All Time Reserves Draft | Quarters

Enigma_87

You know who

Dragan Stojkovic - Piksi

One of my favorite players of all time. True leader he was the heart and soul of the best Yugoslav and Red star generation ever. Pity injuries ruined his career at really young age. In his peak he was trully special player, and did not look out of place against the very best of his peers - outdid Maradona in 1990 WC in their game, only to be eliminated on penos. Tore Milan a new one in 2 games against probably the best side ever.

It's hard to describe him in few words so let's put little videos to do the job.

Enigma_87

You know who
Bastian Schweinsteiger

Dubbed the "Midfield Motor", Schweinsteiger is also a superb reader of the game and has scored spectacularly due to his good positioning. He has been called "the brain" of the German national team by his coach Joachim Löw and is a key component of the treble winning Bayern team. One of the most complete all round midfielders of the last decade.
Bayern Munich
  • Bundesliga: 2002–03, 2004–05, 2005–06, 2007–08, 2009–10, 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15
  • DFB-Pokal: 2002–03, 2004–05, 2005–06, 2007–08, 2009–10, 2012–13, 2013–14
  • DFB-Ligapokal: 2004, 2007
  • DFL-Supercup: 2010, 2012
  • UEFA Champions League: 2012–13
  • UEFA Super Cup: 2013
  • FIFA Club World Cup: 2013
International
  • FIFA World Cup: 2014; Third Place: 2006, 2010
  • FIFA Confederations Cup Third Place: 2005
  • UEFA European Football Championship Runner-up: 2008
Individual
  • FIFA World Cup Dream Team: 2010[64]
  • FIFA World Cup Most assists: 2010
  • ESM Team of the Year: 2012–13
  • Footballer of the Year in Germany: 2013
  • UEFA Best Player in Europe Award: 2013 (7th place)

Allan Simonsen

Europe's best footballer 1977, Allan Simonsen had always been a mercurial talent. A glorious club career abroad in Borussia Moenchengladbach and Barcelona (along with a highly dubious move to then second division-settlers, Charlton FC) had together with the individual honour also seen him win several merits with his clubs, including UEFA and Cup Winner's Cups.

He had been a consistent and loyal member of the Danish national for years, even before Sepp Piontek's start in 1979 and as such went all the long journey from the eternal defeats of the 70's team to the 80's team with an unheard of killer instinct for a Danish side. At first he was the player which much of the play was built around, being the by far greatest player of the nation, but Simonsen was gradually marginalized as time began to take it's toll on him and others took over. He was meant to be the key player and provider of magic in 1984 but his forced break had seen him pushed out of the starting XI and by 1986 he was by and large only a reserve. Even a reserve who many meant was travelling to Mexico solely as a tribute from coach Sepp Piontek's who wanted to reward Simonsen's long and dedicated work to his team with an appearence at a World Cup. He was still though a very valued player among his team mates.

Domestic
  • Danish championship : 1971, 1972 and 1984 with Vejle Boldklub
  • Danish Cup : 1972 with Vejle Boldklub
  • German Cup : 1973 with Borussia M'gladbach
  • German Bundesliga : 1975, 1976 and 1977 with Borussia M'gladbach
  • Spanish Cup : 1981 with FC Barcelona
European
  • UEFA Cup : 1975 and 1979 with Borussia M'gladbach
  • Cup Winners' Cup : 1982 with FC Barcelona
Individual
  • Ballon d'Or : 1977
  • European Cup Top Scorer : 1977–78
  • UEFA Cup Top Scorer : 1978–79
  • Danish Football Hall of Fame

Jean-Pierre Papin

Jean-Pierre Papin was the best French player in the early 1990s. He was A fast and lethal strike with impressive technique. Papin was at his best in his career at Olympique Marseille in their greatest era. Marseille won four French league championships in a row (1989-1992), a French league and cup double in 1989 and reached the final of the European Champions Cup in 1991, losing to Red Star Belgrade after a penalty shootout. During this period, Papin was the French league's top scorer for five consecutive seasons (from 1988 to 1992). While at Marseille he won the Ballon d'or, awarded to Europe's top footballer, in 1991. He is the only player to win this award while playing for a French club. Throughout his career, Jean-Pierre Papin was famed for his volleyed shots; his fans would refer to them as "Papinades".
Individual
  • French Division 1: Top Scorer 1987–88, 1988–89, 1989–90, 1990–91, 1991–92
  • Onze de Bronze: 1989, 1990, 1992
  • European Cup Top Scorer: 1989–90, 1990–91, 1991–92
  • Onze d'Or: 1991
  • Ballon d'Or: 1991
  • FIFA World Player of the Year – Silver award: 1991
  • IFFHS World's Top Goal Scorer of the Year: 1991
  • FIFA XI: 1997, 1998, 1999[9]
  • FIFA 100: 2004
  • Named Joueur du Siècle (player of the century) of Olympique de Marseille
  • Golden Foot: 2013, as football legend

