Alvaro Fernandez Carreras

jb8521

United are set to sign 17 year old Real Madrid left back Alvaro Fernandez Carreras after he turned down a new deal at Real.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not sure why we sign kids from these parts.
If he makes it, he'll be desperate to go back closer to home like Ronaldo, DDG or Pique were.
I guess that will generate a decent profit but thats not the goal for our academy.

Silas

If he makes it, he'll be desperate to go back closer to home like Ronaldo, DDG or Pique were.
I guess that will generate a decent profit but thats not the goal for our academy.
English players only then?

Weird to mention Ronnie and Dave too. They did/have done a lot for us regardless. And then Pique was unlucky with our options at CB, wasn't just a case of being homesick.

Last edited:

Silas

No. Just not very young ones from Spain that turn into world class players.
Edited my previous post a bit.
I think it's pretty defeatist to assume we'll lose any decent player to Real based on a couple examples. David Silva turned out alright for City didn't he? Doesn't make sense to turn down talent out of paranoia.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, it was terrible signing Ronnie. And I would have preferred the post SAF era to have featured a non-point saving POTY subscriber GK. You're having a laugh. Pique is the only one. Should have held onto him.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
I think it's pretty defeatist to assume we'll lose any decent player to Real based on a couple examples. David Silva turned out alright for City didn't he? Doesn't make sense to turn down talent out of paranoia.
City players are on whatever they books say + whatever is off the books. No one leave City...

This kid looks a good prospect and with shaw and williams we could have three good LBs.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
David Silva was acquired when he had already completed his 'breakout' development phase, probably because he hadn't been feted by Barcelona or Madrid yet. Also because it was the great Pep. And he is on silly silly silly money.

I mention DDG because the (understandable) threat of him wanting to go back home was ever present for a few years. Ronnie was also always going to go: we got 2.5 years of genuine return for 3.5 years of investment.

I can't see why any young Spanish player tutored and developed at Manchester United would want to stay after his breakthrough season, if he got an offer from Barcelona or Madrid. He'd be mad to want to stay. So the whole effort seems like a waste of time to me.

Last edited:

Silas

City players are on whatever they books say + whatever is off the books. No one leave City...
David Silva was acquired when he had already completed his 'breakout' development phase, probably because he hadn't been feted by Barcelona or Madrid yet. Also because it was the great Pep. And he is on silly silly silly money.

I can't see why any young Spanish player tutored and developed at Manchester United would want to stay after his breakthrough season, if he got an offer from Barcelona or Madrid. He'd be mad to want to stay. So the whole effort seems like a waste of time to me.

I mention DDG because the (understandable) threat of him wanting to go back home was ever present for a few years. Ronnie was also always going to go: we got 2.5 years of genuine return for 3.5 years of investment.
Ha, fair enough re: Silva's wages.

Well it could be as simple a reason as us potentially being a better team by the time they start showing interest? Of course, right now it looks like it'd be mad, but who knows where we and Real will be in 5-10 years? Then factor in years of friendships, relationships, and potentially just enjoying the culture. Unless they're diehard, lifelong Barca/Real fans, I don't see why we should worry so much just because of one's nationality. Even in the case that he did happen to go, we'd surely be well compensated for it and equipped to find a suitable replacement.

A lot of the pressure from DDG's side came from his partner, as far as I'm aware. And probably the fact we were mostly shite. Either way, he's still here now (albeit thanks to a fax machine), it's not like the rumours did any tangible harm. On Ronaldo, are you trying to say that those 2.5 years weren't worth it?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Someone will have to play alot of money if he fulfils his potential. And I'm not sure Real Madrid or Barca will pay our asking price for a player playing at fullback.

Madrid and Barca will likely have more than competent fullbacks of their own which would make shelling out a ridiculous fee on another fullback silly IMO.

He probably will want to go back to Spain someday but that doesn't mean he will. I'd be more worried if it was a midfielder, winger or striker that we signed from Spain and he went onto become world class.

khoazany

Can we stop with this bullshit please? Gomes has been with United since he knows how to walk yet doesn't stop him from running out his contract isn't he? We are signing this one for free, at worse he will improve the quality of the academy squad and benefit other prospects as well as you get better by playing with better players. We have Devine who's 1 year older than him and is also a good LB prospect. It's good if Carresras makes it and stays for years, but not as if we ever have to rely on an academy prospect making it, it's always a bonus and there are always others. A good academy should have a wide pool of talents.

MrSingh2002

Doesn't look like a left back at all from the YouTube videos of him. Looks like q clone of Matic so CDM is probably where he'll mature into.

Still want a new left back ready for the first team!

khoazany

It's just normal for a talented fullback to looks like that at youth level. Ethan Laird for example was skining players for fun and Brandon Williams played like a LW most of the times.

He does looks very talened, probably can compete with Devine at U23s level, or we switch to back 5.

Ace of Spades

It's just normal for a talented fullback to looks like that at youth level. Ethan Laird for example was skining players for fun and Brandon Williams played like a LW most of the times.

He does looks very talened, probably can compete with Devine at U23s level, or we switch to back 5.
He reminds me of Matic tbh, the way he plays from the videos of him.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I read this name as agressively as possible, having just binged 3 seasons of Narcos

Robbie Boy

Has the beautiful hair of a young Ramos. Ramos also played as a FB (RB) at times during his youth so this guy is going to be converted into an awesome CB for us.

jb8521

Did this go through then?
None of the new foreign signings apart from Vittek who was technically signed in January are in the country yet as far as I know but I'd expect it will go through

0le

None of the new foreign signings apart from Vittek who was technically signed in January are in the country yet as far as I know but I'd expect it will go through
Cool, thanks.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I just finished watching the highlights of our u18s encounter against Burnley and Carreras made his debut and put in a very good performance at LB. His dribbling in close quarters looked very good along with his passing and natural instinct to overlap to provide support to the forwards. A very encouraging performance that he topped off with a beautiful strike with his weaker right foot to open his goals account at u18 level. It seems he won't be playing at u18s very long if he keeps the same level of performance up in the coming weeks.

SteveW

I just finished watching the highlights of our u18s encounter against Burnley and Carreras made his debut and put in a very good performance at LB. His dribbling in close quarters looked very good along with his passing and natural instinct to overlap to provide support to the forwards. A very encouraging performance that he topped off with a beautiful strike with his weaker right foot to open his goals account at u18 level. It seems he won't be playing at u18s very long if he keeps the same level of performance up in the coming weeks.
Just watched the highlights. Hugely impressive. Tall, pacey, two great feet, shooting, long and short passing. I'd expect him to go into the u21s pretty soon.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Just watched the highlights. Hugely impressive. Tall, pacey, two great feet, shooting, long and short passing. I'd expect him to go into the u21s pretty soon.
I was very impressed with what I saw and i'm extremely intrigued to see how he develops in the coming months.

Red_toad

Kid looked huge, got up and down the pitch with ease, played with his head up and constantly putting intelligent balls into the box. Think Shaw will have some competition very soon if this is how good he is!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
So Devine will miss out then you reckon? How do you rate Devine?