Alternatives to Jadon Sancho

dinostar77

There's no way we should be pinning hopes on Diallo who hasn't even made a first team appearance. If anything he should replace James in offering rotation and cover for either side of the flanks. Sancho should and I feel will be the clubs main priority this summer. If it falls through maybe Rafinha via Leeds seems a good option on the right.

The problem is much of the more outstanding wide players this season are operating on the left Grealish, Barnes and Neto spring to mind. If we would have a quality quality right aided player is have no problems with either of those three options.
Your forgetting Greenwood at his current age plays off the right. Between him, Diallo, James and maybe Pellestri thats plenty of competition. Left side will still be Rashford, Martial and maybe James. Potentially Diallo and Pellestri. I havent seen either play so not sure how comfortable they are on either flank.

If we dont sign Sancho we arent going to sign any other winger. Finances are tight and Ole will have to prioritise. CB partner for Maguire and competition at RB is a priority for the worse defensive in the top ten of the PL for goals conceeded. A striker to help Cavani is also a priority.

Short of Villa gettin relegated we arent going to be getting Grealish. Not when Vills will want £60-£80mil for him.

Tbh, i dont think we will get Sancho. City will sign Haaland and that will be enough for dortmund to balance the books.

cyberman

B
There's no way we should be pinning hopes on Diallo who hasn't even made a first team appearance. If anything he should replace James in offering rotation and cover for either side of the flanks. Sancho should and I feel will be the clubs main priority this summer. If it falls through maybe Rafinha via Leeds seems a good option on the right.

The problem is much of the more outstanding wide players this season are operating on the left Grealish, Barnes and Neto spring to mind. If we would have a quality quality right aided player is have no problems with either of those three options.
But you cant really rule out 30m Diallo without giving him a chance and signing a 100n asset?

GledTheRed

Raphinha and Neto, the former is a buddy of Bruno from his time at Sporting whilst the latter is his fellow countrymen and we all know Bruno runs shit.

-

MANCHESTER UNITED are plotting a transfer swoop to reunite Leeds winger Raphinha with Bruno Fernandes.

The pair combined effectively at Sporting Lisbon in 2018-19 before both making the switch to the Premier League, Raphinha via a year in France.

The Red Devils are desperate to bring in a new right-winger when the transfer window reopens this summer after failing to land Jadon Sancho.

Mason Greenwood needs competition, Dan James has struggled this season, Amad Diallo is not quite ready and Paul Pogba is not a long-term option out wide.

And according to the Manchester Evening News, they may try and strike a deal with their old rivals.

Leeds spent £16million on deadline day last summer to bring Raphinha, 24, in on a four-year deal from Rennes, whom he helped reach the Champions League.

erm and earned plenty of plaudits for his performances, terrifying defenders with his pace and intelligent movement.

And Fernandes would relish the chance to link up with his former team-mate once again at Old Trafford.

The duo managed a combined 39 goals and 23 assists for Sporting in their one season at the Estadio Jose Alvalade.

Speaking in December 2019, a month before his transfer to United, the Portuguese playmaker told Top Mercato: "Raphinha, I miss Raphinha.

He’s a player with whom I had a different chemistry from the others. He understood me at a glance.

"He knew, according to the movement of my body, where I was going to put the ball to him.

"I also miss him because he brought joy to the locker room. He’s also a responsible and hardworking person."

Marcelo Bielsa is clearly enjoying working with the Brazilian winger, who has also been linked with Barcelona and Liverpool in recent weeks.

'COMPLETE PLAYER'

Ahead of the clash with Arsenal, the Leeds boss hailed Raphinha as the 'complete player'.

He said: "Why has Raphinha done so well for Leeds?

"He's had the opportunity to see what the Premier League is all about and then been able to do what's required of him.

"He's a player with physical, technical and mental resources which have allowed him to compete and has good physical attributes for his position.

"He's quick and he can sustain that over a long distance. Raphinha is also a winger who can dribble and knows when to attack the space in behind. He's a complete player."

Devil may care

If the price drop is true I think we'll get Sancho as Ed will claim a win over Dortmund, I have been impressed with Pedro Neto but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get him out of Wolves.

Wayne's World

If the price drop is true I think we'll get Sancho as Ed will claim a win over Dortmund, I have been impressed with Pedro Neto but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get him out of Wolves.
True I think he'd be a good backup option to Sancho, we need to spend big on a centre-back and try get a top striker in which are more important then Sancho. Not sure how much Jota went to Liverpool but I reckon you'd get Neto for the same price

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Has to be Sancho. No need for for alternative when he's literally a perfect fit in every aspect. Don't overthink this people.