David Villa

During the late 00s and early 10s, David Villa was one of the most feared strikers on the European stage, becoming a pivotal player for both his clubs and national team. After prolific spells with Sporting Gijón and Real Zaragoza, he joined Valencia in 2005 and elevated himself to the top of the game with consistently excellent displays and bags full of goals.

A prolific goalscorer able to deliver real gems from time to time, Villa was a versatile player able to perform out wide, behind a main forward (as he did in Euro 08) or as a lone striker. A goal in a friendly against England in February 2009 saw him set a new record by becoming the first Spanish player to score in six successive games for the national team, and it wouldn't be too long before he took over Raúl as Spain's national team all-time topscorer.

Real Zaragoza
  • Copa del Rey (1): 2003–04
  • Supercopa de España (1): 2004
Valencia
  • Copa del Rey (1): 2007–08
Barcelona
  • La Liga (2): 2010–11, 2012–13
  • Copa del Rey (1): 2011–12
  • Supercopa de España (2): 2010, 2011
  • UEFA Champions League (1): 2010–11
  • UEFA Super Cup (1): 2011
  • FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2011
Atlético Madrid
  • La Liga (1): 2013–14
  • UEFA Champions League Runner-up (1): 2013–14
New York City
  • MLS All-Star: 2015
Country
Spain
  • FIFA World Cup (1): 2010
  • UEFA European Championship (1): 2008
Individual
Awards
  • Spanish Player of the Year: 2005–06
  • Zarra Trophy: 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10
  • UEFA Euro 2008 Golden Boot
  • UEFA Euro 2008 Team of the Tournament[145]
  • UEFA Euro 2008 Man of the Match Spain vs Russia, Spain vs Sweden
  • 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup Bronze Shoe
  • 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup Team of the Tournament.[155]
  • 2010 FIFA World Cup Silver Shoe
  • 2010 FIFA World Cup Bronze Ball
  • 2010 FIFA World Cup Dream Team[215]
  • 2010 FIFA World Cup Man of the Match Spain vs Honduras
  • USSA Male Athlete of the Year: 2010
  • FIFA/FIFPro World XI: 2010
  • UEFA Team of the Year: 2010
  • MLS Player of the Week 2015: Week 2
  • MLS Player of the Week 2015: Week 15
  • MLS All-Star: 2015[216]
  • NYCFC Etihad Player of the month: July 2015
  • Ride of Fame: September 2015 [217]
  • NYCFC Most Valuable Player: 2015[218]
  • NYCFC Goal of the Year: 2015
Achievements

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
There was a slightly longer and updated write-up on him later on.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-uefa-euro-fantasy-draft.403052/page-63#post-17509624

In one game he played the last 20 minutes with an injured meniscus in his knee, after which he got on the train and went to his hometown to visit his family :lol:. There is also the anecdote whereby before the 1962 World Cup, they showed Pluskal's X-ray to the doctor, the doctor said: "Poor guy was in a wheel-chair for quite some time, wasn't he?" - "No, he is preparing for the World Cup as we speak".
:lol:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
@green_smiley

@Marty1968 hasn't been around here for some time, so let's set the date for our game to be Monday 25 April.

@Aldo I'm tagging you here to confirm the date for our match. I'm sure Marty will be okay with it given that he hasn't been to active with me anyways.

Moby

Dick
@green_smiley

@Marty1968 hasn't been around here for some time, so let's set the date for our game to be Monday 25 April.

@Aldo I'm tagging you here to confirm the date for our match. I'm sure Marty will be okay with it given that he hasn't been to active with me anyways.
Drags the thing a bit but alright. Please don't delay it further. Gs sent me his stuff couple of days ago.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Drags the thing a bit but alright. Please don't delay it further. Gs sent me his stuff couple of days ago.
Really? Dang, this week's super busy for me, and Marty hasn't been around for some time to help out. I'm already behind on my work, so I can't afford to risk it anymore.

