Amad Diallo | Sunderland Loan Watch

Lost bear

I'd lean towards loaning him to an EPL team, we're absolutely stacked for wingers at the moment and I don't think he'd play that much. It would have to be the right team of course, I'm not sure how much good playing for a team who see little of the ball.

Would people be dead against loaning him to Sunderland for another year?
Not sure. I'd like him back in a way as I do think he could contribute to the first team. On the other hand, either a premiership loan or a further period at Sunderland might benefit him still more; he is apparently really appreciated there and has clearly progressed. It's a tough one- I'm happy to leave that decision to ETH rather than me- or even the CAF. I've come to trust ETH's judgement. I think our youngsters are in good hands, for the first time in years.

Lentwood

I always say that most 'elite' players will be 'elite' players by the time they hit 20/21...but that there are a few exceptions depending on factors like injuries, position or body type.

I actually think Amad still has the potential to be an elite player but I dont think we should be rushing him back to United. He is clearly exceptionally talented. From a technical skills perspective, he's outstanding.

His issues are that he was very lightweight late into his teens and he hasnt actually played many senior games.

For me, it would be absolutely ideal if he went on loan next season to a Premier League club. I'd be willing to give him until he's at least 22/23 to determine what his full potential is, but he wont hit that if he's not playing every week

Big_Bro

I use to look at Amad with my Messi glasses on, now I think he is more of a David Silva.

Fabio Rochemback

Not sure. I'd like him back in a way as I do think he could contribute to the first team. On the other hand, either a premiership loan or a further period at Sunderland might benefit him still more; he is apparently really appreciated there and has clearly progressed. It's a tough one- I'm happy to leave that decision to ETH rather than me- or even the CAF. I've come to trust ETH's judgement. I think our youngsters are in good hands, for the first time in years.
It would have to be a PL team who see a fair amount of the ball and like to keep it on the ground, I think. Better he stays a year at Sunderland than slogging away for a PL team who can't get the best out of him like Sunderland seem to be doing.

Lost bear

It would have to be a PL team who see a fair amount of the ball and like to keep it on the ground, I think. Better he stays a year at Sunderland than slogging away for a PL team who can't get the best out of him like Sunderland seem to be doing.
Yeah, agree with that.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He'll be 21 by the start of next season, be absolutely pointless to send him back to the Championship considering he's already shown he's above that level.

Lost bear

He'll be 21 by the start of next season, be absolutely pointless to send him back to the Championship considering he's already shown he's above that level.
I’m a way, yes, I see what you mean. On the other hand he has really begun to blossom there, to show what he’s got. Sometimes a club just fits. Between him and ETH I’m pretty confident it’ll be sorted for the best.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’m a way, yes, I see what you mean. On the other hand he has really begun to blossom there, to show what he’s got. Sometimes a club just fits. Between him and ETH I’m pretty confident it’ll be sorted for the best.
I understand the thought process and if he was 19 going on 20 I'd maybe agree but by 21 we really need to testing him against PL opposition.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I understand the thought process and if he was 19 going on 20 I'd maybe agree but by 21 we really need to testing him against PL opposition.
He played pretty well against Fulham in the 1st leg by most accounts, so it sounds like he's ready for a step up.

The issue is finding a side that will play him regularly. Somebody like Palace might be nice.

dutchred

I'd bring him back as competition for Antony. He would get enough games and be under ETH supervision

SinNombre

He played pretty well against Fulham in the 1st leg by most accounts, so it sounds like he's ready for a step up.

The issue is finding a side that will play him regularly. Somebody like Palace might be nice.
Boro once they get promoted with Carrick hopefully.

next_number_seven

At 1:10 in the above video you can see him accelerate away from a QPR player so he's not that slow.

I'd bring him back next season and give him minutes. If he's not good enough, then sell him. I think him and Garnacho would be great off the bench.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I always say that most 'elite' players will be 'elite' players by the time they hit 20/21...but that there are a few exceptions depending on factors like injuries, position or body type.

I actually think Amad still has the potential to be an elite player but I dont think we should be rushing him back to United. He is clearly exceptionally talented. From a technical skills perspective, he's outstanding.

His issues are that he was very lightweight late into his teens and he hasnt actually played many senior games.

For me, it would be absolutely ideal if he went on loan next season to a Premier League club. I'd be willing to give him until he's at least 22/23 to determine what his full potential is, but he wont hit that if he's not playing every week
I don’t think elite players grow on trees. If you’re restricting your view to the Rooneys, Ronaldos and Iniestas of this world then you’re going to be consistently disappointed by young footballers. We have had many good footballers contribute to our successes that weren’t elite at 20/21. Heck we’ve barely had any who were when you think about it. Can you name a few?

Red Comet

You should know that Paul Scholes only made appearances in the first team when he's 21.... and as a forward when Cantona got suspected for that flying kick. David Beckham was on loan at Preston NE at 19, Roy Keane made sporadic appearances for Nottingham Forest first team at 19, and Harry Kane was still on taking a loan tour at several clubs before being established as a first teamer in Spurs by 22.

