5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dutchred

Really? I thought Antony was Mane/Salah level fast. Amad isn’t exactly slow, but he’s not a wide attacker who’s a proper sprinter like those.
Antony is quick but not exceptionally so. He uses dribbling and technique to get past players (hardly ever explosive pace)

El-Manos

It's not silly to have questions over his overall quality when looking at his performances for United this season since he hasn't actually impressed in plenty of games. Furthermore to say he's been our second best attacking player this season is hardly much of a commendation.

Of course when you look at his earlier Dortmund career then you'd be assessing him differently and probably at a higher level but as I say one has to take into account the disparity in quality between the leagues.

As to expectations for Sancho, Ten Hag or the club overall for next season, my advice would be to keep them seriously tempered.
If you’re that negative about Sancho, I can’t wait to hear your opinion on the rest of them:lol:

dubplate warrior

One basic prerequisite for said clue in this instance is looking objectively at Sancho's performances this season and whether he justified the £70 million transfer fee.

Simple answer. He didn't. Not even close.
Sancho is a player who needs to be in a team where attackers utilise give and goes and recycles possession well. Ole bought him without any idea of how to actually use him, almost as if he thought he was an explosive winger.

Its probably better to view things with a degree of nuance, he's clearly a very big talent. I'm confident he'll do very good with a manager like ETH.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Vls a vis Sancho, it’s always folly when people analyse a player’s performances without the wider context of their environment and team functionality. Viewed as an isolated case, Sancho didn’t justify his fee. Back in the real world where we know he was part of a desperately dysfunctional group, with low morale, it’s perfectly legitimate to say that he was one of the lone bright sparks. Certainly enough for those with perspective to say that under a better manager and in a more functional unit, he showed enough this season to offer serious encouragement for his potential performances next season.

Back to Diallo, I am glad he is getting some minutes. Pre-season back with the group and under a new manager is a big opportunity for him to stake a claim for a first team squad role. So I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how that goes. If he goes out on loan, it’ll be his preseason performances and the playing time impact of any new signings that determine it.

Frank White

What's worrying about it?
The fact that Sancho has actually been decent in spells this season, or the fact that you can't see that?
What's worrying is that 3 or 4 games where he was ok/good is now being used as a way to describe someone as a bright spark over a full season. Outside of the numbers game he's looked unfit from the beginning, goes huge portions of games where he's completely anonymous and is a liability defensively to match and that's without talking about the huge fee and wage. On top of that he's now swanning around Paris whilst "injured" with games left to play, literally any other player and they would be crucified for some of the stuff he's got away with this season.

Now that's not to say that next season, under what's hopefully a competent manager he turns it around but to say this season he's been anything other than hugely disappointing is madness to me.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Sancho is a player who needs to be in a team where attackers utilise give and goes and recycles possession well. Ole bought him without any idea of how to actually use him, almost as if he thought he was an explosive winger.

Its probably better to view things with a degree of nuance, he's clearly a very big talent. I'm confident he'll do very good with a manager like ETH.
Right. But it's not exactly a lack of nuance to say Sancho has looked way short of being a top class player this season. Nuance (or the finer points) do of course come into play when one, for example, compares and contrasts where he is now to where he was previously.

As I say, I have little to no confidence in Ten Hag improving the overall situation nevermind making Sancho any better.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What's worrying is that 3 or 4 games where he was ok/good is now being used as a way to describe someone as a bright spark over a full season. Outside of the numbers game he's looked unfit from the beginning, goes huge portions of games where he's completely anonymous and is a liability defensively to match and that's without talking about the huge fee and wage. On top of that he's now swanning around Paris whilst "injured" with games left to play, literally any other player and they would be crucified for some of the stuff he's got away with this season.

Now that's not to say that next season, under what's hopefully a competent manager he turns it around but to say this season he's been anything other than hugely disappointing is madness to me.
Right you are.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Right. But it's not exactly a lack of nuance to say Sancho has looked way short of being a top class player this season. Nuance (or the finer points) do of course come into play when one, for example, compares and contrasts where he is now to where he was previously.

