Alternatives for Frenkie De Jong

tidraKS

Bissouma, who I think is a better player anyway. Better tackler, just as good on the ball.

A legal issue as has been mentioned before but looks like it's not a big deal given he's no longer on bail.

Tbh regardless of FDJ we need a DM, so signing Bissouma + De jong or say Bissouma + Neves would be a better way to go. You could probably get the latter two for around 80m vs 70m for De Jong alone. Both can sort of interchange in the DM role as both also like to get forward.
Bissouma is a better player than FDJ? :lol: Another really really overrated player. We saw him the last time in Old Trafford when it was his fault Brighton lost the game.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
We don't need alternatives, he's coming.

saivet

Bissouma, who I think is a better player anyway. Better tackler, just as good on the ball.

A legal issue as has been mentioned before but looks like it's not a big deal given he's no longer on bail.

Tbh regardless of FDJ we need a DM, so signing Bissouma + De jong or say Bissouma + Neves would be a better way to go. You could probably get the latter two for around 80m vs 70m for De Jong alone. Both can sort of interchange in the DM role as both also like to get forward.
I think Bissouma is a decent player but to suggest he's just as good on the ball as De Jong seems crazy to me.

marktan

Bissouma is a better player than FDJ? :lol: Another really really overrated player. We saw him the last time in Old Trafford when it was his fault Brighton lost the game.
How many times have you watched FDJ play live and how many times have you watched Bissouma?

I've watched Bissouma live a lot and rate him highly. FDJ not as much so maybe I'm underrating him. How many times have you seen him?

The thing with reactions like yours is people go by reputation rather than having extensively watched the player. I got loads of the same reactions when I suggested Sancho wasn't worth the fee because he was slow, struggled to beat his man, and scored goals in the Bundesliga because of the poor defensive space. Well turns out actually watching a player gives you a better opinion than just jumping onto the bandwagon of whatever flavour of the month we're linked with.

Remember the geese

How many times have you watched FDJ play live and how many times have you watched Bissouma?

I've watched Bissouma live a lot and rate him highly. FDJ not as much so maybe I'm underrating him. How many times have you seen him?

The thing with reactions like yours is people go by reputation rather than having extensively watched the player. I got loads of the same reactions when I suggested Sancho wasn't worth the fee because he was slow, struggled to beat his man, and scored goals in the Bundesliga because of the poor defensive space. Well turns out actually watching a player gives you a better opinion than just jumping onto the bandwagon of whatever flavour of the month we're linked with.
You're still wrong about Sancho by the way. Also, De Jong is a completely different level of talent to Bissouma. If I'm right, aren't you the chap who had an obsession with Saint-Maximin?

Yagami

Good post resistant
There are only two alternatives of similar style and quality to Frenkie de Jong.

Verratti, which is pointless to think about.

Arthur Melo, who is 99% leaving Juventus and his most likely destination is England with Arsenal looking front runners. We should be all over him.

Oranges038

I think Juve or City, maybe even Liverpool would be good alternatives for him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think we need two midfielders, but the main type of midfielder I want us to sign is one who embodies the same sort of strengths De Jong has. That is: good short passing game, floating about midfield giving and going to retain possession. Doesn't shit himself under pressure, and has a bit of mobility in his legs. Ability to carry the ball also strongly desirable. Someone who ticks those boxes should be someone we approach.

Shouts like Tielemans and Neves fall a little short for me. Both would obviously get into our midfield right now, but I think the lack of mobility (and defensive ability in the former) as well as the fact that both are more longer pass merchants isn't my preference. I think Neves could probably play alongside De Jong, mind.

tidraKS

I've watched FDJ the whole season, because I enjoy watching Barcelona. I can't say I watched Bissouma a lot, but whenever I watched him, he seemed as a bad version of Pogba. I watched FDJ also playing for Netherlands, which doesn't have a great team, but he always excelled there.

Regarding Sancho, I've always had my reservations on him, but he looks like he's going to do very fine in the next seasons if he continues to progress like he did in the last months before he got injured.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Neves is not good enough without the ball: his screening is not very efficient. Wolves actually moved Moutinho to a more defensive position this season due to age and also because Neves is not reliable as the anchor.

Kag

So Neves, who is terribly slow, is going to play in a high block where United tries to dominate the game and be on the front foot? United won't sign low block Neves.
I didn’t say he was perfect. He can pass the ball, which is more that can be said for the central midfielders currently at the club.

dutchred

I didn’t say he was perfect. He can pass the ball, which is more that can be said for the central midfielders currently at the club.
I think you mean currently playing, both Garner and Levitt are excellent passers

Kag

I think you mean currently playing, both Garner and Levitt are excellent passers
Well, yes, obviously. But Garner and Levitt aren’t serious contenders to be starting matches in midfield for us come September. If they are, then, well, we’re fecked.

