Alternatives to Jadon Sancho

Matt851

Torres has started well at city. If we had been more realistic in terms of not being able to afford sancho with our budget then we might have been able to get him ahead of city

beingshe7don

Not sure he's an alternative for Sancho but Vinicius seems to be rather unsettled in Madrid. The guy has potential no doubt. I feel he lacks the nurturing relationship at Madrid what he would get in the United dressing room. What do you guys think?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not sure he's an alternative for Sancho but Vinicius seems to be rather unsettled in Madrid. The guy has potential no doubt. I feel he lacks the nurturing relationship at Madrid what he would get in the United dressing room. What do you guys think?
He's mainly a left winger, I like his all-round game and he's clearly got talent but he's an abysmal finisher.

Chairman Steve

I have a feeling Diallo is the alternative we’ve settled on to be honest. If he ends up looking like he can handle it when he arrives in January then I can‘t see us chasing a RW, especially when Greenwood can fill in there too.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I have a feeling Diablo is the alternative we’ve settled on to be honest. If he ends up looking like he can handle it when he arrives in January then I can‘t see us chasing a RW, especially when Greenwood can fill in there too.
Diallo and Pellistri too. Yeah, I can't see us going for Sancho now to be honest. I don't think we'll go for another attacker until Haaland is back on the market.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I imagine dortmund will come crawling to us next summer hoping we will pay what we offered this summer. Another full year of covid and all these clubs be fecked

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Torres has started well at city. If we had been more realistic in terms of not being able to afford sancho with our budget then we might have been able to get him ahead of city
He's playing as a striker though which is pretty different to how we would have used him - but yes he's a good player.

Pav1878

I think he's a very good player but I doubt he is transferable in Madrid's eyes

georgipep

1. Torres was scouted extensively after it became clear Sane wasn't going to stay at City and early negotiations for him were supposedly taking place last season.
2. Do you honestly believe any other club had any chance of signing him when Guardiola wanted him? The guy is Spanish and I doubt there is another manager in the world he would rather work with than Pep.

McTerminator

1. Torres was scouted extensively after it became clear Sane wasn't going to stay at City and early negotiations for him were supposedly taking place last season.
2. Do you honestly believe any other club had any chance of signing him when Guardiola wanted him? The guy is Spanish and I doubt there is another manager in the world he would rather work with than Pep.
As another point, players often refer to how badly a club wanted them or made them feel wanted as a factor in deciding to move.

Unlike previous years with pursuits of Ramos and whoever else, these stars (Sancho and Haaland) are perhaps young enough for this intense interest to pay off one day, sooner or later.

Probably never going to happen, but a muppet can dream.

drmuji

I really do think we will eventually sign a winger. But it would either be Ousmane Dembele or Kingsley Coman on loan.
I really do think the two wingers which we have gambled on are our future

dal

Agreed, I don’t think we will go for Sancho.
I think Solskjaer has the below two sets of 6 in his mind within the next two years.

Greenwood-Martial-Rashford-Haaland-Pellistri-Diallo.

Bruno-Grealish-New DLP-Fred-Mctominay-VDB.

Then maybe a one in one out policy which will be shaped by the core values of our club.

Matt851

I really do think we will eventually sign a winger. But it would either be Ousmane Dembele or Kingsley Coman on loan.
I really do think the two wingers which we have gambled on are our future
I would be happy with coman but dont think there is any chance bayern are loaning him now.

I still think we could do with a reasonably experienced right winger/forward even if its just a mid level one ideally to replace james

rotherham_red

I still think we'll be in for him next summer. We need the numbers there and Diallo and Pellistri are so young that they can be bedded in for the next two years at least. In any case, I see Pellistri's future being central as opposed to out wide.

City had Sterling, Sane (now Ferran), Mahrez as quality options for two spots. We currently have a Rashford and Greenwood (the latter who will end up a striker). Diallo will most likely be added, but we still have room for another, and I think Sancho will be the club's preference.

lex talionis

Greenwood, mates. The boy is a super nova of a talent who down the road may be our center forward, but it’s hard to imagine how he does not make us wonder why we ever thought about spending 108m on someone else so we can bench him.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Greenwood, mates. The boy is a super nova of a talent who down the road may be our center forward, but it’s hard to imagine how he does not make us wonder why we ever thought about spending 108m on someone else so we can bench him.
He’s not a CF. If we want to splash out on one, there is a ready made one there already; Haaland

Antony, Saint-Maximin, Dembele in that order. All fit the profile of what we should be looking for - high creativity 1v1 dribblers.

I know ASM starts on the left for Newcastle, but he was brilliant for Nice from the right.

Matt851

Antony, Saint-Maximin, Dembele in that order. All fit the profile of what we should be looking for - high creativity 1v1 dribblers.

I know ASM starts on the left for Newcastle, but he was brilliant for Nice from the right.
ASM would cost too much money given he has recently signed a new contract and he is basically newcastles whole attack

Gabagoo

I was going to write something very similar with exactly the same sentiment about "high creativity 1v1 dribblers". It's been FAR too long since we had one (or two) of those.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
With the current set up and the price tag put on Sancho, think we might feel a bit more relaxed about going in for him. We also showed that by giving Cavani no7. Surely it would be nice to have him but no rush. Let´s offer 70mil next summer and then 50 the summer after, if he doesn´t sign a contract. feck Dortmund. Otherwise we can develop our diamond system further. The signs are very bright. We have a squad full of great midfielders and strikers. No real wingers.

