Alphonso Davies | Verbally agreed to join Real Madrid

bsCallout

That attitude is gonna get you far.
Sure is gonna. Not wasting time reading blocks of text that start with anti remarks.

Plenty of great, polite posters here to read instead.

Make it readable.

Make it concise.

Make it a respectful debate.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Apparently one of your scouts, and one with a good resume, scouted and recommended him continuously, but the higher ups wouldn't bite. Thanks.
We hear this news all the time, not worth anything. These scouts also recommend 100s of players who won't be good enough for professional football, once the player makes it big they all can't wait to give interview on how awesome their scouting was.

We hear this news all the time, not worth anything. These scouts also recommend 100s of players who won't be good enough for professional football, once the player makes it big they all can't wait to give interview on how awesome their scouting was.
Exactly this.

I’m sure if I recommended 100 16 year olds, a couple would turn out to be decent.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Do a TLDR next time. Not reading that drivel when you start with 'let me explain to you'.
Then do us all a favour here and stay out of this fecking thread if you're gonna start posting shite like "TAA, a midfielder".

Thanks.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I'm well pleased with whoever in our scouting/coaching department who saw his abilities and decided he'd make a cracking LB.

bsCallout

Then do us all a favour here and stay out of this fecking thread if you're gonna start posting shite like "TAA, a midfielder".

Thanks.
Interesting point to this debate.

To clarify my comments -

A large portion of pundits see him making that move forward into midfield.

Remember Bale was a LB?

TAA was a winger who got put at RB so he could get first team football. He then was rotated with a CB in that RB position when Clyne was injured.

I expect he'll move forward again into midfield and I'd love to see him in a midfield three, similar to Becks at Madrid, for England. We have so many good RB's.

TAA is more similar to Becks and KDB than Neville or AWB.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Interesting point to this debate.

To clarify my comments -

A large portion of pundits see him making that move forward into midfield.

Remember Bale was a LB?

TAA was a winger who got put at RB so he could get first team football. He then was rotated with a CB in that RB position when Clyne was injured.

I expect he'll move forward again into midfield and I'd love to see him in a midfield three, similar to Becks at Madrid, for England. We have so many good RB's.

TAA is more similar to Becks and KDB than Neville or AWB.
He was a central midfielder who switched to RB in youth ffs. I'm not having this debate - you referred to him as a midfielder which was stupid, you don't refer to Bale as a LB or to Gerrard as a RB because they played a few games in those position here or there (and, for TAA, never at senior level).

I have no time for people with their stupid "TLDR" comments. Your post was stupid and you got called out rightfully.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm well pleased with whoever in our scouting/coaching department who saw his abilities and decided he'd make a cracking LB.
Wasn't there a story that Schweinsteiger supposedly contacted Bayern about Davies? I don't remember the details.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
It's not an article either but a place for RESPECTFUL debate.

Any points you have to add to the debate? Or do you prefer ad-hom attacks too.

It's a good topic if nothing else.
Yer having a shocker

bsCallout

He was a central midfielder who switched to RB in youth ffs. I'm not having this debate - you referred to him as a midfielder which was stupid, you don't refer to Bale as a LB or to Gerrard as a RB because they played a few games in those position here or there (and, for TAA, never at senior level).

I have no time for people with their stupid "TLDR" comments. Your post was stupid and you got called out rightfully.
I actually thought he was a CM too but I got this off Wiki -
"It was also during his time in the academy that Alexander-Arnold converted from a winger to a right-back as it was the position that offered him the clearest path to the first team". FFS.

I agree calling him a CM is factually inaccurate at this tims but was made tongue in cheek, as like I said, I expect he'll end up there. Like many players move positions. Style of play he reminds me of a CM, I dont think hes good at defending, personally. Do you?

&

I think under most other managers he would be in midfield playing a KDB role, would you disagree?

Yer having a shocker
Mmm . . Good point. I'll mull it over.

Arka_BleedingRed

Which one?

And what sentiment?

Clarify, please.
The simple words 'Let me explain to you' drove you into the conclusion that my entire post was drivel. Shows how much of a willing conversationalist you are. No clarification or explanation required, please move on.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
It just shows our clubs inadequacy, we also trialed Martinelli and released McNeil in favour of players like Chong. People think we've got problems with recruitment at the first team but the rot goes right down to the youth academy too.

I watched Martinelli in all his 'trial' games...didn't do anything at all. Maybe he is a late developer.

He was nothing special so completely understand why United passed.

We are aren't going to get every decision right...we only have so many places...that's football.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Davies never came on trial, Martinelli was poor when he came on trial & then grew about 6 inches in a year & became a completely different type of player. McNeill was released at 13/14 because he couldn't get into the team well before Chong arrived. The academy recruitment setup is basically a separate department & 1 of the best run department's in the club. Apart from that great post.
Nailed it JB.