There’s also more to passing than aesthetics. It’s speed of thought. It’s why Pereira is a dreadful Premier League player in spite of being able to pick out all kinds of passes as a youth player. Remains to be seen if Garner, in particular, transitions to this level.

Kag

For what it’s worth, I actually think we need De Jong and a runner. A Kante type of player who is not necessarily an out and out defensive midfielder, but who knows where to be, where to intercept, while also being able to press and harry the opposition around the pitch. Bissouma, who has been mentioned, would probably pair up quite well (if he wasn’t - allegedly - one of those).

dutchred

Well, yes, obviously. But Garner and Levitt aren’t serious contenders to be starting matches in midfield for us come September. If they are, then, well, we’re fecked.

There’s also more to passing than aesthetics. It’s speed of thought. It’s why Pereira is a dreadful Premier League player in spite of being able to pick out all kinds of passes as a youth player. Remains to be seen if Garner, in particular, transitions to this level.
You may be right but I continue to say that until we try them we'll never know. If we get Frenkie either of them could provide a partner for him in a double pivot

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I don't know why you are victory lapping with Sancho, he will be a star for us under Ten Hag. If you're argument for not wanting us to sign Sancho was "because he won't excel under Ole and reach the same level in an individualistic based system", then sure... But me along with many others knew there wasn't much hope in Ole staying for long and our long term goal is moving away from that style, to one where players like Sancho excel more than anyone. Which is why I wanted him. He is a quality player and he'll show it now that we have Ten Hag in, have 0 doubt.

Bissouma is good but obviously has off the field issues as the reason why nobody is touching him. De Jong? He has incredibly rare talent that only a handful of midfielders in Europe have, and he's the type of player that we've been crying out for since Scholes retired.

Abraxas

I think Arthur and Fabian Ruiz are a couple that come to mind if we need alternatives that play in a similar style. Half these names like Bissouma are nothing like De Jong. You have to find somebody that's a consistent passer and crucial to the build up for it to be an alternative if the manager is set on that type. Otherwise they're a second signing in midfield.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
For what it’s worth, I actually think we need De Jong and a runner. A Kante type of player who is not necessarily an out and out defensive midfielder, but who knows where to be, where to intercept, while also being able to press and harry the opposition around the pitch. Bissouma, who has been mentioned, would probably pair up quite well (if he wasn’t - allegedly - one of those).
This is why we were being linked with Kante. I personally would take him even as a short term solution (2 years). If we can get 35 to 40 games a season out of him, Mcsauce and more likely Fred can disputise adequately for the rest.
I also think neves would make a terrible pairing with De Jong but may be a decent but not great alternative.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm concerned why Barcelona are selling De Jong. There have been a few Dutch players who looked like superstars and failed spectacularly in the PL(we have one of them already) and the fact that Barcelona are happy to sell him (I don't buy their finances bit, they are signing players left right and center and are looking at Bernardo Silva as well who plays CM).

So who are the alternatives? Tchouameni is off to Real Madrid or PSG. I'm not sure if Bissouma is creative or good enough for our problem. Am I living under a bridge and not looking at news sources or are we only looking at De Jong.
There is no other choice then.

marktan

I don't know why you are victory lapping with Sancho, he will be a star for us under Ten Hag. If you're argument for not wanting us to sign Sancho was "because he won't excel under Ole and reach the same level in an individualistic based system", then sure... But me along with many others knew there wasn't much hope in Ole staying for long and our long term goal is moving away from that style, to one where players like Sancho excel more than anyone. Which is why I wanted him. He is a quality player and he'll show it now that we have Ten Hag in, have 0 doubt.

Bissouma is good but obviously has off the field issues as the reason why nobody is touching him. De Jong? He has incredibly rare talent that only a handful of midfielders in Europe have, and he's the type of player that we've been crying out for since Scholes retired.
It's just an example, no need to make it in another debate.

De Jong I haven't seen as much as I did Sancho so I'll reserve judgment. As per the thread I'd probably prefer 3 £40m players vs FDJ + one other though given that we need quite a lot of positions filled in our squad.

Also Bissouma is no longer on Bail.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

You were wrong about Sancho and you’ll be wrong about De Jong too. To suggest Bissouma is better on the ball is genuinely one of the worst takes ive seen, it’s clear you’ve never seen De Jong play.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It's just an example, no need to make it in another debate.

De Jong I haven't seen as much as I did Sancho so I'll reserve judgment. As per the thread I'd probably prefer 3 £40m players vs FDJ + one other though given that we need quite a lot of positions filled in our squad.

Also Bissouma is no longer on Bail.
Name that three 40m players who would be a fit with ETH style of play.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think Arthur and Fabian Ruiz are a couple that come to mind if we need alternatives that play in a similar style. Half these names like Bissouma are nothing like De Jong. You have to find somebody that's a consistent passer and crucial to the build up for it to be an alternative if the manager is set on that type. Otherwise they're a second signing in midfield.
Yep I think as soon as you see people suggest players like Bissouma as an alternative it’s clear they don’t have a clue.

