Alternatives to Jadon Sancho

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
@SportingCP96

Your verdict on Raphinha?
He’s not a Bad player but he’s a huge step down from Sancho. Not necessarily someone who I would expect to start at a club like Manchester United but he could be a good player coming off the bench making an impact.

He’s very quick and has a decent shot on him as well.

criticalanalysis

He’s not a Bad player but he’s a huge step down from Sancho. Not necessarily someone who I would expect to start at a club like Manchester United but he could be a good player coming off the bench making an impact.

He’s very quick and has a decent shot on him as well.
:eek:

Hm not sure how I feel about this because as much potential as Sancho has, I do feel there's something lacking. He has a lot guile and game intelligence but I don't think he possess elite athletic attributes. Although saying that, a playmaker with dribbling ability, who can break the lines with passing and ball carrying is exactly what we need.

Thanks! Will keep a watch on Raphinha.

NoPace

Didnt looked anything special in the europa league fixture, I wouldnt touch him with a stick for that kind of fee.
He's not a guy who blows you away because he's not a special dribbler, but he's a very talented player. Up to 8 in 15 in La Liga this year after 3 consistent goal scoring seasons of 10 in 37, 13 in 37 and 12 in 35. 4 in 11 for Spain isn't aa bad start.

He played on the left to accomodate Januzaj, but he'd be our right winger able to cut in, and a backup for Bruno if VDB isn't that guy.

There are crazier ideas than offering Sociedad 50M for him and selling Martial to Italy or wherever to cover it, especially if we prefer Greenwood as a 9 to a RW. Same argument for bringing in Rafinha or Leon Bailey or another RW who would cost say 35M instead of 100 like Sancho but is ready to step in and is better than Dan James (who can become Rashford's backup on the left) while Diallo gets 2-3 years as a sub and sometime starter.

It basically all comes down to where we see Greenwood playing.

Rashford(James)--Cavani(Greenwood)----RW(Diallo)

and then next summer it's Haaland or Mbappe (never talked about to us but we're one of 6 or so teams it wouldn't be insane for him to choose as next stop) or another high priced 9 to be the Aguero to Greenwood's Jesus. Kane might push a move to us but obviously injuries and his being probably an old 27 and massive price tag would be a whole thing. People push Calvert-Lewin but don't see Everton having to sell for anything but an insane price and Richarlison seems more likely to move just from being foreign and wanting to be a 9 so he can start for Brazil. Probably 1 or 2 guys from the young bracket of Isak, Maxi Gomez, En-Neysri, Andre Silva, Nunez, Watkins, Daka, Edouard or Thuram could make a leap soon. There's also the cheaper option of a guy like Ings (who is said to want to come here and seems to be sold on a move this summer or next).

Or Greenwood could be preferred as a RW and then we keep Martial, don't sign a RW and replace Cavani with a 9, and I think in that case it would make sense to look for less of a target 9 type like Cunha or Lautaro (or Ings or Kane) since we want Greenwood operating close to goal since he's very average creating from deep (which Diallo should soon pass him in) but brilliant at finishing.

It's really all about Rashford and Bruno, and who fits best with them. Right now they are our first tier of attackers and Cavani, Greenwood, Martial, James and Diallo are in a 2nd tier but none of them have yet become the 3rd man in attack. And with Greenwood it could be as a 9 or as RW.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Raphina is not good enough, Almiron is a ridiculous shout, absolute travesty at the top level, the Georgian player of the year? No thanks.
I think it's Sancho or stick to what we have.
Unless Dortmund sell for the right money, anything under £70m, then we stick to our right sided options we already have.

buckooo1978

it's hard to know but I don't think that RW will be our priority this Summer

there's bound to be some talent in the Portuguese/French league we can bring in for a Telles fee though

as a fall back a short term move for a more experienced player who can play left or right like Perisic would have been a great short term deal last Summer....Be good to bring in a similar player. Someone who falls somewhere between Dan James and Jadon Sancho in terms of quality

depending on the club it really could be a buyers market

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I've been worried about going over the top for Sancho because there seems something off -

However, I have come to think that in this modern day that finding a top class inverted winger or inverted forward is much easier than finding a winger that keeps his width before crossing, pulling back and taking shots.

