Alvaro Morata

prateik

Of course it makes sense.

There are two different clauses in Morata's contract:
One determines the fee Real Madrid have to pay Juventus in case they want Morata back. The exact fee is determined by the number of games Morata played for Juventus.

The one I was referring to is a different one. Juventus is free to sell Morata to anyone but if they do before July 2017, they have to pay Real Madrid €80m. You find these types of clauses in many contracts - with the notable difference that usually the previous club gets a percentage of the fee and not a fixed amount as written in Morata's contract.
For example Chelsea got 20 or 25% of the fee Manchester City paid Wolfsburg for Kevin de Bruyne.
A sell on clause is different from a 80m payout for any transfer fee. I find that part very hard to believe.
Any source for that? because the one I found in english says that is the termination clause. Can anyone read the contract in spanish and translate?

If Madrid had a sell on clause which gave them a large % of any transfer, it would make sense.

But there is no mention of that.

Anyway. If its true, Juvetus are mugs for agreeing to such a deal.. well.. they effectively got a decent player on loan for 2-3 season.. but its still not the kind of deal a top club makes.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
A sell on clause is different from a 80m payout for any transfer fee. I find that part very hard to believe.
Any source for that? because the one I found in english says that is the termination clause. Can anyone read the contract in spanish and translate?

If Madrid had a sell on clause which gave them a large % of any transfer, it would make sense.

But there is no mention of that.

Anyway. If its true, Juvetus are mugs for agreeing to such a deal.. well.. they effectively got a decent player on loan for 2-3 season.. but its still not the kind of deal a top club makes.
It was reported as I described it in German media; here's an article in English which is in tune with German media:
http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/tran...-madrid-running-out-of-time-to-re-sign-alvaro

I agree with you that it's amazing Juventus agreed on such a deal but it's actually smart by Real Madrid; at least until July 2017 they hold all the cards.

Brophs

The One and Only
There's no way Madrid get €80m if they sell before 2017. It makes no sense.

Zoo

Manchester United, Arsenal and PSG lead chase for £40m Álvaro Morata
• Real Madrid to buy striker back from Juventus and then sell him on
• Chelsea also interested in Morata but Spaniard favours Manchester United

Real Madrid have decided to activate their £23.6m buy-back option on Álvaro Morata, but will then sell him on to the highest bidder with Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain all interested in the forward.

The player, who has been with Juventus for the past two seasons, would favour a move to Manchester United, especially if José Mourinho takes over at Old Trafford in the summer, and would prefer a move to the Premier League rather than Ligue 1. However, the decision may be taken out of his hands if PSG outbid the three English clubs.

There have been reports that Leicester City, Napoli, who have approached the player, Inter and Milan are also interested but the player’s representatives have ruled those options out for the time being. The new Chelsea manager, Antonio Conte, would like to sign the striker, having brought him to Juventus in 2014 only to quit the club a few weeks later, but any move from Chelsea will depend on whether Diego Costa remains at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho worked with Morata at Real Madrid for three seasons, with the Portuguese giving the player his first-team debut against Real Zaragoza in 2010. Morata said later: “Mourinho could have chosen some other player, but he chose me and I’ll be grateful to him for the rest of my life.”

Manchester United will make a decision on Louis van Gaal’s position after the season with the team still having a chance to finish fourth in the Premier League with one game remaining before facing Crystal Palace in the FA Cup final a week on Saturday.

Morata started out at Atlético Madrid before spending a season at Getafe in 2007-08. He then joined Real Madrid, where he scored 10 goals in 37 league games in two seasons, before moving to Juventus in 2014, where he won two league titles and reached the 2014-15 Champions League final.

Real Madrid were always leaning towards activating the buy-out clause and have now made a final decision on that. Where he plays next season, however, is far from certain.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...al-chelsea-psg-alvaro-morata?CMP=share_btn_tw

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why did he have an underwhelming season? He was good last year.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Are Real allowed to buy players?
I thought the appeal against the ban was supposed to be before the summer transfer window opened - so potentially they cant register players?
Or would it not count if they just planned to buy and sell on?
IIRC I think they appealed the decision, which gives them an opportunity (this summer) to buy a few players until the appeal is binned. Then the ban applies again.

I think Barca did similar.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
IIRC I think they appealed the decision, which gives them an opportunity (this summer) to buy a few players until the appeal is binned. Then the ban applies again.

I thought Fifa had promised that this time the appeal would be heard before the summer to prevent the Barca situation... though it is Fifa and what they say probably shouldn't be trusted anyway

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I thought Fifa had promised that this time the appeal would be heard before the summer to prevent the Barca situation... though it is Fifa and what they say probably shouldn't be trusted anyway
Well they better get a move on then

Crossie

Supports
It's been written that the cases - Atletico faces a similar situation - should be decided before the transfer window opens on 1st of July.

Ole90+3

7 goals is a poor return from 16 starts, 17 sub appearance, especially for such a dominant team in their league.

How come he only has 16 starts? Did he have a injury setback this season?

He was pretty much Juve's main man last season.

Cassidy

7 goals is a poor return from 16 starts, 17 sub appearance, especially for such a dominant team in their league.

How come he only has 16 starts? Did he have a injury setback this season?

He was pretty much Juve's main man last season.
And only got 8 league goals....

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Aargh thanks for the info man. I wasn't aware, though it would make sense. They're just appealing to abuse the system a bit. I doubt it'll be finalized before 01 July though but hopefully it is. Though it would probably put a stop to any Madrid departures too.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Of course it makes sense.

There are two different clauses in Morata's contract:
One determines the fee Real Madrid have to pay Juventus in case they want Morata back. The exact fee is determined by the number of games Morata played for Juventus.

The one I was referring to is a different one. Juventus is free to sell Morata to anyone but if they do before July 2017, they have to pay Real Madrid €80m. You find these types of clauses in many contracts - with the notable difference that usually the previous club gets a percentage of the fee and not a fixed amount as written in Morata's contract.
For example Chelsea got 20 or 25% of the fee Manchester City paid Wolfsburg for Kevin de Bruyne.
I reckon Morata could successfully sue Madrid if there were such a clause. No way that holds up in court.

izec

Do not want. Not a regular Juve watcher, but it always looked to me like he can go from one game being absolutely brilliant to the next being absolutely shit.

RedRover

I reckon Morata could successfully sue Madrid if there were such a clause. No way that holds up in court.
Is this opinion based on any legal knowledge at all? I see no reason why those kid of clauses wouldn't be included in contracts as a matter of course.

Whether a contract "holds up in court" largely irrelevant. A player has a finite career and court cases can take years to resolve - especially in jurisdictions like Italy which can be notoriously slow. I suspect players wouldn't want to get involved in that kind of thing in case they're left kicking their heels on the sidelines.

When Arsenal made a bid of £40 million plus £1 they believed they had activated a clause in his contract (I suspect upon a review of it and having taken legal advice). Liverpool said they hadn't and I'm sure John Henry made some comment that they didn't believe the player, or Arsenal had the stomach for the legal fight. Tells you a lot about how these things actually work. Nobody want's to go to Court - it's very expensive.

Red_toad

Hearing is before the window opens. No appeal as have had months to get a case to defend themselves. They'll get banned, broke transfer rule just like Barca.

Devil may care

I think he'd be a break out star here, big game striker with the speed and physical capabilities to play in the PL.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
So what it the deal with Morata? How come he hasn't been getting that many games for Juve this season? He's looked class whenever I've seen him play

When Arsenal made a bid of £40 million plus £1 they believed they had activated a clause in his contract (I suspect upon a review of it and having taken legal advice). Liverpool said they hadn't and I'm sure John Henry made some comment that they didn't believe the player, or Arsenal had the stomach for the legal fight. Tells you a lot about how these things actually work. Nobody want's to go to Court - it's very expensive.
In England buy out clauses aren't that common, whereas they are in Spain. In Spain if you offer the buyout clause, if the club say no there is a way round. I believe you pay the money to the Spanish FA, who then have the power to terminate that players contract and allow you to sign him. With Suarez Liverpool knew that it would have to be Suarez who would need to take things further, he wasn't willing to do that as he might have spent 6 months on the bench. We would have won the case but the player was unwilling to take things further. We should have just offered them the £45m-£50m they wanted, that is a discussion for another day....

Crossie

Supports
Hearing is before the window opens. No appeal as have had months to get a case to defend themselves. They'll get banned, broke transfer rule just like Barca.
I'm confused. Do you have a source? So do you mean Real didn't file an appeal or that the appeal as such was rejected? According to this article
http://as.com/diarioas/2016/01/26/english/1453810864_136217.html Real filed an appeal, and IIRC they said so on twitter and their website as well.

