Alexis Mac Allister | Moves to Liverpool for 35m according to Romano

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinostar77

If liverpool met and paid his release clause fee then fair enough, they saved some money. Same way we will save money by paying Jae's release clause fee to napoli. Swings and roundabouts.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, I'm splitting the difference. In the same way we probably paid 35/40m for Amad. No transfer can be predicted to be a guaranteed success, but for the price it's very smart investing.

Maybe, we will see in the coming weeks, but it's undeniably a good bit of business, done very early - which was supposed to be our MO this summer.
Going by the reports we will pay that much for Amad if he makes a career at ManUtd. Initial fee was around 18-20 million.

I don't know what difference it makes if the player is signed now or after 2-3 weeks, all we need is most of the players should be available for preseason.

Yeah this has potential to be a good signing but it's hilarious how he is "scholes type", "modric type" player. He is good player but nothing like them in quality or playing style.

Castia

Fair play to Liverpool they've got this one done early and at a great price

Valencia Shin Crosses

Licha was less than 60m euros right? Not a steal but a good deal nonetheless (if we can look at our business with Ajax on a player by player basis, not as a whole)
I mean it’s good business looking at it now Absolutley. I’m more talking about perceived value. Licha was about market rate. Not a bad fee but not a “steal” either was the sentiment when we signed him. Varane for 27m everyone agreed was extremely cheap given his quality and credentials.

Valencia Shin Crosses

BBC, Brighton journalists reported fee as 55 million, i don't know why it's considered as low fee or considered as a guaranteed successful transfer.

Maybe we reached out his agent and he wanted only Liverpool? Or maybe both clubs wanted to sign Mount and once Mount said he wants to join ManUtd, Liverpool moved on?
I mean I don’t think anyone thinks it’s “a guaranteed successful transfer” but it’s £35m for a player that was very good last year both for Brighton and Argentina and fits tactically what Liverpool want to do. It’s a great price for that profile considering we are looking at paying almost double for a similar player profile coming off a poor season in the same league.

These types of small decisions add up over time, nothing is a guarantee but make enough signings of good value and you end up with a very good squad at the end of it. It gives you more bullets in the chamber for other swings at players.

roonster09

Scout
I mean I don’t think anyone thinks it’s “a guaranteed successful transfer” but it’s £35m for a player that was very good last year both for Brighton and Argentina and fits tactically what Liverpool want to do. It’s a great price for that profile considering we are looking at paying almost double for a similar player profile coming off a poor season in the same league.

These types of small decisions add up over time, nothing is a guarantee but make enough signings of good value and you end up with a very good squad at the end of it. It gives you more bullets in the chamber for other swings at players.
Why do everyone take the lowest reported fee for rivals and highest fee for ManUtd?

Brighton journalist and BBC reported 55 million, even Liverpool journalists reported 45 million but somehow Romano tweet is taken as the ultimate truth.

Also if you want to talk about Mount (player I don't rate highly, just like Mac Allister), he scored 11 goals and 10 assists in 2021-22 season alone, that's more than Mac Allister's entire PL career. Apart from this season his stats are better in every season compared to Mac Allister's best season.

Mac Allister scored 4 goals from open play and had 2 assists, he played in free flowing Brighton team this season and as an attacking mid in most games.
Mount in his worst season scored 3 goals and 2 assists. Before that 11 goals + 10 assists, 5 goals + 5 assists, 7 goals + 5 assists.

Even if you go to advance stats like xA, progress carries, Progressive passes, Mount ranks better than Mac Allister's best season in most of his seasons.

I don't know why all of a sudden Mac Allister became this "unmissable" player. If we are talking about Caicedo then yes I agree about that but Mac Allister is not a special player, he is a decent to good player.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sad to see a player would rather join Liverpool than United, after the season we had. Because if United were not in for him at 35M, then there's something wrong with our recruitment.
Why, because our coaches don’t rate him as a player in the same way as you? Nonsense

golden_blunder

Staff
Why do everyone take the lowest reported fee for rivals and highest fee for ManUtd?

