Alternatives to Jadon Sancho

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Greenwood with a nice assist from the right and he looks absolutely rapid tonight. I’d say he is a good option right now.
Mason would be a dream signing for the Café if he played for someone else

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I just feel we need a CDM more than a RW which I know probably sounds daft
To me it’s winger, CDM. We can’t keep having Mata on the right as our regular player in the league.

Anything else is bonus. It can be done with 85m or 90m winger + 30m to 40m CDM.

Saint-Maximin isn’t the right choice in my opinion. Lack of end product and too often takes too many touches to dribble means he’s going to prevent our players to make run because they know he won’t pass the ball.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think we need a world class striker more than a RW now. Unless Greenwood moves to the striker role. It all depends what we do with Greenwood.

Keep him out right, then a new striker. Move him as the striker, then a RW.

croadyman

To me it’s winger, CDM. We can’t keep having Mata on the right as our regular player in the league.

Anything else is bonus. It can be done with 85m or 90m winger + 30m to 40m CDM.

Saint-Maximin isn’t the right choice in my opinion. Lack of end product and too often takes too many touches to dribble means he’s going to prevent our players to make run because they know he won’t pass the ball.
The question is can we afford to sign both in the current financial situation though

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The question is can we afford to sign both in the current financial situation though
What’s the difference price between signing CDM, CB & Saint Maximum to 120m for CDM & Winger?

Yes to answer your question, I’m being realistic that our net spend should be around 50m-60m in the current financial situation. 120m spend and selling Pogba for 60m.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

There is not guarantee that spunking a shed load of cash gets you quality. Look at pogba. I feel Sancho would be a similar level of disappointment
And there is no guarantee to spunk the same money for multiple players either. Let me remind you, in 2017, we chose to sign Lindelof & Matic for around 70m because we chose quantity where we could just hold the CDM role and spend the money on Van Dijk only.

drmuji

And there is no guarantee to spunk the same money for multiple players either. Let me remind you, in 2017, we chose to sign Lindelof & Matic for around 70m because we chose quantity where we could just hold the CDM role and spend the money on Van Dijk only.
Depends on what we need and what resources we have. At this moment in time, it is very clear that 3 positions need strengthening.. CDM, RW, CD. All three positions need urgent attention. We just can't keep on saying that we will do this next season. If we get 2 on the price of Sancho, I'll be happy as our team will be more complete.
Having stardust doesn't guarantee success

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Depends on what we need and what resources we have. At this moment in time, it is very clear that 3 positions need strengthening.. CDM, RW, CD. All three positions need urgent attention. We just can't keep on saying that we will do this next season. If we get 2 on the price of Sancho, I'll be happy as our team will be more complete.
Having stardust doesn't guarantee success
I never say there is guarantee in signing Sancho. There is a reason why I put ‘’either’’ in my first sentence.

Who offers better quality for the sake of the team & the system Sancho or Maximin? I think it’s very clear the answer is. I won’t be happy by just signing any name as alternative that is completely different type/style to the original main target just for the sake of covering the winger position. One is more team player and has ability to supply the ball in final third, and the other one is less team player and lacks of end product/final third.

Fans have zero patience and they should understand that building team requires time. Can’t just sign everyone in one transfer window. Of course we can say ‘’we will do this next season’’. Nothing wrong with that.

Multatuli

Supports
Az
Looked very good against us last season, maybe @KirkDuyt and other Dutch posters might give us more insight on his form this season?
Stengs is a really great talent who underperforms. The way he played a year ago was superb. But after his debut in the National team (one year ago) he started to underperform in the normal matches. In the big matches (European and against Ajax) he still played good. This season he had a really bad start but since he played in the National team again (some weeks ago) he is starting to play better again. At this moment United should not buy him. He has to mature more to play abroad. But if he keeps playing well the rest of the season maybe he will be up for it next season.

Multatuli

Supports
Az
He's had a quiet start to this season. So has Boadu. But was great last season after a terrible injury about 2 years ago. 2 assist on his debt for The Netherlands.

They were two big factors behind AZ's push for the title last season. I think they would have won The Eredivisie last season had the league continued.

The Icelandic lad, Guðmundsson, has been in good form for them. Aboukhal too when he starts.

Wijndal is a good prospect at LB. Koopmeiners and de Witt are solid midfield players for them. Both are 22.

AZ are good at snapping up Ajax and PSV's players who aren't deemed good enough.
Boadu is out of shape for allmost a year now. And it is getting worse and worse. He really need to step up his game.

