Television Altered Carbon

Purefoy's pole?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oo0AahCantona

I completely lost interest which was a shame because it was visually stunning with that blade runner type vibe.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
Still going, just finished the 3rd episode. I actually think this series pretty damn good. I am watching on a very large screen with a good sound system, which I think makes a difference.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Signed up to Netflix recently with the intention of watching this but I've heard mixed things about it. In fact, most of the things I've read have been negative. Kinda put me off.

Love the cyberpunk setting though. Is it worth a go?

Runner

I really really liked it. As someone who writes sci-fi as a hobby there really isn't that much successful mainstream cyberpunk sci-fi. This hit all the right notes for me.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Liked the series but the sleeping beauty bit, hero goes off in search of female who needs saving, right at the end was a major misstep. The Agatha Christie style reveal was also lazy. Basically the first 9 episodes were great but the tenth blew all that good work.

Nucks

RT History Department
Great series. Looking forward to season 2.

Loublaze

ATLien
Ortega get's better as the show progress, also that body :drool:

I binged the whole series in one go yesterday, something which I normally don't do.

I actually think it is better than 'The Expanse', even though the latter has higher production values and probably is the better scifi it still has horrible pacing.

Can't wait for season two, will read all the Kovacs books now.
The production values on the Expanse are really high, especially for a syfy network production (they've coughed up the dough on this one) but Altered Carbon has higher PVs, comparable to Westworld and GoT

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Liked the series but the sleeping beauty bit, hero goes off in search of female who needs saving, right at the end was a major misstep. The Agatha Christie style reveal was also lazy. Basically the first 9 episodes were great but the tenth blew all that good work.
I sorta agree with this mainly because

the whole sister arc made little sense to me. I didn't buy her motivation to keep her brother alive even when he was openly against her. It would served the show better if they had turned her completely against her brother too at some point rather play out that silly ending.

Loublaze

ATLien
Its definitely a high budget show. Nearly movie quality special effects and production.
Indeed. Not only that, its also digitally shot in 6.5k and rendered in 4k which is uncommon for productions with VFX. Its very time consuming, almost four times the usual time it would take to render in 2k. The Expanse is rendered in 2k and upgraded to HDR and the editing for me in general is not as crisp as it should be. I also don't like the blue filter they have which is common with many syfy productions. Altered Carbon blows it away but they are both beautifully shot.

Dan

Indeed. Not only that, its also digitally shot in 6.5k and rendered in 4k which is uncommon for productions with VFX. Its very time consuming, almost four times the usual time it would take to render in 2k. The Expanse is rendered in 2k and upgraded to HDR and the editing for me in general is not as crisp as it should be. I also don't like the blue filter they have which is common with many syfy productions. Altered Carbon blows it away but they are both beautifully shot.
I read that last week that it was shot in 5K.

https://codex.online/casestudies/Altered-Carbon-Tests-the-Limits-of-Television-Image-Quality

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
Finished season one, binge watching is addictive. I enjoyed it from start to finish. I was watching the first seven episodes in our media room which is only 1080p. Watched the final three episodes in the family room that has a 4k TV. OMG the picture quality, special effects and product was amazing in 4k.

Loublaze

ATLien
I think season two will be even better. Gotta love what Netflix is doing. I don't think this show would've been given the green light by HBO, Starz or Showtime. Amazon prime or Hulu even. The budget is rumored to be about 7M per episode.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think season two will be even better. Gotta love what Netflix is doing. I don't think this show would've been given the green light by HBO, Starz or Showtime. Amazon prime or Hulu even. The budget is rumored to be about 7M per episode.
That's lower than plenty of HBO shows.

Loublaze

ATLien
That's lower than plenty of HBO shows.
Its a conservative number indeed and I think the production costs are actually much higher than that. Definitely higher than 'the Expanse'. I think the AC budget is probably closer to what Netflix spent on Marco Polo, rumored to be 200M for the two seasons. These budgets are closely guarded secrets its mostly rough estimates.

Rooney1987

It was ok, just didn't like any of the actors playing the main characters. Best actor in the show plays a hotel.

Bobski

Ok, but didn't quite reach the heights I hoped for. To be fair it has been a few years since i read the book but I think they missed some of the nuance. Inevitable really, don't have time for all those internal monologues that contribute so much to world building. Always a problem with TV that, Game of Thrones struggles with that problem, so much of the great stuff in the books is quiet ruminations from a POV character, impossible to replicate.

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
I watched the whole season yesterday and thought it was absolutely fantastic.

Simbo

Just finished, really enjoyed it. Decent story, good characters, good production value. Just my kind of sci-fi nonsense.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Was tough to get through the first couple of episodes. Kept falling asleep, was just not very gripping. But I kept going back and the middle section of episodes through 7 or 8 were very good. Especially the envoy focused episode.

Then the final two episodes, particularly the finale, were just complete and utter shite. Laughably bad. Which was a huge shame because I was looking forward to another season a couple of episodes before. The last episode was like a fricking lunch time soap opera ffs, but with lots and lots of violence.

And Ortega is the worst TV character of all time. Every time she enters the frame you just pray someone is going to skull feck her stack.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Was tough to get through the first couple of episodes. Kept falling asleep, was just not very gripping. But I kept going back and the middle section of episodes through 7 or 8 were very good. Especially the envoy focused episode.

Then the final two episodes, particularly the finale, were just complete and utter shite. Laughably bad. Which was a huge shame because I was looking forward to another season a couple of episodes before. The last episode was like a fricking lunch time soap opera ffs, but with lots and lots of violence.

And Ortega is the worst TV character of all time. Every time she enters the frame you just pray someone is going to skull feck her stack.
I was just praying she would get naked

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I am on episode 5. Loving it so far.

Story is decently good for what it wants to be. Cyberpunk noir. And it captures the vibe of that genre to perfection. I can put up with a lot thanks to that.

Agree that Ortega is kinda one dimensional. The reet are good.

Seveneric

The show built an amazing world, but forgot to accompany it with a story. Only thing that kept me going were the stunning visuals. I also found the killer (though not the circumstances leading to it) very predictable too.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I thought it started well enough but the ending was absolutely terrible.

Like really, really bad.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I am on episode 5. Loving it so far.

Story is decently good for what it wants to be. Cyberpunk noir. And it captures the vibe of that genre to perfection. I can put up with a lot thanks to that.

Agree that Ortega is kinda one dimensional. The reet are good.
Looked pretty damn three dimensional to me :drool:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Thin story, but passable. Stunning visuals (esp if you have a Dolby Vision 4k TV)