TheRedHearted

I'm concerned why Barcelona are selling De Jong. There have been a few Dutch players who looked like superstars and failed spectacularly in the PL(we have one of them already) and the fact that Barcelona are happy to sell him (I don't buy their finances bit, they are signing players left right and center and are looking at Bernardo Silva as well who plays CM).

So who are the alternatives? Tchouameni is off to Real Madrid or PSG. I'm not sure if Bissouma is creative or good enough for our problem. Am I living under a bridge and not looking at news sources or are we only looking at De Jong.
De Jong, Frankie

marktan

You were wrong about Sancho and you’ll be wrong about De Jong too. To suggest Bissouma is better on the ball is genuinely one of the worst takes ive seen, it’s clear you’ve never seen De Jong play.
Thanks for your expert opinion that offers nothing to the thread. I said Bissouma was as good on the ball, not better, if you read my post. And no, I was right on Sancho. Never a £75m player. It's ludicrous to me that people can have watched the season he's just had and still have their head in the clouds.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It would be interesting to look back over all the big name signings of the last decade and see how many posters at the time simply would not entertain the idea that those players might not be the talent that they are portrayed as. It’s ridiculous, and more importantly no-one seems to learn from it.

Bebe

I've only watched him about five times in the last two seasons, but Koopmeiners has looked an absolute stand-out every time. Very much the type of player I feel we need. Good passer who is a natural playmaker, good physically, leadership ability...I'd say he's more like De Jong than most of the players people have mentioned in here.

The fact he doesn't seem to be linked to any top teams makes me think maybe I've just happened to catch him on his really good days though. Atalanta bought him for only €12m last season, so not sure what he'd cost now.

In terms of who the club are actually linked to, Neves seems a possibility.
Agreed. I really wish we'd look for players like this rather than chasing the shiniest toy on the market.

Charles Miller

They want to sell him for two reasons. First they need money. Also, i suspect Xavi is part of that group within the Barcelona world that would prefer a core of spanish players. Same reason they were ready to pay so much for Ferran Torres

GreatDane

Tielemans or maybe Christian Nørgaard. But I would prefer De Jong.

I like Nørgaard`s stats:
https://one-versus-one.com/en/players/Christian-Norgaard
Even as a dane, it's a no thanks to Nørgaard from me. He does his thing decently enough but he's really not the standard we need.
He can't even get into our national side as a starter and even if it's pretty decent we are not - that - spoiled for players in that position.

ROFLUTION

Milinkovic Savic? Had a good season no? Tielemans is a good shout too. Underrated player.

Nørgaard is not our level. Good fit for Brentford though

Kellyiom

You couldn’t be more wrong. They are in the shit. They’re having weddings at their ground now amongst other things. They are literally trying everything they can think off. Surprised they haven’t had a yard sale yet. Fans would go mad for all the old tat lying around
Really? I'm not doubting you BTW, but that bit about weddings just cracked me up. It sounds like a reckoning at last. Similar to the gags about the noodles on our preseason tour of Asia being sponsored by Bulalo Flavours or whatever.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Really? I'm not doubting you BTW, but that bit about weddings just cracked me up. It sounds like a reckoning at last. Similar to the gags about the noodles on our preseason tour of Asia being sponsored by Bulalo Flavours or whatever.
Yeah you can get married there and they're hosting a thing where fans can pay a certain amount of money during a month long period and play a match at the Nou Camp. They're literally desperate for every penny.

ti vu

I've only watched him about five times in the last two seasons, but Koopmeiners has looked an absolute stand-out every time. Very much the type of player I feel we need. Good passer who is a natural playmaker, good physically, leadership ability...I'd say he's more like De Jong than most of the players people have mentioned in here.

The fact he doesn't seem to be linked to any top teams makes me think maybe I've just happened to catch him on his really good days though. Atalanta bought him for only €12m last season, so not sure what he'd cost now.

In terms of who the club are actually linked to, Neves seems a possibility.
He somehow looks like a left footed Beckham in CM position for me. Interesting player, but with the impression of Beckham, I think he's good, but he's not suitable for the role to hold our midfield together. FdJ maybe the new Redondo for us, or we should look at the new Makelele if you know what I meant.

Agreed. I really wish we'd look for players like this rather than chasing the shiniest toy on the market.
Is this a joke? You bolded the part where it said 5 times in 2 seasons...

It's like saying rather hipster choice than known quality. FdJ is not just a shiny name. He makes sense because ETH, our new manager worked with him before, and FdJ is the nucleus of this Netherland midfield and makes it competitive. Otherwise, without him, it maybe as underwhelming as ours.