Thank god Gudmundsson is now first striker instead of Boadu. Although he lacks the pace of Boadu he is so much better in controlling the ball, passing, helping players around him to play better and creating chances.

AZ has a good mix of young players and some more experienced players.

The best asset of AZ is the youth academy and then the scouting in Scandinavia. The latest signing Karlsson is superb. Snapping up good players from Ajax and PSV is not where AZ is good at. From Ajax De Wit is a good signing, but the others before him were not.

pascell

Stengs is a really great talent who underperforms. The way he played a year ago was superb. But after his debut in the National team (one year ago) he started to underperform in the normal matches. In the big matches (European and against Ajax) he still played good. This season he had a really bad start but since he played in the National team again (some weeks ago) he is starting to play better again. At this moment United should not buy him. He has to mature more to play abroad. But if he keeps playing well the rest of the season maybe he will be up for it next season.
Thanks for the insight!

dutchred

Stengs is a good player. Very similiar to Ziyech. Plays on the right but is basically left footed. Ziyech spent years at Twente developing before he joined Ajax. Stengs needs the same trajectory. Develop at A and then move on. Potentially a very good player

jamesjimmybyrondean

I really don't know what the plan for RW is now. We missed out on Sancho and spent money on two young but highly rated RWs. It's not as clear as before

These are all the rated or known RWs I could find that we could get: Bernadeschi Traore Stengs Neres Thauvin Pereira Buendia Brooks Tsygankov Sarr Berardi Malcom Sabitzer Chukwueze Asensio Ocampos

Have watched very few of them. But I think some possible good options are

1)Ocampos or Sabitzer - Both have performed either in the big stage or in a strong league

2) Buendia or Brooks - Pl proven and could be cheap and can play in two positions AM and RW which we would be useful if we sell Pogba

3) Pereira - He did very well in the championship and was lively against us. I'd monitor how he performs in the pl as he could be be a cheap punt if West Brom relegates. Can also play AM

4) Asensio - Could be included in a swap deal with Pogba.

5) Mahrez - If City gets Messi maybe he will be available. Don't know

Last edited:

Scholsey2004

It sounds like we're getting Calhonoglu in the summer on a free who could probably play the same role Mata does as an inside right. He's a good age and although he doesn't have the same ceiling as Sancho does he's still a very talented and creative player who works very hard. Obviously Diallo arrives in January as well so along with Greenwood and, perhaps Mata, we'd certainly have good options for that position without having to spend a huge amount which doesn't seem to be on the cards for a while.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Firstly I don't want anyone that will come in and get in the way of Greenwood getting minutes and also, shouldn't we see how quickly Diallo and Pellistri can develop? We may already have the long term answers. But if anyone, then Dembele would make some sense.

In my view, if we have big money to spend, I'd rather it go on another top striker to rotate with Cavani.

Last edited:

Scholsey2004

Ryan Gauld AKA Scottish Messi is doing very well in Portugal at the moment. Lovely dribbler and probably wouldn't cost too much.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Greenwood had done magnificently as RW last season while Pellistri and Diallo are very promising. We should divert the money on other issues including adding a defender with brains and bring in a DM whose not championship level.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Have to take into account what type of RW we want.

A left footed RW with a propensity to cut inside means we will be relying on AWB to overlap and offer attacking threat. Also will crowd the middle areas which I am not sure is the best against low block sides.

Not sure in all honesty, perhaps a right winger, with real pace and close control, a trick and can stand up and commit opposition fullback. Ideally have the opposition feel the need to double up on that player meaning we have a spare man in the middle or on the left.

I like Saint-Maximan as he seems to be able to walk past players. Adama Traore as again, teams are terrified of him and double up, meaning Greenwood, Rashford, Cavani, Martial, Bruno might become a spare man.

If you go another route and get a RW who is really more of an AMC/R I feel you'd have an issue with a pack of width as they'd start to float inside to affect the ball. I like Buedia but feel we have no space for him with Fernandes and Pogba, unless Fernandes pushes into the false nine position. Again probably causing more issues than it solves.

I personally believe the biggest attribute needed is dribbling. Someone who always attacks the fullback. No stopping and backwards passes, a constant threat.

TLDR; buy 2011 Robben.

Personally I think the biggest need is someone right footed, who can, and likes to stay wide. We need to stretch the field of play more than we do, and have someone who runs behind their fullback.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Personally I think the biggest need is someone right footed, who can, and likes to stay wide. We need to stretch the field of play more than we do, and have someone who runs behind their fullback.
A top RW with a top right foot and good delivery would be ideal.