Meanwhile we can alternate there with Greenwood as a RW. We know longterm he´s a striker but he showed he can be superproductive from there too. No reason not to develop some other parts of his game. It´s worth it. Also when he´s not fit we can just play with 2 up top.

Saying all this we should focus to bring in a top CB, cover for Fred/replace Matic, and add a world class RB instead if we feel like. The width will be needed and a lot of running for lads, wing play quality required when playing without wingers..

marktan

ASM played on the right quite a few times towards the end of last season for Newcastle and still looked pretty good. A bit like Nani of old, he can beat a man on the outside and then get into the box.

The only issues are that Newcastle probably will want at least £50m and that we don't seem to be interested in him. But when players like VDB and Jota go for £40m, I think £50m is a reasonable price for him.

R77

I was going to write something very similar with exactly the same sentiment about "high creativity 1v1 dribblers". It's been FAR too long since we had one (or two) of those.
I know it's not a cert and he's young and experienced, but Diallo fits the bill from what I can see. Reminds me of Nani a little. Pellistri seems more conducive to the way we use Mata. Certainly more of a dribbler, but all about cutting in early and link up play. Guess that's part of why folks say he's destined for the middle.

Unless we want to see lots of Dan James, bless him, we definitely need an established vaguely traditional wide player while the younger lads come through. The Sancho thing feels a bit stale, but then again taking multiple windows to get the bigger deals through seems the way we do things. Stil questions about the 'system player' tag too imo, however slight.

What happened to Chukwueze? Touted as an option at one point, but heard nothing of him since.

SAFMUTD

Would rather keep Greenwood as a starter than them to be honest. Antony is a promising player but so is Greenwood, I think if we're going to bring someone it must be a consolidated player since we already bought Diallo and Pellistri. Saint Maximin would be a good punt but I dont think Newcastle would let him go for less than 50-60M.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Does that player must be a winger? Lets ditch winger formation for good and buy Harry Kane.

drmuji

My question is, why is cafe in general doesn't have anything for Ousamane Dembele. I mean, he perfectly fits the profile we want and is available for much cheaper price or possibly on loan.
And if we are taking a punt on Amad guy, then he can be a perfect stop gap (on loan) or a longterm guide if he signs permanently.
The reason I am saying this is, Ronald Koeman doesn't fancy him very much and would prefer Fati over him, and also wants Memphis Depay. Now, I know before I start getting a reply that he is too injury prone, but don't you think it happened only at Barca and not at Dortmund.

R77

My question is, why is cafe in general doesn't have anything for Ousamane Dembele. I mean, he perfectly fits the profile we want and is available for much cheaper price or possibly on loan.
And if we are taking a punt on Amad guy, then he can be a perfect stop gap (on loan) or a longterm guide if he signs permanently.
The reason I am saying this is, Ronald Koeman doesn't fancy him very much and would prefer Fati over him, and also wants Memphis Depay. Now, I know before I start getting a reply that he is too injury prone, but don't you think it happened only at Barca and not at Dortmund.
There's an article about his injury somewhere in his transfer thread that my google-fu can't find.

In short, it's a very problematic injury that could affect the rest of his career, and signing him would be a massive gamble. There's a chance he'll be injury prone forever. When you consider how much he'd cost it's just too much of a risk. Most agree he's an incredible talent and there are very few concerns on that front.

drmuji

There's an article about his injury somewhere in his transfer thread that my google-fu can't find.

In short, it's a very problematic injury that could affect the rest of his career, and signing him would be a massive gamble. There's a chance he'll be injury prone forever. When you consider how much he'd cost it's just too much of a risk. Most agree he's an incredible talent and there are very few concerns on that front.
Ohhhh. I didnt know that. I will google it. Is it a reliable news or The Sun kinda stuff

drmuji

This is what I found
https://en.as.com/en/2020/03/03/football/1583229284_518291.amp.html

Are you talking about this or something else

R77

Thanks mate for the video but this guy is speculating alot, isn't he
Quite possibly, but seems a huge risk for 60-100m (or whatever) either way. A loan with option to buy would've been ideal, and you can see why we went that way.

passing-wind

I rate Sarr at Watford highly
I think he would come good even throw James the other way and say 20 million.

I think Sancho will still be a high priority target unless we stick to what we witnessed against Leipzig and go with two centre forwards. Sancho should ultimately make Ole's preference of the 4231 more viable. While Greenwood is a mercurial talent I don't see him as a winger and that's what we need down the right with a 433 or 4231.

Crustanoid

How about David Brooks?

I heard he comes quite highly spoken of.

We may finally have the person to replace Luke Chadwick

TRossManUtd8

I think he would come good even throw James the other way and say 20 million.

I think Sancho will still be a high priority target unless we stick to what we witnessed against Leipzig and go with two centre forwards. Sancho should ultimately make Ole's preference of the 4231 more viable. While Greenwood is a mercurial talent I don't see him as a winger and that's what we need down the right with a 433 or 4231.
100% agree with everything you stated. In regards to Sarr, I like that he would give us the touchline winger that can beat players off the dribble and get a cross into the box. We do not have anyone on our roster outside of James who can do that. James has a hard time beating a defender unless he has space to run past the defender. Sarr has enough in his locker to beat a player and get a cross in.