Cassidy

I'm confused. Do you have a source? So do you mean Real didn't file an appeal or that the appeal as such was rejected? According to this article
http://as.com/diarioas/2016/01/26/english/1453810864_136217.html Real filed an appeal, and IIRC they said so on twitter and their website as well.
I think he means the appeal hearing is scheduled for before the window opens, and there will be no subsequent appeal allowed. Haven't seen a source for this though

Crossie

Supports
I think he means the appeal hearing is scheduled for before the window opens, and there will be no subsequent appeal allowed. Haven't seen a source for this though
If I understand correctly and the AS article is right, then Real and Atletico can still proceed to CAS in case FIFA reject the appeals. I'm far from an expert on these matters and am wondering why there seems to be no recent update on the situation by the media. It's obvious that many transfer could be affected by ban or no ban, either directly or indirectly.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
And only got 8 league goals....
And this in a league in which mediocre strikers like Ciro Immobile, Jeremy Menez, and Dani Osvaldo or old men like Luca Toni and Di Natale have scored lots of goals in recent seasons.

I can't think of a single recent case of an attacking player that struggled to find the net in Serie A coming to the Premier League and scoring more.

A lot of Arsenal fans are talking themselves into Morata. I just don't really see it.

Devil81

He doesn't score enough goals, I love his work ethic but he needs more goals to his game.

RedRover

So what it the deal with Morata? How come he hasn't been getting that many games for Juve this season? He's looked class whenever I've seen him play

In England buy out clauses aren't that common, whereas they are in Spain. In Spain if you offer the buyout clause, if the club say no there is a way round. I believe you pay the money to the Spanish FA, who then have the power to terminate that players contract and allow you to sign him. With Suarez Liverpool knew that it would have to be Suarez who would need to take things further, he wasn't willing to do that as he might have spent 6 months on the bench. We would have won the case but the player was unwilling to take things further. We should have just offered them the £45m-£50m they wanted, that is a discussion for another day....
In Spain you also have to pay the tax on top I believe. Clauses are required as I understand it to comply with Spanish employment law.

As regards Suarez - that's the point I was making. I am a litigator by trade and it's always a last resort. It's expensive, time consuming and however strong your case is, there's always an element of risk.

You might say not getting Suarez was a key moment for Wenger. He'd have won them a title I think. As you say a discussion for another day.

R0nald0

Under a rug on top of a mountain under the stars.
These buy-backs are relatively common place in Spain and Barcelona have profited the most from it. Recently they did a similar deal when they sold Bojan to Roma. The deal was that they could buy him back for £1m more than they sold him. If Roma blocked this or sold him elsewhere, Roma had to pay Barca an extra £28m on top of the £12m they originally paid for him. Deulofeu and Denis Suarez also have buy-back agreements

Deleted member 101472

@carvajal Is this true with regards Real Madrid buying him back just to sell him? what are you hearing?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
And this in a league in which mediocre strikers like Ciro Immobile, Jeremy Menez, and Dani Osvaldo or old men like Luca Toni and Di Natale have scored lots of goals in recent seasons.

I can't think of a single recent case of an attacking player that struggled to find the net in Serie A coming to the Premier League and scoring more.

A lot of Arsenal fans are talking themselves into Morata. I just don't really see it.
Graziano Pelle. Managed only 19 goals in just under 100 games in Italy and has hit double figures in both seasons in the PL.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Graziano Pelle. Managed only 19 goals in just under 100 games in Italy and has hit double figures in both seasons in the PL.
That's a good shout. Although even Pelle spent most of his prime years in Holland before coming here.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I don't rate him at all. Seems bit of a workhorse rather than proper quality.

prarek

Morata is a striker who's not very good at scoring goals..

3KDré

If we are going to go for a young promising attacker I'd rather it be Janssen or Embolo. Preferably Embolo.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The clause is perfectly fine I think , and I believe Barcelona used a similar one for Bojan with Romania. Basically, it makes the sale effectively like a loan deal. They sell a promising player for below what his market value is, or his potential value is anyway, on the premise that he if he becomes this player,they can buy him back at a rate that reflects their initial generosity. If the club wants to go a different direction, then they will demand the fee they probably think they could have before.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He's been class whenever I see him, but I can't work out why he doesn't get that many goals.