Alphonso Davies | Verbally agreed to join Real Madrid

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Think it was the Football Ramble I was listening to who was like ''How can you be so good and be Canadian, he can't believe his luck, surely he's got to have a French grandma or something'' :lol:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Think it was the Football Ramble I was listening to who was like ''How can you be so good and be Canadian, he can't believe his luck, surely he's got to have a French grandma or something'' :lol:
Which makes no sense seeing as Canada has already produced multiple Bundesliga winners and French Canadians are complete shite at football.

sourdough satellite

He's also fast as feck, could've been a pretty good 100-200m sprinter had he chosen that as a career path.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He looks like he can be very effective going forward. Great find by Bayern. Cheap transfer. Were we ever in for him as a youth player?
£15M for an 18yo MLS player isn't really cheap and was a bit of a punt in my eyes, has the potential to be massive.

Blackwidow

And if he would not just be such a good football player...

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Wonder whether Alana will come back to LB when Hernandez comes back, or Pavard moves to CB and Ordiozala goes to RB.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
And if he would not just be such a good football player...

The cafe is not a fan of players who are active on social media.

Tbf though, Ronaldo has literally 200m Instagram followers and it’s not like his performance suffers.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Kid is a monster. What impresses me the most is his composure on the defensive end, it belies his age. Never seems flustered, doesnt commit stupid fouls and then he can turn defense into offense instantly. i hope we can keep him for a long time.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Is he already locked in playing for Canada/USA ? Or does he have some african parents/grandparents ? Would be a shame to not experience high-level international football for such a talent.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Kid is a monster. What impresses me the most is his composure on the defensive end, it belies his age. Never seems flustered, doesnt commit stupid fouls and then he can turn defense into offense instantly. i hope we can keep him for a long time.
I was absolutely sceptical with this transfer, thought the gap between MLS and EU top club was to steep for him. Glad to be proven wrong, even more amazing than the quality of his play is the consistency he displays. May become a really big thing :)

@awop he's a canadian citizen, a Liberian by his parents and born on Ghana soil in a refugee camp. 17 CN caps so far, doubt he would change (if that was possible which i dont know)

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Is he already locked in playing for Canada/USA ? Or does he have some african parents/grandparents ? Would be a shame to not experience high-level international football for such a talent.
Wait, is there a possibility that he could play for the US? Thought he was locked for Canada.

Would be great if he could. The US could be building quite a nice team for the future with Pulisic, Reyna and Davies.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He has 17 caps for Canada.

limerickcitykid

No he’s obviously not allowed to change nor does he want to. He loves Canada and is very proud to get to play for us.

Liberia are worse than us anyway and we’ll be going to 2026 World Cup as well.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
He played in the Gold Cup for Canada. As far as I know, he's locked in the Canadian nationalteam for good. Never heard that he has the desire to change it either.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
And Canada and USA clearly aren’t the same place are they? The post you quoted is also monumentally stupid.

Is timo Werner eligible to play for Ireland? Would be great if he did.
Wow, someone's got a little inferiority complex, it seems.

I don't care if he plays for Canada, USA, the Faroe Islands, Narnia or whatever, I just liked the thought of him playing with other highly talented players. The poster said "Canada/USA" so I thought maybe I missed something and Davies actually had ties to the US, maybe his father was from there or he was born there or came there as a refugee before moving to Canada or whatever. Similarly to how many German players have Turkish or Polish roots and choose to play for those teams even when they played for multiple German youth sides. I didn't even know Davies already had caps for Canada because, you know, I don't really follow the Canadian national team that much, shame on me.

Thanks for the polite clarification anyway.

Handré1990

I don't care if he plays for Canada, USA, the Faroe Islands, Narnia or whatever, I just liked the thought of him playing with other highly talented players. The poster said "Canada/USA" so I thought maybe I missed something and Davies actually had ties to the US, maybe his father was from there or he was born there or came there as a refugee before moving to Canada or whatever. Similarly to how many German players have Turkish or Polish roots and choose to play for those teams even when they played for multiple German youth sides. I didn't even know Davies already had caps for Canada because, you know, I don't really follow the Canadian national team that much, shame on me.

