Alternatives to Jadon Sancho

sillwuka

Neto's close control is impressive and he always seems to be the one driving the team forward with urgency.

We should be in for him, not sure on the amount that would prise him away from Wolves mind you

Cathy Ferguson

A drawback with Neto is that he might block the development of Diallo who we bought for 20+15m. Buying Neto for 40+15m in January does not make much sense strategically. Better to focus on a Carrick type or a Ferdinand type. How hard can it be?

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Neto's interesting one working harder then Sancho, more of a powerful direct runner, Sancho with much better close control and playmaking skills though, for 30 mil could be worth a punt, let's wait till the end of the season..

I only watched 5 mins at the end of the game, and saw Neto bombing down the wing. The left wing.

Does he actually play on the right?

lysglimt

Scout
Neto will be playing for a topclub within 2 years. I fear he might end up at Liverpool

NYAS

I only watched 5 mins at the end of the game, and saw Neto bombing down the wing. The left wing.

Does he actually play on the right?
He’s a pure left winger. People on here for some weird reason have convinced themselves he’s a Sancho alternative.

And I’m sure people will say, we can convert him to a RW cutting inside. Well, that’s what we bought Amad for.

People are just high on his performance tonight. Either Rashford is sold or we’re not getting him.

He’s a pure left winger. People on here for some weird reason have convinced themselves he’s a Sancho alternative.

And I’m sure people will say, we can convert him to a RW cutting inside. Well, that’s what we bought Amad for.

People are just high on his performance tonight. Either Rashford is sold or we’re not getting him.
we don’t need another player who can play on the left.

only seea few highlights of him, and they have been down the left or through the middle, and you’ve confirmed he’s a leftie. Doesn’t matter how good he is, that’s about our strongest position.

we don’t want to be converting players, it rarely works - and it just blunts the player.

left wing/ left inside forward must be the most overstocked position in world football.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A drawback with Neto is that he might block the development of Diallo who we bought for 20+15m. Buying Neto for 40+15m in January does not make much sense strategically. Better to focus on a Carrick type or a Ferdinand type. How hard can it be?
I think he would cause Rashford a headache on the left. Neto is a better dribbler than Rashford which is clear to see IMO.

He’s a pure left winger.
He played almost exclusively on the right when he was coming through at Braga - 45 of his 47 games according to FBR. They're a rigid team tactically too - at least their first team are. Even looking at highlight videos at Braga he was almost entirely right wing.

For Wolves he floats and switches with Podence...ends up on the right, through the middle...he's far, far from a pure left winger.

Castia

Neto looks fantastic, he will move to a top club (no disrespect to wolves) within 18 months.

passing-wind

Not exactly sure how Neto is an adequate alternative to Sancho considering Wolves being Wolves will demand a ransom for him.

NYAS

He played almost exclusively on the right when he was coming through at Braga - 45 of his 47 games according to FBR. They're a rigid team tactically too - at least their first team are. Even looking at highlight videos at Braga he was almost entirely right wing.

For Wolves he floats and switches with Podence...ends up on the right, through the middle...he's far, far from a pure left winger.
I’m sure he’s played on the right before but the form which is causing people to drool over him is coming from the fact he’s playing as a left winger. He plays like one as well. That’s what I mean by “pure”; I don’t mean that he won’t end up in other positions. But most of his play is him attacking the opposition RB and then either crossing or shooting. We have no place for him in our team unless he’s happy being a back-up.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I’m sure he’s played on the right before but the form which is causing people to drool over him is coming from the fact he’s playing as a left winger. He plays like one as well. That’s what I mean by “pure”; I don’t mean that he won’t end up in other positions. But most of his play is him attacking the opposition RB and then either crossing or shooting. We have no place for him in our team unless he’s happy being a back-up.
Most of his play this season, in this system has been from the left. He's also signed a new contract less than 2 months ago. Will be Summer 2022 before he goes anywhere.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

He's left footed so fits naturally into the RWF role which is where he was deployed at Braga. But at Wolves he's shown his versatility by playing on the left due to Adama Traore already occupying the RWF role. So it makes sense for Nuno to deploy Neto on the left.

My personal opinion is that we should monitor the progress of the player and if he continues with his good form then make a move in the summer. He's a player that can play on both flanks and along with Diallo could potentially give us a duo of wing players who could interchange positions similar to how Ronaldo and Nani did in prior years which caused opposition defenses many a problem.

frookydinho

Like Neto, but always impressed when hes on the left. Has the air of an old classic left winger about him. The Jimenez injury is a shame, I want to see him with a good 9 and see his output with goals and assists over a full season as he is maturing.