As I say, I have little to no confidence in Ten Hag improving the overall situation nevermind making Sancho any better.
I have complete confidence that if ETH can actually implement his style of play and is supported by the club in the summer's ins and ours (big IF) then Sancho will improve greatly over the next 2 years. Just like Havertz has, at Chelsea (but I rate Sancho higher). He's a wonderful footballer who has been decent (not great) in his first adjustment year in the PL as part of an abysmal United team. He could have done better himself without doubt, for example, he's been a lot looser in possession than I expected. But other times you can see his class show although the collective just has has no chemistry etc

For me he's an absolutely crucial part of our future. He has nearly everything you need a in a modern wide player (can improve his goal threat).

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Antony is quick but not exceptionally so. He uses dribbling and technique to get past players (hardly ever explosive pace)
Completely disagree with this poster. He often uses explosive pace. He sometimes literally whips the ball to the front and runs as fast as he can.

Becks00

I hope we don't buy Antony. Amad is very similar and under Ten Haag could develop into a very good inverted right winger
Having both as RW options would be great. Then we can start either without any significant drop in quality.

Litch

We moan how other teams are ahead of the game and get these players early yet then moan when they don’t score hat tricks every week in a lesser league. What I don’t understand is he scores an outstanding goal for us in Europe and then Ole never played him again…

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
What's worrying about it?
The fact that Sancho has actually been decent in spells this season, or the fact that you can't see that?
Sancho has 4 goals and 3 assist in 37 games this year. Elanga has 4 goals and 2 assists in 26 games. I wouldn't say either of them had a particularly good season but out of the 2 of them Elanga has had a better one.

buckooo1978

We moan how other teams are ahead of the game and get these players early yet then moan when they don’t score hat tricks every week in a lesser league. What I don’t understand is he scores an outstanding goal for us in Europe and then Ole never played him again…
one of Ole's flaws was his unwillingness to rotate properly. Greenwood was first choice on the right but Rashford played plenty of largely ineffective games there too. Diallo didnt look ready physically but he could have been used from the bench a bit more I think.

Been a bad year in terms of injury and a loan where he hasnt played enough but with Europa League football on the horizon surely he will stay next year

Litch

one of Ole's flaws was his unwillingness to rotate properly. Greenwood was first choice on the right but Rashford played plenty of largely ineffective games there too. Diallo didnt look ready physically but he could have been used from the bench a bit more I think.

Been a bad year in terms of injury and a loan where he hasnt played enough but with Europa League football on the horizon surely he will stay next year
If funny and I’m not qualified to make that assessment but he wasn’t never going to develop physically straight away but agree could have been used better than he was. I guess Rangers are still a club with huge amounts of pressure to win football games so it was questionable whether he’d have got game time their either

phelans shorts

Sancho has 4 goals and 3 assist in 37 games this year. Elanga has 4 goals and 2 assists in 26 games. I wouldn't say either of them had a particularly good season but out of the 2 of them Elanga has had a better one.
Elanga’s floor has been significantly lower than Sancho’s, so it’s not really that comparable. I’d definitely say Sancho had the better season of the two from the eye test.

TwoSheds

Elanga’s floor has been significantly lower than Sancho’s, so it’s not really that comparable. I’d definitely say Sancho had the better season of the two from the eye test.
Has it though? Sancho has had many completely invisible games. He's had about 2-3 games where I've genuinely been whelmed, maybe 10-15 decent ones, the rest poor to very poor.

phelans shorts

Has it though? Sancho has had many completely invisible games. He's had about 2-3 games where I've genuinely been whelmed, maybe 10-15 decent ones, the rest poor to very poor.
I wouldn’t describe any as very poor, invisible sure on a few occasions, not really any where he’s been a total liability with the ball just bouncing off him. Elanga has on a few occasions, however.

dubplate warrior

Elanga has done OK under Ralf because he's an athlete who follows instructions, but as a footballer Sancho is on a completely different level. Next year all of our players will be expected to show more than just athleticism, they'll be required to show composure with the ball at their feet and the ability to use the ball well. As much as I wish both could do it I don't think Elanga really has that in his locker to the level required. If anything, he reminds me somewhat of Dan James.

I think we all need to give it a season and see what players turn up and improve and who struggles to adapt, then we need to actually for once be ruthless.

dubplate warrior

Football is more than numbers, stats would have made people believe Bruno was world class.

