Alternatives for Frenkie De Jong

GreatDane

Bennacer all day:

Got a 50m Euro release clause as well.
Dont follow the Italian league to be honest, but he looks very exciting in this clip.
Was last year his breakthrough year or has he kept a high level for long?

Vapor trail

Bennacer all day:

Got a 50m Euro release clause as well.
Do wonder why City never went for him seems the mould of a Fernandinho. He's not a household name so to speak and due to United not utilising the scouting infrastructure I'd be surprised to see the club move for him.

the_cliff

Dont follow the Italian league to be honest, but he looks very exciting in this clip.
Was last year his breakthrough year or has he kept a high level for long?
Nah it was 2018-2019 with Empoli, he was also best player at the AFCON in 2019 when he won it. Got the move to AC Milan and has been one of their best player since, played a key part in their serie A win last season but has had some problems last season with injury.

Tallis

Fabian Ruiz would be similar to FDJ. We would still need a #6. Honestly - think I prefer Ruiz over FDJ

leontas

There is no plan B. We can remain irrational longer than Barcelona can stay solvent.

Hoof the ball

This entire thread is an affront to the devotional muppetry happening in the de Jong thread. There is no "alternative" or "plan b", so, get your hineys back into the the de Jong thread and help it pass 1k pages!

dubplate warrior

Andy Mitten has written in the GQ that for Ten Hag it's FDJ or bust. We will either buy him or the transfer won't happen and we'll spend that money on Antony imo.

El Presidente

Using your logic, I've only read that we want to sign him...so I shouldn't believe that, right?
Maybe think about why we are absolutely refusing to have alternatives. Or why we haven’t pulled our offer.
Just imagine a scenario where he actually didn’t want to come and we maintained our current stance. Would have been mental.

Chairman Steve

The smart money says that for the £100m they’ve spent so far on Lewandowski and Raphinha, then surely someone is getting sold to balance the books, especially for Barcelona of all clubs.

And I’m currently not seeing any strong, substantial sales links outside of FDJ leaving for United. They‘re probably going to need to sell Depay too, seeing that Dembele renewed and Aubameyang is relatively new still.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Andy Mitten has written in the GQ that for Ten Hag it's FDJ or bust. We will either buy him or the transfer won't happen and we'll spend that money on Antony imo.
I'm 100% sure that this is not true. Ten Hag himself has said when asked about De Jong that it is necessary to have "this kind of player". Should the De Jong transfer not materialize, this will still be true. United lost Pogba, and the other midfielders are of somewhat questionable quality for a top team, of course they need a technically strong central or box to box midfielder and they need him ASAP.
De Jong might be the clear first choice and the club might be willing to be very patient and insistent about him, but of course they will have alternatives on their list. Even if they're willing to wait a year for De Jong, they'll still need someone now, a "smaller" transfer.

dubplate warrior

I'm 100% sure that this is not true. Ten Hag himself has said when asked about De Jong that it is necessary to have "this kind of player". United lost Pogba and the other midfielders are of questionable quality for a top team, of course they need a technically strong central or box to box midfielder and they need him ASAP.
De Jong might be the clear first choice and the club might be willing to be very patient and insistent about him, but of course they will have alternatives on their list.
Certainly hope so mate, I'm tired of seeing Mcfred..... so, so ,so tired.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I'm kind of serious about Neuhaus though, last summer he was in everyone's mouth but the attention has shifted after a season that had nothing but turmoil at Gladbach. His contract is up in two years, he's reportedly disappointed that Favre didn't come, now is surely a good time to get him.
I'm not even sure Frenkie is better than him.

Lyng

I'm kind of serious about Neuhaus though, last summer he was in everyone's mouth but the attention has shifted after a season that had nothing but turmoil at Gladbach. His contract is up in two years, he's reportedly disappointed that Favre didn't come, now is surely a good time to get him.
I would agree with you.
Personally I think United should drop the idea of Frenkie and Anthony due to the insane price / difficulty of transfer, and go for Florian Neuhaus and Patrick Schick instead.