Years of Football Manager Wonderkids have upended people's expectation of player progression. Wonderkids are exception, there are plenty of "elite" players who don't become "elite" till mid 20s.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
At 1:10 in the above video you can see him accelerate away from a QPR player so he's not that slow.

I'd bring him back next season and give him minutes. If he's not good enough, then sell him. I think him and Garnacho would be great off the bench.
He has some after-burners but just doesn't use it often. I don't think I have seen him use it since the academy games.

He shouldn't come back never season -- he won't replace Antony or Bruno next season -- esp since the latter plays nearly every game and there where I see his actual position. And you want to sell him if he doesn't replace them?

sglowrider

You should know that Paul Scholes only made appearances in the first team when he's 21.... and as a forward when Cantona got suspected for that flying kick. David Beckham was on loan at Preston NE at 19, Roy Keane made sporadic appearances for Nottingham Forest first team at 19, and Harry Kane was still on taking a loan tour at several clubs before being established as a first teamer in Spurs by 22.
Years of Football Manager Wonderkids have upended people's expectation of player progression. Wonderkids are exception, there are plenty of "elite" players who don't become "elite" till mid 20s.
Head on nail. And in 6 years' time, the same folks will be moaning about how poorly the club handles/manages academy players.

next_number_seven

He has some after-burners but just doesn't use it often. I don't think I have seen him use it since the academy games.

He shouldn't come back never season -- he won't replace Antony or Bruno next season -- esp since the latter plays nearly every game and there where I see his actual position. And you want to sell him if he doesn't replace them?
We'll have plenty of games for him to prove himself. He'll be 21 by preseason.

I think giving him minutes from the bench and starting some games will develop him.

ETH has a complex system of play so he needs to learn the system next season.
If he's not good enough, then I'd sell him on.

Another loan won't develop him that much.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
People complain about Antony's inability to beat a man with pace but also want Amad recalled to offer him competition...

He is quite clearly geared to play central in the Premier League. I have no idea if he will be able to do that. Looks like his loan form has been great, so I really hope he can transfer this into playing well for us.

Lentwood

The issue with this forum is that people want to take general statements (and I was clear that it was a general statement) and drag the debate into excruciating back-and-forth's about specific individuals. Happy to do that if you wish....Harry Kane was a famous 'late bloomer', an exception that proves the rule. Even then he was prolific from 21/22 and never looked back. Beckham made his United debut at 17 and his England debut at 21. He was a regular in the United side from 20. Roy Keane struggled to land a trial with an English club but eventually did so with Forest and almost immediately went from playing 'League of Ireland' football to starting in CM in the Premier League. Paul Scholes, despite his diminutive stature, made his United 1st team debut at 20 and scored two goals, becoming a mainstay from the following season (94/95).

Remember too, football was different in the early 90s. It wasn't the non-contact sport played on pristine pitches that it is today. There was a real chance young players could get seriously hurt playing against what basically amounted to hooligans in football kits (Vinnie Jones, John Fashanu, Duncan Ferguson, Neil Ruddock, Dennis Wise etc...) No wonder managers weren't mega-keen to chuck in 17 year-old children with that lot!

So despite you trying to name some players who disprove the notion (despite there really being no need to try to disprove a general notion), you've really just solidified the point. Which interestingly was defending Amad and re-iterating my belief that he should be given more time because he fits the profile of a late-bloomer.

We can go back and forth all day on the exact cut-off date by which a player should have shown 'elite qualities' and what the definition of 'elite' is....but I think most would agree that if, for example, Amad hits 23 and is still not a regular at United then he probably won't become 'elite'. That's why next season is a big one for Amad. This season proved he can be 'very good' after a somewhat worrying spell at Rangers. Next season, my point was all about the idea that he needs to step-up a level BUT still needs to be playing. So we should ONLY bring him back to United if we expect him to start 20+ games. Otherwise, he'd be better on loan at somewhere like Forest/Everton/Brentford etc....developing his skills in the PL

EDIT | one final comment, look at the very best Academy prospects we have produced post SAF. Rashford (in the team at 17), Greenwood (in the team at 17), Garnacho (in the team at 17). The rest (McTominay, Lingard, Henderson, Elanga, Garner etc....) might all become good/very good....but probably not "elite"

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

100%

Raven

The issue with this forum is that people want to take general statements (and I was clear that it was a general statement) and drag the debate into excruciating back-and-forth's about specific individuals. Happy to do that if you wish....Harry Kane was a famous 'late bloomer', an exception that proves the rule. Even then he was prolific from 21/22 and never looked back. Beckham made his United debut at 17 and his England debut at 21. He was a regular in the United side from 20. Roy Keane struggled to land a trial with an English club but eventually did so with Forest and almost immediately went from playing 'League of Ireland' football to starting in CM in the Premier League. Paul Scholes, despite his diminutive stature, made his United 1st team debut at 20 and scored two goals, becoming a mainstay from the following season (94/95).

