All-Time South American and European XIs

Enigma_87

You know who
Actually Christmas tree doesn't look too bad too:

for SA team I tried to cram all of Diego/Messi/Di Stefano. On paper it should work if we put egos aside. In reality however...

Enigma_87

You know who
Not bad, but you could use a playmaker in that SA team enigma.
Yeah I reckon there were 2 too many in that team. Can put in Messi instead of Maradona but I doubt that will make a significant difference :lol:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Wingerless but no back 5 SA

---------------Romario---------------
--=Pele------------------------Messi (MSN)
-----------Cerezo----Falcao-----------------
----------------Redondo------------------------
R.Carlos--T.Silva-Figueroa-Cafu
------------------Chilavert-----------------

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm not as purist about keeping Messi and Maradona apart. Messi played hugely successfully with Neymar for instance despite both being dominant ball-carriers.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I'm not as purist about keeping Messi and Maradona apart. Messi played hugely successfully with Neymar for instance despite both being dominant ball-carriers.
How would you set them up and which version of Messi would you use?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
How would you set them up and which version of Messi would you use?

Pele - Romario - Messi
Maradona
Redondo-Falcao
Carlos - Passarella - Figueroa - Cafu
Mazurkiewicz​

• Attack-minded team, but in for a penny, in for a pound. Better than that IMO than throwing in a few guys who don't meet the technical requirements just to balance things up. The Redondo-Falcao base looks solid to me, more impressed with Redondo's physicality now in light of Joga's match compilations from earlier in his career. Both team-orientated enough to complement Diego in that midfield unit.​
  • Anto will screech in horror, but I really don't see the need for Passarella to be bombing on all the time in such a stacked set-up. But his combative defensive quality, use of the ball, proactive anticipation and set-piece threat are all invaluable.​
  • Left flank of Carlos overlapping and Pele attacking the inside-left channel where he struck gold for Santos in the early 1960s. Cafu/Messi on the other side is simply Alves/Messi notched up.​
  • Romario is arguably the best partner for Maradona and for Messi - stretches the play and focuses on efficiently burying the chances everyone else creates.​

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
By the way, I really dislike how deep people often put Di Stéfano in their teams. He was, first of all, an attacker. Probably an attacking midfielder in today's terms — but don't shove him as a center mid, however good his workrate was!

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
By the way, I really dislike how deep people often put Di Stéfano in their teams. He was, first of all, an attacker. Probably an attacking midfielder in today's terms — but don't shove him as a center mid, however good his workrate was!
The thing is at Real he generally had four players ahead of him so I can understand that impulse depending on the system. Ideally I'd have him in a side like this -

---------------Pele---------MVB------------
Giggs----Voronin------ADS-------Figo
Maldini---Kohler----Der Kaiser---Vogts
---------------------Buffon----------------------------

In possession -

-------------Pele------MVB-------------
Giggs----------ADS-----------FIgo
--------Voronin-----Der Kaiser-------
------Maldini--Kohler---Vogts
-------------------Buffon------------------

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yeah, reckon an attacking 8 in 4-3-3 would be as far as I would go with him.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It would have been great to see what he was like in his early 20s if he played more conventionally as a centre-forward or was always a roamer.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Pele - Romario - Messi
Maradona
Redondo-Falcao
Mazurkiewicz​

• Attack-minded team, but in for a penny, in for a pound. Better than that IMO than throwing in a few guys who don't meet the technical requirements just to balance things up. The Redondo-Falcao base looks solid to me, more impressed with Redondo's physicality now in light of Joga's match compilations from earlier in his career. Both team-orientated enough to complement Diego in that midfield unit.​
  • Anto will screech in horror, but I really don't see the need for Passarella to be bombing on all the time in such a stacked set-up. But his combative defensive quality, use of the ball, proactive anticipation and set-piece threat are all invaluable.​
  • Left flank of Carlos overlapping and Pele attacking the inside-left channel where he struck gold for Santos in the early 1960s. Cafu/Messi on the other side is simply Alves/Messi notched up.​
  • Romario is arguably the best partner for Maradona and for Messi - stretches the play and focuses on efficiently burying the chances everyone else creates.​

That's an uber attacking line-up. It certainly has pretty much the best XI players. You are also right they do miss another elite player to balance things out. I mean if SA had Luis Figo for example you could have a much more balanced side and keep the technical level up.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
That's an uber attacking line-up. It certainly has pretty much the best XI players. You are also right they do miss another elite player to balance things out. I mean if SA had Luis Figo for example you could have a much more balanced side and keep the technical level up.
I guess Falcao could be exchanged for a runner at CM/DM. The whole backline is great on the ball, then there's Redondo and three all time great playmakers in front.

Seeing all these S.A. teams, my favourite all star attacking combination would be Diego at AM and Pele as (wide-ranging) CF. The dynamic when they meet up halfway would be fun. Would probably gel with young Messi at RW as well.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Pele - Romario - Messi
Maradona
Redondo-Falcao
Mazurkiewicz​

Best so far if you try to go for a GOAT level team.