I'd be happy to see if Amad and Greenwood are good as our inverted forward options and Sancho being out width keeping winger.

If we need an inverted winger then Amad or maybe even Greenwood one day may need replacing.

MrBrightside1989

I don't see RW as the top priority. Greenwood and James are good options and Amad deserves a good run, perhaps Pellestri too next season if he progresses on loan.
I think sorting the striker (Is it time for martial to move on?), centre back and adding depth at right back will be Ole's main areas of focus. Perhaps midfield,depending on the next chapter of the Pogba saga.

Slysi17

I
I don't see RW as the top priority. Greenwood and James are good options and Amad deserves a good run, perhaps Pellestri too next season if he progresses on loan.
I think sorting the striker (Is it time for martial to move on?), centre back and adding depth at right back will be Ole's main areas of focus. Perhaps midfield,depending on the next chapter of the Pogba saga.
I would add a defensive mid as a necessity next season too. I don't think our defensive mid options are good enough. I would get a defensive mid and centre back first before worrying about a striker or right winger

croadyman

Do think Raphinha could offer us something different on the right and it would allow us to spend more on the other areas in the team that need to be addressed

macheda14

Do think Raphinha could offer us something different on the right and it would allow us to spend more on the other areas in the team that need to be addressed
He would cost 60 mill minimum. Only been there a year and they aren’t desperate for money.

SwedishFish

If the Cavani rumours are true, then I'd say it more than likely we're not signing a RW this upcoming summer.

More likely to go all out for a Haaland or another striker that fits the bill.

Ludens the Red

Daniel James. I don’t really see what Sancho can bring that James can’t.

I don’t actually think this but the poster Nou_camp99 does. He said so. No really.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Lookman worth a shout? He looks lethal especially recently for Fulham.
I was thinking same watch MOTD, highlights can be deceiving though. How creative is he? I know he is good 1v1s but tends to not use his options well in the box

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
If the Cavani rumours are true, then I'd say it more than likely we're not signing a RW this upcoming summer.

More likely to go all out for a Haaland or another striker that fits the bill.
Can see it being between Greenwood and Martial up top and getting Sancho, so we have James and Diallo backing up Rashford and Sancho. Don't think we'll be able to get Haaland but if possible then we'll get Haaland of course.

SwedishFish

Can see it being between Greenwood and Martial up top and getting Sancho, so we have James and Diallo backing up Rashford and Sancho. Don't think we'll be able to get Haaland but if possible then we'll get Haaland of course.
Neither of those two provides the number of goals we need and both of them lack the hold-up play needed from a good CF.

We'll see who it will be, but fingers crossed. I'd be happy with getting Sancho and having Cavani for another season too btw.

Eternitiy

I wonder if we could get Pulisic from Chelsea. Not playing under Tuchel, and exactly the sort of player we're missing. A direct and dynamic threat from the right side. My only concern with him is recurring injuries.

bosnian_red

Neither of those two provides the number of goals we need and both of them lack the hold-up play needed from a good CF.

We'll see who it will be, but fingers crossed. I'd be happy with getting Sancho and having Cavani for another season too btw.
Martial has good hold up play but lacks elsewhere. Greenwood is young but with huge potential and will be our striker long term. It's just a matter of when, and how soon Ole would trust him with the role (as long as it's not too soon).

Icemav

Martial has good hold up play but lacks elsewhere. Greenwood is young but with huge potential and will be our striker long term. It's just a matter of when, and how soon Ole would trust him with the role (as long as it's not too soon).
Its funny to me how Martial went from a player with shit hold up play, good link play, and cold as ice finishing - to good hold up play, so so link play, and cant hit a barn door.

Maybe next season it all comes together for him.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I

I would add a defensive mid as a necessity next season too. I don't think our defensive mid options are good enough. I would get a defensive mid and centre back first before worrying about a striker or right winger
DM and RW are the two top positions for me. Move Greenwood, let him compete with Martial at CF. Sure our CBs could compliment each other better but individually, I think they are good players and as a pair, they are serviceable... for now. What I can't stand, are Fred and McSauce doing half a job each with neither being a consistently good passer at that. Also, we need a creative outlet on the right, one that can carrier the load on days where Rashy and Bruno aren't on. Too many games where we just look toothless (don't care what the total goals scored says) or can't show composure in key moments of big games.

Lastly, we need to find a way to keep Pogba to partner that new DM. This way, we'll have Fred, Dan James and McSauce all as back ups, which quite frankly is all they should be at a club with our aspirations.
My choices would be Declan Rice and Sancho (maybe Rafinha as an alternative but not in love with that option). With those two, we'll mount very serious challenges for trophies.

Last edited:

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
DM and RW are the two top positions for me. Move Greenwood, let him compete with Martial at CF. Sure our CBs could compliment each other better but individually, I think they are good players and as a pair, they are serviceable... for now. What I can't stand, are Fred and McSauce doing half a job each with neither being a consistently good passer at that. Also, we need a creative outlet on the right, one that can carrier the load on days where Rashy and Bruno aren't on. Too many games where we just look toothless (don't care what the total goals scored says) or can't show composure in key moments of big games.

Lastly, we need to find a way to keep Pogba to partner that new DM. This way, we'll have Fred, Dan James and McSauce all as back ups, which quite frankly is all they should be at a club with our aspirations.
My choices would be Declan Rice and Sancho (maybe Rafinha as an alternative but not in love with that option). With those two, we'll mount very serious challenges for trophies.

Slysi17

Would love Sancho but my only worry is that will take all or most of our transfer budget. You know what the Glazers are like. Our net spend hasn't been above 70 million for the past couple of seasons.

SwedishFish

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. He doesn't impose himself nearly enough to be a CF imo.

As for Greenwood, yes bags of talent, could potentially play on the wing but he will need to start scoring goals if he wants the CF position. We all know he can but goals on a consistent basis along with the aforementioned qualities can take a long time to develop. Until then he's certainly not ready to be a starting striker for us.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Would love Sancho but my only worry is that will take all or most of our transfer budget. You know what the Glazers are like. Our net spend hasn't been above 70 million for the past couple of seasons.
That's the issue for me too. Which is why I would take Rice (using Lingard to reduce the price) and Rafinha over Sancho by himself or Sancho and another average DM. All wishes but we can only hope aye?

bosnian_red

That's the issue for me too. Which is why I would take Rice (using Lingard to reduce the price) and Rafinha over Sancho by himself or Sancho and another average DM. All wishes but we can only hope aye?
Rice would likely cost as much as Sancho..

Slysi17

Yep that's the hope. Hopefully we stumble across a defensive mid that is a bargain like other clubs do.

Lee565

Think we might be better offer going for a good offensive right back and rotating between a diamond formation and a 433 when playing diallo as I'm sure he will be playing quite few games next season in the first team and then put all the focus on buying a world class striker.

Red00012

Think we might be better offer going for a good offensive right back and rotating between a diamond formation and a 433 when playing diallo as I'm sure he will be playing quite few games next season in the first team and then put all the focus on buying a world class striker.
Ya that won’t happen mate

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Rice would likely cost as much as Sancho..
Yeah, English tax an all. Was listening to Goldbridge yesterday, he's saying West ham would want 60mill (I don't think this would be too bad actually) but real issue is that apparently Rice doesn't want to leave London.

RashyForPM

Links to Pulisic are intriguing and cause for optimism imo. Top player. Don’t agree with Chelsea reject and stuff - Tuchel simply doesn’t rate him. He’s the RW we need if we can’t get Sancho.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The 2 I would say are realistic/achievable and stand out are

Raphinha, and moussa diaby.

both fantastic 1v1, very quick and can carry the ball at speed. Assist plenty but also have a scoring threat themselves.