Brighton journalist and BBC reported 55 million, even Liverpool journalists reported 35 million but somehow Romano tweet is taken as the ultimate truth.

Also if you want to talk about Mount (player I don't rate highly, just like Mac Allister), he scored 11 goals and 10 assists in 2021-22 season alone, that's more than Mac Allister's entire PL career. Apart from this season his stats are better in every season compared to Mac Allister's best season.

Mac Allister scored 4 goals from open play and had 2 assists, he played in free flowing Brighton team this season and as an attacking mid in most games.
Mount in his worst season scored 3 goals and 2 assists. Before that 11 goals + 10 assists, 5 goals + 5 assists, 7 goals + 5 assists.

Even if you go to advance stats like xA, progress carries, Progressive passes, Mount ranks better than Mac Allister's best season in most of his seasons.

I don't know why all of a sudden Mac Allister became this "unmissable" player. If we are talking about Caicedo then yes I agree about that but Mac Allister is not a special player, he is a decent to good player.
Mount and MacAllister, it’s like comparing carrick and Rooney. Different types of player

I don’t see what all the fuss is about. He will do well in liverpools system no doubt but as an individual plopped into United, I don’t see what he improves drastically

roonster09

Scout
Mount and MacAllister, it’s like comparing carrick and Rooney. Different types of player

I don’t see what all the fuss is about. He will do well in liverpools system no doubt but as an individual plopped into United, I don’t see what he improves drastically
I don't see them as vastly different players, they are more or less similar skillset player. It's not like comparing Rooney with Carrick, more like Carrick with Barry, both CMs but one plays bit more advanced role than other.

Anyways agreed with the actual point. He will do well for them, they need a player like him but I don't really see what all the fuss is about. We can't sign every player.

golden_blunder

Staff
I don't see them as vastly different players, they are more or less similar skillset player. It's not like comparing Rooney with Carrick, more like Carrick with Barry, both CMs but one plays bit more advanced role than other.

Anyways agreed with the actual point. He will do well for them, they need a player like him but I don't really see what all the fuss is about. We can't sign every player.
Tbh I couldn’t think of an example but Barry is probably a good one

izec

35 + 20 is a great price for a very good player. No wonder Liverpool were all over this from the go.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Who keeps jumping the gun with thread title updates recently?

Mount first with the “personal terms agreed” stuff and now taking the word of the perennial bluffer Romano over seemingly many reputable sources saying £55m?

Valencia Shin Crosses

Brighton journalist and BBC reported 55 million, even Liverpool journalists reported 45 million but somehow Romano tweet is taken as the ultimate truth.

I literally just said that Macallister is NOT some “unmissable” player in the post you quoted, I said he was good and the right profile for Liverpool coming off of a great season. As far as stats go, well it’s a bit pointless comparing him to Mount when Mount was largely played in a much more attacking role as a hybrid forward at Chelsea where he thrived. Would you also compare stats between Bellingham and De Jong? Of course not.

Point is Macallister plays a position that we are targeting Mount for (and does so a bit more naturally going off past performances from both in a true midfield role) and Liverpool got him for what is a bit of a no brainer deal because they paid the release clause, while we are tarting paying 50% more money for a player that is coming off the worst season of his career on the last year of his contract.

Do you not understand how one decision seems to be better transfer practice than the other?

roonster09

Scout
I literally just said that Macallister is NOT some “unmissable” player in the post you quoted, I said he was good and the right profile for Liverpool coming off of a great season. As far as stats go, well it’s a bit pointless comparing him to Mount when Mount was largely played in a much more attacking role as a hybrid forward at Chelsea where he thrived. Would you also compare stats between Bellingham and De Jong? Of course not.

Point is Macallister plays a position that we are targeting Mount for (and does so a bit more naturally going off past performances from both in a true midfield role) and Liverpool got him for what is a bit of a no brainer deal because they paid the release clause, while we are tarting paying 50% more money for a player that is coming off the worst season of his career on the last year of his contract.

