All-Time National XIs

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Anyone else got thoughts on an all-time Brazil side? In particular if Didi can work in a modern midfield two. His role came up in a recent draft match. For me he would really be best suited to a midfield three as it would free him up to create more.

I reckon something like this would be great for Didi -

-----------------Ronaldo--------------
Ronaldinho--------------Rivaldo------
------------Didi--------Falcao-------------
-----------------Cerezo-------------------
R.Carlos--L.Pereira--Lucio--Cafu
------------------Taffarel---‐--------------

Lots of goals and movement in front of him to create loads of goals. Full-backs creating the width with a solid centre

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
First thought - any Brazil side should have Pelé in it :p

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
First thought - any Brazil side should have Pelé in it :p
Oh yeah definitely, I posted my main Brazil XI in the OP. It was just a question of, if Didi starts, how do you line-up?

I suppose you could play Didi on the left of a 442 with Pele and Ronaldo up front. He would then replace Rivelino in my original line-up but not sure whether he would be better than Rivelino there

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Lahm would be the older version that played on the right. Ter Stegen over Kahn on tactical reasons:wenger:
Insane depth overall though as the likes of Breitner, Kahn and Netzer miss out :(

edit: moved Kalle to the left for someone yet now i cant remember for who :lol: Breitner goes in.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Good old WW

Ronaldinho-----Ronaldo-------Garrincha
-----------------Pele-------------Zico---------------
----Junior-----------Falcao-----------Cafu----
--------------Lucio-------------Da Guia----------

GodShaveTheQueen

Lahm would be the older version that played on the right. Ter Stegen over Kahn on tactical reasons:wenger:
Insane depth overall though as the likes of Breitner, Kahn and Netzer miss out :(

edit: moved Kalle to the left for someone yet now i cant remember for who :lol: Breitner goes in.
Rahn deserves a shout for the RW position there. Standout player of the 50's and best German at the 54 WC

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
For Germany a back 5 would probably get most the big names together but is unnecessary, plus Lahm at RWB is a bit of a waste as is Der Kaiser as sweeper in a back 5.

I'd go for something like----

--------------Muller-------------
Kalle------------------------Rahn
--------Netzer*--Matthaus----
--------------Bastian--------------
Brehme--Kohler--Kaiser-Vogts
------------------Kahn---------------

*I need to see more of Fritz Walter really. If you wanted to be more solid defensively then Overath would slot in nicely.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Rahn deserves a shout for the RW position there. Standout player of the 50's and best German at the 54 WC
Yup, and can bring some much needed balance on the right wing.

Oddly it seems like England, whilst not having the shiniest names has some of the most balanced distribution of players.

GodShaveTheQueen

5-3-2 for Germany since they lack a GOAT No.10

-----------Muller------Kalle-----------
---Bastian---Lothar---Breitner---
Brehme--------------------------Lahm
------Kohler---Kaiser---Forster----

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

That’s my team as well.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

I reckon if you're going 352 like this you needs a bit more going forward, one of the midfield trio is redundant. I would switch out Bastian for Littbarski or Overath in that system

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Ter Stegen over Kahn on tactical reasons:wenger:
Insane depth overall (...) Breitner, Kahn and Netzer miss out :(
First of all Neuer misses out there? Or was that the :wenger:?

When leaving tactical considerations aside for a moment, Walter and Seeler would have to be in, imo. Overath didn't make any team so far (if I'm not mistaken), but I think he has as good a shout as any midfielder after Matthäus.

Šjor Bepo

First of all Neuer misses out there? Or was that the :wenger:?

When leaving tactical considerations aside for a moment, Walter and Seeler would have to be in, imo. Overath didn't make any team so far (if I'm not mistaken), but I think he has as good a shout as any midfielder after Matthäus.
Tbh i completely forgot neuer:lol:
As for the midfielders, love overath but cant find the place for him....

Šjor Bepo

Yeah, you lot go tactical instead of just cramming the greatest players into an XI like normal people.
Not really, i just like everyone(apart from Matthaus) else more then i like Overath + i probably rate them higher as well.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Not really, i just like everyone(apart from Matthaus) else more then i like Overath + i probably rate them higher as well.
Fair enough, and it's selection headaches all over. Overath/Matthäus/Schweinsteiger would be a great midfield three, but it's hard to decide who to leave out in front of them then.

