Alphonso Davies | Verbally agreed to join Real Madrid

pascell

No we offered him a trial... the interest was there, but compared to Bayern we lacked conviction. Maybe we underestimated the MLS. In a perfect world we could've gotten both him and Haaland for under 40m
Our north american scout rated him highly and urged us to buy him according to rumours i`ve read.

From the MEN:
”The scout, who had previously recommended a 14-year-old Neymar to Chelsea as well as teenage forward Radamel Falcao, filed over 40 reports on Davies in his two-and-a-half-years at United, but to no avail. Their loss was very much Bayern's gain.”
I stand corrected, thanks!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s incredible. Although if we signed him it wouldn’t have been as a LB. He was a winger back then.

NYAS

Could easily see him doing a Bale and being moved forward.

He is so explosive. Outrageous player.

If we paid 50m for AWB, Chelsea paying 80m for Chilwell then Davies is worth 200m. Just an absolute monster.
He’s actually already done a reverse Bale. He was a winger at the Whitecaps and only turned into an LB in Munich.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There were people on the cafe doubting his inclusion in the world XI thread.

He's a monster of a player.
I don't think that's unreasonable. He's clearly a class player but he's still in his first full season and someone like Robertson has had 2 full seasons at a very high level. I do think Davies will go on to be the better player overall and will reach greater heights but it's not as clear cut as people think.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He’s actually already done a reverse Bale. He was a winger at the Whitecaps and only turned into an LB in Munich.
Also, he's having a huge impact from his current position. Why change that? It's like suggesting TAA should move out of right-back, which I have also seen. What is it that's not going well with Davies and TAA in their current positions at Bayern and Liverpool that makes people think they might better play somewhere else?

Crustanoid

Our north american scout rated him highly and urged us to buy him according to rumours i`ve read.

From the MEN:
”The scout, who had previously recommended a 14-year-old Neymar to Chelsea as well as teenage forward Radamel Falcao, filed over 40 reports on Davies in his two-and-a-half-years at United, but to no avail. Their loss was very much Bayern's gain.”
I’d like to know how much annually we spend on our scouting operations and whether it is value for money

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't think that's unreasonable. He's clearly a class player but he's still in his first full season and someone like Robertson has had 2 full seasons at a very high level. I do think Davies will go on to be the better player overall and will reach greater heights but it's not as clear cut as people think.
I think Davies' current season is better than either of Robertson's last 2.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
World class. There I said it.

The boy is immense. Head and shoulders the best North American player.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Yikes. Kid only just burst on to the scene.
He's been one of our Top 5 performers from the second he stepped on the court as a left back early in the season. He burst onto the scene way before the Chelsea game.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I think its close.

Ill tell you what though, If I was starting a team? I would pick Davies all day and not think twice over Robertson.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Davies' attacking attributes make him a huge, huge attacking threat from the left wing. It sort of sucks to see him at left back because he can be a huge attacking threat as a winger. However, his physical attributes make him a great candidate for that left wing back role, and he can become as much of, if not more, of an attacking threat from there as Marcelo and Alaba were.

He and Pulisic are the superstars that North American football badly needed to inspire the future generation of footballers.

mu4c_20le

Don't give me that yikes.

He's had an incredible season. Hardly controversial to think it's been better than Robertson's 2 best.
I dunno, hes certainly much more exciting to watch, but Robertson is more productive.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Think he's been the best left back in the world since December 2019.

Complete player. Attacks, defends, strong, quick. What a player to have for Canada. Already ahead of Alaba at the same age.

What a mistake United made. Terrible mistake.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Productivity wise it's close but Robertson beats him in both so far. They have different types of attacking play and it's easy to see why people would be more excited by Davies but consistency is also key in being a world class player and Robertson has proved that. I don't think it will happen and I expect Davies to go on to have a world class career but he could just as easily have a poor 2nd season.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Can he defend? Don't suppose he's been seriously tested defending as a full back in a team that has scored 150 goals this season.
Doubt he’d be able to play in his style for a less dominant team or in the PL.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Think he's been the best left back in the world since December 2019.

Complete player. Attacks, defends, strong, quick. What a player to have for Canada. Already ahead of Alaba at the same age.

What a mistake United made. Terrible mistake.
What did you do ?

Skills

Snitch
There's not a hope any of our managers would ever play him as a FB. They'd have a heart attack.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Can’t see how you can say that. Not been tested at all in this Munich team.
He caused Favre to sub off Sancho after 30mins, back then in November, when nobody here was talking about him

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Davies' attacking attributes make him a huge, huge attacking threat from the left wing. It sort of sucks to see him at left back because he can be a huge attacking threat as a winger. However, his physical attributes make him a great candidate for that left wing back role, and he can become as much of, if not more, of an attacking threat from there as Marcelo and Alaba were.

He and Pulisic are the superstars that North American football badly needed to inspire the future generation of footballers.
Gio Reyna will end up in this tier as well.

Where does Davies play for Canada? I presume much further forward.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Gio Reyna will end up in this tier as well.

Where does Davies play for Canada? I presume much further forward.
He's typically played at any of the wide attacking roles for us, but his most recent appearance for us was at left back in that disastrous 4-1 loss to the U.S. in Orlando.

I'd rather see him higher up the pitch for Canada where he can do damage as we don't have anyone else as much of a threat as he is.

RooneyLegend

He's more a force of nature than a left back. Roberto Carlos is somewhere out there proud of what he's seeing.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
That shake and bake on Semedo was impressive, but what was more impressive was how he effortlessly dribbled past two Barca players before that.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Davies can certainly defend but it's going to be a difficult task for any FB if you play such a role in attack too (you can only be in one place at a time). Few players could balance it as well as someone like Lahm but you'd kinda waste Davies if you hold him back too much.
That's why Alaba plays as CB so he can cover for Davies and why we usually play Pavard as RB to compensate in defense for Davies runs.
Us playing with Davies AND Kimmich as FB is kind of crazy at this level to be honest but it's certainly no coincidence that one FB assisted the goal of another FB today...
I do think we will need to be a lot more careful against City and why I hope that Pavard will be back.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's typically played at any of the wide attacking roles for us, but his most recent appearance for us was at left back in that disastrous 4-1 loss to the U.S. in Orlando.

I'd rather see him higher up the pitch for Canada where he can do damage as we don't have anyone else as much of a threat as he is.
Do Canada have anyone even remotely in his league?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

He’s played LB 6 times and LW 5 times since Herdman took over.

Against everyone except USA and Mexico and perhaps Costa Rica he should be playing LB. Our next LB is garbage, or other LW is Junior Hoillett. You don’t drop Hoillet to play Marcus Godinho.