I'll try my best to send you my stuff so that we can get started sooner, but I can't make any guarantees here. This is why I wanted an AM: to help me out during this busy time, but I'll try my best to get something going.

Moby

Dick
Really? Dang, this week's super busy for me, and Marty hasn't been around for some time to help out. I'm already behind on my work, so I can't afford to risk it anymore.

I'll try my best to send you my stuff so that we can get started sooner, but I can't make any guarantees here. This is why I wanted an AM: to help me out during this busy time, but I'll try my best to get something going.
We can wait till Monday, that's alright m

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
@green_smiley

25 April it is

I sent a draft copy to Aldo earlier in case I am busy the next few days

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
We can wait till Monday, that's alright m
Another thing that I forgot to mention: my work hours really restrict me during the match days as I am unable to contribute to them until I come back home at 6:30 p.m. EDT, which becomes 11:30 p.m. BST (10:30 p.m. GMT). My time at home is pretty much the time when most of you guys will be sleeping. Marty was primarily recruited to help me out with this, but if he's going to be away for some more time from the Caf, then I'll try my best to provide inputs into the match when I'm at home.

I'm not asking for favours or anything else. I'm just letting you know about my situation right now. I don't want another AWOL moment like I had against @Tuppet in the '40's Draft.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Sent to @Aldo, feel free to start whenever you like. My connectivity is still choppy but I'll try my best to engage in a lively debate. Best of luck @Downcast
Good. I will be available to discuss at 3pm london time.

@Aldo will receive my write-up in the next hour

Let's start at 3pm -London time

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Aldo

Do you think a title like " Reserve Draft Game 2 - Are you Orange or (another colour) ?" will attract more viewers, participants and voters?

Maybe, I am naive :angel:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@Aldo

Do you think a title like " Reserve Draft Game 2 - Are you Orange or (another colour) ?" will attract more viewers, participants and voters?

Maybe, I am naive :angel:
It's discriminatory against the colorblind users

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Not at all. I just thought you may not have been around since you didn't respond to Aldo's post. It would be great if you can set it up :)
;)

No worries, I'm around during the day, so just send your stuff to me and I'll start the game.

harms

Staff
I would ask you all to participate in the discussion in the games 2 and 3, if possible - so far it's just two managers arguing to each other, which is not at all entertaining.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I would ask you all to participate in the discussion in the games 2 and 3, if possible - so far it's just two managers arguing to each other, which is not at all entertaining.
Game 3: One manager arguing to himself :lol:

Moby

Dick
I skim read a bit. Both quite interesting games. I'll try to chip in later if possible. Just finished a pretty long flight and now I'm somewhere in the middle of the British countryside.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
PLAYER PROFILES

Ronnie Hellström

Individual Accomplishments:

European Goalkeeper of the Year: 1974, 1977, 1978, 1979
Ballon D'Or: 6th (1978)
Swedish Golden Ball - 1971, 1978

Profile:

One of the most underrated goalkeepers of all time (by virtue of playing at Hammarby and Kaiserslautern at club level), Ronnie Hellström is critically regarded as the best Scandanavian goalkeeper after Peter Schmeichel, and the greatest goalkeeper Sweden has produced ahead of Thomas Ravelli. A spectacular shot-stopper, Hellström used his cat-like reflexes to repeatedly thwart opposition attackers, and was equally impressive in the air.

Karlheinz Förster

1980 European Championship Team of the Tournament
1984 European Championship Team of the Tournament
German Footballer of the Year: 1982
German Defender of the Year: 1982, 1983, 1984, 1986
Kicker Defender of the Year: 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986
Bundesliga 20th Anniversary Kicker All Time Positional Ranking: #1 Vorstopper

Team Accomplishments:

1980 European Championship Winner
1982 and 1986 World Cup Runner-up
Bundesliga Winner: 1984
Ligue 1 Winner: 1989, 1990
Coupe de France Winner: 1989

Profile:

Karlheinz Förster is arguably the best defender in this draft pool, and the greatest marker in the history of German and Bundesliga football after only Jürgen Kohler - allying supreme anticipatory skills, the ability to read the forwards, positioning, and the ability to stifle his assignment. The winner of a European Championship on the international stage, and one of the key components of 2 West German teams that reached the final of the World Cup in the 1980s - Förster brings an elite level of experience and pedigree to the backline, and helps form a decisive barrier with the other half of the central defensive partnership.

