All-Time Fantasy Draft

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Eligibility: All players are available for drafting. For the purpose of this competition, these players are considered at the level when they were in their prime. Each manager gets to pick 13 players to form a squad.

Nationality constraint: No side can field more than one player from each nation (i.e. no Xavi AND Iniesta, although one could be a sub). Before this gets us into a right mess, let's establish the following:

• A Nation is defined as one that has or has had a national team participating in FIFA competitions (e.g. no Catalunya).
  • If a player has played for two NTs, the NT of birth applies (e.g. Di Stefano is Argentinian).
  • If a player played for a multi-nation NT (e.g. Yugoslavia), their NT is defined as that of their city of birth. This is so that there is a greater pool of nations to pick from. No debate on ethnicity or heritage will be entertained. It's a football draft, not a politics debate.
Competition format: 16 teams, straight knockouts from the off.

Drafting sequence: in the order the teams have been randomly drawn, down and up, no jumping and starting at the bottom or any of that confusing stuff. Given the size of the pool the advantage should be minimal and more than made up for when reinforcements are picked.

Reinforcements: after the first knockout round all eliminated players go to a pool, the picking order starts from the bottom and three reinforcements are picked altogether (one at a time). After the quarters the winner picks two from the side they beat. After the semis they pick one.

Draft rules
* You have 12 hours to post your draft pick and update the list. If you do not do so, the draft proceeds to the next manager in line and it is up to you to post your draft pick at your earliest convenience.
* From start of round 3 this switches to 6 hours, with each player allowed ONE overrun up to 12.
* When posting your draft pick, please post a picture of the player. You can also briefly explain why you picked this player.
* Once you have posted your draft pick you can't change it and you have to PM the manager next in line to inform him/her that it is his/her turn.
* Once the draft is complete, match threads will be started where each manager's pitch is posted with their match team, tactics and any persuasive arguments why their team has an upper hand over the opposition.
* The content of your pitch should not exceed what can be posted in ONE PM, including the teamsheet. Use links to endless player descriptions and trophy counts if needed.
* Once a player is subbed off he cannot return to the pitch.

* If a player is scheduled to play and no pitch and teamsheet has been sent 12 hours after the end of the previous game, the last one available will be used.

Voting rules
* Everyone can vote in any game, except when it determines their next opponent.

When games are drawn
* The managers have had the chance to prove they were better, they have failed. The vote has been split 50-50 after 24 hours. A lottery is effectively the fairest way.
* A referee is appointed, which could be any eliminated manager or assistant manager currently online. Alternatively, a random poster hanging around both managers agree on.
* Both managers send the referee 6 kickers ordered 1-6 and direction of kick. Also send the direction the keeper dives in for the rival's 6 kicks.
* The possible directions are five: top right, top left, bottom right, bottom left and centre for any Panenka wannabes.
* The referee will post back the result of the kicks, one by one, milking the tension as much as possible.
* Over 5 kicks the probability is they would be drawn, that's why there are six. If still drawn 4 more kickers are drafted, this time under sudden death rules.

Drafted squads:
WEDNESDAY
Cutch
vs. MJJ
Brwned vs. EDogen

THURSDAY
Gio vs. Antohan
JakeC vs. Stobzilla

FRIDAY
mightberight vs. DanNistelrroy
KM vs paceme

SATURDAY
NM
vs. Isotope
Thisistheone vs. Fergus'son

REINFORCEMENTS FROM ELIMINATED POOL:
Stobzilla - Matthaus, Xavi, Vidic
Antohan - Beckenbauer, Zanetti, Stoichkov
Brwned - Baresi, Eusébio, Krol
Cutch - Edwards, Figo, Redondo
NM - Figueroa, Maldini, Varela
Thisistheone - Cruyff, Garrincha, Irwin
KM - Breitner, Ronaldo, Gerets
DanNistlerooy - Platini, Ferenc Puskás, Davids

QUARTER-FINALS:

WEDNESDAY
Cutch v Brwned
KM v Thisistheone

THURSDAY
NM v Antohan
Stobzilla v DanNistelrooy

SEMI-FINALS:

MONDAY
Cutch v DanNistelrooy
Antohan v Thisistheone

FINAL:
Cutch v Antohan

GOLDEN BALL: Diego Maradona
GOLDEN BOOT: Marco van Basten

TOURNAMENT ALL-STAR XI

NM

I'd love to play - anyone with knowledge of older players want to be my assistant manager?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Count me in, please.

I'd love to play - anyone with knowledge of older players want to be my assistant manager?
AldoRaine18 on the newbie would be very much interested in getting involved. He's very knowledgeable on older players. Last time we had All Time Draft in newbie, him and Fergus Son were like old people talking about WW II.
Just PM him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You newbies have the upper hand here seeing as the whole thing has been played out before!
But we lost access to newbie, so all the lists are gone. And it actually will be all familiar names anyway.

EDIT: now you delete that post, and I look like a crazy cow.

NM

Count me in, please.

AldoRaine18 on the newbie would be very much interested in getting involved. He's very knowledgeable on older players. Last time we had All Time Draft in newbie, him and Fergus Son were like old people talking about WW II.
Just PM him.
I know Aldo - will PM him.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Count me in, please.

Just PM him.
:lol:

I was atrocious in that draft to be honest, but learned loads!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Bang me in. May as well get back into the swing of things - Antohan you're a cnut.

antohan

Could a neutral run this on random.org and post the outcome here?

Antohan

KM

Fergus'son
NM
Isotope
JakeC
DanNistelrooy
EDogen
MJJ
paceme
Brwned
Stobzilla
Thisistheone
Gio
mightberight
Cutch

antohan

Thanks Iso but I asked for a neutral to do it. I don't question your honesty, but I would get no end of stick for accepting it when I go first!

I would rather go 5-8th TBH, but better go with a neutral here.

PS: No need to run it 16 times, it's random! No need to post a pic, just the list as it came out will do

PPS: Now it's me sounding like a mad cow! :lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
No problemo, Antohan. I just deleted that post to prevent further confusion.

antohan

Thanks Damien.

Bugger, should have taken Iso's one :lol:

12 hours start ticking for Fergus'son

NM

Fergus'son
DanNistelrooy
KM
Thisistheone
NM
Cutch
Brwned
MJJ
JakeC
mightberight
EDogen
Gio
Antohan
Stobzilla
Isotope
paceme
i hate you damien. terrible position. not high enough to get the best players, but still get stuck with an imabalanced side.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
feck sake, I was too bloody busy playing ww to even bother checking the ff. have a good game lads.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Cheers Damian!

Franz Beckenbauer please, apologies for lack of picture.

NM

Are you kidding?
not really. i prefer to be in the middle or low in drafts. Plus aldo isn't online so I don't have too much knowledge before the 90s. Going to be leaning on him. Still looking forward to this. I love drafts!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Can we limit it to 6 hours max? 12 hours seems too long.

NM

No. That's unfair to people in different time zones. For example, I'm on EST in the US. Might be better to make it 6 hours later, when a missed pick isn't a big penalty.

antohan

I do worry about it taking too long with 16 teams involved, but the problem with 6 hours is people sleep longer than that and some of us are in completely different time zones. With Jayvin for instance, no matter what, you knew at times that his turn was on and he wouldn't be around for ages because he was sleeping bang in the middle of our day.

As an alternative, if everyone agrees, we could have a staggered approach. That is, we aim for 6 hours but each manager can overrun that up to 12 once without his turn being bypassed, then 8, then 6 thereafter. That way we all have an incentive to be alert/PM picks to others if we won't be around, but get a break in case of unexpected/special circumstances.