Also I have no idea how people are still putting other positions ahead of a right winger. Greenwood isn't a right winger nor does he compliment Rashford/Martial on the left, with a striker up top. Greenwood should be molded as a center forward and the ideal type to compliment a striker and an inside forward is a more creative support player on the other side. Which is Sancho. So with that... who are our options? People pinning their hopes on an 18 year old with less than 60 minutes of professional football played? Why can't we just sign a winger to start and then develop the 18 year old normally, not expect him to be a key player from day 1? Or using Rashford on the right, weakening the left side as a result? That's where the options end. We haven't signed a right winger in years. Sign Sancho. That's it. Diallo can be his backup, Greenwood can rotate with Cavani, Martial can rotate with Rashford. It's by far the single biggest upgrade we can make to our team. He's 20 years old and a terrific player, one of the best attacking players in the world every year, plays on the right primarily.... Don't overcomplicate things. It's as obvious a signing as it was that Bruno would be an upgrade on Pereira and Lingard. Or far more obvious even.

Last edited:

Devil may care

True I think he'd be a good backup option to Sancho, we need to spend big on a centre-back and try get a top striker in which are more important then Sancho. Not sure how much Jota went to Liverpool but I reckon you'd get Neto for the same price.
What was Jota's contract situation?

Has to be Sancho. No need for for alternative when he's literally a perfect fit in every aspect. Don't overthink this people.
You have to with our board mate.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Sancho, he will give much needed competition to both Rashford and Greenwood.
Plus it could tone down the pressure on both Amad and Pellestri who could both develop at their own pace.

hubbuh

It seems like the stars are aligning to an extent with Dortmund in relative financial disarray. The only issue is that he ranks slightly below the need for a CB and a DM so making three big transfers happen given the financial hit we've also taken feels somewhat fanciful. Without an additional forward I fail to see how we compete next season though, so perhaps Sancho/a forward is just as essential as a CB.

bosnian_red

What was Jota's contract situation?

You have to with our board mate.
Price wise even with our board it should be more than doable! Though I guess they might feck it up. Right now as it stands though everything should be straightforward. We've wanted him for years, his price has dropped, he wants the sale and it affected his form this season, Dortmund know it's time to cash in before the contract situation fecks them plus they might miss out on CL football to compound the issue.
It seems like the stars are aligning to an extent with Dortmund in relative financial disarray. The only issue is that he ranks slightly below the need for a CB and a DM so making three big transfers happen given the financial hit we've also taken feels somewhat fanciful. Without an additional forward I fail to see how we compete next season though, so perhaps Sancho/a forward is just as essential as a CB.
Honestly, RW is the biggest issue by a distance for me and has been for years and will continue to be until its addressed. DM is an issue, but Fred and McTominay can make do (along with whatever happens with the Pogba situation). Van de Beek I'd also expect far more from next season. Fred and McTominay behind Sancho/Bruno/Rashford and Cavani would be a very balanced team though, but yes still a need for eventual replacement (just not this summer, unless Pogba goes). CB is needed but we do have solid options there at least. Right wing we don't have options, but have the perfect player available. So I'd rather swap out a position where we have at best a 4 or 5/10 level option with a 9/10, rather than address a few 6.5/10 positions with someone who isn't the perfect or obvious choice anyway. Sancho is a brilliant player who stylistically suits what we have and what we want for that position, and is only 20 (and up there with any u21 player in the world), and English and has lived in Manchester before. On top of that, he's available and will be at a price that we can afford. Is there an obvious candidate for DM or CB? Not one that is available actually IMO.

hubbuh

Price wise even with our board it should be more than doable! Though I guess they might feck it up. Right now as it stands though everything should be straightforward. We've wanted him for years, his price has dropped, he wants the sale and it affected his form this season, Dortmund know it's time to cash in before the contract situation fecks them plus they might miss out on CL football to compound the issue.

