Amad Diallo | Sunderland Loan Watch

OleGunnar20

Seems he's really starting to shine at Sunderland. Great news.

Another season on loan after this one and I think he'll be ready to start challenging for a place here. The talent is obvious.

Chief123

It feels like one of a very few loan spells that’s actually working out for one of our players! It’s like every player that goes out on loan for us seems to be cursed.

Amad obviously has some serious potential. Really hope we get to see it come to fruition at Utd at some point. I have more hope in him than Elanga.

I know people are wondering why Elanga is being given more opportunity at Utd than Amad. But the truth is Amad will probably benefit more from this loan spell than he would have by getting the little minutes that Elanga gets at Utd. If anything, Elanga could do with a loan spell too but we can’t afford to offload so many at this moment.

RC89

Mowbray seems to rate him very highly. Wouldn't hurt to let him stay at Sunderland for one more season.
Agreed but we'd have to get him to sign another contract first I reckon. One more season on loan and he'll only have a year left on his existing contract.

Longlivekeano

Great news, he can come back in January to first team squad and take Elanga’s place. Maybe elanga should go out on loan instead.

I see ahmad as a mix between Robben/Shaun-Wright Phillips. If he ends up somewherebelow Robben and above wright Phillips, he will have a good career with us or other EPL teams

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Scored in a friendly for Sunderland today.
Yup and a tackle on him was the cause of a massive ruck :lol: :lol:

Edit: was actually someone else, but he caught one earlier on in the game which started the tension

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Amad Diallo: 8/10
Looks very confident, beating players for fun and made his goal look very easy after being played in by Ba. One great counter attack by Amad should have resulted in another goal but for Simms to overhit his shot.

Man of the Match: Amad Diallo
Scored the winner with a really well taken goal, was played in by Ba and casually sat the goalkeeper down and finished with aplomb. Had another great counter attack when he skipped past players with ease but Simms couldn’t finish off the Manchester United loanee’s good work.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/20...in-the-sun-ends-with-a-1-0-win-for-sunderland

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Hopefully, this is his tipping point. But I suspect it would be best to keep him on loan for another season and then bring him back and help share the load with Bruno.... unless the new owners want a team full of superstars!

Black Alabaster

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...all-news/man-united-amad-diallo-news-25622935

"Manchester United are hopeful Amad can establish himself in the first-team squad when he returns from his loan spell with Sunderland."

Glad the club organised a good loan for him and are watching him closely. He has added some intensity to his game he was lacking and is looking good in central areas too.

Hope he becomes our rotation option at RW next season, two left footers out there would give us good balance although minutes for Sancho becomes a big problem if we do bring Amad back. Not to mention Elanga.

Mr PG

He's a no 10 and he can execute most functions and passes with the right weight even at full pelt. I fear he's still too weak for the premier league. Dunno if he's done growing.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
He's a no 10 and he can execute most functions and passes with the right weight even at full pelt. I fear he's still too weak for the premier league. Dunno if he's done growing.
Championship is probably more physical than the PL so if he's ok there then shouldn't be an issue

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Championship is probably more physical than the PL so if he's ok there then shouldn't be an issue
It all depends on what type of player you are, what your strengths are.

There is no playing type that struggles more in the PL than someone who could live on their physic in like France, Germany or the Netherlands — but are overmatched in the PL. And the difference is big there, thought about it in our game against Southampton when we had (IIRC) Sancho and Elanga on the pitch, and every time they ended up in a foot race it was against someone like 100 lbs heavier than them — that could keep up in terms of speed.

I think guys with great technic usually does pretty well adjusting to the PL. Diallo lives some on his speed in the Championship, but he is more of the extremely slippery time who just slips through rather than someone who puts the ball into an area and bets on him getting first to it like say a Kingsley Coman.

I wouldn’t rule out Diallo doing well in the PL. But at the same time — he really haven’t played a ton for Sunderland. I am definitely not sure that it wouldn’t be very important for him to stay the rest of the season there.

TheReligion

Abusive
He can’t work on his strength but as pointed out being in the Championship will very much help with that and so far he’s coping okay.

Bojan Djordjic

I'd be conflicted about him coming back. The loan seems to be doing him the world of good and no point in being back in Manchester warming the bench when playing games against lumps of men is probably what will serve him best now. I'm team ETH all the way but I do wish he was a bit more adventurous with his subs. How Iqbal hasn't even gotten a minute this year after the pre-season he had I'll never know. Same with Pellistri to a lesser degree.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
"Amad came to the party for us - and I feel he's really settling in with the group. There's an understanding now that this kid has got real talent and deserves to be respected within the team. For me to pick him over Patrick Roberts... I sat in a press room a couple of weeks ago and said I didn't think there was a better player in the league than Roberts. Amad has been unbelievable in training, so fast with his feet and direct, and his physical data from all our recent games has been incredible. He scored a wonderful goal, and we see him do that every day in training."
Great comments. I would also like to see him finish the season there. Sounds like he's become a key player for them. Keep this up for the rest of the season and he can come back full of confidence next season.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I wouldn't recall him unless we can't find a Ronaldo replacement.

