Alexis Sanchez | Done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapardin

Why would Arsenal allow him to leave for only £20m? A champions league place through Europa or the league is surely worth more than that.
He doesn't get on with the dressing room. Half the squad can't wait to see him go as he is quite an annoying drama queen for all his talent. In contrast, Ozil is not so divisive.

I don’t really understand this move. Didn’t he leave Barcelona because he wasn’t getting enough game time under Pep? Surely it’ll be exactly the same at City, I can’t see him playing every single game.
Times change. No doubt Pep has clarified that he has a significant role to play at City, much like Mourinho accomodated Mata. I think he'd be a sure starter over Jesus and Aguero anyway - because he's better than the former, and Pep is just looking for some reason to ditch the latter.

Sad for Arsenal. Can't even crow over their plight, its' like flogging a dead horse.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I don’t really understand this move. Didn’t he leave Barcelona because he wasn’t getting enough game time under Pep? Surely it’ll be exactly the same at City, I can’t see him playing every single game.
He will play most games - Sterling Sanchez Sane front three.

predator

Youth NITK
So much denial from United fans atm regarding our noisy neighbours. Yes, we all cannot stand to see them doing so well but we can't act as if it is not happening - or blaming 'petrodollars' for it. It's happening and there's nothing moaning about it can do.

City are a far more attractive club to play for than United at this moment in time. Money aside they are playing great football, competing in everything, have fantastic training facilities, togetherness in the squad and can match any wages being offered by us, Chelsea and anyone in Europe. Compare that with us for example, you have Mourinho and his obstinate ways, uninspired football and a general feel of decline.

It's a no brainer. I think our board knew this hence the lack of interest from our side.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Do you think he will start ahead of Aguero? I think it will be Sane/Sterling who are rotated
I have never thought that Pep was that convinced by Aguero, not his sort of player, whereas Sanchez is - more all round / hardworking. But we'll see - probably enough games for all of them to be honest given that they're going for the quad

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This move is just a reminder of how much work we need to do over the next two windows.
It's depressing when you hear Mourinho say we will bring in two or three over the summer.
Sanchez would be Pep's 17th signing.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This move is just a reminder of how much work we need to do over the next two windows.
It's depressing when you hear Mourinho say we will bring in two or three over the summer.
Seriously? Make's a mockery of any of the pundits who are dismissing Jose's claims that we haven't spent enough, Jose has only signed 7 players

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Guys, is it a £30 million signing on fee?

Fecking insane amount of money. :houllier:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Correction :lol: He will be 18th signing, with the 17th signings having cost 411 Million Pounds...
£416m. They also sold players for £116m

For a comparison, United spent £314m on those 7 players and sold players for £52m

United also had a higher wage bill last season

charlie9882

Guys, is it a £30 million signing on fee?

Fecking insane amount of money. :houllier:
Di Marzio is suggesting that will be the sign on fee if he signs for free in the summer. He would get £15m in January if the fee paid to Arsenal is £20m - which it isn't going to be.

Di Marzio is absolutely rubbish for City and Arsenal, so I wouldn't put much stock in what they are saying. Absolutely zero chance he is going to be on £13m net which the article is suggesting - that is double City's highest earner. £13m gross is realistic (£250k p/w), so maybe he got them the wrong way round.

Martin Blackburn, who is considerably more reliable for City, has said that Sanchez is willing to waive his signing fee altogether to join in January.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Di Marzio is suggesting that will be the sign on fee if he signs for free in the summer. He would get £15m in January if the fee paid to Arsenal is £20m - which it isn't going to be.

Di Marzio is absolutely rubbish for City and Arsenal, so I wouldn't put much stock in what they are saying. Absolutely zero chance he is going to be on £13m net which the article is suggesting - that is double City's highest earner. £13m gross is realistic (£250k p/w), so maybe he got them the wrong way round.

Martin Blackburn, who is considerably more reliable for City, has said that Sanchez is willing to waive his signing fee altogether to join in January.
Link to that article?

It sounds bullshit. Every player gets a signing fee bonus.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Link to that article?

It sounds bullshit. Every player gets a signing fee bonus.
Especially the one who is about to move on free transfer and the sum which will make him wipe his arse with dollar bills.