GodShaveTheQueen

I reckon if you're going 352 like this you needs a bit more going forward, one of the midfield trio is redundant. I would switch out Bastian for Littbarski or Overath in that system
I have always maintained the LCM/LAM version of Bastian was an attacking beast. More than a decade old version of him was my favorite.
Oh again? Damn :lol:

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I think that's everyones favourite version of schweinsteiger, he was the definition of a late bloomer. It's amazing he had well over 50 caps by 2010 for a NT the stature of Germany considering he wasn't much more than a good solid player as a wide midfielder. He'd have been lucky to have more than 10 if he'd been around playing that position in the 70s to mid 90s era of German dominance.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Indonesia Best XI:

-----B. Pamungkas---R. Yacobi----

---Pattinasarani --B. Sakti---R. Nerre---

A. Santoso---------------------------------I. Idris
------H. Kiswanto--A. Ujang----R. Darwis--

------------- H. Kartiko ---

BlackShark_80

Hungary:
Czibor--------------Kocsis----------------Bene
----------Puskas-------------Kubala------------
----------Sarosi--------------Bozsik---------------
-----Biro-----------Lorant-----------Rudas-----------
--------------------Grosics-------------------------------
or
---------Puskas-------Kocsis-------
----------------Kubala----------------
----------Orth---------Bozsik-----------
----------------Sarosi---------------
Biro-----Lorant-------Meszoly----Rudas
----------------Grosics------------------

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

Hungary:
Czibor--------------Kocsis----------------Bene
----------Puskas-------------Kubala------------
----------Sarosi--------------Bozsik---------------
-----Biro-----------Lorant-----------Rudas-----------
--------------------Grosics-------------------------------
I thought of making an Hungary 11 but couldn't find a way to drop any of your front 5 , Hidegkuti, Florian Albert and Sarosi.

Kubala probably the easiest to drop considering he hardly featured for Hungary

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I thought of making an Hungary 11 but couldn't find a way to drop any of your front 5 , Hidegkuti, Florian Albert and Sarosi.

Kubala probably the easiest to drop considering he hardly featured for Hungary
He's not a shiny name but wouldn't you want Budai instead instead of Bene? From what I read and have seen, Bene is more of a second-striker than a right-winger.

GodShaveTheQueen

He's not a shiny name but wouldn't you want Budai instead instead of Bene? From what I read and have seen, Bene is more of a second-striker than a right-winger.
From what I know Budai was also a wing forward rather than a winger.

Besides, you'd usually want to fit as many shiny names as possible with these things :)

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
From what I know Budai was also a wing forward rather than a winger.

Besides, you'd usually want to fit as many shiny names as possible with these things :)
From what I have seen Budai was an orthodox right winger to Czibor's roaming forward.

Chemistry > Shiny names

GodShaveTheQueen

Do you know of any all-touch compilations from this time of him?
No, none exist on the internet. I searched.

I wanted to play him there a couple of drafts ago and rewatched few games. He was more brilliant than I remembered.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

paulscholes18

Buffon
Cannavaro baresi Maldini
Zambrotta Pirlo Facchetti
Tardelli Mazzola
Baggio Del Piero

Gilmar
Cafu Silva Lucio Carlos
Cerezo Falcao
Socrates Ronaldinho
Ronaldo Pele

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

WF is just the name on PES for a winger with essentially no defensive responsibility. Like a right-winger in a front 5.

What you will notice if you look at Bene and Czibor they are listed also as SS which tends to indicate they are more like a modern style wide forward than just a traditional winger.
Nah, they list orthodox wingers as SM (side Midfielders) as the primary position.

Don't think wing forward was Bene's best position, but his reputation puts him miles ahead of Budai in most footy circles

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Nah, they list orthodox wingers as SM (side Midfielders) as the primary position.

Don't think wing forward was Bene's best position, but his reputation puts him miles ahead of Budai in most footy circles
Matthews here is listed just as a WF and he is the archetypal classic winger.

http://www.pesmitidelcalcio.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=378

The same goes for Garrincha.

https://pesstatsdatabase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2725

Bene has a much better reputation than Budai, I just think Budai is a better tactical fit

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think the only way to accommodate Di Stefano, Messi and Maradona in the same team would be to pull Di Stefano back into the middle third. His record as a CF is compelling enough but he's not the right type of striker to really get the best out of Maradona. Something like:

I don't think Messi and Maradona have to be involved in the build-up and they have far superior 1v1 qualities you'd want to maximise against the opposition back line.

Argentina just needed one great left winger and their front four picks themselves.
One option could be to introduce Loustau who was by all accounts a classic outside-left, in order to provide that play-stretching space for the others:

GodShaveTheQueen

Both terrific lineups @Gio (Except Diego and Leo bit in 2nd team)

Loustau is a great choice. Did consider him

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
One option could be to introduce Loustau who was by all accounts a classic outside-left, in order to provide that play-stretching space for the others:

Now that side is tactically perfect and would maximise both Diego and Messi.

Šjor Bepo

Mix between quality, chemistry and personal favorites. Saying that, apart from Teddy this would probably be my all-time team quality wise as well....Rio loses out as i dont like 2 sweepers together, feck knows how Edwards got in there as he never really played there to my knowledge but Terry and Rio didnt work for some reason and Campbell is a bit meh on the all-time level. Harsh on both Matthews and Finney but id take my duo every day of the week and SHeringham is in there purely because of the chemistry and tactical reasons as i reckon everyone in this team would enjoy playing with him and im not really a fan of Shearer even though he is probably the best england striker of all time.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Harsh on Greaves as well. His movement was insane (and Yashin always provided incredible performances against him, poor fecker).