford to spend on another DM of that caliber after Casemiro.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Neves is excellent on the ball with both feet though. He's a reliable replacement for Eriksen, if not out right better. Rice is a lot more mobile but we cannot afford to spend on another DM of that caliber after Casemiro.
That's fair, I wasn't really discussing in terms of what is best for United, just who I rate higher than the other etc. I see Neves and MacAllister as rotational options for big clubs and Rice as a starter but think you can get better players than all of them if you want to spend a big fee. I don't think that the former three would be worth the 60-80m fee that their clubs likely would want whereas someone like Caicedo is.

Status
Not open for further replies.