Alphonso Davies | Verbally agreed to join Real Madrid

pascell

If you stop being a fan after a bad performance, you're not a fan!

He'll be begging to swap shirts with anyone come full time.
He'll have pestered them all at full time, Caballero, Alonso (although he'll have had to have waited until he was out of his early bath), Christensen and his hero Barkley.

Oh and Emerson.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Has he declared for Canada? Hope not as he'll be chucking his international career down the shitter.
He has 17 caps for Canada. 5 goals, 8 assists.
And as someone mentioned, he is very thankful for Canada saving him and his family

arthurka

I really dislike Bayern but you have to give them credit where's due. Footballing people making footballing decisions. Picking up talents all over not just in Germany. Hasan Salihamidžić finding this kid and bringing him to Bayern with the pitch of him being a generation talent is a work of a man who knows his stuff. Ed Woodward please take note..

Dve

What a player. Ripped Chelsea´s defence apart.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
How dare you insult the great Canadian Football (Soccer?) Team like that ? @limerickcitykid will have a word with you ! :mad:
Not everyone is a traitor like Owen Hargreaves. It is an honor to represent your country in international football, especially Canada will cohost world cup in 2026.

jb8521

It just shows our clubs inadequacy, we also trialed Martinelli and released McNeil in favour of players like Chong. People think we've got problems with recruitment at the first team but the rot goes right down to the youth academy too.
Davies never came on trial, Martinelli was poor when he came on trial & then grew about 6 inches in a year & became a completely different type of player. McNeill was released at 13/14 because he couldn't get into the team well before Chong arrived. The academy recruitment setup is basically a separate department & 1 of the best run department's in the club. Apart from that great post.

Blackwidow

Bayern have Alaba and Davies for LB right now! :lol: I bet Flick is thankful they have CB problems so Alaba can get game time at CB. But once Sule and Hernandez come back, how is he going to manage the both of them.
Knowing Bayern Lord Injury will help with that luxury problem. Right now Alaba is a great help for Phonzy.

TsuWave

He’s a baller. Also, he’s very expressive with his social media. Who would have guessed these things aren’t mutually exclusive eh? Would be hounded for it if he played in the prem

Vanrouge

He never trialled with United. He was training with the national team at the time and the Whitecaps refused him permission to go train with United.
Yes, the way you recall it is closer than my own memory, and a number of factors did indeed complicate it, but you still have to ask the question, given United's apparent interest, how Bayern were then still allowed to sign him. He was an utter no-brainer for any top club, so even if United were stymied by the 'Caps that one time, why didn't they pursue him at the next opportunity. Either way, it looks like incompetence, sadly.

Vanrouge

I watched him as well and even though he played left wingback for them before, He was obviously mostly deployed as a forward to take advantage of his pace and skill, and I didn't think he would be able to make the step up to a top european league. In his early days at Bayern he struggled a bit, and I thought he would be a failed winger, but fair play to them for properly converting him. If he came here, I think he would be struggling like James is now.
He's played left wing back for Canada too, so it's not unprecedented. I have to disagree with you. If Alphonso were just a pace merchant, sure, but he's way too talented a footballer to be compared to Dan James. I sincerely hope the latter improves in the footballing sense, and it pains me to say it, but Fonzie is streets ahead of him right now... and has been for quite some time given his early beginnings in MSL. I'm surprised you thought he would struggle; I don't think I've ever seen such a no-brainer of a move (and it still pains me that it wasn't to United*), and I didn't know of anyone at the time who thought he wouldn't make it in a top European league.

*As a United fan first and a 'Caps fan second, the one consolation of losing a player that good would have been if he'd gone to United, so this transfer was a double whammy for me.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It just shows our clubs inadequacy, we also trialed Martinelli and released McNeil in favour of players like Chong. People think we've got problems with recruitment at the first team but the rot goes right down to the youth academy too.
No, it doesn't as @jb8521 post proved.

