6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil81

In a pandemic yes considering we were telling everyone we couldnt afford to improve the squad in the way needed. We brought in 3 players who have hardly contributed this season for a fee that we could have used to bring in someone who could contribute
Thinks it was a case of buying him before he broke into their first team and his value skyrockets.

Not only that you the get other clubs showing an interest.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Thinks it was a case of buying him before he broke into their first team and his value skyrockets.

Not only that you the get other clubs showing an interest.
Which quite clearly wasnt the priority this summer unless you think a 34 year old striker on a free and a CM the manager clearly didnt really want was good enough

laughtersassassin

This is so true. And it's not a dig at Ole at all.

Sancho was ready for the PL when he left. Foden was ready well before he started playing a lot. Pogba was ready for much more minutes than he got which is also why he left.

Premier League teams have a habit of going with tried and tested players regardless of their form.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was set to go on loan to Parma this season. It would have been his big breakout and Atalanta would’ve sold him for 30m to one of the big Italian sides like they did with Kulusevski just before him.

Nick7

I'm quite critical of Ole and excited for Amad to show what he's capable of but that's bollocks really. He's only been at the club a few months, even older players than him like VDB and Fred struggled to get much game time in their first few months at the club. Bruno is really the only one I can think of that came from another league and settled into the team straight away that I can remember in the last while. Amad is a completely different case than Hudson-Odio, Sancho, Pogba, or Foden.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Amad will get his chance, he has showing glimpses of his talent. He is extremely young and still adapting to a new culture. All of United's current games are must win so not overly fair on the kid to be throwing him in right now. I am sure he will start a handful of games when second is effectively secured.

macheda14

Sancho was ready for the PL when he left. Foden was ready well before he started playing a lot. Pogba was ready for much more minutes than he got which is also why he left.

Premier League teams have a habit of going with tried and tested players regardless of their form.
Hudson Odoi I'll give, because I think he's been physically ready for a while, but someone like Amad and even Foden are/were too lightweight for a while. People point to players like David Silva, Juan Mata (chelsea version) as proof that smaller players can boss this league. People forget how strong players like them actually are. Yes they are small, but they aren't easily pushed off the ball - they came to the league as 23/24 year olds, so fully grown men. You look at the few games Amad has played and he is being eased of the ball a bit easily at times, that comes with gym work. Look at the difference between Mason at the beginning of the 19-20 season to the end of that season and even now. Beginning of 19-20 he was struggling to compete physically, now he his. Now Foden is.

The prem is a powerful powerful league if its anything. Pretty much every player who comes here says that. Look at Werner, when he joined immediately he said 'Yeah, Premier League is different football because I think defenders... I have never played against three defenders like this so tall, so big massive defenders.'

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

I don’t watch the BL but a few posters are saying that Dortmund are struggling to make the CL spots because they insist on playing Bellingham in every game and that’s an easier league. I do agree though about the endless bedding in. We could be more aggressive with the rotation, minutes in the cups and at the end of league games. If he’s still not going to play much next season he should be loaned out. Arguably Pellistri has caught up with him with his performances out on loan. Pre season will be interesting this year with Garner and Pellistri returning.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

Not totally bought by this. In Germany, there are definitely similarities to the English game, but you don't have as many top clubs as you do in the EPL. Bayern and Dortmund are definitely up there with the best the EPL has to offer, arguably better, but after that you're looking at sides that would struggle to finish in the top half in all honesty. Add to that the amount of exposure and scrutiny you come under in the Premier League, along with the financial impacts of a bad season are potentially groundbreaking for many clubs, and it's never as simple as just letting players go out there and play to their talents.

There is so much more required to perform at a high level in the EPL other than talent alone. The Bundesliga is a great option for young English players to develop as there are clear similar footballing mentalities and ethoses, with far less pressure on their shoulders.

I think it's impossible to make the claims you have about the readiness of Sancho, Foden and Pogba. Foden is exactly where he would want to be at this point in his career, so you would have to say he's been handled well by Pep who - during that same time - has consistently brought in trophies. At City, going into the 17/18 season, Sancho was behind the pecking order of Sane, Sterling, Jesus, Silva (x2), De Bruyne, with an undroppable Aguero leading the line. He was never going to get many minutes then. He was 17 at the start of the season. Pogba probably could have had more minutes during meaningful periods that season, but if anyone was the master at bringing through youth players for us, it was SAF. If he didn't think he was ready for the EPL, he wasn't ready.

Also, in the tweet you've shared, having watched Hudson-Odoi for Chelsea this season it's clear he's not ready for a regular starting place. He probably should have left a season or so ago.

luke511

May as well get the minutes in whilst the stadiums are empty, young players are benefitting from this currently.

saivet

I don’t watch the BL but a few posters are saying that Dortmund are struggling to make the CL spots because they insist on playing Bellingham in every game and that’s an easier league. I do agree though about the endless bedding in. We could be more aggressive with the rotation, minutes in the cups and at the end of league games. If he’s still not going to play much next season he should be loaned out. Arguably Pellistri has caught up with him with his performances out on loan. Pre season will be interesting this year with Garner and Pellistri returning.
I'm not sure that's the case. I think they Witsel being injured for a good chunk of the season and them playing Emre Can at RB or CB has been a bigger issues Their defence and keeper have been much pretty poor from the games I've seen.