Do you not understand how one decision seems to be better transfer practice than the other?
Mac Allister and Mount largely play same role. Both of them played attacking role.

Mac Allister cost 55 million, Mount will cost around same unless you believe we will sign him for 80 million.

No, i don't see why this is better transfer than signing Mount for 55-60 million.

Apart from all that, do you know whether Mac Allister was approached and he said no? Or maybe both clubs wanted Mount as their first choice and Mount wanted ManUtd?

Now do you understand how silly it is to moan about every transfer as if footballing world revolves around ManUtd and transfer Market moves are based on what decisions ManUtd make?

Valencia Shin Crosses

Mac Allister and Mount largely play same role. Both of them played attacking role.

Mac Allister cost 55 million, Mount will cost around same unless you believe we will sign him for 80 million.

No, i don't see why this is better transfer than signing Mount for 55-60 million.

Apart from all that, do you know whether Mac Allister was approached and he said no? Or maybe both clubs wanted Mount as their first choice and Mount wanted ManUtd?

Now do you understand how silly it is to moan about every transfer as if footballing world revolves around ManUtd and transfer Market moves are based on what decisions ManUtd make?
Did you watch both Mount and Macallister ? Because they played much different roles. Mount in the Tuchel sides was a right sided hybrid forward playing in front of a midfield 3 (Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic), while Macallister played in a midfield 3 himself alongside Caicedo as an energetic 8.

As far as why it’s a better option than Mount for more money, I think tactical fit and recent form should be taken into account, along with , as I said before, the fact that the more expensive player is also on the last year of a deal. Bailing a club out of that is just bad business.

And people are “inserting United” into this discussion because he plays a position we are crying out for and have been linked with for 6 months now. This isn’t like people crying that we didn’t sign Messi or someone completely irrelevant. It’s a valid discussion with Macallister though

roonster09

Scout
Did you watch both Mount and Macallister ? Because they played much different roles. Mount in the Tuchel sides was a right sided hybrid forward playing in front of a midfield 3 (Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic), while Macallister played in a midfield 3 himself alongside Caicedo as an energetic 8.

As far as why it’s a better option than Mount for more money, I think tactical fit and recent form should be taken into account, along with , as I said before, the fact that the more expensive player is also on the last year of a deal. Bailing a club out of that is just bad business.

And people are “inserting United” into this discussion because he plays a position we are crying out for and have been linked with for 6 months now. This isn’t like people crying that we didn’t sign Messi or someone completely irrelevant. It’s a valid discussion with Macallister though
Mac Allister played attacking role for Brighton, even their heat map shows their involvement, while Mount was more of a wide player, Mac Allister involved a lot in final third.

I don't know about last season but this season Mac Allister played lot of games as attacking mid. Gross, Caicedo played in midfield and Mac Allister as attacking mid. Also in 2021-22 Kovacic started just 16 games. Their most used midfield was Kante, Jorginho with Mount as Attacking mid. Even in 2020-21, Kovacic, Kante, Jorginho started 20, 24, 23 games. So the midfield combination that you are talking about rarely happened as Kante and Kovacic were injury prone players.

Also we are not crying out for a player like Mac Allister? we are crying out for a ball magnet, someone like De Jong who is a high volume passer. Not players like Mac Allister or Mount.

Considering their profiles, achievements and a similar fee, I don't know why all of a sudden Mac Allister is a much better signing. Also you said we have been linked for 6 months, how do you know he didn't reject us and preferred to sign for Liverpool? Or how do you know Mount wasn't first choice target for Klopp when they were linked with them for months.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I do think Mac Allister is probably a bit better suited for us (in that free number 8 role that Eriksen played) while Mount is a better fit for Liverpool. This is probably the end for Thiago in Liverpool as Mac Allister - Thiago midfield would be too pedestrian and lacking energy. Just can't see Klopp going with that combo for the season.

