Alternatives for Frenkie De Jong

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'm concerned why Barcelona are selling De Jong. There have been a few Dutch players who looked like superstars and failed spectacularly in the PL(we have one of them already) and the fact that Barcelona are happy to sell him (I don't buy their finances bit, they are signing players left right and center and are looking at Bernardo Silva as well who plays CM).

So who are the alternatives? Tchouameni is off to Real Madrid or PSG. I'm not sure if Bissouma is creative or good enough for our problem. Am I living under a bridge and not looking at news sources or are we only looking at De Jong.
Because they need money, and I think the main reason is because they already have some of the very best young talented midfielders in the game, in Pedri and Gavi, and also potential good midfielder such as Nico. They can afford to sell De Jong and play Pedri+Gavi+Busquets midfield, with Nico as backup, and with no real drop of quality.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Really? I'm not doubting you BTW, but that bit about weddings just cracked me up. It sounds like a reckoning at last. Similar to the gags about the noodles on our preseason tour of Asia being sponsored by Bulalo Flavours or whatever.
Not only that you can pay to play on their pitch!

https://www.pulse.ng/sports/footbal...-and-events-at-starting-prices-of/e4dtvcj.amp

Spanish newspaper El Chiringuito, reports that football fans can now hire out the Barca pitch between June 6 to June 11 for a bargain fee of N133,000 [€300] per player for 60-minute exhibition matches and friendlies alike.
The Blaugrana in a bid to raise funds for the club have now announced that couples can rent out the stadium for their special day, with different packages available.
The cheapest option, which would be in the ‘Foundation Lounge’, costs about N711,000 [€1600] and would be best suited for a small wedding with about 25 to 50 people attending.
However, the most expensive is the ‘Grandstand hall’, which comes with several exits for views of the pitch., with a seating capacity of between 300 and 1000 people, this space is available for N5,999,265 [€13,500].
Skint

Bebe

He somehow looks like a left footed Beckham in CM position for me. Interesting player, but with the impression of Beckham, I think he's good, but he's not suitable for the role to hold our midfield together. FdJ maybe the new Redondo for us, or we should look at the new Makelele if you know what I meant.

Is this a joke? You bolded the part where it said 5 times in 2 seasons...

It's like saying rather hipster choice than known quality. FdJ is not just a shiny name. He makes sense because ETH, our new manager worked with him before, and FdJ is the nucleus of this Netherland midfield and makes it competitive. Otherwise, without him, it maybe as underwhelming as ours.
I wasn't joking or making a comment about how much MadDogg had watched him. I was agreeing with the part about Koopmeiners looking like a stand out whenever he's on the pitch. Nor am I saying FdJ doesn't make sense or couldn't do the job. He clearly appears to be the stand out candidate. With the shiny toy comment I was referring to United's endless pursuit of top players already playing at top clubs (see the Sneijder, Vidal, Ramos, Fabregas sagas) and how I'd rather us go for a slightly less blockbuster move. Especially since it seems like FdJ has no desire to play for United.

In short, I'd love FdJ but I really hope we aren't narrowing our options down to just him.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Pogba

But it's 100% finances. Forget the debt and any sort of transfer fee, it's the wages they need to get off the books - and Gavi, Pedri, Nico and Puig combined (are on less than De Jong). They're not signing players left right and center at all. They can't even register Kessie yet.

Love reading this, offering stupid wages above their means biting Barcelona and Juventus in the backside. Woodward's prophecy is coming true! :devil:. And if Barcelona take out further loans then they will be sitting on close to €2Bn in debt.. Why should they be allowed to continue trade if their debt is so high that they can't afford to pay them back and continue to increase debt.. They should have a fire sale and sell all their jewels like Gavi and Pedri :angel:

Strootman's Finger

I disagree with almost everything said in the OP, but my alternative is Konrad Laimer of RB Leipzig. Although I would imagine if we wanted him we would have waited to sack Rangnick, but we did apparently have scouts at the last Austria game.

jesperjaap

Enzo Fernandez. Younger, cheaper, easier to obtain.
Never seen him and maybe that is why he seems the best fit to me. DeJOng is the best of his type out there I believe.