Sancho comes to mind :lol:

At this point we’re potentially better off seeing how Diallo settles in if we’re not going for Sancho.

NYAS

I don’t want any average signings if it’s not going to be Sancho. No Chiesas and his type please.

We have enough talent that may make the position their own in the next season (Mason, Amad, Pellistri) so if it’s going to be someone from outside the club it better be an exceptional talent (Sancho).

This would be even more pertinent if Sancho continues to underperform this season and if we look like being in the race for Haaland.

I have high hopes for Axel as well so I would honestly not be in a rush to buy for RW and CB.

DM though is desperately needed especially when Pogba leaves. We need someone who can both defend and pass at a high level (especially someone who can build up play from deep) basically be a one-man midfield if required: Zakaria and Kalvin Phillips come to mind.

croadyman

Greenwood had done magnificently as RW last season while Pellistri and Diallo are very promising. We should divert the money on other issues including adding a defender with brains and bring in a DM whose not championship level.
Yeah totally agree that those positions need to be the next two signings,would like one in January but pretty certain it won't be until next summer.

Can see where the above poster is coming from in regards to Axel,however think we need someone experienced who can slot straight in.

Last edited:

Longshanks

Jarrod Bowen? Was west ham's best player on Saturday caused us all kinds of problems. Seen him a few times and always looked dangerous. PL proven and could probably be tempted away from west ham, will inevitably be overpriced like all our signings from PL though.

Thoughts?

AneRu

I think Greenwood should be considered as cover/competition for the striker role given Martial's regression this season. However we still have Mata, who is useful against certain teams and Diallo to come in. I would like for us to continue like this, with Greenwood and Diallo coming in on the right or in Greenwood's case as a striker too whilst we commit resources to the central defensive axis.

Investing on a DM and CB should be our priority, we are conceding far too many soft goals and easy chances to ever grow into a title challenging team. Ideally we would sign the DM in January but that ain't happening so we will have to limp along until the summer.

If the scouts have done their job well then Diallo should be hood enough to come in and have an impact similar to what Rashford had when he started out - good impact but a bit inconsistent but that should be enough for now because he would be playing alongside Rashford, Bruno and Cavani.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Jarrod Bowen? Was west ham's best player on Saturday caused us all kinds of problems. Seen him a few times and always looked dangerous. PL proven and could probably be tempted away from west ham, will inevitably be overpriced like all our signings from PL though.

Thoughts?
No thanks. Another Championship player who does well for mid table clubs like West Ham. see Robert Snodgrass

We’ve just invested in Amad Diallo who’s a leftie too, why go for targets like Bowen? Remember the criticism when David Brooks was mooted? And he’s far better

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Would rather give Diallo/Pellestri a go and wait until the Summer to revisit Sancho.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think Greenwood should be considered as cover/competition for the striker role given Martial's regression this season. However we still have Mata, who is useful against certain teams and Diallo to come in. I would like for us to continue like this, with Greenwood and Diallo coming in on the right or in Greenwood's case as a striker too whilst we commit resources to the central defensive axis.

Investing on a DM and CB should be our priority, we are conceding far too many soft goals and easy chances to ever grow into a title challenging team. Ideally we would sign the DM in January but that ain't happening so we will have to limp along until the summer.

If the scouts have done their job well then Diallo should be hood enough to come in and have an impact similar to what Rashford had when he started out - good impact but a bit inconsistent but that should be enough for now because he would be playing alongside Rashford, Bruno and Cavani.
I wonder if you remember when Paul Scholes burst into scene. He came as Eric's cover during the French man's suspension and he did extremely well in the role. Many including myself saw in Scholes the natural heir of Eric. Paul might have lacked Cantona's charisma but he was a little devil upfront with his clever runs and his eye to goal.

It was therefore disappointing to see us buying Sheringham and things went into the pits when Sir Alex decided to move him in midfield. Forwards tend to be selfish players who are hardwired to score goals. Most of them are unsuited to play in a different role especially in midfield where the aim here is to create rather then score goals. Thus such move was deemed risky. The only forward I can think off who moved from the forward line into midfield and make it work was Pirlo. However in that case it was down of saving the guy's career (Pirlo was a football giant in midfield but he simply lacked the killer instinct to make it as a top striker). Paul simply didn't need such move. As the chant stated, Paul Scholes could score goals.
It turned out that Paul would become a better midfielder then he could ever imagine becoming as a striker.

