Amad Diallo | Rangers loan watch

Pickle85

He'd made 3 sub appearances totalling about half an hour, I guess maybe the poster meant youth games?
In which case, with all due respect to the poster, it's crazy to say that those proved he's ready to be in and around the first team. Not only is Atalanta way behind us in terms of their first team, but the performances being used to prove his readiness were for their youth team!

iHicksy

He'd made 3 sub appearances totalling about half an hour, I guess maybe the poster meant youth games?
Sorry I should have clarified - Yes I followed him for a while as one of my friends who's dutch but supports Atlanta kept raving about him and posts his games in our whatsapp group along with some Ajax youth (his second team)

RORY65

Sorry I should have clarified - Yes I followed him for a while as one of my friends who's dutch but supports Atlanta kept raving about him and posts his games in our whatsapp group along with some Ajax youth (his second team)
That's fair enough, I'll be honest I hadn't heard of him before we signed (I would know the very well-known wonderkids but not some of the slightly less heralded ones) but the one constant has been how positively people who saw him as a youth player speak about his potential. I think he needs another loan, maybe at a lower level but just somewhere where he will play, before we can assess his role for United moving forward.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The Diallo and Pellestri transfer window remains one of the more baffling in our history, given our desperate we were for a right-sided player (and arguably still are given we ultimately signed Sancho... and have largely played him on the left).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The desperation to completely sign him off or to sell him is quite surprising to me to be honest, especially considering that he never got a proper chance to secure his place neither for us (after some promising performances that included a key goal against AC Milan) not for Rangers (after the infamous Celtic game).

Now we finally get a manager who prioritises possession, quick passing and intelligence over physicality and you are happy to sell our most technically gifted youngster without giving him a shot? Especially since we only really have Sancho for that right wing place and he often plays on the left.

Speako

Think he's saying Bassey is similar to AWB but left-sided. Good at tackling, doesn't offer much going forward.
Now that makes sense, cheers. Although I don’t personally see the comparison at all, which is why it flew firmly over my head.

Mainoldo

The desperation to completely sign him off or to sell him is quite surprising to me to be honest, especially considering that he never got a proper chance to secure his place neither for us (after some promising performances that included a key goal against AC Milan) not for Rangers (after the infamous Celtic game).

Now we finally get a manager who prioritises possession, quick passing and intelligence over physicality and you are happy to sell our most technically gifted youngster without giving him a shot? Especially since we only really have Sancho for that right wing place and he often plays on the left.
His skill set isn’t a problem. He’s just too weak. Gym work and a championship loan I feel.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Now that makes sense, cheers. Although I don’t personally see the comparison at all, which is why it flew firmly over my head.
I wouldn't be knowing really, last night was the first time I saw Bassey. A quick look at his stats shows he doesn't have many assists for the season but then I think he plays as a central defender much of the time.

Based on not much, think he might suit playing the left sided role in a back 3.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
His skill set isn’t a problem. He’s just too weak. Gym work and a championship loan I feel.
But apparently we need to sell him now to cover our losses, that's what I don't get.

sillwuka

19.5 mil upfront on Amad, quite a bit of money. We need to try and aid his development in whichever way we can.

The transfer was a bit of a punt wasn't it.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Ideally I’d like to see him play a squad role for one of the promoted teams next year. That would be good. I think he could explode in this league next year given the correct circumstances under a manager who believes in him

In reality he’ll probably be understudy to our new RW signing. I’m not sure he’ll get enough games or exposure to kick up through the gears

Last edited:

Resch

Many big teams have farmteams, where they can park talent. As United I would look for a team in a small league to cooperate with. Would be a perfect place to develop mentally and physically. Belgium, Switzerland, Austria have enough good teams, which play internationally, which would sell their souls for a player like Diallo. The big difference to all the U23 and U21 leagues, in Belgium, etc. They have to play against men, experienced players....

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Where does he play? I’m sure we’ll be on the loan market for PL youngsters and we were linked last summer.

Pickle85

But apparently we need to sell him now to cover our losses, that's what I don't get.
I think the idea is that cutting your losses can be a good thing. I've personally seen very little from him to convince me there's anything special there...it strikes me as yet another game of 'pin the tail on the winger' gone awry. That said, another season to see how he goes maybe, but much beyond that and we're perpetuating the recent trend of rewarding mediocrity.

Speako

Bassey = AWB on the left.
He's not the most composed, but has great powers of recovery with his speed and tackling.
I’ve never seen AWB play one game near the level Bassey played last night. Granted though, that’s pretty much all I’ve seen him play, so may well have been an exception rather than the rule!

Swedish_Plumber

i hope Rangers win it for Amad. Plus they deserve something out of this season even if it’s rangers

What a show :lol:

Think it’s only Rangers and Hibs fans supporting them today up here! Hopefully be a good game anyways and not one of those boring dominant old firm wins we see so much of.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Casuals weren't watching all his games for Abidjan under 6's? You guys don't know what you missed, something special about this kid.

Some absolute bollocks being posted in this thread.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Maybe him and Pellestri just aren't that good? Both can't get into very mediocre teams.

Scott Arfield is 33 and was a Burnley reserve before joining Rangers and he's coming in before Amad.
I think that Redcafe has a somewhat unrealistic view of footballers talents at a young age.

The amount of talent that are regulars in top flight teams before they are in their 20s are so incredibly few. Just because we know of a few that play for Dortmund and other teams in Europe, doesnt mean that they are the norm. Martin Ødegaard could barely get into Herenveens team at the age of 19, then he was suddenly the best midfielder for half a season in La Liga at the age of 21 and will be Arsenals new captain at the age of 23. Diallo is 19, Pellestri is 20, both of them have more than enough time to break out as elite footballers, they are not done developing by any stretch of the imagination.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The first touch is superb..

Now tell me again this is a failed loan. Look at the kids face, adorable.

I'm sure this will have done him a lot of good. Much better than sitting on the bench for us this season anyway.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Now tell me again this is a failed loan. Look at the kids face, adorable.

I'm sure this will have done him a lot of good. Much better than sitting on the bench for us this season anyway.
Yep, that'll be next season.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Has a touch of gold.
I don't know why but he's one of those kids that I really hole makes it here, seems to be a very sweet kid.