Alphonso Davies | Verbally agreed to join Real Madrid

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
We hear this news all the time, not worth anything. These scouts also recommend 100s of players who won't be good enough for professional football, once the player makes it big they all can't wait to give interview on how awesome their scouting was.
That would be around the time he was making his MLS debut.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Bayern do seem quite good at finding this type of player. Of course its never a guarantee, but when was the last time we picked up an obscure playet and turned them into something near world class? Our transfer policy over the last decade really has been shambolic.

Revan

Assumptionman
Hate this arguement.

Not all teams need to play with the same style. Liverpool play a very defensive midfield 3 to make up for attacking fullbacks. We play an attack minded mid 3 to make up for defensive fullbacks. Both work.

What would be more beneficial is sub options to change depending on the game.

I don't agree that putting a midfielder(TAA) at RB is the best & only worthwhile strategy.
It is not only Liverpool though. Pretty much all great teams had fantastic attacking full backs. Barca at their peak had Alves and Alba, both great going forward. Real had Marcelo who was even better at that, and Carvajal who was decent. Bayern before had Lahm. Even us when we were good had Evra and Rafael.

So yes, having attacking full backs of important for every team regardless of the other positions. Of course you don’t necessarily need someone as attacking as TAA, but you need good attacking full backs. Unfortunately, we don’t have any. Shaw is good at play but has 0 end product, while AWB has just no footballing skills.

RooneyLegend

Difficult to choose between him and Robertson at the moment. I'd say Robertson is slightly better for now but this guy has a higher ceiling.
No way, this boy is a force of nature. Robertson is a very good player, there's a difference.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Our north american scout rated him highly and urged us to buy him according to rumours i`ve read.

From the MEN:
”The scout, who had previously recommended a 14-year-old Neymar to Chelsea as well as teenage forward Radamel Falcao, filed over 40 reports on Davies in his two-and-a-half-years at United, but to no avail. Their loss was very much Bayern's gain.”
Anyone know what happened to this scout? Sounds like he should be running our scouting.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It is not only Liverpool though. Pretty much all great teams had fantastic attacking full backs. Barca at their peak had Alves and Alba, both great going forward. Real had Marcelo who was even better at that, and Carvajal who was decent. Bayern before had Lahm. Even us when we were good had Evra and Rafael.

So yes, having attacking full backs of important for every team regardless of the other positions. Of course you don’t necessarily need someone as attacking as TAA, but you need good attacking full backs. Unfortunately, we don’t have any. Shaw is good at play but has 0 end product, while AWB has just no footballing skills.
City don't though. Guardiola's Bayern used the wingbacks as extra central midfielders, too

That poster is right when they say how good you need your WBs to be in attack depends on how your team is built and plays

The idea that TAA will be moved into midfield is nonsense on the other hand. Only way that happens is if his team gets a player who's just as good or better on his flank

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It’s just brilliant to have such big talents coming through for Canada. Although deep down I’m also a little disappointed he’ll take Atiba’s mantle as best ever as that was a great bragging point for my school and neighbourhood.
For sure. Regarding Atiba specifically, my worry is that Davies and David both would make Canadians forget about how good Atiba was. He really was a classy midfielder who I enjoyed watching, and I hope that Canada keeps him up there as one of our best players ever.

ghagua

We did take up the recommendation and tried to get him to come over on a trial and train with us. The Whitecaps rejected it though and then Bayern bought him. We didn’t turn him down.
Surprisingly how Bayern managed to do that, sign the player when we could not.

Jibbs

Surprisingly how Bayern managed to do that, sign the player when we could not.
We usually sign the players we desperately need one or couple of windows late. Finding and developing a hidden gem is beyond us post Sir Alex.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Ok let's take this logically:

1. Our scouts recommended Davies to the staff in Manchester
2. The staff at Carrington offered him a trial
3. The player was away on international duty and we had to work/communicate through his agents who then turned down the trial.
4. Bayern Munich offered him a trial
5. He was keen to go to Germany and sign for Bayern

So I'm not sure what the issue is. Our scouts did their job. Our coaching team did their job.

Maybe...just maybe the agent and player had some say in all of this? Maybe the player just didn't fancy England. Maybe he is a Bayern fan. Who knows.

Whenever a player rejects United, it doesn't necessarily mean we failed in any way.

Suedesi

Every player performs better in a specific system. I’ve followed Robertson since he was at Dundee United and he plays exactly as he does now as he did then (just better). People on here were worried that Sane would nullify Davies because of the way Bayern play right now which gives him so much space on that left side + people have also spoken of how their defence is set up to cover for his marauding runs so Davies is helped by a system too.

In terms of athleticism + dominant + manipulation - he’s quicker and more skilful but I wouldn’t say he’s stronger or has more stamina than Robertson. Stamina, deceiving strength and determination are some of Robertson’s biggest strengths. He’s also more tactically astute than Davies right now. The type of game Robertson plays doesn’t mean he has to “dominate” in the way that Davies does by taking people on with skill and dribbling but Davies is clearly better than him at that which is due to his time as a LW.