Billy Wright

1957 Ballon D'Or Runner-up
1952 FWA Footballer of the Year
1998 Football League 100 Legends
Awarded the CBE for services to football: 1959
Inaugural inductee of the English Football Hall of Fame: 2002
Record Captain of the English Team: 90 matches

Team Accomplishments:

First Division Champion: 1954, 1958, 1959
FA Cup Winner: 1949

Profile:

The greatest defensive legend in the history of English football after a certain Bobby Moore, Wright was in some ways the Moore of the '50s - one of the select few defenders to finish top 3 in the Ballon D'Or after he finished behind Di Stéfano in 1957. Wright was a master of timing both in terms of beating taller players to headers with his prodigious jumping ability, and winning the ball in strong but precise tackles (in 21 years and 646 matches for club and country, he was never once booked or sent off - despite playing in a position where winning the ball was the fundamental requirement). He also had a remarkable ability to read the game - unflappably calm and calculating - able to diagnose attacks with his intuition for the game - and launch quick breaks upfield. And to round things off, he an inspirational leader who rallied the troops (evidenced by the fact that he's still the longest serving captain of the national team). Here he forms a tasty, and balanced partnership with one of the great stoppers in football.

Manfred Kaltz

German Defender of the Year: 1987
Kicker Defender of the Year: 1979, 1989, 1981
Bundesliga 20th Anniversary Kicker All Time Positional Ranking: #2 Rechter Verteidiger after Berti Vogts

Team Accomplishments:

1980 European Championship Winner
1982 World Cup Runner-up
1976 European Championship Runner-up
1983 European Cup Winner
1977 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Winner
1983 Intercontinental Cup Runner-up
1980 European Cup Runner-up
1982 UEFA Cup Runner-up
Bundesliga Champion: 1979, 1982, 1993

Profile:

A model of sustained excellence, 'Manni' Kaltz played in 581 Bundesliga games for Hamburger SV - which to this day remains the second greatest total of an individual in Bundesliga history behind Karl-Heinz Körbel, and 69 games for West Germany; apart from his record of 291 league wins, which rates second only to Oliver Kahn. A hard-running, attack-minded right-back with a nose for goal, Kaltz will will provide great energy down the right flank in trademark fashion to gel with Julinho - and one skill that made him famous is of particular use to the team - Kaltz was famous for his right-footed crosses, which he hit with so much spin that they curved like a banana. They were affectionately called "Bananenflanken" ("banana crosses"). He often used this technique to set up hulking striker Horst Hrubesch, whose 96 goals with HSV included many from Kaltz crosses that Hrubesch headed into the opposing goal. Hrubesch once described their partnership when he explained one of his goals with the often quoted words "Manni banana, I head, goal". He will seek to form a similar kind of understanding with another striker who was excellent in the air - Luigi Riva.

Marinho Chagas

South American Player of the Year 1974: 2nd behind Elías Figueroa
Placar Bola de Prata Award: 1972, 1973, 1981

Team Accomplishments:

4th in the 1974 World Cup.
Campeionato Paulista with São Paulo.
1976 Copa Roca.
1976 Copa Rio Branco.

Profile:

Sometimes, a nation has a propensity to produce several great players in one position - Italy and centerbacks, Argentina and attackers, the Netherlands and midfielders. One such position is the wingback/ fullback spot for Brazil - with names like Nilton Santos, Carlos Alberto, Djalma Santos, Cafu adorning the pantheon of greats for not just Brazil, but football as a whole. And within that pile - certain players get underrated - particularly ones that played in a team that wasn't one of Brazil's vintage - 1974 World Cup in West Germany. Nevertheless, Marinho Chagas was one of the standouts for the team and the tournament - part of a defense that conceded 0 goals in the Group Stages, and only 3 overall. Not only was Marinho a perceptive defender, he was superb will the ball on his feet - in typical Brazilian fashion - rampaging up and down the flank. Here, he will form a mutually beneficial partnership with Raimundo Orsi - Marinho overlapping when Orsi goes inside, and coming onto his stronger right foot in inside channels when Orsi stretches the flank.

