5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

laughtersassassin

Meh, maybe Mata but James has his uses and is a completely different player to Amad so will offer us something different.
Does anyone else worry about his pace? I see he has the touch and ability to put defenders off balance, but then he doesn't have the quickness to actually get by them.
I have bad news for you about Sancho so....

Imo they both aren't blistering but are still quick.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Does anyone else worry about his pace?
Not yet. Remember people worrying about Rashfords pace too when he was that age (remember all that talk when Koscielny caught up with him?). Nani too for that matter. Quite a few players become quicker when they mature and «hit the weights».

MDFC Manager

A 5 yard square pass? Jesus, i'm happy for Amad but it seems we cant praise one of our players without shitting on another one.
Think bringing up James was kinda uncalled for too, but the thing is, James (and several others tbf) either lose the ball or take a low % shot 8 out of 10 times in that scenario.

Sea-Cow

Not yet. Remember people worrying about Rashfords pace too when he was that age (remember all that talk when Koscielny caught up with him?). Nani too for that matter. Quite a few players become quicker when they mature and «hit the weights».
Yeah he can mature physically. He will just need to learn to pass quicker and not allow the defenders to get back in position after he goes past them initially.

Bondi77

He did not do much in this game but he did not see much of the ball from his team mates.
Watching this team makes me realise why Bailly is prone to mistakes as the whole backline are as jittery as feck and the RB is the worst one.
We can all see Amad has great technique but to be a serious contender he is going to have to muscle up as he just gets pushed around too easy.

Walters_19_MuFc

Thing is, Amad, from what I've seen, is not an explosive player. He will have to rely on his technical ability and close control to beat players. He'll be similar to Bernardo Silva, Mata, etc, in my opinion.

laughtersassassin

Thing is, Amad, from what I've seen, is not an explosive player. He will have to rely on his technical ability and close control to beat players. He'll be similar to Bernardo Silva, Mata, etc, in my opinion.
He is for sure quicker than all of them though. He is in between really. He is quick but not very fast.

Imo similar to Sancho speed wise

Nicolarra90

He's so good and makes it look so easy, that many here say Dan James could have done it :lol::lol:

Red71

Does anyone else worry about his pace? I see he has the touch and ability to put defenders off balance, but then he doesn't have the quickness to actually get by them.
That’s my worry with him tbh…he looks a talented lad but there doesn’t seem to be that acceleration or change of pace to get away from a player…that could hamper him at first team level. It’s not a deal breaker necessarily but as a right winger in particular, it’s less than helpful. I’m probably going to get pelters for this but I see shades of Angel Gomes there (which is in no way intended to be an insult!)…

Idxomer

His use of the ball is incredible and not just for his age, very few could be compared to him in that regard in our squad.

laughtersassassin

That’s my worry with him tbh…he looks a talented lad but there doesn’t seem to be that acceleration or change of pace to get away from a player…that could hamper him at first team level. It’s not a deal breaker necessarily but as a right winger in particular, it’s less than helpful. I’m probably going to get pelters for this but I see shades of Angel Gomes there (which is in no way intended to be an insult!)…
Way quicker than Gomes. Again if everyone is so concerned about pace then we have a problem in Sancho who is no quicker than Amad

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I see him as more of a 10 or false 9 anyway.

He will play his best stuff where he can use his quick thinking and turns in more open space. The way he plays on the right sort of sandwiches him into a corner and he's forced to pass backwards.

Unless he can develop some blistering speed I'm not sure that style will work too well in England unless we have a lot of possession. He'd be great in possession based teams for that reason.

I think it's no surprise his best performance so far came as the false 9 against Wolves.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Way quicker than Gomes. Again if everyone is so concerned about pace then we have a problem in Sancho who is no quicker than Amad
Sancho is rapid, maxed at at quicker than Gnabry last season, and Gnabry is no slouch. 21.5mph apparently.

Seven Seas Sardines

A 5 yard square pass? Jesus, i'm happy for Amad but it seems we cant praise one of our players without shitting on another one.
Yeah cos he didn't turn and keep away 4-5 defenders before calmly slotting perfectly to Kessie. The ball would've hit row Z or the corner flag before the turn happened.

I think it's pretty fair to compare a player against the one keeping him out of match day squads, but if you can't handle a crappy player getting criticism maybe you should stay away from internet forums.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If you've a manager who can unlock the best out of your player, pace doesn't really matter that much. Look at Mata at Chelsea, his pace wasn't anything special and he looked brilliant.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah cos he didn't turn and keep away 4-5 defenders before calmly slotting perfectly to Kessie. The ball would've hit row Z or the corner flag before the turn happened.

