Status
Not open for further replies.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
That weight of pass for Facundo is :drool:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Needs a season on load in a PL club where he will play every week. Forrest, Brentford, Fulham, Bournemouth or somebody like that.

See how he does and either bring him back next year for the first team or sell.
He's nowhere near ready to start for any PL club. Lower Championship or League 1 maybe.

AshRK

Don't like to make such comments on a young player but I don't think he is that special like so thought he could be. I feel he needs a proper loan where he can play 30 to 40 games in the season. The boy is 20 but has just played 27 senior games. That's not correct. Has to play more.

Ekeke

He did well for the Pellistri goal making a quick and decisive pass, but other than that he was trying to be flashy with flicks and passes that didnt come off and gave the ball away

MadMike

If he needs a lot of game time, he won’t get it in the EPL. And experience in another country might not translate well. We need to send him to a mid-level Championship club that will play him a lot.

I had the pleasure of watching first hand Connor Gallagher (Chelsea’s player) cut it at Charlton in the Championship at the same age. Before going to Swansea (still Championship), then WBA (EPL), then Palace, before returning back to Chelsea at age 22.

Now Chelsea‘a approach of buying up large numbers of prospective talent and farming them out to the lower leagues, might not be everyone cup of tea. But with the players we already have who seemingly have little prospect of breaking through, it might be the best course of action.

El Jefe

Sounds like you are talking about Sancho as well.
Good thing for Sancho is he has a portfolio at a very high level. Amad's career is made up of highlights in the U23s and Scottish League.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sounds like you are talking about Sancho as well.
The Sancho comparison doesn't work as Sancho had more goals and assists in a big 5 league than any other u20 player did over the past 30+ years apart from Mbappe who had just 1 more. Amad doesn't even have 1000 minutes of professional football under his belt by the time he reached the age of 20.

bosnian_red

He was bought for £19m.
But with the add ons to make sure if he ever does make it, we don't get the benefits of developing a young player and will have then paid 40m for him. All risk and no reward unless he hits a world class level basically. Was just a bad deal all around.

Remember the geese

But with the add ons to make sure if he ever does make it, we don't get the benefits of developing a young player and will have then paid 40m for him. All risk and no reward unless he hits a world class level basically. Was just a bad deal all around.
But he was signed seemingly because we believed he has the potential to reach a world class level. Therefore we would be paying €40m for a player who would be worth double that.

bosnian_red

But he was signed seemingly because we believed he has the potential to reach a world class level. Therefore we would be paying €40m for a player who would be worth double that.
Yeah that's just paying 40m to hope you hit the lottery though. World class talents rarely become world class players. Hell, how often do you have a player who looks ridiculous at youth level and just fail to make the step up? Its just a signing that never made any sense. Different team in charge of all that now, but it really was the epitome of the previous regime to spend that on a player who never really stepped out of youth level, and didn't have the physical attributes to actually help him make the step up, and was multiple years away from potentially getting there.

Remember the geese

Yeah that's just paying 40m to hope you hit the lottery though. World class talents rarely become world class players. Hell, how often do you have a player who looks ridiculous at youth level and just fail to make the step up? Its just a signing that never made any sense. Different team in charge of all that now, but it really was the epitome of the previous regime to spend that on a player who never really stepped out of youth level, and didn't have the physical attributes to actually help him make the step up, and was multiple years away from potentially getting there.
On the flipside, you would hope that even if Amad doesn't hit the heights required, we could still recoup our €19m or close to it. Nothing lost, nothing gained. I do agree that it clearly wasn't a well thought out move, as it didn't appear we had any sort of plan for him. We were tactically clueless anyway, so it wasn't an environment conducive for a young player to thrive in. I do believe that it was good work from us to identify him in the first place though.

OpenIntrovert

It is too early too call this deal a bad deal. Amad came in as part of the future first team setup rather than a immediate player. People must understand that some signings have to be made early due to the strong interest from other clubs, which is why Manchester United moved fast and paid a higher fee for him.

He did quite well in 20/21 season with the reserves and the sparing first team opportunities. Last season was supposed to be the next level of his development in terms of a loan, but a lengthy injury scuppered it. This season will see him continue his development and i am sure he will come out well if he manages his fitness.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
We already have "not good enough" players that are far better than Amad, there's no need to add more. Constantly hoping for a player to get better when he clearly does not have the physical or technical tools to succeed is how we end up with "deadwood" like Mctominay, Andreas, Baily, Rojo, and so on.

Sancho is 1.80m. Sancho also has incredible technical ability, and he was showing a lot more at the ages of 18-21 than Amad has ever shown in his career. Amad couldn't even hack it in Scotland ffs.
You obviously have a excellent knowledge of the future, I wish I could see as far as you do.

honirelandboy

Needs a season on load in a PL club where he will play every week. Forrest, Brentford, Fulham, Bournemouth or somebody like that.

He wouldn't start for any team in the premier league, moved off the ball too easily. Maybe a bottom five team in the French, Dutch or Portuguese league would suit him on loan.
He's only 20 and doesn't look like he's fully filled out yet but needs to hit the gym harder.

SAFMUTD

Sadly I don't think he'll develop physically enough for the premier league. He's too lightweight and too slow at this point. I don't think that'll change, he clearly has the talent but the physical part is lacking.

Tarrou

I doubt any PL team will play him every week

RuudtheRed

He was pretty awful apart from the assist. He got outmuscled a lot and couldn't keep hold of the ball regularly enough. He is a technical player but I feel like he just lacks any athleticism to make it in the EPL.

Crickus

For me he is to lightweight which is a shame because there is a player in him but the physical nature of the league will be to much. A Championship loan to say Norwich might be a good move for him but i dont think he will make it

Abraxas

Too early to casually write off. He's had nowhere near enough football for his age. Things like getting hustled off the ball may be partly physique and partly that the majority of his experience is in youth football where he has more time. He needs to learn to use his body and have a picture of what is going on at the higher levels and he can only do that with experience.

We did overpay though for what is very much a huge project player.

Aeryis

You obviously have a excellent knowledge of the future, I wish I could see as far as you do.
He's 20 and his current attributes are awful. It's not the "future", it's the present. He's looked awful for the past 2 years, in the PL and in weaker leagues. He looked hilariously weak in a friendly. You're too sentimental over these youngsters, they're not your kids. The club comes first. You should strive to want the best possible players at all times. If someone looks underwhelming to you for a couple of seasons, get rid of them and replace them with someone you think will be a better player. Holding on to players for too long because they're "young, so they have potential" when they're nothing but mediocre is how you end up with 30 year old Lingards, Pogbas, Martials and Phil Jones with nothing to show for in their United careers.

Being ruthless is how you avoid having deadwood. Otherwise what's the point of getting rid of deadwood if you're just going to replace them with another one? Nothing's going to change until we change our overall behaviour to players, squad building, and transfers.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He's 20 and his current attributes are awful. It's not the "future", it's the present. He's looked awful for the past 2 years, in the PL and in weaker leagues. He looked hilariously weak in a friendly. You're too sentimental over these youngsters, they're not your kids. The club comes first. You should strive to want the best possible players at all times. If someone looks underwhelming to you for a couple of seasons, get rid of them and replace them with someone you think will be a better player. Holding on to players for too long because they're "young, so they have potential" when they're nothing but mediocre is how you end up with 30 year old Lingards, Pogbas, Martials and Phil Jones with nothing to show for in their United careers.

Being ruthless is how you avoid having deadwood. Otherwise what's the point of getting rid of deadwood if you're just going to replace them with another one? Nothing's going to change until we change our overall behaviour to players, squad building, and transfers.
So you would get rid of any player at 20 that doesn't have the physical attributes to cope with the PL?
Why am I sentimental? I prefer to give these lads a chance to get to their full potential, whatever that may be.
I think Amad has only been with United since January 2021, so that's 18 months or so, and I don't think he's made many first team appearances.
You may or may not be right about Amad, but I don't agree with you that he needs to be gone now.

Tavern in the town

The sort of mentality that led to Chelsea binning Salah and De Bruyne.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He was pretty awful apart from the assist. He got outmuscled a lot and couldn't keep hold of the ball regularly enough. He is a technical player but I feel like he just lacks any athleticism to make it in the EPL.
Sure. But you realise that he played as a #9 against VVD and Konate?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The sort of mentality that led to Chelsea binning Salah and De Bruyne.
Then our 20/20 hindsight posters will moan about how poor our scouting is and we never seem to unearth any hidden gems like XXX clubs always seem to.
The proverbial, damn if you do. Damned if you don't.

Phil Osophy

I don't think Bernardo Silva (to name one) is more athletic than Amad in any way, and there's plenty of similar players who survived with dignity in the PL like our little Juan. It's about learning the game and finding ways to exploit your qualities.

If ten Hag builds a good passing structure at United I think it's possible for Amad to play his part some day, maybe. His technical level is there to see and he's very agile both physical and mentally. Still too raw overall but it's way too early to close the door.

It could be interesting to send him out on loan to a dutch or german club with a similar brand of football to the one we want to develop now, so he can absorb well the principles of play. At the moment I think he lacks any tactical background after going from one place to another (Italian youth league, our academy, some EL games under Ole, Scotland, now the former Ajax manager) so I could expect him to be a bit lost on the field.

The dutch and the german league are interesting for young players from a formative point of view. The way they play is dynamic, but there's some element of softness that could be interesting as a mid step before throwing a young prospect to the lions in England. I think we should try to find a good place for the man around there where he could start more often and next summer we evaluate again. Maybe he surprises us in the coming games but even then I think a well studied loan could be good for him.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He wouldn't start for any team in the premier league, moved off the ball too easily. Maybe a bottom five team in the French, Dutch or Portuguese league would suit him on loan.
He's only 20 and doesn't look like he's fully filled out yet but needs to hit the gym harder.
:lol:

Tavern in the town

I don't think Bernardo Silva (to name one) is more athletic than Amad in any way, and there's plenty of similar players who survived with dignity in the PL like our little Juan. It's about learning the game and finding ways to exploit your qualities.

If ten Hag builds a good passing structure at United I think it's possible for Amad to play his part some day, maybe. His technical level is there to see and he's very agile both physical and mentally. Still too raw overall but it's way too early to close the door.

It could be interesting to send him out on loan to a dutch or german club with a similar brand of football to the one we want to develop now, so he can absorb well the principles of play. At the moment I think he lacks any tactical background after going from one place to another (Italian youth league, our academy, some EL games under Ole, Scotland, now the former Ajax manager) so I could expect him to be a bit lost on the field.

The dutch and the german league are interesting for young players from a formative point of view. The way they play is dynamic, but there's some element of softness that could be interesting as a mid step before throwing a young prospect to the lions in England. I think we should try to find a good place for the man around there where he could start more often and next summer we evaluate again. Maybe he surprises us in the coming games but even then I think a well studied loan could be good for him.
Bernardo Silva is an immense athlete. Still remember his performance vs Liverpool in the 2-1 at the Etihad in 18/19, covered every blade of grass like a madman. You don’t need to be shredded like Ronaldo to be a top athlete.

Bondi77

The Sancho comparison doesn't work as Sancho had more goals and assists in a big 5 league than any other u20 player did over the past 30+ years apart from Mbappe who had just 1 more. Amad doesn't even have 1000 minutes of professional football under his belt by the time he reached the age of 20.
Amad is quicker than Sancho and is 3 yrs younger.
The good thing about Sancho having those stat's is there should be a market for him in Germany if it doesn't work out with us.

Bwuk

I’d keep him, play him in every Europa & League cup game until Jan then evaluate where we are.

bosnian_red

Amad is quicker than Sancho and is 3 yrs younger.
The good thing about Sancho having those stat's is there should be a market for him in Germany if it doesn't work out with us.
huh? Amad definitely isn't quicker, the point was that at Amads age, Sancho had done something that only mbappe had surpassed of all teenagers over the past 30 years. Amad literally has done nothing in professional football by the age 20. Sancho is a generational player, amad is a youth player who if I were a betting man, I'd say will go the same way as Angel Gomes because IMO there isn't anything between them talent wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.