:lol:

Looks like a superstar in the making. Great both ways.

limerickcitykid

Wikipedia. Try using it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Wikipedia. Try using it.
My bad, of course I should do the necessary research before posting. Next time I feel like asking a question about a footballer you like, I'll request his CV and birth certificate, study his autobiography (or write it myself if there isn't any available yet) and write a regulatory assessment that demonstrates his legally possible international affiliations. Are you fine with that or is there anything more you want me to assess before you allow me to talk about a Canadian player?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He looks great but it's his first season so it could be that teams are still figuring out his weaknesses. Hakimi looked brilliant last season too but then teams figured out he couldn't defend well and then he became a liability at RB.

He's amazing physically and technically, but whether he has the positional sense to play a full back is yet to be determined (his speed can certainly make up for some lack of defensive awareness though), or whether he can show ability to find teammates in the final third to be a winger.

ColoRed

deep in the west where the sun gets dusty
Supports
Cologne / Manchester

you hit a nerve it seems

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He looks great but it's his first season so it could be that teams are still figuring out his weaknesses. Hakimi looked brilliant last season too but then teams figured out he couldn't defend well and then he became a liability at RB.

He's amazing physically and technically, but whether he has the positional sense to play a full back is yet to be determined (his speed can certainly make up for some lack of defensive awareness though), or whether he can show ability to find teammates in the final third to be a winger.

I think LB is perfect for him. As a fullback, he can make this very long runs and I have the feeling his top speed is his real strength, not his acceleration or agility. The way he just outpaces opponents with immense speed and force reminds me a little bit of Adama Traore. Therefore I think this will remain his go to position in the future. So far I'm also really impressed with his awareness. He's rarely caught out of position and as you say he can make up lots of ground when tracking back, so he's got some leeway here.

For me, he's Bayern's surprise of the season so far. A brillant option completely out of the blue. Thought they'd get into real trouble this season after the injuries in the defense occured since they lack depth there but this guy but Davies definitely prevented more serious damage there.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
And Canada and USA clearly aren’t the same place are they? The post you quoted is also monumentally stupid.

Is timo Werner eligible to play for Ireland? Would be great if he did.
Imagine Werner and Long upfront !
@Zehner Sorry for leading you into a monumentally stupid argument :(

limerickcitykid

My bad, of course I should do the necessary research before posting. Next time I feel like asking a question about a footballer you like, I'll request his CV and birth certificate, study his autobiography (or write it myself if there isn't any available yet) and write a regulatory assessment that demonstrates his legally possible international affiliations. Are you fine with that or is there anything more you want me to assess before you allow me to talk about a Canadian player?
Or you can just look at Wikipedia and see a capped player can’t switch countries, to one he has no link too. We’re on the internet, take a second and use it instead of asking retarded questions.

Hopefully Kai Havertz comes play for Ireland. Would be really cool if he did. Austria are pretty shit too so it’d be cool if David Alaba went and played for England. Do you think he can?

you hit a nerve it seems
Indeed, as I’m perplexed how a grown adult with access to the internet can actually be stupid enough to ask if a player can just change national teams whenever they want to countries they aren’t even from.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Indeed, as I’m perplexed how a grown adult with access to the internet can actually be stupid enough to ask if a player can just change national teams whenever they want to countries they aren’t even from.
Nah, you're not perplexed and you also know that I didn't think he can switch countries (already told you I didn't know he made first team appearances for Canada), you simply went completely over the top with your small time reaction and are too proud to apologize now. In essence a Canadian who's refusing to apologize, what has How I Met Your Mother told me? :(

Imagine Werner and Long upfront !
@Zehner Sorry for leading you into a monumentally stupid argument :(
Werner, Long and Havertz it seems :eek: