Alvaro Fernandez Carreras

Footy van de Geek

He could be ready for some 1st team involvement by early 2022 if he continues this impressive start to his United career.

A really solid, all round footballer with a good physique. Should take well to senior football.

No wonder Shaw is getting the finger out since Telles and this guy arrived. :lol:

voyasvirta

Looks like he gets caught out a little due to a lack of pace. Conceded a penalty after a bad tackle against Chelsea. That being said he has a good cross in him.

NoPace

I've only seen highlights but what jumps out from them is his composure on the ball and his size and movement looking more like a central player than a wide one. Is he definitely an LB and not a center back or defensive midfielder?

Mickson

I've only seen highlights but what jumps out from them is his composure on the ball and his size and movement looking more like a central player than a wide one. Is he definitely an LB and not a center back or defensive midfielder?
Think of him like Daley Blind. That's pretty much what he is, only a little more power and strength. He's bigger. I think he can play in several positions. Only in our U23 he has played RB, CB, and LB in few games.

NoPace

Think of him like Daley Blind. That's pretty much what he is, only a little more power and strength. He's bigger. I think he can play in several positions. Only in our U23 he has played RB, CB, and LB in few games.
Yeah, and Blind's career would have probably been even better if his lack of pace was put over his being left-footed and he'd just been groomed into a Rafa Marquez/Erik Dier DM or LCB his whole career from say age 20 or 22 or whenever the pedagogical benefit of playing multiple positions goes from a help to a hindrance.

He sounds like a really exciting LCB option to me if he's Daley Blind with power and strength.

voyasvirta

He sounds like a really exciting LCB option to me if he's Daley Blind with power and strength.
We do have an actual LCB in Hardley who's been really good for the u18's. Probably the CB next in line to be promoted to the reserves side.

Mickson

We do have an actual LCB in Hardley who's been really good for the u18's. Probably the CB next in line to be promoted to the reserves side.
Hardley is good but isn't anything very exciting. He's older than both Fish and Fernandez btw and still plays for the U18. Hardley is the new Blackett!

khoazany

Hardley is good but isn't anything very exciting. He's older than both Fish and Fernandez btw and still plays for the U18. Hardley is the new Blackett!
More composed, though less physically imposed than Blackett.

Also I hope we don't mess up another prospect's position ala. Fosu-Mensah.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hardley is quality, doesn’t need to get out of first gear every time I watch him.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Wasn't he injured for a year after he joined? No harm in holding him back a bit if he's not ready to step up yet.

Bertie Wooster

I really like the look of Fernandez.
He has good physical and technical attributes and looks a very promising attacking full back. He already makes some good contributions at both ends of the pitch and I love the gliding ease that he drives forward with the ball: it reminds me of one of my favourite full backs of all time - the Argentine Javier Zanetti. Along with Mejbri, he's quickly become the first name I look for on the U23 team sheet.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What's he been like when he's been deployed at CB (as I've seen mentioned) ?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He has played maybe 10 minutes as a CB. Did fine. Can see him being awesome in a back three eventually.
I've been impressed with his composure, but can't say I've seen much of him. That lack of pace isn't maybe ideal for a full back (Dalot a great case in point) but he's quite tall (1.86 cm) for a full back anyway, and he's left footed...and he looks like Ramos' son :drool:

Mickson

I've been impressed with his composure, but can't say I've seen much of him. That lack of pace isn't maybe ideal for a full back (Dalot a great case in point) but he's quite tall (1.86 cm) for a full back anyway, and he's left footed...and he looks like Ramos' son :drool:
Yeah me too, he's really composed. His lack of pace can be a problem but I can see him being like [Irrelevant point] who is pretty slow too. Fernandez certainly has that edge that he can beat his man. I can see him in a back three, as an LB (has even played RB at United), as a wing-back, and as a center mid too. I think he will be a very good footballer. One to look out for.

We don't play 3 at the back and if he makes it here then being good in a back 3 will be irrelevant.
Thanks for the insight.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not playing well at the moment. Thought he was poor yesterday in some passages of play.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah me too, he's really composed. His lack of pace can be a problem but I can see him being like [Irrelevant point] who is pretty slow too. Fernandez certainly has that edge that he can beat his man. I can see him in a back three, as an LB (has even played RB at United), as a wing-back, and as a center mid too. I think he will be a very good footballer. One to look out for.
Yeah, hopefully that versatility won't hamper him, but rather help him. In terms of those positions, the most likely outcome would be a centre mid, given the way we play. But it's early in his development still. Hoping to see him figure as a centre back at some stage, though it may not happen.

Bertie Wooster

How slow is Fernandez?
He's not quick, but I hadn't noticed him being worryingly slow or anything.

I've really liked what I've seen of him this season, in both the U18's and U23's. Like Hugill he quickly got promoted to the U23's and I think he's performed well at that level so far, especially given his age compared to some opponents.

As others have pointed out, he's better going forward than defending at the moment. But so are most modern full backs. Especially at a young age before they've learned the tactical, positional side of the game.

He has a lot of positive attributes with his height, strength, mobility and very impressive technique on the ball. I love watching his gliding runs forward that remind me of Javier Zanetti at times - my favourite ever non-United defender. His lack of great pace is maybe his biggest weakness, but I've seen slower players make it to the top.

I can see what people mean about his versatility, and potentially playing as a centre back or even midfielder with his height, strength and technique. But I like what I've seen of him as an attacking left back so I hope he mainly focuses on developing that part of his game first and foremost.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Good performance today from him and I thought he was our best player tonight.

Bwuk

I really like him. I can see why Madrid were gutted to lose him.

Doesn’t have the explosiveness that a lot of modern full backs have, but has great technique.

prateik

Just saw the Ronaldo training video.. looks like he is training with the first team now..

How has he been?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He is a promising young player, very mature for his age, has a lot of quality on the ball and a good shot. There is no reason to 'get rid' at this stage just because he has to work on his defensive game.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Exactly.

edit: I was being sarcastic to the "can't defend" comment.
Aha!

Anyway, the criticisms of his defensive game are valid. He needs to work on this. I like him though - from the very early few games he showed a lot of class.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It is a fact. What are you talking about?
He's brilliant going forward and very bad defensively.
Christ! He's 18. What facts are you talking about? He is in the development phase of his career. So there is nothing definitive about your 'fact'.

Mickson

He is a player I would pay to watch, and I do not say that lightly. I think he will end up as [Irrelevant point], a wing-back, or maybe even a CM. He is a baller. He also reminds me a bit about Daley Blind and he has played CB for U18 and U23. A terrific footballer that will succeed in his career.