LVGSdive

Full Backs like TAA, Davies, Hakimi keep reinforcing the importance of attacking FBs in today's game. It has steadily turned into one of the most valuable position in Football, often used as a peripheral attacker/playmaker in so many teams with huge success. It's incredible that United are still to grasp this concept, we have fans here who keep talking about AWB's defensive tackles like they are equivalent to attacking actions. I'll take an attacking, buccaneering FB with average positioning and defensively but exceptional attacking wise anytime over a exceptional defensive FB with average attacking qualities.
It also shows the importance of defending against these quality attacking full backs. How many times has Wan-Bissaka been humiliated by an opponent like Semedo was last night?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Hate to admit it but he's just brillant. He almost made me enjoy Bayern play, that's how good he is.

Has everything it takes to become the best full back in the last 20 years. If he continues like that, he's better than Alves, Marcelo, Lahm, etc.

Wonder if he remains at LB for his whole career.

bsCallout

The simple words 'Let me explain to you' drove you into the conclusion that my entire post was drivel. Shows how much of a willing conversationalist you are. No clarification or explanation required, please move on.
It was actually the sarcasm of 'great arguement' that did it, it became semantics then, followed by 'let me explain to you'. I didn't get any further than that. So TLDR.

Had I read anymore I'd have seen the 'let me explain to you' was innocent. But the sarcasm just came across as you being a bit of a prick.

So I called the rest of what you said drivel as it was a block of words that I weren't going to take on board after your sarcasm.

I'm sure your points were grand.

I've clarified my CM points above.

Enjoy your day.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Hate to admit it but he's just brillant. He almost made me enjoy Bayern play, that's how good he is.

Has everything it takes to become the best full back in the last 20 years. If he continues like that, he's better than Alves, Marcelo, Lahm, etc.

Doubt he can ever match Lahm, who I consider the best RB of all time. Defensively Davies would have to take many huge steps should he ever want to reach that level. Offensively, he's pretty damn impressive though.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Doubt he can ever match Lahm, who I consider the best RB of all time. Defensively Davies would have to take many huge steps should he ever want to reach that level. Offensively, he's pretty damn impressive though.
Can’t help but agree with this.
let’s see how he does against a better organised team before hailing him as a potential GOAT.
Love him at Utd though

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Time will tell. With his pace he definitely has tools Lahm doesn't have. And he also uses them in the defense. Davies may be easier to beat but you always have to beat him twice. His tracking back is special.

Arka_BleedingRed

It also shows the importance of defending against these quality attacking full backs. How many times has Wan-Bissaka been humiliated by an opponent like Semedo was last night?
I do agree with you on that. But, AWB instead of Semedo, tell me how much of a difference would he have made in the net scoreline? Bayern was better than Barca in every way last night, and Alphonso is simply a better attacking FB than Semedo, who is bang average overall. AWB in his place might have stopped Alphonso in some way, but the rest of the attackers would have taken advantage of the situation. That is where tactics come into play, and Bayern last night were a much better drilled unit.

AshRK

He is attracting a lot of new viewers for football here in canada. Amazing talent.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Time will tell. With his pace he definitely has tools Lahm doesn't have. And he also uses them in the defense. Davies may be easier to beat but you always have to beat him twice. His tracking back is special.

You forget that Lahm had the best and cleanest recovery sliding tackle I have ever seen in a fullback.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You forget that Lahm had the best and cleanest recovery sliding tackle I have ever seen in a fullback.
Seen that trademark tackle so many times, it's impossible to forget :drool: I didn't intend to criticize Lahm. But what Davies did to Semedo last night..

Blood Mage

Difficult to choose between him and Robertson at the moment. I'd say Robertson is slightly better for now but this guy has a higher ceiling.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Oh, right, the CONCACAF League + Gold Cup matches against weaker opposition

I was thinking all about the matches against tougher opponents; I didn't see any issues with him at left back against weaker opposition. As you said, against tougher opposition, however, I'd rather have him at a more attacking role than at left back. Put Samuel Adekugbe at left back, and we'd be fine.
Yea for sure. Against better teams we should really just keep trying what we did in the win over USA. Davies and David up top and let them counter with their pace while everyone else keeps it solid at the back. We’re not strong enough all around to try take a game to USA or Mexico.

It’s just brilliant to have such big talents coming through for Canada. Although deep down I’m also a little disappointed he’ll take Atiba’s mantle as best ever as that was a great bragging point for my school and neighbourhood.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
We don't, but apparently they never bothered to take up the recommendation of the scout. Read about it straight from the article in an interview from that scout.
We did take up the recommendation and tried to get him to come over on a trial and train with us. The Whitecaps rejected it though and then Bayern bought him. We didn’t turn him down.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Also, is it Day-vees or Day-vis? Heard both and it's annoying me.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It was actually the sarcasm of 'great arguement' that did it, it became semantics then, followed by 'let me explain to you'. I didn't get any further than that. So TLDR.

Had I read anymore I'd have seen the 'let me explain to you' was innocent. But the sarcasm just came across as you being a bit of a prick.

So I called the rest of what you said drivel as it was a block of words that I weren't going to take on board after your sarcasm.

I'm sure your points were grand.

I've clarified my CM points above.

Enjoy your day.
Aaaaand he has reached his daily posting limit. :wenger:

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax

I can see him beating the others but Dani Alves is a different case. I haven't held a full back that highly since Ruud Krol in our team from the 70s.