People mentioning Noorgard must be on something, several levels below, decent player but at the right level now if you ask me.

Bissouma I like but totally different player, wouldn tmind him nex to DeJong actually.

I think the closest available fit would be Neves and slightly further forward, Tielmans, personally dont think either transform us and are levels below again.

But back to Fernadez, only seen youtube *sigh* and read about him....but he seems very highly rated, versatile and the big thing for me is the release clause. Mad to say about a plyer never even watched, but that release clause and what I have read about him kind of tells me we should be in fo rhim as a midfield signing regardless of whether or not we sign DeJOng.

Much closer to home, I feel Hannibal actually has a lot of good attributes to play a similar role to DeJong, but the temperament playing there is a concern currently

Bojan Djordjic

Afraid to say this but has anyone mentioned Guendouzi? The guy wasn't great at Arsenal but he seems to have had a massive leap since then and comes up at the far right of every progression scatterplot. He's excellent at both passing and particularly carrying forward. Also chips in with a healthy amount of goals and assists.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
In terms of what they can offer, but not necessarily positionally, I think Jacob Ramsey is another in the rare breed of midfielders that can pass well and carry the ball well. He's one too keep an eye on but is probably less obtainable than FdJ.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Afraid to say this but has anyone mentioned Guendouzi? The guy wasn't great at Arsenal but he seems to have had a massive leap since then and comes up at the far right of every progression scatterplot. He's excellent at both passing and particularly carrying forward. Also chips in with a healthy amount of goals and assists.
I rated him at Arsenal and actually had an argument with one of their supporters on here where I said he's one of their better players potentially :lol: Was surprised they let him go, though if I remember there were other issues. I wouldn't have minded if we took a punt at the time.

Interesting to hear he's doing well in France.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I rated him at Arsenal and actually had an argument with one of their supporters on here where I said he's one of their better players potentially :lol: Was surprised they let him go, though if I remember there were other issues. I wouldn't have minded if we took a punt at the time.

Yeah I always thought he looked a talent. Seemed to be a proper little shit but Arsenal often had that effect on young players, he might have grown up from the experience by now.

Pronewbie

Peep
There are only two alternatives of similar style and quality to Frenkie de Jong.

Verratti, which is pointless to think about.

Arthur Melo, who is 99% leaving Juventus and his most likely destination is England with Arsenal looking front runners. We should be all over him.
FDJ was an upgrade over him at Barca. Was a huge talent but has a stinking attitude, which we do not need.

Foxbatt

Yeah I always thought he looked a talent. Seemed to be a proper little shit but Arsenal often had that effect on young players, he might have grown up from the experience by now.
We need a proper little shit who can play football.

redIndianDevil

It's like saying rather hipster choice than known quality. FdJ is not just a shiny name. He makes sense because ETH, our new manager worked with him before, and FdJ is the nucleus of this Netherland midfield and makes it competitive. Otherwise, without him, it maybe as underwhelming as ours.
It's another concern for me, the fact that all the targets we seem to be chasing are guys who ETH has worked with before. Didn't Mourinho do the same thing too? I don't remember Klopp and Guardiola or even Tuchel bringing in only players who they have worked with before.

redIndianDevil

In terms of what they can offer, but not necessarily positionally, I think Jacob Ramsey is another in the rare breed of midfielders that can pass well and carry the ball well. He's one too keep an eye on but is probably less obtainable than FdJ.
Absolutely no chance of getting him. Any English player on contract will be slapped with a 100m fee the moment we show the slightest interest.

themanguydude

I understood their financial problems last summer, but I think it's a bit overstated now. They are signing more players than they are looking to sell. All those free transfers can't really be free either.

I don't watch Barca, from what you are saying we'd need a strong defensive midfielder as well if we do end up signing De Jong.

Yea, most of them are free agents.

They are in a situation where they have to sell to buy(or sign free agents).