Néstor Rossi

Accomplishments:

Copa América: 1947, 1957 with Argentina
Primera División: 1945, 1947, 1955, 1956, 1957 with River Plate
Colombian League: 1949, 1951, 1952, 1953 with Millonarios
Pequeña Copa del Mundo: 1953
Golden Jubilee Cup: 1952
Colombian Cup: 1953

Profile:

Fondly known as 'La Voz de América' or 'The Voice of America' - for his excellent organisational ability - Rossi is one of the greatest destroyers in history, arguably the greatest destroyer in Argentine football, and their greatest defensive midfielder overall after Luis Monti and Fernando Redondo. An authentic leader of football, Rossi was a vigorous and powerful player - superb in positional play, balance, peripheral organizing ability - displaying enormous physical ability and tackling ability to win the ball from opponents and being an indispensable player of every team he played for. Rossi became a vital cog for River Plate's legendary La Máquina team of the '50s, and then Millonarios' Ballet Azul - where he was part of a great trio also consisting of Di Stéfano and Pedernera - before returning to River Plate during their next era of great success with Omar Sívori. Here, he will anchor the midfield trio - bringing an extremely high level of defensive and positional nous to the back-end given his peak as a 'centrojá', and because of his superb man marking and sliding skills, he's suited to keeping a close eye on Kaká.

Šjor Bepo

Gérson de Oliveira

1970 World Cup Silver Ball
1970 World Cup Final Man of the Match
1970 World Cup All-Star Team
Brazilian Hall of Fame
World Soccer Greatest Players of the Century: #97

Team Accomplishments:

1970 World Cup Winner
Torneio Rio – São Paulo Winner: 1961, 1964, 1966
Rio de Janeiro Championship: 1963, 1967, 1968, 1973
Taça Brasil: 1968
São Paulo Championship: 1970, 1971

Profile:

The successor to Didi, one of the best orchestrators in football history, and the mastermind behind the greatest national team of all time (1970 Brazil) - Gérson offers peerless passing range in this draft. His ability to lay the ball off for forward runners on a dime, send one of his trademark floating balls into wider areas, revert to slightly deeper positions and press forward, and deceive his marker will be on full display here. And although we expect devious arguments predicated on 'workrate' - Gérson's defensive nous is underrated - and - he has more structural support here than he did with Brazil or at Botafogo in terms of defensive backing - which will enable him to focus on what he did best - unleash the vision of his creativity, move around the field, find pockets of space, and weave the fabric of play. And since he will have the freedom to be a little more offensive, Gérson's record of more than 200 goals for club and country with come in handy.

A glimpse of what Gérson can do at the grandest stage:

Thomas Häßler

FIFA World Player of the Year: Bronze Award 1992
FIFA XI: 1999
German Footballer of the Year: 1989, 1992
World Cup Most Assists: 1994
Bundesliga Team of the Season - 1988, 1989, 1990, 1996, 1998, 2000
UEFA European Championship Team of the Tournament: 1992
Kicker's top 5 midfielder of the year - 1988, 1989, 1990, 1995, 1996, 1997

Team Accomplishments:

1990 World Cup Winner
1996 UEFA European Championship Winner
1992 European Championship Runner-up
1985/86 UEFA Cup Runner-up
Bundesliga Runner-up: 1989, 1990

Profile:

One of the greatest and most versatile German midfielders of all time, and a veritable master of the art of free-kicks - Häßler was an effervescent and irrepressible pocket dynamo whose calculated dribbles, industriousness - on the ball and off it, sparkling creativity and spectacular goals bewitched countless opponents. Häßler enjoyed illustrious success with the German national side, lifting the World Cup and European Championship in 1990 and 1996. He was also the best player of the tournament at the European Championship in 1992, leading Germany to the final with a series of outstanding displays and fabulous goals. By the time Häßler retired, he was only the 5th German ever to collect over a century of caps for his country. Here, Häßler will play a tucked in role to make it a midfield 3 - with the freedom to make subtle forays into more attacking positions, link up with Gérson, send his trademark passes through to Riva to exploit, and bring an exquisite blend of creativity and workrate to dovetail with the 2 legendary Brazilians on both sides of him.