I think it's pretty fair to compare a player against the one keeping him out of match day squads, but if you can't handle a crappy player getting criticism maybe you should stay away from internet forums.

Why you couldn't just write this at the start, I don't know.

As for staying away from internet forums, I will continue to shoot down God-awful posts like your first one. If you don't like that, then maybe you should take up your own advice.

Red71

If that’s right, I’d be concerned personally…my (admittedly unscientific) eye test tells me that Sancho is quicker with better acceleration but I’d bow to the better judgement of others on this…

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Is 21.5mph his max speed or an average speed of a sprint over a certain distance?
He reached 21.5mph over half a pitch for a goal in the cup final. Left Alaba trailing despite Alaba having less ground to cover.

I don't think we have to worry about Sancho's pace.

If Diallo is as quick as Sancho then we will be fine.

laughtersassassin

He reached 21.5mph over half a pitch for a goal in the cup final. Left Alaba trailing despite Alaba having less ground to cover.

I don't think we have to worry about Sancho's pace.

If Diallo is as quick as Sancho then we will be fine.
Its just my personal rank based on what I've seen but in terms of Pace if I was to group players by speed I'd go:

1. Rashford and James
2. Martial (Gotten much slower over his career) Sancho Diallo
3. Your Matas in his prime, Bernardo Silva.

Sancho and Diallo aren't blistering like Rashford and James but they are by no means as slow as yours Matas or Bernardo Silva's.

Sea-Cow

If you've a manager who can unlock the best out of your player, pace doesn't really matter that much. Look at Mata at Chelsea, his pace wasn't anything special and he looked brilliant.
Yeah Mata and David Silva show that even small, not very quick players can still be effective. But you have to be close to fing brilliant with touch, vision, anticipation etc. And maybe Amad is, I have no idea. If he's half as effective as David Silva we'll be laughing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s no slower than that other short left footed guy who played from the right. And he’s of course three times as talented as Messi too.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He’s no slower than that other short left footed guy who played from the right. And he’s of course three times as talented as Messi too.
I very rarely see you endorse a player quite like you’ve endorsed Amad, I take it you have very high hopes for the lad? :wenger:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I very rarely see you endorse a player quite like you’ve endorsed Amad, I take it you have very high hopes for the lad? :wenger:
You should see me talk about Luke Shaw then! Of course, Messi is the best player ever, I don’t really think he has more talent, and with Amad, it is more projecting than anything else - but I think he will be a star. Well, CAN be - but with young players all the conditions need to be right I feel, so we will see. But I’m confident.

AltiUn

You should see me talk about Luke Shaw then! Of course, Messi is the best player ever, I don’t really think he has more talent, and with Amad, it is more projecting than anything else - but I think he will be a star. Well, CAN be - but with young players all the conditions need to be right I feel, so we will see. But I’m confident.
Don’t worry I’ve seen your comments about Luke Shaw :lol: in fairness he’s an absolutely unbelievably good footballer who I personally think might be the best player in the league :nervous:

But yeah, regarding Amad, I’m not sure how much you’ve watched him for the youth teams but it’s rare you see a player so obviously too good for the level they’re at, which is what Amad was, in the same way Greenwood was obviously too good for youth level

He feels to me like an absolute gem of a player, almost to the point I wish we’d started introducing him to the team as soon as we signed him in January.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Don’t worry I’ve seen your comments about Luke Shaw :lol: in fairness he’s an absolutely unbelievably good footballer who I personally think might be the best player in the league :nervous:

But yeah, regarding Amad, I’m not sure how much you’ve watched him for the youth teams but it’s rare you see a player so obviously too good for the level they’re at, which is what Amad was, in the same way Greenwood was obviously too good for youth level

He feels to me like an absolute gem of a player, almost to the point I wish we’d started introducing him to the team as soon as we signed him in January.
I’m not even that fussed that we haven’t rushed it, but I am a bit fearful of getting the loan wrong and would prefer if he stayed and played. Still think he needs a year or so playing and training with senior pros before he u locks a next level.

And I can’t say I’ve watched him loads at youth level. It is more a case of picking up things in his game that stand out, and to me, his relationship with the ball is remarkable for his age. He also tends to do the right thing more often than not, and also, from what I know of his background - I’m optimistic that he’ll have the necessary drive.