And FDJ is their most valuable player that they can sell.

sifi36

Did I misread the the thread title or is this actually the “Name midfielders nothing like De Jong” thread? His best attributes are picking the ball up off the defence whilst being impossible to press and progressing it forwards, accurate short metronomic passing and reading the game in defensive transition high up the pitch.

If this is what ETH wants from his CM then there is really no one attainable as an alternative, seeing as Verratti, Thiago, Kroos, Jorginho, Rodri and Modric are all out of the question.

Neves can’t dribble or pass as well, Bissouma isn’t as good at progression and Fabian Ruiz is too small and easily bullied for a premier league midfielder. Perhaps Caqueret could do the job but he would be a risk given his current level.

redIndianDevil

Yea, most of them are free agents.

They are in a situation where they have to sell to buy(or sign free agents).

And FDJ is their most valuable player that they can sell.
Free agents aren't exactly free, you'd have to pay them all a signing on fee.

didz

Did I misread the the thread title or is this actually the “Name midfielders nothing like De Jong” thread? His best attributes are picking the ball up off the defence whilst being impossible to press and progressing it forwards, accurate short metronomic passing and reading the game in defensive transition high up the pitch.

If this is what ETH wants from his CM then there is really no one attainable as an alternative, seeing as Verratti, Thiago, Kroos, Jorginho, Rodri and Modric are all out of the question.

Neves can’t dribble or pass as well, Bissouma isn’t as good at progression and Fabian Ruiz is too small and easily bullied for a premier league midfielder. Perhaps Caqueret could do the job but he would be a risk given his current level.
Fabian Ruiz is small? All my life I thought I stood relatively tall at 6"2.

I largely agree with your overall point.

meamth

Tielemans, Ruben Neves and Frenkie De Jong.

I will not settle for anything less.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Zubimendi and Mikel Merino

sifi36

Fabian Ruiz is small? All my life I thought I stood relatively tall at 6"2.

I largely agree with your overall point.
Fair point, didn’t realise he was as tall as that, watching him fail to win headers made me think he was much shorter.

Bondi77

Hannibal and Garner can duel it out for the role under the guidance of Erik.

SparkedIntoLife

It’s really hard to contextualise how good he is, though he’s going to be featuring more and more for Austria under Rangnick now, but Nicolas Seiwald is an interesting player in this mould.

didz

Fair point, didn’t realise he was as tall as that, watching him fail to win headers made me think he was much shorter.
His heading number are incredibly poor relative to his height to be fair, but it's hardly de Jong's game either. Timber could probably outjump Fabian if he started on Frenkie's shoulders!

Idxomer

Anyone else worried that so far it seems like we're only going for one midfielder?

We needed one already before last season and now we lost the two with real quality on the ball, so signing 2 midfielders is a must.

justsomebloke

I'm concerned why Barcelona are selling De Jong. There have been a few Dutch players who looked like superstars and failed spectacularly in the PL(we have one of them already) and the fact that Barcelona are happy to sell him (I don't buy their finances bit, they are signing players left right and center and are looking at Bernardo Silva as well who plays CM).

So who are the alternatives? Tchouameni is off to Real Madrid or PSG. I'm not sure if Bissouma is creative or good enough for our problem. Am I living under a bridge and not looking at news sources or are we only looking at De Jong.
I really can't think of a better or more obvious option than de Jong when it comes to addressing our troubles in moving the ball forward efficiently. But as far as I can see he's really not a deep midfield anchor, rather a high-grade no 8? Which means he'd be great, but we still need that deep midfield anchor. As well as, at a bare minimum, one forward - up front it's not yet a question of upgrading, we have actual holes on the depth chart. Then there's RB, where we plainly lack a remotely credible starter. So my main question over this one is, does it still leave us with the resources to address those other needs?

justsomebloke

Bissouma, who I think is a better player anyway. Better tackler, just as good on the ball.

A legal issue as has been mentioned before but looks like it's not a big deal given he's no longer on bail.

