Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He just has 'it'. Something that is so blindingly obvious the moment he stepped out on to the pitch at first team level.

Sancho potentially coming in and Amad showing how versatile he is augurs well for us. I don't think we're building towards a front line with players having set positions, but one where all four players can pop up anywhere in the final third. Proper rotational play. We're all thinking that Sancho is coming for that RW spot, the reality could be the opposite.
That's what ole said when he was first appointed. He wanted versitile players who can rotate positions. Like positionless basketball or like when we had Ronaldo, Tevez, Romney and when Saha was available.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think he’s going to be an absolute superstar to be honest. He has “it”.
Still work to be done from all parties, and the next couple of years need to be handled right otherwise he won’t become what he can.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'll hopefully tune in to watch his next game on Saturday against Ghana. Hopefully he gets a start.

No Love

That's what ole said when he was first appointed. He wanted versitile players who can rotate positions. Like positionless basketball or like when we had Ronaldo, Tevez, Romney and when Saha was available.
Incredible player in his day, ol’ Mitt.

“They say, he is a legend.”

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Great goal. Needs to be playing more next year. If any of our wide forwards are having a bad game , give him 30 minutes .

Redlyn

I wonder how he was allowed to take it. It's only his second game in the NT. Maybe he's been slotting them easily in training.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He can replace Fred, deliberating with Bruno. Lovely free kick.
Fred hit the angle of post and bar with a brilliant free-kick against Wolves in his first season, and I have little doubt that he takes them capably enough in training. The left-footed option often makes it a worthy conversation at times I suspect, depending on the position.

Edit:

Keeper touched it on to the angle. At 1:00 in this video.

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

Fred hit the angle of post and bar with a brilliant free-kick against Wolves in his first season, and I have little doubt that he takes them capably enough in training. The left-footed option often makes it a worthy conversation at times I suspect, depending on the position.

Edit:

He stands on free-kicks on the right side of the box precisely because he's the only left-footed player (Shaw aside) who could conceivably take them. He's there for dummy purposes only, which again, is pointless because the opposition knows Fred isn't going to take them. It makes more sense to have Greenwood over them as he presents a realistic threat in which to give the keeper pause for thought. We've seen enough of Fred's shooting from the edge of the area to conclude that one free-kick doesn't change his poor technique in general in front of goal.

Andersons Dietician

Fred also stands over freekicks cause wee man is unlikely to get his head on one in the box but is also in a great position to scramble back and help defend if a break should happen. Plus he’s Brazilian. Was probably top binning freekicks before most of us could walk. I’m more surprised at the lack of opportunities Lindelof gets to drive a free kick in.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Good free kick but my days that keeper had a mare!!
The standard of that game looked awful.

Interesting that his physique looks to have improved already, he looks to have filled out slightly.

Fred also stands over freekicks cause wee man is unlikely to get his head on one in the box but is also in a great position to scramble back and help defend if a break should happen. Plus he’s Brazilian. Was probably top binning freekicks before most of us could walk. I’m more surprised at the lack of opportunities Lindelof gets to drive a free kick in.
he might be Brazilian. But he’s a Brazilian who can’t shoot to save his life.

jackal&hyde

How bad was the gk huh.... He was right there.
The ball came somewhat from above and in to the top corner, very difficult to stop.

Hope he does a Greenwood next season and becomes a key player for us. Unreal talent.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The ball came somewhat from above and in to the top corner, very difficult to stop.

Hope he does a Greenwood next season and becomes a key player for us. Unreal talent.
Those things don’t just happen. We need to be deliberate about it and say we are going to give him football, which I can’t see happening. We’ll likely sign Sancho, and he’ll start every game on the right, with Rashford doing the same on the left.

Mickson

Edit:

I'm still baffled that Greenwood hasn't tried one. It strengthens my theory that freekicks are hierarchal and that only. It's all about your status in the team, hence why Bruno and Rashford take it no matter what.

Dominos

I'm still baffled that Greenwood hasn't tried one. It strengthens my theory that freekicks are hierarchal and that only. It's all about your status in the team, hence why Bruno and Rashford take it no matter what.
Greenwood's strength seems to be in the power of his shots, he doesn't really put much curl on his efforts. To get them up and over the wall requires a bit of finesse and subtlety.

Rashford should only take them from far out for the same reason, he just blasts it.

I agree about the hierarchy though, you see it with subs too.

Mata is the only player in the squad I trust to actually get it over the wall and on target.

Mickson

Greenwood's strength seems to be in the power of his shots, he doesn't really put much curl on his efforts. To get them up and over the wall requires a bit of finesse and subtlety.

Rashford should only take them from far out for the same reason, he just blasts it.

Mata is the only player in the squad I trust to actually get it over the wall and on target.
Greenwood has scored some great freekicks in the youth teams, with both feet! Both power and more finesse. I would at least love to see him try one.

GledTheRed

You obviously never watched him come through the ranks.

Grande

Freekick goals are 80% about the keeper. People pinging in free kicks at U23 level normally take tears before they get good results in top league football.

The best attacking players regularily train extra for long shots and free kicks, the coaches are there to watch a lot of it. Who takes the free kicks in games is mostly about what they have done in games plus what they have done in training. If Greenwood shows up better freekicks in any position in training, he’ll get the chances in games as well.

Ekeke

I disagree. Greenwood's strength is his accuracy with the ball often finding the corners and how early he shoots quite often surprising the keeper

Mickson

Freekick goals are 80% about the keeper. People pinging in free kicks at U23 level normally take tears before they get good results in top league football.

The best attacking players regularily train extra for long shots and free kicks, the coaches are there to watch a lot of it. Who takes the free kicks in games is mostly about what they have done in games plus what they have done in training. If Greenwood shows up better freekicks in any position in training, he’ll get the chances in games as well.
I really think you underrate hierarchy in football. Players do what they want regarding free kicks on goal, hence the discussion on the pitch between the two, three alphas. Why do you think Ronaldo always takes?

Dominos

I disagree. Greenwood's strength is his accuracy with the ball often finding the corners and how early he shoots quite often surprising the keeper
I agree. But I was speaking in terms of free kicks where the skill is to get it over the wall without putting it over the bar.

His style of shooting seems to be more power based rather than whip and curl. But I could be wrong and he's just not had the chance to showcase this yet.

Frankly our free kicks can't get any worse so I'm all for giving him a crack.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I know that diallo is obviously less experienced but does anyone think his style of play is similar to sancho? I watched him against wolves on last day of season and seen a lot of creativity from him, he could definitely become our creative winger in the next few years.

meamth

I agree. But I was speaking in terms of free kicks where the skill is to get it over the wall without putting it over the bar.

His style of shooting seems to be more power based rather than whip and curl. But I could be wrong and he's just not had the chance to showcase this yet.

Frankly our free kicks can't get any worse so I'm all for giving him a crack.
Have you seen videos of Greenwood shooting for fun?

Free kicks is about how pure and accurate you can strike the ball, Greenwood is the purest of them all.

FK is hierarchy, it is correct, however the time will come for Greenwood to take them.

EDIT:

His time will come.

Grande

I really think you underrate hierarchy in football. Players do what they want regarding free kicks on goal, hence the discussion on the pitch between the two, three alphas. Why do you think Ronaldo always takes?
Because he has scored a fair bit of them. Why do you think Fred has taken free kicks for United? Because he is an ‘alpha’? Is Mata an ‘alpha’? No, but he has scored quite a few free kicks from the range 15 to 20 yards. Since way before he was hierarchical anything. Hierarchy exists, but the hierarchy is based first and foremost on merit, because coaches and players want to win games.

Status
Not open for further replies.