5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud7

While all this bashing of the ‘sports science brigade’ may have some validity in general, the facts are that Sanchez is just 29. Not the ‘40’ you keep using to make your point. The fact is, 29 (which he literally just turned before he joined us), is not too old to be an elite athlete. That is a fact whichever side of this ‘debate’ you fall on.
Oh my point was more general rather than specific. At 29 ideally Sánchez should still be at his peak, albeit near the end, but it’s impossible to deny that he has lost a bit of his acceleration and explosiveness that he used to display all the time.

Like everyone else I hope that after a summers rest he comes back revitalized and looks a bit closer to his old self than he did last season.

My comment was more about the semi-regularly thrown out statement that x player can play well into his 30s near their peak level. No, no they cannot.

Andersons Dietician

Think he'll surprise most of us this season with his output . I predict atleast 15G and 10 A. One of the two strikers or just behind would be perfect to get the best out of him

Martial /Rash. Lukaku
Sanchez
Pogba Fred Matic
I do think he’ll have a better season but really think he needs to be getting around 20-25 league goals. He managed something along those lines at Arsenal did he not in his last full season so that should be around his target. I do think a lot of that season tho he was deployed as the 9 but with the players we have he should be getting near that. Think he’ll probably be deployed more as a forward anyway this season or here is hoping so.

ash_86

I do think he’ll have a better season but really think he needs to be getting around 20-25 league goals. He managed something along those lines at Arsenal did he not in his last full season so that should be around his target. I do think a lot of that season tho he was deployed as the 9 but with the players we have he should be getting near that. Think he’ll probably be deployed more as a forward anyway this season or here is hoping so.
Yes, he needs to be playing much ahead in the pitch to get those numbers than he was last season for us. Hopefully Fred will be able to get the ball to him from the defense quickly and he could stay upfront

svastian99

Alexis Sánchez has rejoined with the squad and is training right now

LeftyBlaster

Kagawa and Mhiki flopped because they weren’t good enough, not because of our style of play. Mata has been better, but he was better at Chelsea, in a Europa level team at the time. Again, nothing to do with style of play.

Sánchez should do better than he has done so far, he’s been a shadow of himself and I’m sure he’d be the first to admit that.
No I don’t think so. It’s not a coincidence that creative players struggle here.

Alabaster Codify7

He needs to get off to an absolute flier this season. Last season was pathetic for a player of his talent/experience.

Luckily, he seems mentally strong and won't worry about that come kick-off against Leicester. Would love him to score to kick off our season, would do wonders for everyone involved.

jesperjaap

Lets be honest, he can hardly have a worse one, this is a world class player after all

Shark

@NotShark
No I don’t think so. It’s not a coincidence that creative players struggle here.
You don’t think what? Kagawa and Mhiki are not the best examples of what you’re trying to argue here. They’re both tiers below what we should be bringing to the club. Do you really think De Bruyne, Silva and Hazard would struggle here?

I think the issue is with our transfer strategy.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You don’t think what? Kagawa and Mhiki are not the best examples of what you’re trying to argue here. They’re both tiers below what we should be bringing to the club. Do you really think De Bruyne, Silva and Hazard would struggle here?

Or Di Maria?

Shark

@NotShark
Or Di Maria?
Di Maria was under LVG, who was never the right manager for him. If he had of waited it out, he could have been a great player for us. Kakawa and Mikhi were under both SAF and Mourinho. They were both poor signings.

Nik70

Personally I wasn't too disappointed with Alexis last season. I know the quality wasn't there a lot of the time but I thought he worked his socks off for the team. I expect great things from him this season.

Shaun Oldman

Personally I wasn't too disappointed with Alexis last season. I know the quality wasn't there a lot of the time but I thought he worked his socks off for the team. I expect great things from him this season.
Not throwing shade but it's the worst six months I've ever seen from a "top" player.

He needs to do so much better for 350k a week.

LeftyBlaster

Yea they would actually. Rather, they would be nowhere near as effective as they are for their current clubs.

AndyJ1985

Yes. Literally every world class attacking player would struggle in our team. The football we play is appalling and not a single one of them would enjoy it.

automaticflare

Not throwing shade but it's the worst six months I've ever seen from a "top" player.

Agree he looked broken and lacking of energy imo

This is first game of pre season but looks so much sharper and pacier than he did last season already to me

ROFLUTION

This earning argument is sooo old and lazy. Its not like he doesnt want to perform or is not trying.

Great today so far btw

el3mel

Looked like the only one with any quality upfront. Hopefully carries on with better performances next games prior to season.

Silas

Promising performance, regardless of the opposition.

the_irish123

I feel like Mourinho needs to coach him to play off the ball and make runs, he is obsessed with touching the ball in non dangerous areas, feels like wasted real estate to me. He could be much more dangerous in that other way.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I feel like Mourinho needs to coach him to play off the ball and make runs, he is obsessed with touching the ball in non dangerous areas, feels like wasted real estate to me. He could be much more dangerous in that other way.
I agree. He needs to decide if he is a goalscorer or a playmaker. I think playing him on the right would make him focus a bit more on simply getting in to the box, instead of drifting inside to link-up constantly.

svastian99

To take advantage of Alexis' game ... our midfield must be consistent. Problems in that area cause Alexis to play more messy and less effective in attack tasks. At the moment he looks sharp and motivated.

el3mel

I agree. He needs to decide if he is a goalscorer or a playmaker. I think playing him on the right would make him focus a bit more on simply getting in to the box, instead of drifting inside to link-up constantly.
He has been top goal scorer for Arsenal while drifting from the left. It has nothing to do with this.

I think he needs to get into more dangerous position near the goal, but it won't happen unless there're other players around him that can create consistently so he becomes a goal scorer instead of being the playmaker.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Keep him through the middle. A different animal, is the same for Chile and had his best season for Arsenal through the middle.

Also was generally excellent tonight. Aggressive, sharp, and looked much quicker and fitter then at any point last year. He just looked so tired, laboured, slow, and somewhat past it last year. Only pre-season but his fitness looks miles better. Having a world class player like him can win you games on his own, regardless of the rest. Hope he pushes on.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

Has looked fantastic so far during pre season, and this is exactly what he needs.

Good pre season under his belt and ready for the season ahead.

Ashley R1+O

Wanna boof him. If he plays at the kind of level he's capable of and goes off with a bang then we're going to be fantastic.

Kapardin

For what he's earning, I'd expect a KDB type of influence from him this season.

Close to 20 league goals from him, and with Lukaku's input, along with the rest of the team chipping in would probably make us competitive with Liverpool and maybe even City despite not signing a RW.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Its only preseason but there are promising signs that Alexis Sanchez will be a big player for us this season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is looking very sharp, had very good game. Sanchez and Pereira were standout players.

Status
Not open for further replies.