Honestly, RW is the biggest issue by a distance for me and has been for years and will continue to be until its addressed. DM is an issue, but Fred and McTominay can make do (along with whatever happens with the Pogba situation). Van de Beek I'd also expect far more from next season. Fred and McTominay behind Sancho/Bruno/Rashford and Cavani would be a very balanced team though, but yes still a need for eventual replacement (just not this summer, unless Pogba goes). CB is needed but we do have solid options there at least. Right wing we don't have options, but have the perfect player available. So I'd rather swap out a position where we have at best a 4 or 5/10 level option with a 9/10, rather than address a few 6.5/10 positions with someone who isn't the perfect or obvious choice anyway. Sancho is a brilliant player who stylistically suits what we have and what we want for that position, and is only 20 (and up there with any u21 player in the world), and English and has lived in Manchester before. On top of that, he's available and will be at a price that we can afford. Is there an obvious candidate for DM or CB? Not one that is available actually IMO.
Is Greenwood only at best a 4 or 5 out of 10 option for the right-wing? If he is, I think the 6.5 rating for Maguire and Lindelof is somewhat disingenuous. I'm far more confident in what Greenwood can bring to this team than I am in the centrebacks at the moment. Maguire isn't going anywhere for obvious reasons but the situation with him and Lindelof is dire. We're weaker than piss at the back and literally any team in the league knows that if they apply just a moderate degree of pressure then they'll likely score. We've conceded more goals than Brighton, Burnley, Arsenal, and are level with Fulham. I know the 9 goals against Southampton has created a distorted picture in terms of where our attack genuinely is, but I have more faith going forward than I do defensively. Our leaky defence has cost us more points so far this season than our inconsistent attack. A more proactive centreback that is capable of playing on the front foot in a high line will push the entire team forward and should see us put in more performances like the one we did against Everton. I think we'll likely skate over the DM issue this summer and we'll continue to experiment with Fred, McTominay, Matic, Pogba, and Van de Beek as best we can. We lack control so often in the middle of the park though and neither (Fred and McTominay who we'll see most of if Pogba leaves as is likely) are creative enough to compensate when Bruno is off it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Pedro Neto looks a real talent. PL proven, can play across the frontline, and offers something slightly different to what we currently have.

I can't imagine he'd cost an arm and a leg either, like Sancho. I'd say similar fee to what Liverpool paid for Jota, and he's ours.

redrobed

£30m just go and take Aubamayang. He’s got the ability to make a difference right now - will last a few years by which point there will be a new next big thing (or Diallo will be ready) and more importantly than anything at this stage - it’s someone desperate to play for us. Last thing we want is another Di Maria.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Get Grealish, who cares about financial responsibility when the team is probably that one piece away from competing for a title? Sure, City will probably still have an advantage, but Grealish will want to come to United and may even make the transfer easier once there's a concrete offer on the table.

bosnian_red

Is Greenwood only at best a 4 or 5 out of 10 option for the right-wing? If he is, I think the 6.5 rating for Maguire and Lindelof is somewhat disingenuous. I'm far more confident in what Greenwood can bring to this team than I am in the centrebacks at the moment. Maguire isn't going anywhere for obvious reasons but the situation with him and Lindelof is dire. We're weaker than piss at the back and literally any team in the league knows that if they apply just a moderate degree of pressure then they'll likely score. We've conceded more goals than Brighton, Burnley, Arsenal, and are level with Fulham. I know the 9 goals against Southampton has created a distorted picture in terms of where our attack genuinely is, but I have more faith going forward than I do defensively. Our leaky defence has cost us more points so far this season than our inconsistent attack. A more proactive centreback that is capable of playing on the front foot in a high line will push the entire team forward and should see us put in more performances like the one we did against Everton. I think we'll likely skate over the DM issue this summer and we'll continue to experiment with Fred, McTominay, Matic, Pogba, and Van de Beek as best we can. We lack control so often in the middle of the park though and neither (Fred and McTominay who we'll see most of if Pogba leaves as is likely) are creative enough to compensate when Bruno is off it.
I love Greenwood but I don't see him as a right winger at all. He works hard, he's tidy with his passing but he is wasted out there. He barely creates chances for others and he's so far away from where he can cause damage on his own. He needs to be seen as a center forward. And like I said, if we want an inside forward on one wing (be it Rashford on the left or Greenwood on the right), we need a creative winger on the other wing 100%. We don't have a creative winger as it stands. That's why Sancho would be a huge signing. It would bring a higher level out of whoever we choose to use on the other wing to him. And Greenwood with his impact on the right wing, comparatively, really isn't that great. Maguire and Lindelof are decent at best, nowhere close to being good enough to win the title but can be a rough top 4 level (well Maguire IMO can be more, but needs a partners who suits him). Greenwood on the right when we use Rashford on the left just won't work, pretty much ever. You're hoping he scores a screamer from range essentially, as he's being used out of position. As I said, he's a striker, rotate him with Cavani up top and train him as a striker. Our right wing should be Sancho with Diallo backing him up.