In the end, neither of them (Mac Allister/Mount) are truly elite players and will hugely depend on how the whole team perform.

Highfather_24

He isn't a press-resistant, deep-lying midfielder.

You are massively overreacting.
Since when?
When did he become a press resistant deep lying playmaker?

The #10 here is McAllister against United this season in their 1-0 win. He plays as their #8 in the double pivot alongside Caicedo, and is a highly technical and press resistant player. That is a profile we need, as Mount is not really the player to pick the ball from the centre back and start attacks.

Why, because our coaches don’t rate him as a player in the same way as you? Nonsense
McAllister is a worldcup winner, and he played a very crucial part in their run. What you or I think is irrelevant, his performances and stats speak for themselves, and Klopp moving for him makes sense. A combination of his work ethic and technical ability would be a great fit for them.

Houdini

Better value for the money than Mount for the reported prices.

Crimson King

The #10 here is McAllister against United this season in their 1-0 win. He plays as their #8 in the double pivot alongside Caicedo, and is a highly technical and press resistant player. That is a profile we need, as Mount is not really the player to pick the ball from the centre back and start attacks.

McAllister is a worldcup winner, and he played a very crucial part in their run. What you or I think is irrelevant, his performances and stats speak for themselves, and Klopp moving for him makes sense. A combination of his work ethic and technical ability would be a great fit for them.

I'm not sure I'd use the heatmap from one game as fact of his best position, especially against a team running on fumes that barely press anyway.

Caicedo actually played RB in that game, and Gilmour played in the pivot alongside Mac Allister. In fact, Gilmour was probably the more notable of the two in that game. Mac Allister struggled to exert any real influence on the match, and is only really remembered at all because he scored the last minute penalty. Something he's good at, it's where most of his goals have come from.

If you look at a majority of the games from the turn of the year, when RdZ took over, he predominantly played as a #10. Groß played in midfield with Caicedo. That only changed for a few games when Veltman was injured, and Groß went to RB temporarily. In the game after they beat Utd, they were demolished by Everton at home when Mac Allister was playing in the DP again. The next game he was restored to #10 and they beat Arsenal 0-3 at the Emirates.

He isn't a DLP, and isn't suited to picking the ball off of from deep. His own manager only put him there when forced to by injuries, probably because he knows that defensively he's a liability. Those horrible defensive stats, and mediocre progressive passing figures, back that up.

At Liverpool he will most likely play high up the pitch as part of a midfield 3. I imagine he'll be the furthest forward most of the time, using his energy in a high press to try and win the ball back. He'll have plenty of defensive cover behind him with Fabinho. They're also looking to sign another CM, and they've mostly been linked with other players that have plenty of energy but also a bit more defensive nous.

He's not what United need at the moment in midfield.

Last edited:

dinostar77

I'm not sure I'd use the heatmap from one game as fact of his best position, especially against a team running on fumes that barely press anyway.

Caicedo actually played RB in that game, and Gilmour played in the pivot alongside Mac Allister. In fact, Gilmour was probably the more notable of the two in that game. Mac Allister struggled to exert any real influence on the match, and is only really remembered at all because he scored the last minute penalty. Something he's good at, it's where most of his goals have come from.

If you look at a majority of the games from the turn of the year, when RdZ took over, he predominantly played as a #10. Groß played in midfield with Caicedo. That only changed for a few games when Veltman was injured, and Groß went to RB temporarily. In the game after they beat Utd, they were demolished by Everton at home when Mac Allister was playing in the DP again. The next game he was restored to #10 and they beat Arsenal 0-3 at the Emirates.

He isn't a DLP, and isn't suited to picking the ball off of defenders gym deep. His own manager only put him there when forced to by injuries, probably because he knows that defensively he's a liability. Those horrible defensive stats, and mediocre progressive passing figures, back that up.

At Liverpool he will most likely play high up the pitch as part of a midfield 3. I imagine he'll be the furthest forward most of the time, using his energy in a high press to try and win the ball back. He'll have plenty of defensive cover behind him with Fabinho. They're also looking to sign another CM, and they've mostly been linked with other players that have plenty of energy but also a bit more defensive nous.

