All-Time XI Built Around Beckenbauer with Modern(ish) Tactics

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
To continue the Beckenbauer discussion from the other thread. How would you line-up with Der Kaiser with tactics used in elite level football from approximately the year 2000 to the present day.

Edit - I'm trying to give more options than essentially current Real, PSG, Bayern, City and Pool tactics bit keeping it reasonably modern.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Unlike 90% of other liberos/sweepers from another thread reckon he would be playing in midfield, at least right now dont really now how it would be in early 00s. Problem he had while playing in midfield was that he was like 50 years ahead of everyone else so while he would do a correct football move pretty much every time, majority of times he wouldnt get the benefit from it as his teammate just didnt understand what to do next.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Unlike 90% of other liberos/sweepers from another thread reckon he would be playing in midfield, at least right now dont really now how it would be in early 00s. Problem he had while playing in midfield was that he was like 50 years ahead of everyone else so while he would do a correct football move pretty much every time, majority of times he wouldnt get the benefit from it as his teammate just didnt understand what to do next.
I'm asking for post 2000 tactics. It could this season or last season. I was just giving more options than just a Pep or Klopp side.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
The simplest thing would be a stretched pitch to create as much space through the middle of the park as possible.

I think he'd be in a double pivot so he has the option to carry the ball forward and dictate play, maybe similar to what we currently think FDJ would need to shine

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Müller had similar problems. How many times did I see him falling back perfectly to receive & lay off the ball in a modern CF fashion, just to get ignored and overplayed by a long ball or something. It's probably part of why Beckenbauer and him had such a great understanding when they met up during attacking moves.

Tbf, it didn't matter much because this move was less valuable in the less structured 1970s game than it would be in the condensed space of today's football.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Benzema
Vini Jr ............................................... Mbappé

Beckenbauer .................. KDB
Fabinho

Davies .......... VVD ... Marquinhos ... James

Alisson​

2022 team with Beckenbauer in the "Kroos" position. The point is of course he has a wider set of strengths to play out from there, but the main task would still be DLP work.

But yeah, I agree the FDJ role would be the most obvious fit. Pretty much a modernised version of how he played a lot in the 60s.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
you can pick almost any player whos strenghts lie in possession and with todays coaching Kaiser would shine at it - Verratti, Modric, Bernardo, Iniesta, Xavi, Thiago, De Jong etc.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
No idea what the other thread/discussion is but largely agree with this. Always rated him very highly as a midfielder and in fact only ever drafted him as one.

He made football look simple and effortless, which probably doesn't help when most seem to hold blood and thunder enforcers as the gold standard.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
A reimagined version of Heynckes' 2012—13 team could be a convenient and familiar environment for him in the modern period.

Didn't want to use him as a pure playmaking central midfielder with a limited dominion because that would adulterate the essence of what made him such a special footballer with a knack of being in the right space at the right time in different parts of the pitch (that rare multidimensional foresight as a libero was how the comparisons with Frenkie first cropped up, not just because the Dutchman was nonchalantly elegant on the ball). In the aforementioned XI, he would not reprise Martínez's exact function per se — but interpret things as he saw fit in combination with his pivot-partner Schweinsteiger (who was a force of nature back then and a genuine do-it-all type).

Yes, he would make things smoother and more organized in possession as a mobile regista of sorts, but also blur the lines between midfield and defense on occasion, intelligently drive the ball from one box to the other and serve as the primary reference point for defensive-to-midfield transitions (things he might not get to do as a mere pass-master interior, for example). A vast and seemingly super-human remit, but I think you should push inimitable giants like Beckenbauer to their theoretical limits — where's the fun in coddling them and giving them simplistic instructions like you would with more down-to-earth players? Plenty of guile, movement and rigor around him to accentuate his foremost qualities as well.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
in combination with his pivot-partner Schweinsteiger
Yeah, whenever I think up a Beckenbauer all time XI, he's kind of inevitable. (As with many other fantasy XIs, for that matter.)

Just the perfect balance player, very complete and intelligently switching between sidekick and main man mode. So exactly what Beckenbauer needs to freely exhibit his complete repertoire as well.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I wonder how he would have been shaped by modern coaches were he to grow up in this era .