Raven

Amad Would definitely play more in Germany but when was the last good transfer that came out of there? I genuinely can't remember the last one who didn't flop. The league seems extremely flattering on attackers and has led to a huge amount of high priced duds.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I'm not sure that's the case. I think they Witsel being injured for a good chunk of the season and them playing Emre Can at RB or CB has been a bigger issues Their defence and keeper have been much pretty poor from the games I've seen.
I think Bellingham looks like a super talent but he wouldn’t have got nearly as many starts here this year and they’ve gone further in the CL than we could manage. The EL will probably be a great learning curve for him next year. Really good kids are going to take a lot more persuading to come here when we can’t offer first team football every week. I think we need to start thinking like the Spanish clubs and start loaning out these expensive youngsters rather than the safe bedding in over a season or two which is holding us back a little. Bellingham looks like he would have been a Pogba replacement to me. No doubt we will be annoyed now over the years we couldn’t close the deal but the player made the right call at the end of the day and we can still probably afford him if he wants to move in a few years.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

How is it true? Amad has barely featured in Italy and is now plunked mid season in a new country. What exactly is the expectation here?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I don’t really see how CHO & Amad’s positions are comparable. CHO has been on the outskirts of Chelsea’s team for about 3 years. Amad joined us 3 months ago, and wasn’t playing much in Italy either. Does Italy have a distrust of young players also?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Amad Would definitely play more in Germany but when was the last good transfer that came out of there? I genuinely can't remember the last one who didn't flop. The league seems extremely flattering on attackers and has led to a huge amount of high priced duds.
Aubameyang has done alright at Arsenal.

Shimo

Strange they are talking about whether Amad would start in the game tomorrow when he doesn't even get minutes ahead of James for the most part.

Think for Amad this season, he needs to just hope we get into a position in the league where top 4 is pretty much nailed on or some games where we are comfortably ahead. Get whatever chances he can get and then in the summer/pre-season hopefully show enough to start warranting time ahead of James at the very least and push Greenwood for starting on the right.

M Bison

Supports
York City

Same with Garner IMO

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!

Flip side of this is Dortmund are massively struggling this year and looks odds on to miss out on champions league because of it.

the difference is the quality of the league and the expectation of fans.

There are So few easy games these days, and so it’s difficult to give young players game time.

it’s clearly easier for players to go to germany and get game time, it’s a less competitive league.

Bellingham wouldn’t play the number of games he has for any side in the top half of the PL.

It’s a difficult problem to resolve.

furthermore when the average lifespan of a manager is so short in the PL, there’s little incentive to invest in the future. Instead they focus on winning the next couple of matches, otherwise they are out of a job.

Alemar

Considering how poor James often is, there is nothing to lose playing Diallo. Even if he doesn’t have a good game - so what?

Brightonian

Dortmund are 5th in the Bundesliga. Are we meant to be aspiring to that..?

Amad will get his chance. The PL is not a bad place to be a talented youngster, and nor is United. You just have to be patient.

Amarsdd

How is it true? Amad has barely featured in Italy and is now plunked mid season in a new country. What exactly is the expectation here?
start every game, score and assist 50 goals and win the 2021 Ballon'dor. It's quite easy and straightforward. Why can't you see it? Why can't Ole see it? Why can't our coaches see it?!

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Tuanzebe too.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Hope we get to see him tonight, but I can see Ole opting to start with James to begin with.

Marwood

the difference is the quality of the league and the expectation of fans.

There are So few easy games these days, and so it’s difficult to give young players game time.

it’s clearly easier for players to go to germany and get game time, it’s a less competitive league.

Bellingham wouldn’t play the number of games he has for any side in the top half of the PL.

It’s a difficult problem to resolve.

furthermore when the average lifespan of a manager is so short in the PL, there’s little incentive to invest in the future. Instead they focus on winning the next couple of matches, otherwise they are out of a job.
Is there a problem though?

I don't think giving Amad half a season to bed in is a problem. As others have said he's 18 and tiny.

Beckham, Neville, Scholes and Butt were all about 20 before they started playing consistently. Probably started getting a few games here and there when they were 19.

To be getting consistent game time at 18 there's usually something physically exceptional about the player. Pace or strength that allows them to start early.

Amad doesn't have those attributes(yet) so he's perfectly in line with Becks, Scholes etc in terms of his introduction. There's nothing to worry about, all perfectly normal.

Dante

Average bang
Kagawa and Mkhitaryan could cut it at Dortmund, but failed in the PL. Sometimes it's not just game time that makes a player. It's physical development in their formative years. Obviously, that's not the only route to success. Some (like Greenwood or Williams) can be thrown in at the deep end straight away. But others show you need to be careful due to their lack of size and strength.

Giving Amad room to grow will give him a better chance of making it in the long run. If he already had the core strength to brush off Shaw and Wan-Bissaka in training, he'd be playing every game. On that score, he's obviously still behind Mason.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Dortmund are what 5th in the German league? Clearly they're geniuses.

OmarUnited4ever

Just to let you all know, Amad cost the club £19m upfront fees, and potentially an additional £18m in add-ons, so can we stop saying he is a £37m as if he is a major signing of an established player (like the case with DvB for example) when in fact he is a young player signed for the future, who joined the club 3 months ago only, so his little game time is not a surprise.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Just to let you all know, Amad cost the club £19m upfront fees, and potentially an additional £18m in add-ons, so can we stop saying he is a £37m as if he is a major signing of an established player (like the case with DvB for example) when in fact he is a young player signed for the future, who joined the club 3 months ago only, so his little game time is not a surprise.
Why would we stop saying £37m? It makes the club look really clueless if we keep repeating it, facts be damned.

OmarUnited4ever

Why would we stop saying £37m? It makes the club look really clueless if we keep repeating it, facts be damned.
did we sign the 18yo Amad to go into 1st team immediately?

if the answer is no, then bringing up the price tag of £37m is wrong and irrelevant to Amad's development discussion. (the reality is the club just paid half of it, the rest are add-ons that we don't know about).

i don't mind if anyone is questioning Ole's approach to introducing Amad to the 1st team and the number of minutes he has gotten so far, but that has nothing to do with his transfer fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.