+ the only one using hyperbole and saying stuff like prime Maldini / Roberto Carlos is you. Neither Robertson or Davies are near that level yet, if at all. I’m just trying to look at this from a more balanced view point and take many factors into consideration.

I think Robertson is a massive prick and he plays for Liverpool so as an Everton fan I’d only be defending him as such if I truly believed it!
Fair enough - and let's not discuss Robertson-the-prick any longer on this thread.

Suedesi

3. The player was away on international duty and we had to work/communicate through his agents who then turned down the trial.

So I'm not sure what the issue is. Our scouts did their job. Our coaching team did their job.

Maybe...just maybe the agent and player had some say in all of this? Maybe the player just didn't fancy England. Maybe he is a Bayern fan. Who knows.

Whenever a player rejects United, it doesn't necessarily mean we failed in any way.
Yeah, it seems more a matter of unfortunate circumstance than someone at the club cocking up, and I'm ok with that.

sp_107

As per our American chief scout, He recommended him to us a long time before he went on international duty and our guys took a long time to offer Alphonso a trial and by the time we showed our interest he was on international duty and already Bayern approached him few times.

I say if we had a proper football person calling these shots, we would have got both Haaland and Alphonso who would have improved us a lot. People can say what ever they want but if Ed showed some flexibility we could have got Haaland. After losing Haaland Ed didnt put 40M asking price on Lyons Dembele and I feel that is also not a wise descision.

Now he is doing same mistakes with Sancho too.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty

Can be also the work permit thingy in UK.

Red Stone

Wasn't even conceived when Ole poked the ball into the net in Barcelona, and now he's played in and won a final himself.

Feel old yet?

:(

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
The CL final was possibly the worst game he had for us but he still didn't feel like a real liability. The future is very bright.

Blackwidow

Will probably give you smiles... She is a canadian footballer playing for PSG.

DDROGBA

The CL final was possibly the worst game he had for us but he still didn't feel like a real liability. The future is very bright.
Recovered well after the nut megging and didn’t let the yellow card phase him at all.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Dominating for canada. How's he been for Bayern?
He's an established player and regular starter. Better offensively than defensively, but his ridiculous speed also helps in defense when positioning or anticipation weren't quite right. Still very happy we got him :)

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He's an established player and regular starter. Better offensively than defensively, but his ridiculous speed also helps in defense when positioning or anticipation weren't quite right. Still very happy we got him :)
I love to see when the opposition breaks through, runs at full speed and Davies catches up with ease. Always looks incredibly funny.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Played up front for canada and won the game. We were missing some CFs this game so Davies and Jonathan David got the starts up front.

He's had games before as a striker. Looks like it will be a more common occurrence.

Vanrouge

I've been watching football for freaking ever, and I thought I'd seen it all, but I'm still buzzing over that goal last night. His absolute certainty he'd reach that ball and take it from the defender and that it wouldn't cross the line was breathtaking. The finish was tidy, but it was the whole thing. From his position pretty much at right back, that almost supernatural sprint over eighty yards, the way he took it past the defender on the touchline, to the goal itself, all of it.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I've been watching football for freaking ever, and I thought I'd seen it all, but I'm still buzzing over that goal last night. His absolute certainty he'd reach that ball and take it from the defender and that it wouldn't cross the line was breathtaking. The finish was tidy, but it was the whole thing. From his position pretty much at right back, that almost supernatural sprint over eighty yards, the way he took it past the defender on the touchline, to the goal itself, all of it.
It was an incredible to see in the stadium. No one in the crowd thought that anyone would reach the ball, but a few of us noticed Davies sprinting for it, and that's when the crowd noise started to swell. It's probably one of the best sporting things that I've ever seen live.

Vanrouge

It was an incredible to see in the stadium. No one in the crowd thought that anyone would reach the ball, but a few of us noticed Davies sprinting for it, and that's when the crowd noise started to swell. It's probably one of the best sporting things that I've ever seen live.
I'm envious. Even on TV, I noticed him start out, and I thought, What are you doing? You'll never get there! This after watching him in his Whitecaps years; I should've known better. It was an unforgettable moment.

Interval

Level
Too green to make it yet. We need to wait until he's ripe.

Even then, mangoes typically don't make good full backs. They're too sweet.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The editing is horrendous, I don't think that they've showed the whole goal uninterrupted once! That sprint looks absolutely insane, deserves to be mentioned among the very best speed-based goals like Bale vs Barca & Blokhin vs Bayern.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
The editing is horrendous, I don't think that they've showed the whole goal uninterrupted once! That sprint looks absolutely insane, deserves to be mentioned among the very best speed-based goals like Bale vs Barca & Blokhin vs Bayern.
I was absolutely outraged about that shitty video. Just awful editing, it's really one of the worst football videos I've ever seen.

Regarding the goal, very impressive sprint. His pace is world class and other parts of his skillset are international class. All things considered, he's already an elite player at the age of 20 (21 in november), but still has room for improvement. One of the most exciting young players out there for sure.