I agree with you for the most part, CB is a definite issue, but if we could sign one player this summer who is realistic, it is 100% Sancho. Upamecano is gone to Bayern, and he was the only CB who could rival that IMO. To win the title, we'll definitely need to sort out CB, the 2 midfielders behind Bruno and the right wing with the right players. I'm convinced Sancho is that right player. Is Kounde that guy? Or is he way too short and would we be even more vulnerable in the air? Is Konate that guy, or would he be always injured like Bailly? There is no stand out target for CB, so it might not be worth going all in on someone we don't even know will be an improvement on what we have. Likewise for CM. If we can sign Ndidi for a reasonable amount, it's a great signing and sorts our DM but leaves us with more creativity issues if Pogba goes. But that's not happening anyway. I can understand CB and RW being at a relatively similar level of importance to address, but there just isn't some stand out player available at CB like there is with Sancho being the perfect option to compliment our attack.

bosnian_red

Get Grealish, who cares about financial responsibility when the team is probably that one piece away from competing for a title? Sure, City will probably still have an advantage, but Grealish will want to come to United and may even make the transfer easier once there's a concrete offer on the table.
Would Grealish solve our right wing struggle? Centerback problems? Defensive mid or #8 issues? No, he plays in either of the two positions where we have arguably our 2 most important attackers in Rashford and Bruno. And why on earth is he available? He signed a new contract with his boyhood club last summer, without a release clause. They have billionaire owners. They aren't selling him for any reasonable offer. It's going to take a stupid offer to try and pry him away. Grealish is a pipe dream that is never going to happen for United. Any hopes for him disappeared when Bruno came and hit the ground running as he did.

wolvored

The love in with Sancho on here. Im just a little dubious. Look at the players that have come out of Germany and played well in the Premier league. We had two who were footballer of the year over there, but meh here, then you got the world beaters at Chelsea, except the're not. Also I have watched Sancho playing for England, so out of the german spotlight and he has been average at best, nothing special.
If he comes hopefully i am wrong, but unless that happens, its all speculation he will take us to another level.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We have Amad and Mason for the RWF role and unless we're hell bent on wasting more money for a player on the right then signing a player for the left makes more sense imo. Grealish and Sancho are both right footed so either one would be fine for me with a slight leaning for Grealish. Grealish would also be willing to move if the biggest club in England comes calling.

Foxbatt

How good is Anthony from Ajax? Brazilians and Dutch experts who watch Ajax would have a good view of him.

LuckyScout78

I have thought of. If Sancho is not coming or i would go for others alternatives.

+ Sancho 100 mill euro is not clearly better if United can get this alternative :

+ Marcos Llorente, A Madrid for RM/CAM and maybe for RB in crisis = around 60 mill euro

+ Harvey Barnes, Leicester for LW = around 40 mill euro

Llorente + Barnes = 100 easily beat Sancho alone for 100.

United have Diallo as RW option too. So Llorent/Diallo and Greenwood there in need will work

Line up :

E. Martinez/Henderson

Bissaka/Williams - Bailly/Mengi - Maguire- Shaw

Llorente/Diallo - McTom/Fred - Bruno/Pogba - Barnes /Martial

Greenwood/Haaland?/De Beek - Rashford/Cavani

Goalkeeper = Martinez
RW/RM = Llorente & Diallo
LW = Harvey Barnes
CF = Haaland
CB = Teden Mengi

Two from youth + 4 new

Llorente = 60 mill euro
Barnes = 40 mill euro
Martinez = 30 mill euro
Haaland = 100 mill euro

Sum = around 230 mill

Haaland and Llorente first this summer = 160 mill

Barnes and Martinez summer 2022 = 70 mill

Buy the most needed first and Barnes and Martinez summer 2022. Barnes is only 23 and Martial and Rashford can play there. If Martial is not on a high consistent level until summer 2022. Then i would go for Barnes instead for Martial as LW.

There are mine whole recruitment plan. If im gonna making changes. To strength the team and squad. Towards the goal of winning the league.

And about CB. I do have patience. Will give Bailly, Mengi and Tuanzebe until 2022. To prove that they are the cbs of a winning league team. If not, i will go out and find a new really really good CB.