Classical Mechanic

The reason why Elanga played under Ralf is because he presses like Ralf wants his players to. Diallo has a lot of talent but needs to work on his off the ball game. That's probably why he doesn't get selected by Rangers. You have to be a really high level talent to offer little of the ball in the modern game (or play for Ole!).

https://fbref.com/en/players/2fba6108/Anthony-Elanga

I always compare Diallo to Marcus Edwards. The resemblance is uncanny on the ball and Edwards is a very gifted player like Amad. He's stuck being a bench player for Sporting at the moment because while he does some amazing things with the ball he doesn't offer enough in his all round game. Diallo needs to make sure he doesn't end up like Edwards.

laughtersassassin

TwoSheds

Elanga's floor has definitely been significantly lower than Sancho's
I just don't agree with that. If you're a forward who doesn't show for the ball that's awful. Thereve been many games where Sancho went and hid.

Elanga always shows for it even when he's playing shit. With the exception of the last game against Brighton where he clearly took his cue from the rest of the big time Charlies in our side and did feck all. I'd very happily drop Elanga for that pathetic performance in fact, but there were multiple times when I wanted Sancho dropped throughout the season.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Having both as RW options would be great. Then we can start either without any significant drop in quality.
If Antony and Amad are that interchangeable then we sure as feck shouldn't sign Antony.

Don't think that's the case, but we'll have to make do with what we have anyway. Plenty of bigger holes to fill in the squad, including the massive midfield vortex.

AneRu

If Antony and Amad are that interchangeable then we sure as feck shouldn't sign Antony.

Don't think that's the case, but we'll have to make do with what we have anyway. Plenty of bigger holes to fill in the squad, including the massive midfield vortex.
This, we have too much to do in midfield and defense and we also know that the Glazers won't fund a significant rebuild so we will need to prioritize. Hopefully, especially if Rasford doesn't turn it on, we make it a three way fight for regular minutes between Amad, Elanga and Pellistiri. One of them is bound to take his chance and save us some money.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I just don't agree with that. If you're a forward who doesn't show for the ball that's awful. Thereve been many games where Sancho went and hid.

Elanga always shows for it even when he's playing shit. With the exception of the last game against Brighton where he clearly took his cue from the rest of the big time Charlies in our side and did feck all. I'd very happily drop Elanga for that pathetic performance in fact, but there were multiple times when I wanted Sancho dropped throughout the season.
Really not true considering Sancho is among our highest touch players every game pretty much.

bosnian_red

that's not to say that next season, under what's hopefully a competent manager he turns it around but to say this season he's been anything other than hugely disappointing is madness to me
It's more a case that it's an impossible environment to anyone to have done well in. So no point in making any judgement on him IMO. It was a season, a team where even Cristiano Ronaldo looked useless/past it/a statue and a hindrance for 1/3 to 1/2 of the season. This season has been hugely disappointing. Pointing fingers at pretty much any player in particular and being disappointed in their level just feels weird, because I really don't think there was any different possible outcome the way the year was going.

bosnian_red

Early in the season he was appalling for it.
The first 2 months when he was gaining fitness/brand new to the league and team and our tactics weren't actually utilizing him? Hardly worth mentioning, especially as it's not a trait that applies to him at all. He's a player who always looks to get on it and get involved and will look to be a big part of the build up. He had an up and down season and generally can and will do a lot more in a functioning system (which applies to every player), don't think there needs to be any more analysis on his season than that. He'll show his top class level and show he can be one of the best creators in the world as he was at Dortmund.

Pughnichi

There’s definitely a player in there. His weight of pass and touch is phenomenal for such a young age.

TwoSheds

The first 2 months when he was gaining fitness/brand new to the league and team and our tactics weren't actually utilizing him? Hardly worth mentioning, especially as it's not a trait that applies to him at all. He's a player who always looks to get on it and get involved and will look to be a big part of the build up. He had an up and down season and generally can and will do a lot more in a functioning system (which applies to every player), don't think there needs to be any more analysis on his season than that. He'll show his top class level and show he can be one of the best creators in the world as he was at Dortmund.
It wasn't me who started talking about his bottom level mate. You can't just ignore the bits of the season you don't like and pretend someone is consistently good.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Football is more than numbers, stats would have made people believe Bruno was world class.
Bruno was definitely world class for the first 18 months for us. People have very short memories on here.

Sadly like so many others his level gets dragged down by being surrounded by players who don't try or players who are just not that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.