Julinho

Voted 73rd Best Player of the twentieth century by Score
Brazil Football Hall of Fame
World Soccer World XI: 1960

Team Accomplishments:

1957 European Cup Runner-up
Serie A Champion: 1956
1953 Copa America Runner-Up
Campeonato Paulista 1959, 1963, 1966
Campeonato Pan-Americano: 1956
Torneio Rio-São Paulo: 1952, 1955, 1965
Taça Brasil: 1960
Torneio Roberto Gomes Pedrosa: 1967
Copa Rocca: 1960

Profile:

"The man who shut up Maracanã" - considered to be one of the greatest wingers in the history of football, and the best right winger Brazil has produced after Garrincha and Jairzinho - Julinho was a technically gifted, powerful, tricky, goalscoring winger with remarkable dribbling skills - in typical Brazilian mold. One of the great tragedies of Julinho's international career was the fact that in the 1950s, most South American national teams did not select their foreign-based players. However, Brazil asked Julinho to return to the national team for the World Cuo Finals in 1958. They even suggested that he would meet them in Europe after they arrived for the World Cup Finals. However, Julinho did not want to take a spot of a regular player who fought the World Cup qualifiers and the buildup and tuned the invitation down. If he had taken the spot, Brazil would have dropped Garrincha, who was the backup right wing leading up to the World Cup Finals. The rest as they say is history - Garrincha ascended to godly status in Julinho's right forward role - and Julinho could only play a leading part in the 1954 World Cup (with the likes of Didi, Nilton Santos, Djalma Santos) - scoring 2 goals before losing to Puskás's Magyars in the quarterfinal - a match dubbed the Battle of Bern where 3 players were sent off. Consequently, he missed out on Brazil's era of great success with the 1958 and 1962 World Cups - sandwiched between the heartbreak of 1950 - which became immortalized in wider public consciousness. At club level, Julinho played for Juventus and Portuguesa; and after joining Fiorentina was fundamental for the team to conquer their first Scudetto, apart from reaching the European Cup final vs Di Stéfano's Madrid. Here, Julinho will provide genius level of wingplay and a secondary goal threat from wider areas.

Raimundo Orsi

1934 World Cup Team of the Tournament
Voted 9th Greatest Argentina Player of the 20th Century after Daniel Passarella

Team Accomplishments:

1934 World Cup Winner with Italy
1927 Copa América Winner with Argentina
1928 Olympics Silver medal with Argentina
Serie A Winner : 1931, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1935
Primera División Champion: 1922, 1926

Profile:

One of the greatest players of his era, one third of the triumvirate of the great Italian World Cup winning teams with Meazza and Monti (a fellow Argentine); and one of the greatest wingers in football history - Raimundo 'Mumo' Orsi was a quick, left-footed flank wizard with exceptional technical and crossing ability. A virtuoso and a prolific goalscorer, he was an accurate finisher, both with his head and his feet, and excelled in the air and acrobatically. Because of this he was also capable of playing as an inside forward or occasionally as a striker, and on the right flank, a position in which he was able to make diagonal attacking runs and shoot with his stronger foot. He was also one of the pioneers of feints - executed with deadly precision to turn his markers inside out.

Orsi in the World Cup final where he canceled out Antonín Puč's opener, and helped pave the way for 2 consecutive World Cups for Italy:

Luigi Riva

Ballon D'Or 1967-1970: 13th, 6th, 2nd, 3rd
Serie A Top Scorer - 1967, 1969, 1970
UEFA European Championship Team of the Tournament: 1968
Italian Hall of Fame
World Soccer Greatest Players of the Century: #72
Voted 8th Greatest Italian Player of the 20th Century ahead of Roberto Baggio

Team Accomplishments:

1968 European Championship Winner
1970 World Cup Finalist
Serie A Winner 1970

The 'Roar of Thunder' - Luigi Riva is regarded as one of Italy's greatest players - the standards by which all succeeding striker were judged (they did fall short), and was a well rounded, prolific, and opportunistic forward, with astonishing finishing skill - who repeatedly spurned the chance to join Juventus (they were willing to make him the most expensive football in history - overtaking Cruyff) - to win the Serie A with Cagliari. Unfortunately, Riva's career was blighted by major injuries. He broke his left leg playing for the national side against Portugal shortly before the 1966 World Cup. He broke his right leg, again on international duty, this time against Austria just after the 1970 World Cup. In 1976, he ruptured a tendon in his right thigh playing for Cagliari against Milan. He never successfully recovered and, despite comeback attempts, eventually retired in 1978. Because he was initially deployed as a winger early in his career, he brings a degree of mobility to the forward line, apart from his obvious qualities as a striker. A naturally left footed player, he had a very powerful and accurate shot, and in the air due to his powerful physique, volleying ability, and his heading accuracy. Despite his strong physical attributes, he also possessed excellent technical skill and dribbling ability, as well as a very delicate first touch. In addition to his goalscoring prowess and technique, he was also an extremely fit and fast player, who excelled during sprints and at making attacking runs. Because of his rounded skillset, and incredible scoring ability (almost a goal a game for Italy, and 3 Serie A top scoring titles in the era of Catenaccio) - Riva is ideally suited to leading the forward line - not only occupying the defenders and keeping them honest, but acting as a fulcrum for Julino and Orsi in particular.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Sub:
Héctor Scarone

