Alexis Sanchez - Inter Watch

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think a lot of that is down to Mourinho’s effect on the team yeah. Bruno has spoken glowingly about his experience so far, as has Maguire. Pogba & Martial seem much happier now too.
Good to hear mate.
While we all get on players backs, they are humans etc at the end of the day, so you would hate to think we have some sort of horrible environment.

Luke1995

Lukaku said something similar. Atmosphere surely wasn't the best but they've got only themselves to blame for failing. Alexis was on £350k a week and had few good games max.

We have only Conte to thank for buying those two.
I don't think Lukaku failed. His first season was good, what was expected of him. For some reason, he just downed tools in the second (or wasn't in the best physical shape)

Luke1995

The issue with Sanchez and probably what made his time here a failure from a tactical standpoint, is that despite signing him, Mourinho didn't try to build the team around him. When you spend so much money on a player and just tells him to adapt to the team, how is he supposed to play like he did at Arsenal ? He didn't seem to down tools like Di Maria did, just couldn't adapt to the way the managers set the team up

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The issue with Sanchez and probably what made his time here a failure from a tactical standpoint, is that despite signing him, Mourinho didn't try to build the team around him. When you spend so much money on a player and just tells him to adapt to the team, how is he supposed to play like he did at Arsenal ? He didn't seem to down tools like Di Maria did, just couldn't adapt to the way the managers set the team up
I can't remember what we were all expecting at the time, but I recall thinking I hope he works out on the right, otherwise him and Pogba would be operating in the same space, in each other's way. Turned out we had 4 players who all wanted to operate from the left, in Martial, Rashford, Sanchez, and slightly deeper, Pogba.

I'm not sure who decided to buy him - i.e. Woody or Jose. Even though almost all of us were buzzing, I think most knew that a 4 and a half year contract on that ludicrous salary was a huge mistake.

It wasn't mainly down to tactics. It was down to his attitude, the fact he waltzed in on 2-3 times what everyone else was earning, and looked physically past it. It could only go downhill from there.

Buying him was Ed's worst piece of business, by a landslide, and getting rid and taking that loss, was Ed's best piece of business.

BorisManUtd

I remember I wanted us to sign Lucas Moura that window as we needed RW but then there came the possibility to sign Alexis and the club took it. Can't blame them as I and probably 95% of fans wanted Sanchez as well. It proved to be a mistake but not so costly as we were able to sell him. Look at the problem Arsenal have with Ozil or RM with Bale, thank God for Conte and Inter.

Luke1995

I can't remember what we were all expecting at the time, but I recall thinking I hope he works out on the right, otherwise him and Pogba would be operating in the same space, in each other's way. Turned out we had 4 players who all wanted to operate from the left, in Martial, Rashford, Sanchez, and slightly deeper, Pogba.

I'm not sure who decided to buy him - i.e. Woody or Jose. Even though almost all of us were buzzing, I think most knew that a 4 and a half year contract on that ludicrous salary was a huge mistake.

It wasn't mainly down to tactics. It was down to his attitude, the fact he waltzed in on 2-3 times what everyone else was earning, and looked physically past it. It could only go downhill from there.

Buying him was Ed's worst piece of business, by a landslide, and getting rid and taking that loss, was Ed's best piece of business.
But Inter didn't pay a fee for the transfer... so did Ed really got the money back ?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
But Inter didn't pay a fee for the transfer... so did Ed really got the money back ?
I think it was about 40m we were seeing going down the drain had he stayed on. If I recall correctly, he got a 10m pay-off from the club, thereby saving themselves 30m and, potentially, clearing any disharmony in the dressing room as a consequence of his grossly unmerited wages. I don't think anyone here honestly thought we'd manage to get rid in such a good way (all things considered). So yes, given that we overspend on transfer fees and wages as a norm, post SAF, in my view, this is the most impressive thing I've seen from Ed. Thanks to Inter, of course.

Luke1995

I think it was about 40m we were seeing going down the drain had he stayed on. If I recall correctly, he got a 10m pay-off from the club, thereby saving themselves 30m and, potentially, clearing any disharmony in the dressing room as a consequence of his grossly unmerited wages. I don't think anyone here honestly thought we'd manage to get rid in such a good way (all things considered). So yes, given that we overspend on transfer fees and wages as a norm, post SAF, in my view, this is the most impressive thing I've seen from Ed. Thanks to Inter, of course.
Were Young and Lukaku on expensive wages aswell ?

Luke1995

Not sure about the veracity of what I read, but I think Young was earning around 110-115K and Lukaku 200K-ish.
Sure. Any idea if Inter will pay Sanchez anything close to what he was getting here ?

Luke1995

Has he been so shite they’re trying to swap him for Dzeko?
I think it's more Roma that is actually interested in him. Inter seems to be pretty supportive of Alexis, to have more patience with him than United did.

I think it's more Roma that is actually interested in him. Inter seems to be pretty supportive of Alexis, to have more patience with him than United did.
patience is admirable - but by all accounts he’s been pretty shit? At what point do you acknowledge that he’s not recapturing form from 3 years ago...

Luke1995

patience is admirable - but by all accounts he’s been pretty shit? At what point do you acknowledge that he’s not recapturing form from 3 years ago...
No one expects him to get form from three years ago. But he's 32. There has to be something left in the tank... no ?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No patience is required when you consider his wages, he has lower wages at inter now.

Luke1995

is there though? He’s living off his reputation (what’s left off it).
When did he just lost his quality though ? I seem to remember that when he came to United he was already playing bad. But the previous season he was one of PL's top scorers...

When did he just lost his quality though ? I seem to remember that when he came to United he was already playing bad. But the previous season he was one of PL's top scorers...
he was utterly awful for Arsenal for the 6 months prior to signing for us. At the time, most people thought it was because he wanted to leave, and was frustrated with Arsenal. Clearly the rot had already set in.

was fantastic at one point in time.

Schneiderman

he was utterly awful for Arsenal for the 6 months prior to signing for us. At the time, most people thought it was because he wanted to leave, and was frustrated with Arsenal. Clearly the rot had already set in.

This, it was literally a carbon copy of Torres, thankfully we got rid of Sanchez much sooner and didn't give Arsenal anything for him.

Luke1995

He also didn't play very well in that year's confederations cup. Chile reached the final, but more because of the team overall.

I think it was both a physical decline and a loss of motivation with the game.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Scored today, we are idiots for letting him and Darmian go. :smirk:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Scored today, we are idiots for letting him and Darmian go. :smirk:
Makes me sick thinking about how good a team we could have with Sanchez, Darmian, Smalling, Lingard, Lukaku, Young, Rojo et al.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Makes me sick thinking about how good a team we could have with Sanchez, Darmian, Smalling, Lingard, Lukaku, Young, Rojo et al.
:drool:

Everyone who misjudged those players should apologise to other posters.

Park's Petrified Pooch

Even a ricochet counts as an assist
It wasn’t a ricochet. He mis-controlled it in the opposite direction of goal and a defender poked it backwards. Again. Use your eyes. If that’s flashcores bar for a ricochet then again, they’re wrong. Not that it matters. This is the Sanchez thread. Ropey finish and poor keeping but got the job done. Muscled his way beyond the defender and got his shot away. Fair play.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
It wasn’t a ricochet. He mis-controlled it in the opposite direction of goal and a defender poked it backwards. Again. Use your eyes. If that’s flashcores bar for a ricochet then again, they’re wrong. Not that it matters. This is the Sanchez thread. Ropey finish and poor keeping but got the job done. Muscled his way beyond the defender and got his shot away. Fair play.