Amad Diallo signs for Manchester United

SuperiorXI

I'd say cuts in and does like to occupy the half space (between the CB and fullback). I'd describe him as a wide play maker from the games ive watched off him at youth level which are available on YouTube if you're interested.
Nice one, so more of what we've been used to the past few years. We really need to get someone that will stay wide and stretch teams, can't be having both sides cutting in all the time.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Can't believe we may actually field a RWF in the RWF position. Must have been a decade since we did that properly.

Actually thinking back, didn't we play Di Maria on the left side of midfield? He was the only true right-sided player we've signed since Valencia, and we didn't even play him there!

MalcolmTucker

Nice one, so more of what we've been used to the past few years. We really need to get someone that will stay wide and stretch teams, can't be having both sides cutting in all the time.
How many top teams have traditional wingers these days? It's a dated position

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Hold on there sailor, how about we actually see what he can do before we decide what we don't and don't need.

Kyonn

Can anyone tell me if he's a RW that cuts in often or does he take it out wide?
He's left footed and from all the highlights looks like he cuts in. Facundo is the more traditional winger of the two

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How many top teams have traditional wingers these days? It's a dated position
You think a prime Giggsy wouldn't tear up defenses in the modern day? Or a Figo? There's certainly quite a few out there, orthodox wingers. Top of my head, Albrighton. Wasn't he a regular in their title winning side?

I suspect the decrease of bona fide wingers is related to the lack of bona fide #9s.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Traore is probably the most traditional right winger in the league.

SuperiorXI

Hold on there sailor, how about we actually see what he can do before we decide what we don't and don't need.
Diallo may well be able to do it, my comment wasn't necessarily a shot at him.

If you have both sides cutting in all the time you become predictable and easy to defend against and we've seen a lot of this over the recent years at united. I don't agree it's a dated position, more of a neglected position.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You think a prime Giggsy wouldn't tear up defenses in the modern day? Or a Figo? There's certainly quite a few out there, orthodox wingers. Top of my head, Albrighton. Wasn't he a regular in their title winning side?

I suspect the decrease of bona fide wingers is related to the lack of bona fide #9s.
Both Giggs and Figo would likely play off the opposite wing if they were coming through today.

markhughes

The lad had played 4 games for Atlanta and people are looking for him to be involved already? I’d think under 23s and then a loan is more likely surely?

I would think it’s a signing for the future rather than now unless I’m missing something?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The lad had played 4 games for Atlanta and people are looking for him to be involved already? I’d think under 23s and then a loan is more likely surely?

I would think it’s a signing for the future rather than now unless I’m missing something?
If he is good enough he is old enough.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

At that price I think we can expect him to be involved a little earlier. Maybe a few tune ups in the u23’s but he won’t be going on loan.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I just don't see any benefit of him playing U23 football, he's demonstrated how good he is by being in Atlanta's first team set up for ages, even with the limited senior appearances.Greenwood barely played any youth football last year, we introduced him in EL and cup games then he eventually nailed down a starting spot, that should be the trajectory we're aiming for with Diallo.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
But he wasn't deemed good enough at Atalanta. I think that's his point.
His point would be wrong. They changed style (maybe even coach?) and he didn’t really suit the way they wanted to play anymore

ole has already said that he’s knocking on the door in training

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

It borders on the delusional, doesn’t it?

markhughes

His point would be wrong. They changed style (maybe even coach?) and he didn’t really suit the way they wanted to play anymore

ole has already said that he’s knocking on the door in training
That was my point indeed, hopefully you are right but my concern is that he can’t get in the Atlanta team and people want him to be involved already, just seems premature.

Hopefully you are right but I wouldn’t think he would be at Premier League level (yet) if he couldn’t hold down a place there.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

This is just overly cautious. He’s cost £20 million and been touted as a generation talent. Players like that don’t go on loan so either he’s been massively overrated or he will stay with the first team and feature at some stage this season.

Last edited:

macheda14

Ole has said he expects him to the in the squad within 4 weeks.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That was my point indeed, hopefully you are right but my concern is that he can’t get in the Atlanta team and people want him to be involved already, just seems premature.

Hopefully you are right but I wouldn’t think he would be at Premier League level (yet) if he couldn’t hold down a place there.
Like I said, as I understand it they changed to a style that wasn’t as adventurous so he wasn’t seen as more than a super sub. But he’s extremely highly rated. Time will tell, but Ole certainly seems impressed by what he’s seen in training. I would say though that we need to remind ourselves how young he is and temper our expectations a little

Mcking

If Solskjaer was manager, Anthony Martial's first season with us wouldn't have happened.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If Solskjaer was manager, Anthony Martial's first season with us wouldn't have happened.
What? Like when he looked to a 17 year old Greenwood to bail us out last season against defensive teams?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

No. He will play in the first team this season.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
:confused: Ole loves the youth. Just because Diallo isn’t starting after landing what 3 days ago?
And Martial already had a full season experience for Monaco and Potentially had gotten capped by France as well

Diallo has played about 2 games off the bench

RUCK4444

And Martial already had a full season experience for Monaco and Potentially had gotten capped by France as well

Diallo has played about 2 games off the bench
Yeah. The good thing is he’s training with the first team and doing well, his time will come.

MalcolmTucker

I think the fact you had to name Albrighton as an example kind of proves my point.

MAME DIOUF 32

Thread title should be amended. He's made it clear what his name is.

I hope he appears on the bench soon. If he's this massive talent then surely it's better to start getting him ready even if he's not coming on.

Bojan Djordjic

It borders on the delusional, doesn’t it?
He's 18 and supposedly a star in the making who's main attributes are dribbling and link up play. He can be hardly less effectual than fellow teenager Mason Greenwood in that position. Hardly a stretch to imagine he will get a few games when we are struggling for an effective player to play in that role.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Thread title should be amended. He's made it clear what his name is.

I hope he appears on the bench soon. If he's this massive talent then surely it's better to start getting him ready even if he's not coming on.
Don't abuse the report function please. Just tag a modmin with any non-urgent request.