But yeah, he's not a Sancho alternative

Sea-Cow

I know that I am often guilty of overhyping players from their games against us, but hear me out.... Lookman seems pretty decent. Surely he would be a vast improvement on the likes of James, Mata, Lingard, etc.

Last edited:

city-puma

I know that I am often guilty of overhyping players from their games against us, but here me out.... Lookman seems pretty decent. Surely he would be a vast improvement on the likes of James, Mata, Lingard, etc.
He is a very very good forward but I am afraid that he is not as good as United standard by the moment.
The strangest is why Everton give him up so early? He is at least a much better player than Tosun.

croadyman

Despite him not coming on until the second half and generally plays on the LW I will throw in Saint-Maximin, you could see in that little time he was on the pitch tonight that he should be playing at a higher level than Newcastle. Think it says it all that he was their best player when you look at the ratings for the game

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
After James I'm sure many of you would be hesitant about signing a player currently plying his trade in the championship (though he has had a season in the prem) but Buendia is a really wonderful talent. He's significantly better than anyone else in that league (imo), and I'm sure he's destined to end up at a top club.

croadyman

After James I'm sure many of you would be hesitant about signing a player currently plying his trade in the championship (though he has had a season in the prem) but Buendia is a really wonderful talent. He's significantly better than anyone else in that league (imo), and I'm sure he's destined to end up at a top club.
I thought we might move for him in that championship window but obviously Ole is keen to give Amad a proper chance

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I thought we might move for him in that championship window but obviously Ole is keen to give Amad a proper chance
Yeah I agree with you, with having young talent in that position I imagine that if someone was bought in it's going to be a top standard player.
I really enjoy watching Buendia, and while of course the championship is a much lower standard, he's incredible. I think Norwich are a cert for promotion but I wonder if a club will go in for him in the summer.

The-Mezzala

Leon Bailly
Pedro Neto
Harvey Barnes
None of them Sancho level but decent alternatives. But truth be told Diallo could be the real deal from all the reports I have seen

laughtersassassin

Sancho in flying form again. If we was having his current season in our front 3 he would be the best of them.

-Supreme-

Can’t see us buying a RWF now that Diallo is on the books and ahead of where he’d be expected
We need a left winger now and provide strong competitions for Rashford, I feel Sancho is more of a natural fit on the left as he's right footed, but I'd personally prefer Grealish if both are similar priced.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We need a left winger now and provide strong competitions for Rashford, I feel Sancho is more of a natural fit on the left as he's right footed, but I'd personally prefer Grealish if both are similar priced.
Yeah I think grealish is more of a big game player too and has that bit of leadership about him too whereas sancho strikes me as a passive player. Just an impression

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Can’t see us buying a RWF now that Diallo is on the books and ahead of where he’d be expected
With rashford Greenwood martial diallo and cavani plus covid and reduced revenues I'm not sure we will be buying any forwards in the short term (unless martial leaves?)
Certainly there seems to be a lot of expectations on diallo and that has helped it seem less of a transfer priority ... as has some of our centrebacks displays
If the right player at the right price becomes available then perhaps we will make a move but attackers don't seem to be our top requirement at the moment

Lee565

I hope it doesn't come down to this, we would be repeating the same mistake over and over again post fergie of putting too much pressure on young players to consistently deliver.

golden_blunder

Staff
I hope it doesn't come down to this, we would be repeating the same mistake over and over again post fergie of putting too much pressure on young players to consistently deliver.
We’ve spent 40m on him, he’s not going to play u23 for too long

golden_blunder

Staff
With rashford Greenwood martial diallo and cavani plus covid and reduced revenues I'm not sure we will be buying any forwards in the short term (unless martial leaves?)
Certainly there seems to be a lot of expectations on diallo and that has helped it seem less of a transfer priority ... as has some of our centrebacks displays
If the right player at the right price becomes available then perhaps we will make a move but attackers don't seem to be our top requirement at the moment
Yeah? I’m like Fergie I like forwards. But with our centre backs raising their ugly heads (or not in the case of 1 certain cb) it looks like that is now priority

dinostar77

Diallo and Pellestri. We arent going to sign any more right wingers when other areas need addressing.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The fact that Pellestri went on a loan makes me believe that we will get a RW.

passing-wind

There's no way we should be pinning hopes on Diallo who hasn't even made a first team appearance. If anything he should replace James in offering rotation and cover for either side of the flanks. Sancho should and I feel will be the clubs main priority this summer. If it falls through maybe Rafinha via Leeds seems a good option on the right.

The problem is much of the more outstanding wide players this season are operating on the left Grealish, Barnes and Neto spring to mind. If we would have a quality quality right aided player is have no problems with either of those three options.