If Martial is injured which is likely Rashford will play up top and we'll need cover for the wings.

LW
Rashford
Garnacho
Sancho

CF
Martial
Rashford

RW
Antony
Elanga
Amad

maverickjesus

We need to recall him so we have options, the likelihood of us getting anyone decent in Jan is low so Rashford is going to have to cover (god help us). If we do pick someone up we can just dump him into the reserves or wherever until the summer.

BerryBerryShrew

We need to recall him so we have options, the likelihood of us getting anyone decent in Jan is low so Rashford is going to have to cover (god help us). If we do pick someone up we can just dump him into the reserves or wherever until the summer.
That would be terrible for his development though.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It was always clear he had lots of talent, and an incredible work rate. But the step up from youth football to the premier league was always going to be a lot. Especially for such a small player.

Whenever he plays for the U23s he looks too good for that level, but likewise he looks raw and peripheral at PL level. This loan has been perfect to help him bridge the gap between the two. I hope he stays there for the whole season and can really get through the grind of a long season and add some serious first team experience to his CV. It’ll do him the world of good.

Whats been mental are the amount of people writing him off, at his age, following a big move, and with his lack of first team experience. From this point we should really see him as a two year project, because where is now and where he can be in two years, is light years apart. He is only 20, and to me he has the talent, potential, and worth ethic to make a long term development project worthwhile.

I don’t have a crystal ball and I can’t tell you if he’s going to make it at the very highest level yet; but what I will say is that he has as much chance and as much evident talent as most of the top prospects we’ve had come out of the academy in recent years. (I know he isn’t an academy player, just making the point in development terms).

The only sure things I’ve seen come through in the Last 5-7 years are Rashford and Greenwood. Could Amad get to their level? I don’t see why not, but more to the point he is as good as any player we’ve had come through who isn’t either of those two. He really does have all the tools, potentially. People just expected far too much, far too soon.

Im hoping, against hope, that he’ll be given the time and patience he needs to develop properly, and of course the pathway. He’s a very modern player, and has an extremely high level of press resistance, and close control. I think he’s going to be a star personally, but I’m not ready to put my house on it.

In terms of young talent on the verge of the first team - something I personally find to be the most gratifying aspect of supporting Manchester United - we have four really exciting players: Amad, Hannibal, Fernandez and Garnacho. All four could be squad players, getting considerable minutes, from next season.

Garnacho has exploded on to the scene, but patience is going to be needed because he’s going to have some challenging times ahead as opposing teams learn his game. But all four of those players are the real deal I think. After that I have a lot of time for Shoretire, just think he’s a couple of years away from taking that next step. Fernandez (PNE), Amad (Sunderland), and Hannibal (Birmingham), are enjoying superb loans in the championship, and all showing their class. I am not sure people realise how significant that is, because it’s been a while since we had one good loan, let alone three simultaneously. I’m also not sure people get what an incredible generation of footballers we have coming through, how much that’s going to save us in the transfer market, and how superb it will be to integrate them all into the first team squad next season.

I think they are all good enough to make it, maybe not all as first team starters, but almost certainly as homegrown squad players.

Last edited:

Lost bear

It was always clear he had lots of talent, and an incredible work rate. But the step up from youth football to the premier league was always going to be a lot. Especially for such a small player.

Whenever he plays for the U23s he looks too good for that level, but likewise he looks raw and peripheral at PL level. This loan has been perfect to help him bridge the gap between the two. I hope he stays there for the whole season and can really get through the grind of a long season and add some serious first team experience to his CV. It’ll do him the world of good.

Whats been mental are the amount of people writing him off, at his age, following a big move, and with his lack of first team experience. From this point we should really see him as a two year project, because where is now and where he can be in two years, is light years apart. He is only 20, and to me he has the talent, potential, and worth ethic to make a long term development project worthwhile.

I don’t have a crystal ball and I can’t tell you if he’s going to make it at the very highest level yet; but what I will say is that he has as much chance and as much evident talent as most of the top prospects we’ve had come out of the academy in recent years. (I know he isn’t an academy player, just making the point in development terms).

The only sure things I’ve seen come through in the Last 5-7 years are Rashford and Greenwood. Could Amad get to their level? I don’t see why not, but more to the point he is as good as any player we’ve had come through who isn’t either of those two. He really does have all the tools, potentially. People just expected far too much, far too soon.

