Alternatives for Frenkie De Jong

Stig

ETH said he would develop from within in an interview, so that means Fred. :drool:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Think he’d be excellent, perfect Matic replacement.
We don't need Matic replacement in Ten Hag system. You guys sound like you think our manager is still Jose or Ole. Ten Hag has little use for such player in his system. Which is why he is trying to sign De Jong who is clearly not a DMF

Mr PG

James Garner is the player most suited to the role followed by Fred. McTominay is done as a starter imo.

Cathy Ferguson

ETH said he would develop from within in an interview, so that means Fred. :drool:
The gulf in class and technical ability beteween Fred and De Jong is immense. Fred or Garner in that role and we are in for a struggle to reach top 6.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Yeah, this.

ETH mentioned in his interview with Simon Stone the other day that if he can't get FDJ he will "mould another player into that role" (McT, Fred or Garner, I guess)
He's making positive noises about moulding Fred in an interview with Simon Stone on BBC this morning in Perth. Still looking at his attacking options however.

flappyjay

We don't need Matic replacement in Ten Hag system. You guys sound like you think our manager is still Jose or Ole. Ten Hag has little use for such player in his system. Which is why he is trying to sign De Jong who is clearly not a DMF
Matic was good on the ball if he wsd around and younger he could have been coached to play the role.

Keefy18

Based on ETH's sentiments this week he has confirmed it is Iqbal and / or Savage.

Basically said he will coach a player for the role.

Womp

idiot
Based on ETH's sentiments this week he has confirmed it is Iqbal and / or Savage.

Basically said he will coach a player for the role.
Ya, seems that way. Would probably explain the lack of any progress on the De Jong front. He also mentioned today that Fred was doing a good job at connecting the defence to the offence, which is what De Jong is quite good at, so Fred may be used in that role too.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
De Jong and Fred I want to see

zenith

Looks like Fred is going to be our DM for the season. Seriously hope ETH is able to improve his ball retention and distribution as there is no questioning his tenacity and ability to win the ball back

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah, he's better on the ball than McTominay, so it makes sense. Ole also used Fred deeper, and despite having a mistake in him, he's better on the ball than McTominay. I also think McTominay is better going forward and is more composed in front of goal, although Fred has scored a few beautiful goals of late. I think ten Hag see's McTominay as more of a Gravenberch type, where he can use his power and stamina to get forward.

If we don't get De Jong, which would be really unfortunate, we'll most likely see Fred and Garner (yet to see in pre season) or Savage as the deepest midfielders, with McTominay, Van de Beek or maybe Eriksen as the number 8.

Bruno/Eriksen - McTominay/Van de Beek
Fred/Garner

Yes, people will moan and say we still have McFred, but its not always about just personnel, but rather how they are set up to play. It's only pre season, but we have played better football with the same three in midfield, simply because they have been set up in a different way, and I believe they have roles that suit them much better than the previous roles, where the two (Fred and McTominay) were asked to play in a typical number 6 pivot.

Time will tell, but I think there's more than enough creativity and legs in the midfield above to dominate teams both in and out of possession.

EDIT:

It also makes a lot of sense as to why it was rumoured that ten Hag tried desperately hard to keep Matic who, despite not having the legs, suits the role he wants to use his deepest midfield to play to a tee.

Walters_19_MuFc

James Garner is the player most suited to the role followed by Fred. McTominay is done as a starter imo.
How do you work that one out? McTominay has been playing as a box to box number 8 and despite what most have been saying, he's done a decent job of it during pre season.

Keefy18

Think Savage is more suited to the deeper role, with Iqbal as the number 8.
Yeah he sits in front of the back 4 more, far better movement / positioning than McTominay already who hides behind the opponents front 2. Zero intelligence or he's knowingly doing it and no confidence. I reckon its the former though myself.

Iqbal again has great positioning and nice link up play, very clever player and shown good technical ability on the tour.

Mr PG

Savage and Iqbal are good but currently still lack the physicality for the role in the league.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
his cousin - De Jong Frenkie? It's beginning to look like him or no one

OmarUnited4ever

how the hell is Loftus-Cheek in that list?
Loftus-Cheek excels in ball-carrying, hence why he features.

The criteria they looked at was:

Link-up
Ball carries
progressive passing
ball retention

but the piece is based purely on stats, they found players who scored same numbers statistically as De Jong in 2018/19 season, especially in the metrics where De Jong excelled at.

Bestietom

I think Sangare is best option. We have Eriksen or Fred to pick up from him and connect the forwards.
Sangare is strong in the tackle, good in the air, and can score and assist goals also.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

From that piece:

There wont be a contingency plan. I've now accepted the fact it's De Jong or nothing, regarding a player in midfield.

We'll possibly move for Anthony if this deal doesn't materialize.

avgp_1

From that piece:

Really impressed with Lukic last season, should come reasonably cheap. Scores his fair share of goals.

Vitinha looked good but was PSG bound wants he? Ruiz is overrated, he will be blown away in the PL. Too slow, defensively non existent and needs multiple passing options in around him.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Everything now points to the De Jong deal not going ahead.
Too many sources now saying he never wanted to join us in the first place.
How can we get things so wrong and waste so much time or is the club just gaslighting the fans to believe any old BS.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Everything now points to the De Jong deal not going ahead.
Too many sources now saying he never wanted to join us in the first place.
How can we get things so wrong and waste so much time or is the club just gaslighting the fans to believe any old BS.
Think that's just you in this instance

Tallis

Not sure about the analysis on similar players.

We should just try to get Ruiz - would come cheaper and require less wages. Then we can find a 6 to play alongside him.

MrBest

I'm so over FDJ. Amazing talent but do we really want this guy here if he clearly does not want to be? Smells a bit like Di Maria, comes for the money, hates Manchester, leaves next year. I really think we should buy an alternative or coach up whoever ETH was thinking, pray and hope we get top 4 next season and throw everything to Bellingham next season.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm so over FDJ. Amazing talent but do we really want this guy here if he clearly does not want to be? Smells a bit like Di Maria, comes for the money, hates Manchester, leaves next year. I really think we should buy an alternative or coach up whoever ETH was thinking, pray and hope we get top 4 next season and throw everything to Bellingham next season.
Di Maria vibes but no walking away

7/10

TheReligion

Abusive
The obvious answer is to develop Mctominay.

Has all the right attributes under the tutorship of EtH, MvG and S.McClaren.

Book mark this.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers

Book mark this.
If he can turn McT into a world class midfielder, he really is the 2nd coming
Cant pass
No spacial awareness
Limited ball control

If he can sort all that and more, he is THE ONE

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Book mark this.
Afterwards he can turn Boris Johnson into a good person. It'll be easier than your grand master plan for a player that doesn't get into Scotland's midfield.

matt10000

No need for alternative, he is coming.

What is said in public is not what is said in private and we wouldn't still be pursuing this if the player wasn't interested.