Aliou Traore

Bondi77

I do not get to see the u23s these days but I have seen there is reported interest in this young man from Benfica and Celtic.
Anyone watch him on a regular basis and think he has the tools to make it at our club?

Mickson

He's talented, but a bit lazy and can switch off. It's easy to draw comparisons with Pogba (he's obviously not as talented) he's big, strong, technical, and colossal at times. I don't think it would be a bad gamble by Benfica or Celtic. 4 goals and 1 assist in 12 starts for the U23 is okayish for a midfielder. I would like for him to stay one more year to see how he develops, but I wouldn't lose sleep if he left.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s more than likely not going to make it here anyway. I say make a call as early as possible and give the space in the squad to someone else if they have doubts about him. Can we get a fee for him?

edit I see he’s in the final year of a contract. I assume he’ll want big money to stay if other clubs are offering first team terms.

pascell

Wouldn't be a bad move for both parties if we sold him with a buy back clause, Celtic seem to do very well with young players and their development.

Vissy

Surely he's off. He is talented and he could have a good professional career after he leaves but I don't see him staying here or anyone above League One level taking him either.

trajbu

His physicality and athleticism could be useful to balance our more technically gifted midfield players such as Mejbri, Wellens, McCann, Garner and Levitt.

A loan would also be beneficial at this stage.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He's a flickerer. There will be moments that he shines and then the rest is insipidness.

Big disappointment.

Henning Bergs shiny boots

Linked with a move to caen today. A loan would be interesting to see if regular mens football can help him kick on but seems to be perminent deals been talked about

KevinJoh

From what I understand Caen would like permanent deal, not a loan. To be honest, looks like we have better midfield prospects and would not mind to sell him with some percantage of next sale as they would probably use him and there is a chance he would be sold again in a few years for 10-20m. Can't see him to get game time with us.

In Rainbows

I can see Traore becoming a success if he becomes a destroyer, but it will take a commitment from the coaching and the player himself to do that role. And that's a small chance for success as he's not really shown much in that area. As a regular midfielder, he's not a good passer. He doesn't have vision. He's not a goal scorer. So when people say he's talented, they must not be basing it on those midfielder attributes.

About the only thing I can praise him on is his feet. He can get himself out of trouble with his ball manipulation in a tight area. So he has that and physicality. That's why I say that the only chance I think he has is if he and the coaches commit to making him a destroyer.

He doesn't have all that much to his game. So calling him talented is a bit strange.

KevinJoh

I think he is talented, not just world class talented and obviously players like Garner, Levitt, Mejbri, Galbraith, Puigmal above him, and probably a few more that are coming. He played some games even on wing, but I think most of his game was based on physicality (plus as you mentioned pretty good feet), but when you are coming to senior football it is not the advantage any more as it was. Agree on everything else, but at the age of 19 I guess he can make good career if he is in the league like League 1 with club that will give him minutes and experience.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Don’t think I’ve ever genuinely disliked a player until I saw him and his pathetic attitude. Gladly never have to watch him standing there doing nothing ever again.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Saw him play for a United academy team against Northampton Town two years ago in a pre season friendly. He performed quite well, but yes he did disappear for parts of the game, possibly a fitness issue? He won the ball well in midfield a number of times, and made some terrific forward runs, looked a very good prospect, but whether he could play like that for 90 minutes is debatable. I think he has all the physical attributes, but whether he has the mental strength I'm not sure. By the way the best player for United that day was DJ Buffonge. O'Connor played left back and looked steady

lysglimt

Scout
Think he gets a lot of unfair criticism - I don't think he will make it here, but he improved a lot during this last season.

Mickson

Think he gets a lot of unfair criticism - I don't think he will make it here, but he improved a lot during this last season.
Yep, he's not that bad. And as you said, he improved in the later stages. Did a good job as a winger as well.

In Rainbows

Yep, he's not that bad. And as you said, he improved in the later stages. Did a good job as a winger as well.
It's more so that we realize playing at the top level is incredibly difficult even for players who star at youth level. If you're not dominating at youth level, it's more likely you'll not impress at first team level. Then you look into what he's actually good at for a midfielder, and he doesn't really have much in his locker.

That's why I made my comment. I feel like you have to be quite lenient to not have the same opinion. I think there's a difference in hoping for the best for the player, and being objective about their chances or ability.

Mickson

It's more so that we realize playing at the top level is incredibly difficult even for players who star at youth level. If you're not dominating at youth level, it's more likely you'll not impress at first team level. Then you look into what he's actually good at for a midfielder, and he doesn't really have much in his locker.