Bigfoot2

Its a good question. I just have to believe that the United higher-ups know something we don't. They certainly wouldn't spend this much time and effort if they were informed that he honestly did not want to play for us. Right? Right?!?! Someone please tell me we certainly aren't that foolish.
I hope you're right. This saga is beginning to make me yawn. Barcelona are up financial shit creek without a paddle and if they want to force FDJ out, they should also be forced to pay him his dues. I cannot understand the logic behind being able to (allegedly) fork out millions that you haven't got for players that you cannot register and then create a situation which further prevents any progress. I find it slightly incongruous that Barca are treated differently than Madrid were when they were being bailed out by banks and local government aid. "The times they are a changing" Just ask the Saudis. Anyone for golf? :D

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Keep reading that de Jong does not want to come to OT, so why are we chasing him. If we keep on then we are in danger of unbalancing the positive vibes coming from the team. Not once has he said " I want to join United". Forget him. Move on

GreatDane

Keep reading that de Jong does not want to come to OT, so why are we chasing him. If we keep on then we are in danger of unbalancing the positive vibes coming from the team. Not once has he said " I want to join United". Forget him. Move on
Doesn't make it true, does it. Most likely thing is he didn't plan to leave before this summer, but that is not the same as he doesn’t want to come here.
And now it's apparently a waiting game between him and Barca over the deferred wages from the last two seasons.
A very boring waiting game from our side of things but if he says publicly that he wants to come here then he loses his leverage over Barca.

Beaucoup

Doesn't make it true, does it. Most likely thing is he didn't plan to leave before this summer, but that is not the same as he doesn’t want to come here.
And now it's apparently a waiting game between him and Barca over the deferred wages from the last two seasons.
A very boring waiting game from our side of things but if he says publicly that he wants to come here then he loses his leverage over Barca.
I'm ok with the wait, as long as we don't end up panic buying Fellaini on the last day of the transfer window

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Yeah, this.

ETH mentioned in his interview with Simon Stone the other day that if he can't get FDJ he will "mould another player into that role" (McT, Fred or Garner, I guess)

Bondi77

I'm 100% sure that this is not true. Ten Hag himself has said when asked about De Jong that it is necessary to have "this kind of player". Should the De Jong transfer not materialize, this will still be true. United lost Pogba, and the other midfielders are of somewhat questionable quality for a top team, of course they need a technically strong central or box to box midfielder and they need him ASAP.
De Jong might be the clear first choice and the club might be willing to be very patient and insistent about him, but of course they will have alternatives on their list. Even if they're willing to wait a year for De Jong, they'll still need someone now, a "smaller" transfer.
He said in the same interview that he would develop that player if they could not get the player they are after.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We should go for Fabian Ruiz, probably the closest thing to de Jong style and he’d probably be halve the price aswell. Let’s not just go for the easy options and pick players in the prem just because there ‘prem proven’ I’d rather us chose players based on quality!

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
But can he play in the rocket science system ETH is gonna implement? Because apparently FDJ is the only midfielder on the planet that can play in the role.

Lyng

But can he play in the rocket science system ETH is gonna implement? Because apparently FDJ is the only midfielder on the planet that can play in the role.
I think he would be an even better fit for us as he is defensively better than Frenkie.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Fabian Ruiz should change his name into Fabian Van Ruiz. If he manages to play 2-3 games in the Dutch league then he would probably be considered as a great alternative to FDJ.

dubplate warrior

Yeah, this.

ETH mentioned in his interview with Simon Stone the other day that if he can't get FDJ he will "mould another player into that role" (McT, Fred or Garner, I guess)
It won't be Mctominay, he lacks the basic abilities to play deeper, hence why you're seeing Fred go deeper more often. Even though it's not Fred's best role, he is still better than Scott.

sherrinford

Fabian Ruiz should change his name into Fabian Van Ruiz. If he manages to play 2-3 games in the Dutch league then he would probably be considered as a great alternative to FDJ.
Ruiz is not a holding midfielder so can't be a great alternative to de Jong.

E-mal

"Alternatives for Frenkie Dejong "
"Alternatives to Frenkie Dejong"

Amadevs

Supports
United
Many of you misjudge Ruben Neves, considering him a pure DM.
Actually, he take the ball from the CB, going forward, always looking for a chance of long pass to either of the wingers or CF.
Arguably he is better in defensive part than De Jong.
So I think if "this kind" is the one we are looking for, then we should move for Neves.

Kearnkoff69

Neuhaus is intriguing to me, though sadly it doesn't seem like he's on our radar.