All from Sancho alternatives to all the positions. Creating and aiming a complete XI and squad.

Judas

Open to offers
The idea that Leicester would sell Barnes to us for around 40m :lol: I've got a sneaky feeling Dortmund will end up selling Sancho for less than what they'd want for Barnes.

croadyman

The idea that Leicester would sell Barnes to us for around 40m :lol: I've got a sneaky feeling Dortmund will end up selling Sancho for less than what they'd want for Barnes.
Still expecting Sancho to be around £75-£80m

Tallis

Oyarzabal has a €70mm release clause. Can play either side or at 10.

Denis' cuff

Ole been saying the owners will back him (riiiiight) but there’s a long term plan. So, loanees returning and pick up potential bargains

no Sancho

no Haaland

trying to recreate co95

croadyman

Saint-Maximin audition is going well and certainly showing he's capable of playing here regularly

Sea-Cow

Saint-Maximin audition is going well and certainly showing he's capable of playing here regularly
Miguel Almiron would be great here. He is fast, works extremely hard, is skillful, and he can play on either the left or right-wing. He gave Shaw a rough time in the first-half, and Shaw has been in great form recently.

romufc

Not this again. We had this incase we didn't sign Sancho last summer.

We surely cannot go through another summer of Sancho, its either we get him or forget about him completely.

The club have very big decisions to make this summer.

saivet

Miguel Almiron would be great here. He is fast, works extremely hard, is skillful, and he can play on either the left or right-wing. He gave Shaw a rough time in the first-half, and Shaw has been in great form recently.
I disagree, Almiron is at his level and nowhere near good enough for a top 6 side in my opinion. A lot of pace and energy but poor decision making / final execution.

Teja

Still expecting Sancho to be around £75-£80m
We were ready to pay that last summer by all accounts, and that was peak COVID uncertainty (financially), so I doubt we'll walk away from that this year.

SAFMUTD

Oyarzabal has a €70mm release clause. Can play either side or at 10.
Didnt looked anything special in the europa league fixture, I wouldnt touch him with a stick for that kind of fee.

spiriticon

The alternative to Sancho is Diallo and Pellistri. Don't get your hopes up guys.

In fact I would say Sancho is now THE alternative to the pair. I would be amazed if we went back in for him this summer.

Sea-Cow

I disagree, Almiron is at his level and nowhere near good enough for a top 6 side in my opinion. A lot of pace and energy but poor decision making / final execution.
Agreed, his black and white stats are not impressive. But I think with United he wouldn't be spending 85% of the match defending, so he would have more opportunities to attack and would almost certainly produce more than he currently does. He would also have Bruno passing to him instead of Jonjo Shelvy.

I don't ever expect us to sign him so I know this is yelling into the void, but I just think he could be very useful here. He would be an instant upgrade on Lingard, Mata, and James. And I think he could be more useful next season as a right-winger than Greenwood and Diallo. Oh well, maybe on FM.

A more realistic option would be Raphinha. He looks like a better version of that Norwich winger that people spoke highly of last season, the Argentine who I can't remember right now.

Matt851

Agreed, his black and white stats are not impressive. But I think with United he wouldn't be spending 85% of the match defending, so he would have more opportunities to attack and would almost certainly produce more than he currently does. He would also have Bruno passing to him instead of Jonjo Shelvy.

I don't ever expect us to sign him so I know this is yelling into the void, but I just think he could be very useful here. He would be an instant upgrade on Lingard, Mata, and James. And I think he could be more useful next season as a right-winger than Greenwood and Diallo. Oh well, maybe on FM.

A more realistic option would be Raphinha. He looks like a better version of that Norwich winger that people spoke highly of last season, the Argentine who I can't remember right now.
Just when I thought this year couldn't get any crazier someone is touting Almiron as a good signing for Manchester United :houllier:

Last edited:

Sea-Cow

Just when I thought this year couldn't get any crazier someone is touting Almiron as a good signing for Manchester United :houllier:
Are you saying that Dan James is better than Almiron? Or this current version of Mata? I guess that could be someone's opinion, but its one I strongly disagree with. So yeah, Almiron would be a great signing.

Matt851

Are you saying that Dan James is better than Almiron? Or this current version of Mata? I guess that could be someone's opinion, but its one I strongly disagree with. So yeah, Almiron would be a great signing.
:lol: you nutcase