Amad Diallo image 16

Amad Diallo Ivory Coast flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I just don’t really see it. There’s nothing about his game that screams top level.
He's technically very gifted. But given his size he needs to become much more physically robust and improve his engine for the modern game.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Find it funny looking back at all the posts claiming he could have been a starter this year!!

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's technically very gifted. But given his size he needs to become much more physically robust and improve his engine for the modern game.
Players seem to be labelled "technically gifted" of they're good with their feet. Aside from being easy on the eye when he carries the ball he doesn't have anything else about him. Not quick. Not strong. Doesn't beat a man. Not a goalscorer. Not a creator.

I like it when we take punts on young talented players. Sometimes they just don't turn out like you hope.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
What play style does their manager prefer? Would Amad fit there?
Mogga was your classic old-fashioned ‘lump it up to the front man’ centre back with us, but as a manager he’s been quite different to that. He’s recognised that football has moved on. I’ve a bit of a soft spot for him, he’s a cult hero at Town, and I wish Amad the very best of luck in understanding a word he says!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Easy to forget he only turned 20 last month. Still plenty of time, and a championship loan could be the making of him.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Players seem to be labelled "technically gifted" of they're good with their feet. Aside from being easy on the eye when he carries the ball he doesn't have anything else about him. Not quick. Not strong. Doesn't beat a man. Not a goalscorer. Not a creator.

I like it when we take punts on young talented players. Sometimes they just don't turn out like you hope.
You might turn out to be correct but it’s still too early to make those judgements about what he can and can’t do. It does seem safe to say, though, that he hasn’t exactly lived up to the hype. Not that the hype was his fault.

CM10

Most important thing for him this season is to get regular minutes. Hopefully at a team like Sunderland he'll have the opportunity to do that

dinostar77

Hope he gets plenty of game time. Desperately needs it to develop.

Will be interesting to see how he progresses. If our scouts thought he was the 2nd best player in europe in his position for his age group when we signed him (behind ansu fati). Either they were crap scouts or we just havent seen anything so far of what he is capable of.

We should have loaned him back to atalanta for 2 seasons when we bought him.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Sunderland have played a 3 at the back and wingbacks system tonight. And won convincingly. Can see him struggling for minutes or playing up front, which doesn't suit him.

Champ

In fairness, it could easily be Elanga out on loan in the Championship. I think it would actually be good for him.
Not really, when Elanga is actually putting in useful performances.

Also not sure what that has to do with Amad, considering Elanga is miles ahead of Elanga in terms of development, but nevermind.

Champ

Sunderland have played a 3 at the back and wingbacks system tonight. And won convincingly. Can see him struggling for minutes or playing up front, which doesn't suit him.
What does suit him? Has anyone actually found a perfect position for him?

Number 10 maybe, but I've never actually seen anyone play him there. Could be wrong but I can't recall a game.
Right wing, he's played there several times and looked OK,
Up top he is lost,
Where else?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

When you're a kid that counts for a lot as typically the other stuff like goalscoring, physical ruggedness, engine etc can often be worked on. In some cases it doesn't work out. Let's see how it goes for Amad.

MinGin

We payed 37m (?) between him and Pellistri and I dont see a plan by the club for either of them. Nor do I see them breaking into the first team. The amount of money we've pissed away is astounding
This is some deal who dreamed by some people in here when we were going to sign Antony.
Young talent, no population, and cheap!

luke511

Since joining united his goals per 90 is 0.84 and assists per 90 is 0.35, both very productive values, you're way off there.

justsomebloke

Is it just me, or does this Sunderland move seem a bit strange? I mean, for the type of player he is, is a newly promoted Championship side who just lost their Manager the right place to go? You don't know what the new guy will bring, and if they're a club trying to stave off demotion are they really going to be playing the sort of football in which Amad would thrive?

And for the quality of player he's supposed to be (and has largely looked like, in his few cameos at United), is the Championship really the right place? Why not the Dutch League, or maybe Portugal?

led_scholes

Is it just me, or does this Sunderland move seem a bit strange? I mean, for the type of player he is, is a newly promoted Championship side who just lost their Manager the right place to go? You don't know what the new guy will bring, and if they're a club trying to stave off demotion are they really going to be playing the sort of football in which Amad would thrive?

And for the quality of player he's supposed to be (and has largely looked like, in his few cameos at United), is the Championship really the right place? Why not the Dutch League, or maybe Portugal?
Maybe no one was interested to him from these countries? Or maybe we believe that playing under pressure will help him mentally.

I do wonder though if people at our club are pushing players to championship instead of Belgium, Netherlands or Portugal because they believe players must adjust to the physicality of the league, i. e we still value physicality over technique and positioning.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He was one of the forward option in a 343 setup at Atalanta. Granted it was couple of Years back but he can play there.

justsomebloke

Maybe no one was interested to him from these countries? Or maybe we believe that playing under pressure will help him mentally.

I do wonder though if people at our club are pushing players to championship instead of Belgium, Netherlands or Portugal because they believe players must adjust to the physicality of the league, i. e we still value physicality over technique and positioning.
I think they have pressure in Holland and Portugal too. :D

I really hope you're not right in your suspicion, although I've had the same thought. Unless they think he's done developing the other aspects of his game and just needs to learn how to mentally cope with physicality, it doesn't seem like a very smart approach to me. The fact he's being loaned out to a championship club and not to a club playing at a higher level doesn't exactly suggest he's done developing skill-wise.