Remember too, football was different in the early 90s. It wasn't the non-contact sport played on pristine pitches that it is today. There was a real chance young players could get seriously hurt playing against what basically amounted to hooligans in football kits (Vinnie Jones, John Fashanu, Duncan Ferguson, Neil Ruddock, Dennis Wise etc...) No wonder managers weren't mega-keen to chuck in 17 year-old children with that lot!

So despite you trying to name some players who disprove the notion (despite there really being no need to try to disprove a general notion), you've really just solidified the point. Which interestingly was defending Amad and re-iterating my belief that he should be given more time because he fits the profile of a late-bloomer.

We can go back and forth all day on the exact cut-off date by which a player should have shown 'elite qualities' and what the definition of 'elite' is....but I think most would agree that if, for example, Amad hits 23 and is still not a regular at United then he probably won't become 'elite'. That's why next season is a big one for Amad. This season proved he can be 'very good' after a somewhat worrying spell at Rangers. Next season, my point was all about the idea that he needs to step-up a level BUT still needs to be playing. So we should ONLY bring him back to United if we expect him to start 20+ games. Otherwise, he'd be better on loan at somewhere like Forest/Everton/Brentford etc....developing his skills in the PL

EDIT | one final comment, look at the very best Academy prospects we have produced post SAF. Rashford (in the team at 17), Greenwood (in the team at 17), Garnacho (in the team at 17). The rest (McTominay, Lingard, Henderson, Elanga, Garner etc....) might all become good/very good....but probably not "elite"
There are tonnes of elite players who weren't elite until they were in their mid twenties. I can't believe you've decided to write an essay about something that is so demonstrably false.

sglowrider

There are tonnes of elite players who weren't elite until they were in their mid twenties. I can't believe you've decided to write an essay about something that is so demonstrably false.
There's a reason why we have such a good track record with academy kids. We are patient with them. We aren't Chelsea.
I really don't understand why United fans think that all kids will need to make it or out by 21y.o.

If it was the case we could never recruit quality kids into the academy. We take care of our own. Kids careers aren't linear.

Crimson King

There's a reason why we have such a good track record with academy kids. We are patient with them. We aren't Chelsea.
I really don't understand why United fans think that all kids will need to make it or out by 21y.o.

If it was the case we could never recruit quality kids into the academy. We take care of our own. Kids careers aren't linear.
Because people always focus on the outliers who made big impacts as teenagers, like Bellingham or Pedri right now. They forget about the kids that started with a splash and then disappeared into obscurity, like most of them often do.

We had Rooney at United, who was scoring goals in the EPL for a shite Everton team at 16. People here either forget, or are too young to remember, that in that same team with Rooney we had a player who was widely ridiculed as a 'one trick pony ' and written off many a time by the media. Then he turned shit hot at 21/22 and went on to win multiple Ballon d'Or awards.

sglowrider

Because people always focus on the outliers who made big impacts as teenagers, like Bellingham or Pedri right now. They forget about the kids that started with a splash and then disappeared into obscurity, like most of them often do.

We had Rooney at United, who was scoring goals in the EPL for a shite Everton team at 16. People here either forget, or are too young to remember, that in that same team with Rooney we had a player who was widely ridiculed as a 'one trick pony ' and written off many a time by the media. Then he turned shit hot at 21/22 and went on to win multiple Ballon d'Or awards.
Wait... We had Messi on our books?

Crimson King

Wait... We had Messi on our books?
Ha! Messi was actually looking pretty shit hot at 18/19 for Barca. I think he was already scoring more than a goal every 2 games in the league for them as a teenager... So he sort of proves the original poster's point :nervous:

ZH1

Finally someone has said it, some clubs run an academy to create profit and finance moves for foreign stars, for us our academy is there to create future Manchester United players whether that be in the first team or part of the squad, and when we get lucky we might produce a superstar.

You see it with all the kids coming through the academy now, the expectation is just unrealistic. You've got to give players time to develop, some may not be physically ready till they're 24/25. which may be the case with Amad.

One player I'd compare Amad too is Riyad Mahrez, both technically gifted right wingers who are not incredibly quick or strong, but they have magical ball control and dribbling. Now Mahrez at 22 had an okay season in the championship where he had 3 goals in 19 apps. At 23 he again had an okay first season in the prem with 4 goals in 30 apps. The following season at 24, he became one of the best right wingers in the world, he now understood his game to the full and he had developed physically and mentally, he got 17 goals in 37 apps. Ever since this season he has consistently been a top 5 right winger in the world.

We need to afford the same amount of time to Amad and not expect too much too soon. All the signs are there and you see glimpses of brilliance, you've just got to be patient with him.

Reactions: oates

Tarrou

i wonder how much clubs would bid for him this summer if he was a Sunderland player

maybe 30 to 40m?

Idxomer

It seems like he and Sunderland are hitting a slump, the loss of their 2 strikers this season has hit them hard.

sglowrider

Fight. Fight.

Its good to see that his teammates are willing to stand up for him.

The ref is ridiculous. Yellow should have ben given for the tackle of Clarke and then Amad rode off a tackle but gets a yellow?

Idxomer

How did he get a yellow card after getting tackled by 3 Coventry players and barely reacting afterwards?