Alternatives for Frenkie De Jong

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
So after yesterday, I'm all in on Caicedo. Not the same as FDJ but I'm getting strong vibes of Kante at Leicester. He will absolutely be snapped up by a big team within the next year. I wonder if Brighton could be convinced to sell now? Unlikely after losing Bissouma and getting a tonne of money for Cucurella also.

Caicedo and Caqueret would be a great pairing for me.

Bojan Djordjic

Koudio Koné, Locatelli, Thuram, Bennacer, Szoboszlai not to mention guys that have gone to our ‘inferiors’ this season such as Doucoure and Kamara are all significantly better than what we have in midfield and may have been reasonably attainable. Rabiot is just so uninspiring. What happened to the Matheus Nunes rumors even?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I would say play Eriksen deep and to make sure we solidify the defense with Eriksen playing as no 6, we play 3 at the back formation.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Thank god, as predicted by many on this thread, McTominay is finally coming good.
He only needed a few weeks coaching from ETH to finally realise his unlimited potential.
Yesterday was like seeing a mash up of Keane, Scholes and Beckham which a touch of Robson thrown in there.
We need no signings with super Scott strutting his stuff.

m1tch

There surely has to be somebody available at a level between FDJ and Rabiot.

croadyman

We need two players to cover not signing him how are the club not realising that

Bojan Djordjic

If we're going to piss about this season, can we do it in style and sign Tanguy N'Dombele. Possibly one of about three midfielders who could claim to be a better dribbler than Frenkie and immensely fun to watch. We'd definitely need a DM to counterbalance him but would be entertaining at least rather than watching another season of McFred.

Also, any Chelsea fans that can give an appraisal of Ruben Loftus Cheek. On paper (fbref), he looks like an absolute worldy but why is he not regarded that way in real life?

newgiz

If we're going to piss about this season, can we do it in style and sign Tanguy N'Dombele. Possibly one of about three midfielders who could claim to be a better dribbler than Frenkie and immensely fun to watch. We'd definitely need a DM to counterbalance him but would be entertaining at least rather than watching another season of McFred.

Also, any Chelsea fans that can give an appraisal of Ruben Loftus Cheek. On paper (fbref), he looks like an absolute worldy but why is he not regarded that way in real life?
I am unsure if this is a wind up. N'Dombele can't last a full 90 minutes in the PL and there has been plenty of evidence to highlight that. RLC has not been the same since his injuries.

Bojan Djordjic

I am unsure if this is a wind up. N'Dombele can't last a full 90 minutes in the PL and there has been plenty of evidence to highlight that. RLC has not been the same since his injuries.
I would genuinely take 70 minutes of N'Dombele ripping the piss breaking defenders ankles than 90mins of McFred. Absolutely love watching the guy and I can't take another season of insanity with McFred plus Rabiot.

Another guy who I've discovered doing some fbref/youtube scouting is Azzedine Ounahi at Angers. He's a 22 year old Moroccan but he looks really good in build up, is a very good dribbler and looks like he has a really good ability to pass through the lines into forward areas. Wouldn't be a defensive midfielder but presumably wouldn't be too expensive and we need an eight as well as a 6 given how chronic McTominay and Fred are as a duo.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I'm surprised nobody has brought tielemans?

Perhaps he fancies his chances of getting a big contract on a bosman after the world cup

But only 25 with over 450 games under his belt... and premier league proven in the last year of his contract to a club who seem open to selling players

Would seem a really logical option as a fdj alternative

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Ok since I've just seen a tweet about.. wouldn't Ndombele be fecking perfect? There's a monster of a player in there, Spurs apparently want to get rid?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Ok since I've just seen a tweet about.. wouldn't Ndombele be fecking perfect? There's a monster of a player in there, Spurs apparently want to get rid?
Like Pogba, lack of concentration can be an issue and Spurs won't deal with us.

Drz

I'm surprised nobody has brought tielemans?

Perhaps he fancies his chances of getting a big contract on a bosman after the world cup

But only 25 with over 450 games under his belt... and premier league proven in the last year of his contract to a club who seem open to selling players

Would seem a really logical option as a fdj alternative
Would take him over Rabiot, but maybe Leicester are asking for stupid money for a player with 12 months left on the contract? Not sure I have seen intel on his price...