If Amad is going to make it, it's not going to be because of his ability to handle the physical aspects of his game. So why don't we send him somewhere that will help him develop his potential in the things he does well. He can learn about Tuesday nights in Stoke later on. If indeed he needs that, after half a season in Scotland.

This all just gives me the same vibes as NHL teams burying skilled young european prospects in the AHL to help them "acclimatise to the North American game", despite the well-documented idiocy of that approach.

led_scholes

I think they have pressure in Holland and Portugal too. :D

I really hope you're not right in your suspicion, although I've had the same thought. Unless they think he's done developing the other aspects of his game and just needs to learn how to mentally cope with physicality, it doesn't seem like a very smart approach to me. The fact he's being loaned out to a championship club and not to a club playing at a higher level doesn't exactly suggest he's done developing skill-wise.

If Amad is going to make it, it's not going to be because of his ability to handle the physical aspects of his game. So why don't we send him somewhere that will help him develop his potential in the things he does well. He can learn about Tuesday nights in Stoke later on. If indeed he needs that, after half a season in Scotland.

This all just gives me the same vibes as NHL teams burying skilled young european prospects in the AHL to help them "acclimatise to the North American game", despite the well-documented idiocy of that approach.
Oh they have pressure but maybe the teams interested were some with mid table aspirations. Usually fighting for relegation is more demanding. But that's a wild guess on my part.

I agree that I prefer players going to league with more advanced tactics and skills. Even clubs in countries like Czhechia which can offer European football can be more beneficial.

Marwood

Think he just needs to play some actual football for us to know what he's really about.

The lad's been semi retired since we signed him.

James_42

Sending him out on loan to Rangers and now Sunderland seems like we don't even care if he is a success or not.

I feel like the person responsible for finding loans for our players is awful at their job.

mu4c_20le

Sending him out on loan to Rangers and now Sunderland seems like we don't even care if he is a success or not.

I feel like the person responsible for finding loans for our players is awful at their job.
Isn't it still Les Parry?

Kill3r7

Agreed. Although it’s also surprising that French, Dutch or Italian teams haven’t shown any interest in a loan.

DanClancy

For a lad who made his debut in Serie A at 17 its a disappointment he's where he is today, just hope he plays but I have my doubts.

hobbers

Sad but expected that there's no first division side in any European league interested in taking him on loan.

Smores

The championship is a very decent standard these days. People saying he's going there just to learn a physical game are doing it a disservice.

If he'd gone to the Dutch league most teams he'd face there are no better than the championship. Although a club with European football would have been beneficial.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
People overrate his current level. If anything Championship is slightly too high in my opinion. He needs to be playing week in week out.

EngimaMK

Sunderland fans seem a bit underwhelmed by him and apparently have a surplus of wingers competing for minutes.

Really should go to a club that needs wingers rather than one that has too many?

Not that I know, just what I gathered from browsing Sunderland forum message boards.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

It's not physicality, it's intensity that he lacks. And if you think the Championship isn't a skilful league then you are being disrespectful. It is very competitive and also develops good quality players such as Olise, Eze, Benrahma in recent years.

led_scholes

It's not physicality, it's intensity that he lacks. And if you think the Championship isn't a skilful league then you are being disrespectful. It is very competitive and also develops good quality players such as Olise, Eze, Benrahma in recent years.
I didn't say it is not skilfull. I said it's less skilful than other leagues, such as the Portuguese or the Belgian. And I haven't watched Sunderland for years, but I don't remember them as a very skilfull team

Trequarista10

Sad but expected that there's no first division side in any European league interested in taking him on loan.
I'd rather he went down a division tbh. Lots of loans to sides in the top leagues don't work, as pressure is high and loan players are the first to get dropped, especially ones with little first team experience. See Januzaj to Dortmund, Ampadu to Leipzig, Rossi to Newcastle etc. Prefer him to play 40 games in the Championship and (hopefully) rank up a decent tally of goals and assists. Then re-assess next year if he can either be part of our first team squad or a loan to a top division side.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Is it just me, or does this Sunderland move seem a bit strange? I mean, for the type of player he is, is a newly promoted Championship side who just lost their Manager the right place to go?
Do United ever do a loan that makes any sense? When they do, I assume it’s just by luck. Mjebri and Amad have both cost tens of millions and have been sent to two of the least stable EPL clubs. On the other hand, Mowbray has only just taken over and will likely move from 3-5-2. It’s not what he usually plays.

I think it’s up to Amad to make it work now, regardless of whether the loan is the right one. He’s 20 now and has done pretty much feck all in the game other than be hyped at youth level a few years ago. Even then, people there were mixed on how good he would actually end up being at senior level.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Do United ever do a loan that makes any sense? When they do, I assume it’s just by luck. Mjebri and Amad have both cost tens of millions and have been sent to two of the least stable EPL clubs. On the other hand, Mowbray has only just taken over and will likely move from 3-5-2. It’s not what he usually plays.

I think it’s up to Amad to make it work now, regardless of whether the loan is the right one. He’s 20 now and has done pretty much feck all in the game other than be hyped at youth level a few years ago. Even then, people there were mixed on how good he would actually end up being at senior level.
Hannibal cost £5m.

Status
Not open for further replies.