That's why I made my comment. I feel like you have to be quite lenient to not have the same opinion. I think there's a difference in hoping for the best for the player, and being objective about their chances or ability.
I have never made a verdict on his chances. I don't think he will be good enough for United, but he's hardly so shit that some of you make him out to be.

In Rainbows

I have never made a verdict on his chances. I don't think he will be good enough for United, but he's hardly so shit that some of you make him out to be.
I don't know about others, but from my point of view, players are always judged on whether they could make it for United or not. It's relative to that threshold. So if you think we're harsh or I'm harsh, you need to understand it's relative to that scale. And I and many others generally rate others quite highly, yet don't make it for United. So our standards for whether they have a chance or not is not all that of a high standard. Actually, we're quite lenient. I would say 2/3 of the squad per generation of youth players get looked upon favorably even though 95% won't make it at United. So if those standards are too harsh in your eyes, I don't know what to tell you.

Also, I never make a final verdict. I like to think of things as more likely or less likely because it's always possible a talent makes it or doesn't make it. We don't know the future.

You likely do the same thing as well. It's the same reason why if you were to watch Sang or El Fitouri, you would make the same kind of calls. There's a difference between having and expressing those opinions on here, and berating them on social media. What is the point of this forum if not to discuss what we see?

How else should we describe Traore when we would rather have Garner, Levitt, Mejbri, Galbraith, McCann, Puigmal all before Traore? Fair enough you think he did a good job as a winger. What special quality do you think he has as a winger or attacking talent compared to Chong, Shoretire, Hoogewerf, etc... as those are his competition to make it at United.

I don't feel like we were being unfair or harsh.

Mark Pawelek

... Fair enough you think he did a good job as a winger. What special quality do you think he has as a winger or attacking talent compared to Chong, Shoretire, Hoogewerf, etc... as those are his competition to make it at United.
When I've seen him play wide he looks powerful, like an old-style #9 (Shearer type) playing on the wing. You don't expect the FB to easily dispossess him.

So the jury's not yet in? We can't write him off at the age of 19 (as many want to)?

Mickson

I don't know about others, but from my point of view, players are always judged on whether they could make it for United or not. It's relative to that threshold. So if you think we're harsh or I'm harsh, you need to understand it's relative to that scale. And I and many others generally rate others quite highly, yet don't make it for United. So our standards for whether they have a chance or not is not all that of a high standard. Actually, we're quite lenient. I would say 2/3 of the squad per generation of youth players get looked upon favorably even though 95% won't make it at United. So if those standards are too harsh in your eyes, I don't know what to tell you.

Also, I never make a final verdict. I like to think of things as more likely or less likely because it's always possible a talent makes it or doesn't make it. We don't know the future.

You likely do the same thing as well. It's the same reason why if you were to watch Sang or El Fitouri, you would make the same kind of calls. There's a difference between having and expressing those opinions on here, and berating them on social media. What is the point of this forum if not to discuss what we see?

How else should we describe Traore when we would rather have Garner, Levitt, Mejbri, Galbraith, McCann, Puigmal all before Traore? Fair enough you think he did a good job as a winger. What special quality do you think he has as a winger or attacking talent compared to Chong, Shoretire, Hoogewerf, etc... as those are his competition to make it at United.

Yeah, it's the word "shit" I have trouble with. El Fitouri may have been shit, but not Traore. There is a difference. Or do you seriously consider him to be non-league class? I would say that Traore is pretty level with players such as Mark Helm or Arnau Puigmal (although different strengths) and they are hardly shit. Traore is far from being the worst player in the academy. As I said, he may not be United class (but who is) and I think he will have a decent career in Caen or whatever he might end up.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Great post.

quirkey

I’ve always been fascinated by the young players coming through at United (and at other clubs); as a United fan in Ireland where is the best place to get info/watch the youngsters? Is it MUTV or....?

Mr. P.

I’ve always been fascinated by the young players coming through at United (and at other clubs); as a United fan in Ireland where is the best place to get info/watch the youngsters? Is it MUTV or....?
Mutv is the bestPlace to watch u-18/23 games I’m looking forward to the new season

NickyT

Any news on how he's been getting on at Caen (season long loan), looks like he's played two league games so far...

Mickson

Any news on how he's been getting on at Caen (season long loan), looks like he's played two league games so far...
Two sub appearances, 34 mins all in all. Hasn't done anything of note. He has played for their b-team as well.

KevinJoh

Two league games for Caen, featured in both for limited minutes. As he did not have preseason with team that is OK, I guess he will get more minutes after few weeks. It would be awesome if he can establish himself as first team player. Certainly not first team material for us, but we can get solid price for him if he prove himself as regular in Caen, and get another loan in first division next year.