Im hoping, against hope, that he’ll be given the time and patience he needs to develop properly, and of course the pathway. He’s a very modern player, and has an extremely high level of press resistance, and close control. I think he’s going to be a star personally, but I’m not ready to put my house on it.

In terms of young talent on the verge of the first team - something I personally find to be the most gratifying aspect of supporting Manchester United - we have four really exciting players: Amad, Hannibal, Fernandez and Garnacho. All four could be squad players, getting considerable minutes, from next season.

Garnacho has exploded on to the scene, but patience is going to be needed because he’s going to have some challenging times ahead as opposing teams learn his game. But all four of those players are the real deal I think. After that I have a lot of time for Shoretire, just think he’s a couple of years away from taking that next step. Fernandez (PNE), Amad (Sunderland), and Hannibal (Birmingham), are enjoying superb loans in the championship, and all showing their class. I am not sure people realise how significant that is, because it’s been a while since we had one good loan, let alone three simultaneously. I’m also not sure people get what an incredible generation of footballers we have coming through, how much that’s going to save us in the transfer market, and how superb it will be to integrate them all into the first team squad next season.

I think they are all good enough to make it, maybe not all as first team starters, but almost certainly as homegrown squad players.
Nice post, very perceptive I think.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Nice post, very perceptive I think.
Cheers. I will say I forgot Garner’s championship loan which was also very successful and led to a 15m sale of the player. He was actually one that I thought was the most likely of that crop to make it as a Manchester United player because for the i23s he displayed a level of fame intelligence that you just can’t teach. His movement and use of the ball was mature well beyond his years. He also had a wicked shot on him, that seems to have been stifled in the move to senior football.

So this predicting of young players development is a tricky and risky game, but what is needed in every case is clear; patience and grounding. Neither hype nor excessive criticism helps in the development process. Garnacho is flavour of the month, but he’ll have tough times and I hope calm heads prevail. Same with all of them. If they have the talent, potential, and the work ethic and attitude to match, you have to give some of these players until they are 22-23, to really see what you are dealing with. That’s why loans are so important. I’ve lost count of the amount of hugely talented players that have been let go from big clubs only to explode when they went elsewhere and accumulated enough experience to put it all together between the ages of 22 and 24/5.

People who actually watched Fergie’s Fledgings come through, will tell you that most of those players only really started to display consistent premier league excellence from about 22/23 onwards. Salah and De Bruyne are perfect examples of players who didn’t really take that step up until they were 23/24. Gareth Bale is another.

sglowrider

Well said.
A lot of people have lost all sense of perspective. They will think that so & so is the best thing since sliced bread but 18 months later thinks that he is useless and needs to be sold. It's unfortunate that in the age of social media, the first victim is patience.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Well said.
A lot of people have lost all sense of perspective. They will think that so & so is the best thing since sliced bread but 18 months later thinks that he is useless and needs to be sold. It's unfortunate that in the age of social media, the first victim is patience.
Exactly. We’ve seen some pretty definitive opinions, posts and threads off here on the back of one game, let alone one season. The amount of times you see a you g player have one bad game and people call him shit and say he’ll never be good enough, is incredible when you consider our pedigree and culture of academy development. People turn on players, especially young players, so so fast. What is most predictable though is that the first people to overhype a young player, based off a season in the u23s or a couple of good performances in the first team, will be the first to also call for his head after one bad game.

Most of the noise surrounding young players on fan forums, is nonsense and shouldn’t be given the time of day. It makes you thankful we have good coaches at youth level, and a thoughtful manager.

sglowrider

Most of the noise surrounding young players on fan forums, is nonsense and shouldn’t be given the time of day. It makes you thankful we have good coaches at youth level, and a thoughtful manager.

But... but the best judge of football players are the FM2022 keyboard warriors... didn't you know?

Tbh I am not sure half the posters have ever played organised sports never mind footie.

NoPace

That would be terrible for his development though.
Yeah, he's doing well and we have Garnacho and Rashford looking good at LW so Sancho needs games on the right when we do rest Antony anyways. There's also Pellistri around we might as well give a shot to if we're not selling or loaning him.

cyberman

Bring him back to send him out again. He’s obviously too good for that level

sglowrider

Yeah, he's doing well and we have Garnacho and Rashford looking good at LW so Sancho needs games on the right when we do rest Antony anyways. There's also Pellistri around we might as well give a shot to if we're not selling or loaning him.
Let him stay on loan for the next couple of seasons. It's barely 19. Mowbray has been good to him. Slowly building his confidence up and allowing him to slowly impose himself on the game.

Its easier for kids like Garnacho, simply with relying on his pace and trickery on the wing. I see Amad a 10 or a more central mid in the long term. So he needs to be given some time & patience.