Last edited:

Varun

Staff
Davies never came on trial, Martinelli was poor when he came on trial & then grew about 6 inches in a year & became a completely different type of player. McNeill was released at 13/14 because he couldn't get into the team well before Chong arrived. The academy recruitment setup is basically a separate department & 1 of the best run department's in the club. Apart from that great post.
Savage :lol:

roonster09

Scout
Davies was brilliant, everytime he faced any Chelsea player, he went past them without much effort. Reece James didn't get near him all game.

Looks awesome prospect for LB.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He must live in Germany. They don’t have google or Wikipedia there.

Not like Liberia are better anyway.
:lol:

Damn, that did really hurt you, didn't it? I promise to look up everything I can find about the heritage of the next Canadian player I come across, okay?

Won't be easy though. We do have wikipedia after all but it's smaller and only features 2.4 million articles about the topics most relevant to us so I fear there may be none about Canadian football. Maybe you should start a petition. If you want to write articles yourself, I happily translate them for you

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
No, it doesn't as @jb8521 post proved.

It is of course unheard of that a player so young could still grow taller and develop further. It is known that the best scouting departments only look for players who perform well in their teens instead of projecting their peformance as adults. United is absolutely blameless here I tell ya.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It is of course unheard of that a player so young could still grow taller and develop further. It is known that the best scouting departments only look for players who perform well in their teens instead of projecting their peformance as adults. United is absolutely blameless here I tell ya.
He also wasn't that great when he came for his trial. We can't just hoover up every single youth player and keep hold of them all. The ones who perform better when given the chance will obviously be retained. I think our success rate with youth players will be much higher than the majority of other sides in England.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Davies was brilliant, everytime he faced any Chelsea player, he went past them without much effort. Reece James didn't get near him all game.

Looks awesome prospect for LB.
Can he be called a prospect when he's playing better than anyone else in his role?

roonster09

Scout
That's his big weakness though, he's pretty slow despite the UK commentator weirdly claiming to the contrary.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if he was slow or Davies was making him look like slow player.

Btw isn't his best position is in midfield? Remember reading Chelsea fans saying that.

roonster09

Scout
Every club will have so many trialists every year and most of these young players will be on trial at so many different clubs. You can't sign them all. If we go with this logic then there won't be any club who are good with scouting or with good academy recruitment.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
My point is he would be better further forward.

Clearly a good LB now though.
How many world-class wingers, and that's what is required for him to be more valuable than at LB, do you know whose weak foot is only good for standing on it unless their strong foot is in the 0.001% percentile of football players?

I think his left is very, very good but not at that peak level required to make up for that weakness. He's not Arjen Robben who btw had a better right foot than people give him credit for.

LVGSdive

It shows just how important having a good defensive full-back is. James couldn't live with Davies. I'm confident that AWB could have.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Looked a class act last night and still only 19.

We have two defensive minded players playing fullback for us in SHAW n AWB who are both decent players. But most of the top clubs in Europe have it the other way around. They have fullbacks who are basically wingers. It makes them so much more dangerous than us.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah, I wasn't sure if he was slow or Davies was making him look like slow player.

Btw isn't his best position is in midfield? Remember reading Chelsea fans saying that.
He's slow for a footballer full stop, it's a shame because he has pretty much everything else required. It didn't help having Azpi and Christensen covering either because neither are that quick either. I think Tomori would have been better although its not his natural side.

Wigan used him in midfield in the second half of last season and he excelled but I think he needs to get playing thee sooner rather than later if he's going to learn the role properly. I guess that Bayern are James's worst nightmare because they have a rapid full back and winger. He hasn't really been exposed there in the PL so far

Last edited:

Trezeguet17

He is rapid!
He will get caught out of position sometimes but he recovers so fast.
If you want to get past him you have to outdribble him twice.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Bayern wrapped up an extension, new contract until 2025. Brilliant!

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
By far the best North American player atm.