KM

For a comparison, United spent £314m on those 7 players and sold players for £52m

Netspend is one of the most pointless stats in modern football. It's only used by fans online in dick waving contest.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Isn't it obvious that they will have more players going out? No point in quoting "players sold" or "net spend". We don't buy as many players as they do which means our squad isn't over inflated with talent. That means we're not going to make a tonne of money on outgoing players. Just off the top of my head, I could name quite a few of the dross that they bought have sold over the last few seasons - Fernando, Nolito, the Fiorentina forward whose name I can't remember, Navas, Negredo etc. The more you buy, the more you have to sell.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Pep left Barcelona 2 seasons before Alexis did, so no

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Netspend is one of the most pointless stats in modern football. It's only used by fans online in dick waving contest.
Agreed, i'm not talking about net spend, just pointing out that city have had more money to spend on transfers in part because of their lower wage bill and better return on player sales

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Ahh, bluemoon fans are so naive. Thats the last thing on his mind right now. He knows that the team that will offer him the most, probably has the squad and the money to achieve trophies.
It's probably a combination of a number of things. Is it that far of a stretch to say that the chance of winning trophies and being part of a potentially historic team this season is a great appeal?

Honestly - money is important of course, but it's like people have forgotten that these are professional athletes who have got to the level they have because of a will to win. Do you think Sanchez would be as good as he is if he didn't give a shit about winning?

It's like people think most of those players got in to football when they were kids because they were thinking about how rich they'd be...

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
It's only relevant when clubs are losing players they would otherwise keep - Ronaldo, Suarez, Bale, Coutinho etc.

With both us and City of late it's more of a reflection of how many poor signings we've compiled over the years that may still be redeemable to some clubs. The higher sales value just reinforces the idea that Pep inherited a far more valuable squad to begin with.

The notion that we ever had a more expensive squad was never relevant - Nor was the wage bill statistic. That was based off 25 registered players (and even then I'm not sure if it was accurate). When you looked closer City had like £150m worth of players - All on huge contracts either loaned out or unregistered. They were still paying them significant wages too.

RedorDead21

So much denial from United fans atm regarding our noisy neighbours. Yes, we all cannot stand to see them doing so well but we can't act as if it is not happening - or blaming 'petrodollars' for it. It's happening and there's nothing moaning about it can do.

City are a far more attractive club to play for than United at this moment in time. Money aside they are playing great football, competing in everything, have fantastic training facilities, togetherness in the squad and can match any wages being offered by us, Chelsea and anyone in Europe. Compare that with us for example, you have Mourinho and his obstinate ways, uninspired football and a general feel of decline.

It's a no brainer. I think our board knew this hence the lack of interest from our side.

Pep left Barcelona 2 seasons before Alexis did, so no
But he was still just a squad player correct? rotated with Pedro or whomever with even Pep saying he wasn't utilised properly....
odd to be ok with going back to do similar...I actually think he'll be an auto starter as on his day he's as good as anyone in that squad.

Stacks

Chelsea should be all over this. Gets to stay in London with a club that wins stuff. Play with Hazard, Kante doing the leg work, Morata linking. could help them make the step up

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
But he was still just a squad player correct? rotated with Pedro or whomever with even Pep saying he wasn't utilised properly....
odd to be ok with going back to do similar...I actually think he'll be an auto starter as on his day he's as good as anyone in that squad.
Alexis played one season at Barcelona under Pep and struggled to be consistent played out wide and trying to get the best XI out there, rotating with Pedro, Villa & Cesc. What Pep said is that he should've used him more as a striker along with stating that the best version of his Barcelona was the one that included Alexis

I think he'll be rotated and the player to see his minutes impacted the most will be Kun, once Jesus recovers

RedorDead21

Alexis played one season at Barcelona under Pep and struggled to be consistent played out wide and trying to get the best XI out there, rotating with Pedro, Villa & Cesc. What Pep said is that he should've used him more as a striker along with stating that the best version of his Barcelona was the one that included Alexis

I think he'll be rotated and the player to see his minutes impacted the most will be Kun, once Jesus recovers
If I was Arsenal I'd only let him go to City (in Jan) if Kun was coming in the opposite direction.

D. Mungai

Correctly put but what escapes from many people eye is what Mourinho has spent since he joined United, around 314m, half was transfer fee of 2 players (Lukaku, Pogba), the rest 4 are between 28M - 40M. Has it paid of? Signing 6 players (with transfer fee) and 2 consume half of the amount paid?

Hands held high, you can not compete with City fee wise, City transfer fees are on another level, Guardiola spent 52M pounds on 2 goalkeepers in space of less than 11 months. That is goalkeepers, do not even mention fullbacks or centre backs.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't see it as a pointless stat because money is important in football and making a great use of it is crucial but it shouldn't be used indiscriminately. For example last week I saw someone compare City and United spending between 2009 and 2014, it makes little sense because United had a solid starting eleven while City was creating one, that logic can and should be applied to City and United between 2013 and 2017, it shouldn't surprise anyone that United spend as much or even more during that period because both clubs don't start at the same point. Now, there is something important to mention, the quality of your scouting and transfer planning will have a huge impact on your net spend, if you exploit contracts well you can reduce drastically your spending, your academy will have an impact too.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Correctly put but what escapes from many people eye is what Mourinho has spent since he joined United, around 314m, half was transfer fee of 2 players (Lukaku, Pogba), the rest 4 are between 28M - 40M. Has it paid of? Signing 6 players (with transfer fee) and 2 consume half of the amount paid?