He's not what United need at the moment in midfield.
+1

Hes never been a deep lying playmaker. At the world cup that was enzo fernandez job.

Mac Allister skills are really well summed up in this video. He isnt what we need.

Last edited:

Highfather_24

McAllister has played more games this season as a CM, than as a #10.

Yes he played a more attacking role in the world cup, but he is much more naturally suited to play as an #8, and has played there to good effect, than Mason Mount.

The Athletic did a profile on him recently and describe him very well :

He is technically excellent, possessing an assured touch and an ability to retain possession through predominantly short passes while also using his vision to progress the ball forward and find pockets of space to receive possession.

Irrespective of his position, Mac Allister takes on the role of a playmaker, consistently looking to build attacks and progress the play. He does this accurately as shown by his low turnover rate — which is the share of possessions lost among total touches.

He keeps things simple and is careful in possession, picking his moments of when to attempt passes between the lines and in behind. His passing range, combined with his ability to judge the weight of a pass, allows him to keep play ticking over and bring team-mates into play.

Mac Allister will not burst away from players but he is difficult to dispossess and remains calm under pressure.

He isn't a DLP, and isn't suited to picking the ball off of from deep. His own manager only put him there when forced to by injuries, probably because he knows that defensively he's a liability. Those horrible defensive stats, and mediocre progressive passing figures, back that up.
He's no Tony Kroos/Frenkie, but he would have played the Eriksen role very easily, and he has the legs to compensate. If you are so picky about his ability to play as an #8 when he has done so multiple times this season, I'm curious what you have to say about Mason Mount :lol:

Chris-Red

All chat about his stats etc at previous clubs may not mean much. People go on as if they know he’ll be a failure. Plenty players have been average at lesser teams only to kick on when they get to play with better players. It’s not an exact science. I’m a United fan by the way, wouldn’t bother me if he does flop, just find the arguments whether he will or won’t a bit funny at times.

ekestubbe

What sort of idiots put a 35 mill release clause in a contract? And what sort of idiots dont bid for him at 35 mill!
If I remember correctly his previous contract would have expired this summer so when Brighton negotiated an extension last fall he probably insisted on a clause and they would rather agree to it than let him go for free this summer.

Crimson King

McAllister has played more games this season as a CM, than as a #10.

Yes he played a more attacking role in the world cup, but he is much more naturally suited to play as an #8, and has played there to good effect, than Mason Mount.

The Athletic did a profile on him recently and describe him very well :

He's no Tony Kroos/Frenkie, but he would have played the Eriksen role very easily, and he has the legs to compensate. If you are so picky about his ability to play as an #8 when he has done so multiple times this season, I'm curious what you have to say about Mason Mount :lol:
Your own chart says that he's played as an AM more than a CM.

The analysis on the Athletic can be good, but they can also talk a lot of shit sometimes. I tend to try and temper it with what I see with my own eyes. I would certainly question how they decided he was playing as a DM for a third of the season. Certainly when RdZ came in, and when they jumped up another level post WC, that wasn't the case. I expect in reality he spent most of those matches in a more advanced position for large portions of those games.

The Mount link surprised me and I'm not convinced. I imagine EtH is planning to use him in a similar way Klopp is planning to use Mac Allister at Liverpool, but I don't know how that looks with Bruno also in the team. We'll just have to wait and see if we actually sign him and how we play with him next season.

I do think Mount makes more sense than Mac Allister in the role you seen to envision them both in. He's just as athletic, if not more so, but is more defensively intelligent. Both of them lack creative passing from deep. They're never going to be Scholes or Xavi.

Idxomer

I don't feel like Brighton plays with a DM, not in the traditional sense anyway.

Josep Dowling

Good player, good-ish price depending on how achievable the add on are. Nice to get a player in early as well.

Us United fans could only dream of our transfer business being done like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.