Crapper John

Supports
Arsenal
He would be who I would like to. Him and Eriksen would be very fun in midfield. Injuries would be my only worry.
I was sorry Arsenal let him go. He has since matured into a talented player, but I suppose you cannot keep all of your promising youngsters.

Bojan Djordjic

I was sorry Arsenal let him go. He has since matured into a talented player, but I suppose you cannot keep all of your promising youngsters.
Between him and Gnabry and I feel there’s another I’m forgetting (Malen maybe) Arsenal have let some serious talent skip through their fingers.

Crapper John

Supports
Arsenal
Between him and Gnabry and I feel there’s another I’m forgetting (Malen maybe) Arsenal have let some serious talent skip through their fingers.
The loss of Gnabry was Wenger's fault. He was sent out on loan to West Brom. where Tony Pulis of all people, pronounced him not good enough! When he returned, Wenger seemed reluctant to play him. Donyell Malen has a natural eye for a goal, and was always highly regarded, but couldn't see his way to a first team slot.

Sea-Cow

He's a bit of a headcase but I wouldn't mind having the French Sideshow Bob in our central midfield. He's quality and for some reason opposing fans absolutely hate him, which would be fun.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Pjanic as a short term stop gap anyone? Fabian Ruiz's transfer to PSG still not finalised. Would be great if we could convince him, maybe as part of the Ronaldo deal.

devil99

Pjanic as a short term stop gap anyone? Fabian Ruiz's transfer to PSG still not finalised. Would be great if we could convince him, maybe as part of the Ronaldo deal.
I came here to just post the same message. Either Pjanic or Ruiz

RedorDead21

Our strategy on what to fix this summer seems a little odd. You’d think we’d finish sorting out the defence..or the midfield but instead we are dotting from one side of the pitch to the other. Was really hoping the midfield would finally get sorted but it looks like we only wanted FDJ for that role. You lot seem to have suggested viable alternatives to see us realistically achieve top 4 this season going to be struggle as it is. The boat was pushed out and we can’t fix everything I know but just seems we needed just another one in there to prevent McFred from another very prominent role in how our season pans out argghhhh

bucky

Need to see more of him, but perhaps André from Fluminense. Most of the players I wanted us to sign for that role moved to different clubs this summer, like Fabián, Vitinha and Matheus Nunes.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Aouar, he is really demotivated at Lyon. Stayed there for far too long.

Vapor trail

Kone from the Bundesliga seems his name is gathering pace (not speculation but hype in anticipation). I've only seen him in a few highlights excellent player on the ball unsure about his distribution however. He's likely going to attract interest in the future as his talent speaks for itself.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Sandro Tonali was quite consistent for Milan last season after struggling when he just came in... Dont know if he would want to leave Italy, but he should be on a shortlist somewhere..

Son

Arsenal would never sell to us but Martin Ødegaard seems to have improved his playmaking abilities this season.

Looks a truly world class talent now in midfield and only 23. I’d choose him above almost any mid in the world going forward minus Pedri from Barcelona.

Swordsman

Thank god, as predicted by many on this thread, McTominay is finally coming good.
He only needed a few weeks coaching from ETH to finally realise his unlimited potential.
Yesterday was like seeing a mash up of Keane, Scholes and Beckham which a touch of Robson thrown in there.
We need no signings with super Scott strutting his stuff.
He can't multitask. He can only focused doing 1 thing only.

zaafi

I don't understand the people suggesting Fabian Ruiz as an alternative to Frenkie de Jong. They play in the same position, and that's about it. Fabian is weak and easily dispossessed, and would likely struggle in Premier League. Not even a bit press resistant.

pocco

loco
Different profiles but...

Caqueret - He's not started a game yet this season for Lyon. I rate him and think he's got big potential. Perhaps they'd be willing to sell? Not sure.

Caicedo - Think he's great and would fill the energetic b2b type role for us, along with adding even more defensive nous also. Potter has left the door open to him leaving from what I read this morning, so perhaps we are still in there? Although I think Liverpool and Arsenal have been sniffing around also. Would be gutted to see him end up at either of them.

pocco

loco
Kone from the Bundesliga seems his name is gathering pace (not speculation but hype in anticipation). I've only seen him in a few highlights excellent player on the ball unsure about his distribution however. He's likely going to attract interest in the future as his talent speaks for itself.
He looks interesting but perhaps still a bit raw.