Alvaro Morata

croadyman

Us signing a stop gap now doesn't stop us from going after one next summer... Ronaldo is either gone this summer or next. We are blatantly short of attackers even if he stays, so it's not a bad idea. We had 1 injury and had to play Eriksen with Ronaldo not being match fit. He's 37, Martial is injury prone. A forward is needed.

Also - the hope is that we can just get multiple deals done, but here we are. I honestly would be quite happy with Rabiot and Morata in the next few weeks. If would address 2 big issues in our squad, a DM finally and a forward like Morata would work well for us. Ideally, we could also add De Jong to that, but that's unlikely. Rabiot and Morata and I think we could get a decent season going and at least not have a massive hole in the team (or have hopes that the holes are addressed).
Yeah it seems we are just looking for someone who can offer something different to Ronaldo, fully expect us to go all out for full package ST when he leaves.

croadyman

Imagine being told at the start of summer that our main attacking targets would be Arnaoutovic and Morata.

Makes you feel sick.
I think it looks underwhelming because people thought we would be looking for starter strikers but that's not the case

Castia

I think it looks underwhelming because people thought we would be looking for starter strikers but that's not the case

If Ronaldo stays we have Ronaldo and Martial for the striker position I thought we was on the right track looking for a wide attacker like Antony

As it stands Elanga is probably going to play 20+ games this season because outside or Rashford (out of form for 18 months) and Sancho we have feck all.

He's also going to cost £29m it's not even a cheap deal.

Last edited:

croadyman

If Ronaldo stays we have Ronaldo and Martial for the striker position I thought we was on the right track looking for a wide attacker like Antony

As it stands Elanga is probably going to play 20+ games this season because outside or Rashford (out of form for 18 months) and Sancho we have feck all.

We also apparently put a 60M+ bid for Nunez at the start of the summer so again we just don't know what we're doing.
When will people realise we couldn't afford Nunez and De Jong, we have made our choice and now have to get it done.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to still see a move for Antony in Jan or next summer, just remember what he said in Erik's farewell video. I suspect you are going to say no but would you take Ziyech late in this window.

Castia

When will people realise we couldn't afford Nunez and De Jong, we have made our choice and now have to get it done.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to still see a move for Antony in Jan or next summer, just remember what he said in Erik's farewell video. I suspect you are going to say no but would you take Ziyech late in this window.

Morata is going to cost £29m that's not a quick fix for a season is it. Absolute rip off. Mate if we sign Morata and Ziyech we are a laughing stock.

If we knew the budget was this limited then why the hell wasn't we in for the likes Kamara on a free, we all presumed at the start of summer we had bigger plans and we've been left bidding for a load of rubbish nobody else wants.

Makes you wonder if the budget is this tight why we spunked 55m on Martinez doesn't it when we have Varane and even Lindelof on the bench.

RyRy11

I'll take a loan with a buy option, if he performs well enough for the price touted then that seems sensible. He is currently not worth £30m

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
You can clearly see he has top footballing abilities, in that he can do pretty much everything as a forward and at the highest level. Unfortunately, he lacks the mean instinct any striker at any level really has, he also lacks consistence.

croadyman

True. If we do pull off de Jong, I'd have a lot more faith in our negotiation team.
Yeah would be a signing to attract top talent in next couple of windows, however we need to get back in Champions League to make it happen.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Morata is going to cost £29m that's not a quick fix for a season is it. Absolute rip off. Mate if we sign Morata and Ziyech we are a laughing stock.

If we knew the budget was this limited then why the hell wasn't we in for the likes Kamara on a free, we all presumed at the start of summer we had bigger plans and we've been left bidding for a load of rubbish nobody else wants.

Makes you wonder if the budget is this tight why we spunked 55m on Martinez doesn't it when we have Varane and even Lindelof on the bench.
Because Kamara is a limited footballer
Lindelof has had 6 years to prove he’s good enough, he’s proven the opposite
Varane is injury prone and struggles with fitness

Castia

Because Kamara is a limited footballer
Lindelof has had 6 years to prove he’s good enough, he’s proven the opposite
Varane is injury prone and struggles with fitness
But so are the players we're linked with?. There's not a player baring FdJ that we are linked with who isn't limited.

Lindelof isn't great but in the grand scheme of things with a limited budget Id be happier playing lindelof for the season than the likes of Arnaoutovic or Morata.

golden_blunder

Staff
But so are the players we're linked with?. There's not a player baring FdJ that we are linked with who isn't limited.

Lindelof isn't great but in the grand scheme of things with a limited budget Id be happier playing lindelof for the season than the likes of Arnaoutovic or Morata.
Arnaoutovic I agree with

FDJ isnt limited on the ball, neither is Rabiot or sms

just because a player was free doesn’t make him a good fit

Castia

Arnaoutovic I agree with

FDJ isnt limited on the ball, neither is Rabiot or sms

just because a player was free doesn’t make him a good fit

22 year old playing for France and Villa in the PL he's got loads of room to develop and I bet come the end of the season he will be seen a great signing.

Look my point is when you're looking at bargain bin signings this late in the window you will struggle. There's been loads of decent midfielders go this summer for reasonable prices, Bissouma for 26m would comfortably be our best midfielder.

Anyway we're off topic, I just cant believe after 3 months of summer the names we're being linked too.

golden_blunder

Staff
22 year old playing for France and Villa in the PL he's got loads of room to develop and I bet come the end of the season he will be seen a great signing.

Look my point is when you're looking at bargain bin signings this late in the window you will struggle. There's been loads of decent midfielders go this summer for reasonable prices, Bissouma for 26m would comfortably be our best midfielder.
And that’s a chance we probably didn’t want to take after greenwood and I can understand that. Remains to be seen how he will pan out as a player but i take your general point about other players being available for cheaper, however as we have seen as soon as United are mentioned the price goes up

DeGea’sFeet

It looks crap because we thought we’d actually fixed our recruitment, but instead we’re making the same type of signings we were making 5 years ago, but only now when the players are 5 years older.

DeGea’sFeet

Man Utd in the transfer market are basically like Skyler trying to negotiate with Walter.

AFC NimbleThumb

And that’s a chance we probably didn’t want to take after greenwood and I can understand that. Remains to be seen how he will pan out as a player but i take your general point about other players being available for cheaper, however as we have seen as soon as United are mentioned the price goes up
Why are you so convinced the main reason we didn’t get Bissouma is Greenwood? You’ve mentioned it a few times. Given we almost signed Arnautovic, the notion that we didn’t get after Bissouma because of Greenwood doesn’t seem logical.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You are talking about Gakpo like he is a trash player without no potential.

Lets agree to disagree i guess.

Easier to integrate young players into a system than a older player used to play in a different way.
From what I have seen he looks worse than rashford. Hundreds and hundreds of players have potential. That doesn't justify a 50m drop.

userman

There are not many options available.

i would prefer to sort out our midfield first as this has been our biggest issue for the past 3/4 seasons.

Accordingly, if we want depth, I would go for Memphis and spend all what we have on midfield reinforcements.

If we get Memphis and if Ronaldo leaves, we would have Memphis / Martial for striker position. If desperate, Rashford and Elanga can play there. Also wouldn’t mind seeing Bruno playing as false 9.
Yesterday I was somewhat disagreeing with you, but not anymore. I say feck it, let's go, it can't get much worse really.

Good answer though, and good reasoning behind it. Personally I would prefer a loan deal, i.e. Morata, over something permanent given the options available.