Tbh regardless of FDJ we need a DM, so signing Bissouma + De jong or say Bissouma + Neves would be a better way to go. You could probably get the latter two for around 80m vs 70m for De Jong alone. Both can sort of interchange in the DM role as both also like to get forward.
You think Yves Bissouma is a better football player than Frenkie de Jong?!

justsomebloke

It's more so how they act on the ball, De Jong just isn't a natural partner for the others Barcelona have, while his style of midfielder is what we've been crying out for for ages and what we tried to turn Pogba into. But regardless of him, we probably need a defensive midfielder anyway. Barcelona are signing all these players but can't register a single one. They sign them before they have the ability to register them. Don't assume they act out of logic.

Put it this way. You put Scholes or Modrić in our midfield... We'd still need a partner to them who is more solid positionally and defensively than Fred or Mctominay. You sign a solid defensive midfielder... Well you'll still need that deep lying playmaker who can't actually control games better than Fred or McTominay. There is probably more hope in making one of Fred or McTominay work as a partner to De Jong (who is decent defensively) than there is in turning one of them into a great deep playmaker, so it makes sense from that regard anyway.
I think I'd see that the other way around. Both Fred and McTominay have shown they have something to offer in a no 8 role, but I think it's safe to say they've both demonstrated pretty conclusively that they're not adequate in a deep holding role. At least not regularly. Not sure why you'd conceptualise that as a "deep lying playmaker", I don't think that's descriptive of the function of the less defensive half of the midfield pivot in this team.

justsomebloke

I think "other issues" were very much at the forefront there, I also thought he looked great on the occasions I saw him for Arsenal. But he's not really the kind of player we're talking about here I think. Either in terms of type of player or in terms of current level.

sparx99

So Neves, who is terribly slow, is going to play in a high block where United tries to dominate the game and be on the front foot? United won't sign low block Neves.
Is he any slower than Rodri?

Telsim

I've only watched him about five times in the last two seasons, but Koopmeiners has looked an absolute stand-out every time. Very much the type of player I feel we need. Good passer who is a natural playmaker, good physically, leadership ability...I'd say he's more like De Jong than most of the players people have mentioned in here.

The fact he doesn't seem to be linked to any top teams makes me think maybe I've just happened to catch him on his really good days though. Atalanta bought him for only €12m last season, so not sure what he'd cost now.

In terms of who the club are actually linked to, Neves seems a possibility.
Yep. I've brought up Koopmeiners once or twice before and no one seems to care. Which is really strange, because I think he can be a good player. He just turned 24 and we can nab him for spare change.

Him or Fabian Ruiz.

Neither of them seem to be getting much attention and are ripe for the taking.

RopersReturn

It’s obviously a bit of dilemma for de Jong? On the one hand, we’re a massive club with history, plus he’d be working with Ten Hag again and Barcelona need to sell players to balance their books, but missing out on UCL was an extremely damaging to us. I think we’ll struggle in attracting major signings this season as a result.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think I'd see that the other way around. Both Fred and McTominay have shown they have something to offer in a no 8 role, but I think it's safe to say they've both demonstrated pretty conclusively that they're not adequate in a deep holding role. At least not regularly. Not sure why you'd conceptualise that as a "deep lying playmaker", I don't think that's descriptive of the function of the less defensive half of the midfield pivot in this team.
Think you're misunderstanding me. If we sign Frenkie, then there is more hope to make McTominay or Fred work as his partner as kinda the stable support guy who can work like a ball winner, rather than turning them into a playmaker and have their partner be a DM (like Rice, hypothetically). I'm calling it a deep lying playmaker because that's what Frenkie is. We need a midfielder who will pick the ball up off the defenders and start the build up for us. We severely lack in ball progression from the defensive and midfield thirds of the pitch. That's why we need a player like De Jong who will pick the ball up and dictate tempo. Mctominay or Fred as his partner could be OK, as they would no longer have the need to do that, which they struggle with.

Whether that's as a 6 or as an 8, the position on the pitch isn't as important as the role they are assigned. Frenkie likes starting off as the deepest but he for sure would be the less defensive of the 2.