Hands held high, you can not compete with City fee wise, City transfer fees are on another level, Guardiola spent 52M pounds on 2 goalkeepers in space of less than 11 months. That is goalkeepers, do not even mention fullbacks or centre backs.
You're missing the point, City are spending based on need, they're not just casually going around spemding big sums on keepers and defenders for fun. They're ruthless, in that they simply don't care about "value for money", or rather, they only care about giving themselves to best chance to win. They need to sign fullbacks, so they go out and sign the best they can, regardless of fee, and they can do that because they only need to sign the two fullbacks.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Strange conclusion to draw. Either you never balance your monthly/annual expenses or you're out there waving it yourself as well?

Stacks

Seriously? Make's a mockery of any of the pundits who are dismissing Jose's claims that we haven't spent enough, Jose has only signed 7 players
???
City signed 6 1st team players in season one (plus 2 unknowns) and shipped out 3. 2nd season they signed 5 and sold 6
United signed 4 and shipped out 3 season one, then signed 3 and shipped out 3.

We need to be ruthless and stop holding onto average players and paying them wages

Chillosophy

Great player, one I would really want at Old Trafford and it would be a shame to see him go to Citeh.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
It seems you've no clue about football finances.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/arsenals-net-spend-myth-exploded-crushed/

Have a read. I know defending City is important for you, but it's also good to learn something new.
I'm not even a finance guy but I understand both net spend and the points made in the article very well - still amounts to the same thing, balancing the books as much as you can. If someone is going to tout gross expenditures as a metric for anything then you cannot ignore gross sales either and yes, wages matter as well.

KM

I'm not even a finance guy but I understand both net spend and the points made in the article very well - still amounts to the same thing, balancing the books as much as you can. If someone is going to tout gross expenditures as a metric for anything then you cannot ignore gross sales either and yes, wages matter as well.
As someone said, it should matter when someone buys low and sells high aka what Liverpool did with Coutinho. Most of the sales made by United/City are often those who've been bought on big money and has failed. For instance Depay/Bony/Nolito/Schneiderlin etc. Wages are the most important factor.

It pisses me off when online fans are it seems more happy to show NetSpend table to compensate for their team failing to win anything.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If you’d said a year ago that Alexis Sanchez would go for maximum £30 million and Philippe Coutinho would go for £140 million, I’d never have believed you.

kafkawithaspirin

Supports
Liverpool
It seems you've no clue about football finances.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/arsenals-net-spend-myth-exploded-crushed/

Have a read. I know defending City is important for you, but it's also good to learn something new.
That's not a particularly convincing discussion, is it? Honigstein starts with saying that net spend is a completely useless metric in football, then ends the conversataion with admitting that it can in fact be used to compare two clubs transfer succes, just not on his own (which can be said about any statistics that we use in football today, unless you really strip it down to 'who won the match' or 'who won more trophies'). Someting neither the twitter poster nor FCBarca argued.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
True. In squad terms we need a £100m level player just to match the Sanchez signing before we tackle the gulf in quality as it stands already. And replace Fellaini, Ibra and Carrick leaving for nothing.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
It's probably a combination of a number of things. Is it that far of a stretch to say that the chance of winning trophies and being part of a potentially historic team this season is a great appeal?

Honestly - money is important of course, but it's like people have forgotten that these are professional athletes who have got to the level they have because of a will to win. Do you think Sanchez would be as good as he is if he didn't give a shit about winning?

It's like people think most of those players got in to football when they were kids because they were thinking about how rich they'd be...

I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying, but lets face it. Sanchez is basically at the twilight years of his career and has won enough trophies wherever he played. I just don't think his first priority is trophies. Look at Tevez for example, did he really go to China to win trophies or did he really go for the big money offered?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
In my opinion, (unfortunately) it's a great move for Sanchez and City.

No doubt he will play almost every game when fit.

Just because it didn't work out for Sanchez at Barca, doesn't mean it won't work at City. It's a completely different team and Sanchez is a better player now than he was at Barca.

Pep isn't going to the effort to buy him and bench him.

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

All of the above comes from Petrodollars. Without denial or blame, it's just a fact.

As for our decline, I disagree. We did decline under Moyes and LVG, no doubt, but under Jose we're improving. Last year we won a double and we currently have a better points tally after 22 games than we've had since Fergie left. That's not enough to tempt Sanchez away from City though, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.