AltiUn

I’m not even that fussed that we haven’t rushed it, but I am a bit fearful of getting the loan wrong and would prefer if he stayed and played. Still think he needs a year or so playing and training with senior pros before he u locks a next level.

And I can’t say I’ve watched him loads at youth level. It is more a case of picking up things in his game that stand out, and to me, his relationship with the ball is remarkable for his age. He also tends to do the right thing more often than not, and also, from what I know of his background - I’m optimistic that he’ll have the necessary drive.
Obviously not a decision I’d be well informed on but watching him, he’s not someone who looks like like he needs a loan. For our U23s in the few games he did play he was ridiculously good.

I’ve always said an early indication of a player is their decision making and the weight of pass, and Amad seems well versed in both already. Same as I thought Mason was when he first broke onto the scene.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sancho is definitely quicker than Amad, both with his acceleration which is excellent and over distance. Amad is really agile, but he's not much of a runner which is fine.

Angel Gomes isn't a bad comparison for a talent/risk level though. He was tremendously talented for me but his size was tiny and he just wasn't going to have the impact he would want in the premier league. Amad is taller of course, and a bit faster but I don't think there's a whole lot in it for pace. Similar in that they have quick feet but never play a style that their longer distance running is needed or where you'd want to use it. My concern with Amad is how slight he is, and it's just something where he'll have to thicken up eventually, to a point. As of now you can shut him out way too easily, though the on ball talent and passing is obvious.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Sancho is definitely quicker than Amad, both with his acceleration which is excellent and over distance. Amad is really agile, but he's not much of a runner which is fine.

Angel Gomes isn't a bad comparison for a talent/risk level though. He was tremendously talented for me but his size was tiny and he just wasn't going to have the impact he would want in the premier league. Amad is taller of course, and a bit faster but I don't think there's a whole lot in it for pace. Similar in that they have quick feet but never play a style that their longer distance running is needed or where you'd want to use it. My concern with Amad is how slight he is, and it's just something where he'll have to thicken up eventually, to a point. As of now you can shut him out way too easily, though the on ball talent and passing is obvious.
Imo Amad doesn't need to thick up, our body reacts differently to gym work, I'll prefer he's lean and strong like the Barca Neymar Version, We need him nimbly as possible, he's a winger they don't need all that thicken up nonsense, let he's body grow by natural exercise.
Take Depay at PSV and when he got here, everyone push him into gym work which truned him into a physical monster but he lost his ability and light movement on the ball, which was one of the reasons we bought him in the first place.

Bondi77

His next two games are against Brazil and Germany and Ivory Coast are second in their group so I am intrigued to see how he plays tomorrow against Brazil.

In Rainbows

I thought Gomes was more of a midfielder than Amad. Amad seems more attacking of the two. If you were to strictly compare the 3 attacking midfielders, it would be a scale from Gomes to Sancho, with Amad being inbetween them.

bosnian_red

I thought Gomes was more of a midfielder than Amad. Amad seems more attacking of the two. If you were to strictly compare the 3 attacking midfielders, it would be a scale from Gomes to Sancho, with Amad being inbetween them.
Positionally yes, but style of play.. Angel Gomes basically played to avoid any physical duel with pace or strength, and was a pure technique player. They both kind of play like Mata/David Silva, but in different areas of the pitch. But he definitely needs to get that wirey strength that someone like Silva had otherwise its too easy to shut them out of a game.

bosnian_red

Imo Amad doesn't need to thick up, our body reacts differently to gym work, I'll prefer he's lean and strong like the Barca Neymar Version, We need him nimbly as possible, he's a winger they don't need all that thicken up nonsense, let he's body grow by natural exercise.
Take Depay at PSV and when he got here, everyone push him into gym work which truned him into a physical monster but he lost his ability and light movement on the ball, which was one of the reasons we bought him in the first place.
Yeah, thicken up probably the wrong word, but needs to get that wirey strength you see from others of his build. He's both slight and pushed off the ball easily, which if he wants to play his way, he can't let happen.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah, thicken up probably the wrong word, but needs to get that wirey strength you see from others of his build. He's both slight and pushed off the ball easily, which if he wants to play his way, he can't let happen.
Mané would be a great example. But it's normal that a teenager wouldn't have that. Man strength starts to come in early to mid 20s for most people.

MDFC Manager

When he's on form and rampaging up and down the left flank, it's not a bad shout at all. Just a shame that typically fullbacks don't get "best player in the league" level of praise, and in Shaw's case, there's a lot of lingering negative bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.