Voted 40th in the World Player of the Century election.
Voted 20th in the South America Player of the Century election.
Voted 4th in the Uruguayan Player of the Century election.

Team Accomplishments:

FIFA World Cup Winner: 1930
Copa América Winner: 1917, 1923, 1924, 2926
Copa América Runner-up: 1919, 1927
Copa América Second Runner-up: 1921, 1922, 1929
Olympic Gold: 1924, 1928

Profile:

Scarone is regarded among the quartet of legendary Uruguayan World Cup winning players alongside José Leandro Andrade, Obdulio Varela and José Nasazzi - an inside forward of immense quality who was the record holder for goals scored by a Uruguayan on the international front for more than 70 years. Fondly remembered as 'El Magico' - apart from the 'magic' - he was a hard worker and tough a competitor, in the classic Uruguayan mould of the era and was adept at playing an individual role as well as being an important team member. He is considered to be the greatest pre-war era attacker with Giuseppe Meazza and Mathias Sindelaar, and arguably the greatest South American attacker of the era.

harms

Staff
Regarding Scarone - I was genuinely surprised by how highly is he rated in Uruguay

It's a list of the best football players ever - well, it's how different magazines from the different countries answered that question. Take note of El Pais (Uruguay) - you can see that Scarone is second only behind Pele - ahead of Maradona, Nasazzi and Scifiaffino (whom, I thought, was widely regarded as the best Uruguayan footballer, with Nasazzi, Varela and Andrade not far behind)

Some interesting choices there too - for example, Masopust in the Argentinian selection and Maier in Portuguese

harms

Staff
I'll post my Streltsov gif write-up here so that more people would see it and it would be easier to reference it in case someone would want to pick him.

As promised, the in-depth write-up for Streltsov - out key player. Please wait until all the gifs are loaded. There are quite a few of them

Eduard Streltsov - the footage

First and foremost, Streltsov was a brilliant striker. He showed a vast array of skills since his debut as a 16 years old, scoring two hat-trick in his first two games for USSR as a 17-year old; becoming the league top-scorer as an 18-year old; leading his country to the Olympic goals as a 19-year old. He scored goals for fun, netting 48 goals in his first 89 appearances for Torpedo Moscow (and that includes all his appearances since he was sixteen); scoring 18 goals in just 21 appearances for the national team before the imprisonment.

So, without further ado, I'll show you some of his goals, from both parts of his career - not much footage of him is available, sadly :(

I was also amazed when, after researching Streltsov, I stumbled upon the video consisting 1000 United goals at Old Trafford. And there it was - the subconscious familiarity that I felt towards Streltsov finally made sense. The sheer presence of Cantona, his positive arrogance, his understanding of the game and the need to aesthetically please the fans - Streltsov was exactly the same.

To be continued...

harms

Staff
There was a saying between fans that Streltsov is thinking with his heels - he loved his backheel passes and used to do them on a regular basis

Against La Grande Inter

Backheel nutmeg assist in the USSR Cup final - sadly the replay starts a little too late

Eduard Streltsov said:
There are eleven players in the team and we are all communicating by passes. Passing connects us, it is the language that we are speaking. You can fool your opponent with a beautiful dribble; you can make a showy shot or an impressive jump. You can even run beautifully. You can and you should. But the most important thing in football is passing. Pass should be gentle, accurate, timely. It should be smart, unexpected, cunning
Very smart one-touch assist

Another subtle one-two with the wingforward

To be continued...

harms

Staff
Inter vs Torpedo match report said:
Maybe it would've been more productive to alternate ways and methods of the attacking play, like Streltsov did, switching between dribbling runs with the ball, a battering ram tactic or 1-2's with his partners. But there were no other Streltsov on the pitch

Enigma_87

You know who
great work @harms for the gifs to present (what I presume is one of your all time favorite players) Streltsov