Greenwood is in a similar situation. He's such a great/intelligent talent that he can play almost anywhere with ease. I dare to say that Greenwood is more Ronaldo's territory in terms of potential then Scholes/Gigg's territory. In such circumstances I'd say let's wait and see how things work out. If Diallo does well, then we should play Greenwood upfront. If Diallo/Pellistri do not fulfill their talent then I have no issues with United buying lets say Haaland and we move Greenwood as a RW on a permanent basis. Whatever happen we must make sure that Greenwood keeps playing first team football on a regular basis. That's the reason why PS was moved in midfield and it's the only way that Greenwood can develop his talent.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We should prioritise signing a DM & CB leader but that won't be until next summer either.
Agreed, I think if there is someone available in the DM/CB space in Jan we could go for him. The Fact that Ole has to play Fred and Scott most of the time shows he sees that as a deficiency.

Sea-Cow

Thoughts?
I often overrate the players I only ever see against us, but I was wondering the same during the match. Bowen looked class, in the first half at least. But then again the first half looked like prime Barca vs a championship club.

fergie_god

Asensio for me is my favorite target. He's at a perfect age at 24 and I know hes had a bad year or two but the talent is unquestionable. Can see him being available for 40-50m and usually Madrid rejects end up being bargains. Bowen would be interesting as a squad depth option to take over from Mata but nothing more than that.

Red_Orchestra

Mikel Oyarzabal is a left winger with a dominant left foot, can easily play as a right winger.
We can watch him absolutely terrorize Luke Shaw in the Europa League in February if anyone is interested :)

But on a serious note, after watching Greenwood play on the right for a few months, are we really interested in a straight attacking forward on the right?
There really isn't an all around right winger who is in the Sancho mold, we really f****d that one up.

drmuji

Mikel Oyarzabal is a left winger with a dominant left foot, can easily play as a right winger.
We can watch him absolutely terrorize Luke Shaw in the Europa League in February if anyone is interested :)

But on a serious note, after watching Greenwood play on the right for a few months, are we really interested in a straight attacking forward on the right?
There really isn't an all around right winger who is in the Sancho mold, we really f****d that one up.
Do you really think he was worth that much in the current climate. I think Dortmund were just bullying into buying a player beyond his valuation and as much as I hate to say it, Scrooge McDuck did the right thing by not budging into their demands

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I think people need to understand why Ole wanted Sancho, what Greenwood doesn’t offer but Sancho offers. Creativity, a playmaking ability, ability to create chances or making assists. This is what Greenwood doesn’t have because he’s more of a goal scorer not creator, Rashford is also the same, he’s more of a goal scorer not creator. As a result, we are relying too much on Bruno and the middle area in our playmaking or creating chances. Ole wants something different which the width.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Every other RW alternative is underwhelming. When people say we fecked up by not getting Sancho or not getting another RW, I wonder would they have prefered we over spend once again on a player that isn't worth the price tag? Or would they have preferred us spending money on the other underwhelming alternatives like Sarr or Brooks or Traore rather than getting Diallo and Pellisti?

Anyways if we are still keen on a right winger I think we should monitor Matheus Pereira. He's like a left footed Sancho or a creative winger from the little I've seen and based on highlights. He was one of the best players in the championship and currently playing in the pl so it should be easy to see whether he would add the quality we need on the right.

Last edited:

RkkMan

Leon Bailey has looked really good for Leverkusen this season. He`ll be 24 next year ready for a big move, significantly cheaper than Sancho but a quality player and left footed which IMO suits us more than a right footed RW

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Leon Bailey has looked really good for Leverkusen this season. He`ll be 24 next year ready for a big move, significantly cheaper than Sancho but a quality player and left footed which IMO suits us more than a right footed RW
He's having an amazing season. Has made at least two steps forward if not more since last season. Great development which happened as a total surprise, at least to me. Bailey went through at least two years of really bad form with an occasional good game in between. It was more reasonable to believe that this was his actual level than that he'd rediscover his form of his first year for us.

But he'll probably be gone in the summer if you ask me and by now I'd say he'll be a huge loss.

RkkMan

He's having an amazing season. Has made at least two steps forward if not more since last season. Great development which happened as a total surprise, at least to me. Bailey went through at least two years of really bad form with an occasional good game in between. It was more reasonable to believe that this was his actual level than that he'd rediscover his form of his first year for us.

But he'll probably be gone in the summer if you ask me and by now I'd say he'll be a huge loss.
As a Leverkusen fan how much do you think your club would ask for Bailey if big clubs came in? Would we still be talking Havertz money?