Amad Diallo | Sunderland Loan Watch

GwilDor

I'm yet to see evidence that Antony's better than Amad
Antony is not really comparable to Amad imo, very different players. One thing Antony is better on than Amad, as far as i can see at least, is intensity and defensive responsibility/positioning. Amad is probably a lot more creative than Antony though, and might actually have slightly better close control. I´d think Amad ends up more like a Bruno type player, than a traditional winger. I could never see Antony playing centrally for comparison.

The Purley King

I watched most of this game and I’d agree based on what I saw, however it was a very open game against lesser opponents.
This loan is doing him the world of good, his control of the ball and more importantly his awareness of where his teammates are is exceptional.
The first goal I guarantee you that 90% of players take the shot there but he squared it and created a far far better chance (which whoever it was scuffed horribly) that still led to a goal.
Has to come back next season

gajender

Antony is not really comparable to Amad imo, very different players. One thing Antony is better on than Amad, as far as i can see at least, is intensity and defensive responsibility/positioning. Amad is probably a lot more creative than Antony though, and might actually have slightly better close control. I´d think Amad ends up more like a Bruno type player, than a traditional winger. I could never see Antony playing centrally for comparison.
He is nothing like Bruno type player only similarity would be that he might end up playing centrally.

GwilDor

He is nothing like Bruno type player only similarity would be that he might end up playing centrally.
That is part of what i mean, but also that he is good at seeing his teammates movement, and likes to drift a bit to find space. Not saying he is a like-for-like match to Bruno in any way, but that of the players we have, he’s more like Bruno than Antony, which was the post i was commenting on. Sancho might be a more apt comparison even, but they are all their own player, and not intending to say anyone are copies of another player.

Bojan Djordjic

Think people are vastly underestimating the intensity and quality of premiership defences in comparison to Championship. Antony has excellent intensity, understands the shape and movements that ETH wants and is a sensational presser/defender from the front. These are all Amad's weakest points and he will really need to make massive leaps to get near the United first team. Having said that, we can all see that he has amazing technique, retains the ball well and is a decent carrier of the ball (although definitely a pass first style winger like Sancho) so hopefully he can learn the other stuff and become a really useful option.

Walters_19_MuFc

I love Sancho, but Amad could easily take his position in the squad next season. I could see him playing as a RW and RCM. Gives me Bernado Silva vibes.

croadyman

I love Sancho, but Amad could easily take his position in the squad next season. I could see him playing as a RW and RCM. Gives me Bernado Silva vibes.
That bit of ball juggling was unbelievable and then through ball,unfortunately Clarke couldn't keep the shot down to kill the game 5-3

Yakuza_devils

Historically, there are not many from championship can go straight up to the PL and perform very well. There is a huge gap in quality.

Amad can only be squad player next season because he is better than Elanga and Pellistri but not Antony, Sancho, Garnacho, Rashford.

He definitely has very high potential and I'm excited about it. But no, as of now he is not ready for PL leading roles for Man Utd.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Historically, there are not many from championship can go straight up to the PL and perform very well. There is a huge gap in quality.

Amad can only be squad player next season because he is better than Elanga and Pellistri but not Antony, Sancho, Garnacho, Rashford.

He definitely has very high potential and I'm excited about it. But no, as of now he is not ready for PL leading roles for Man Utd.
I'm inclined to agree with this. Brentford is the outlier. Maybe you could argue Brighton but they had a couple of years of just avoiding relegation under Chris Houghton before they kicked on. Fulham have done well this season but I can see them dropping off.

I watched the Hull game earlier. Loved seeing Amad juggle the ball on the half way line before creating a goalscoring opportunity, however there's no way he gets afforded that sort of time and space on the ball in the PL. Hopefully he keeps on developing to a level where we look back at the 2020 summer transfer window with some positive reflection.

meamth

Seems like his physical abilities has matured.

He plays like pre-injury Martial. Eerily similar ball control and dribbling, minus the creative playmaking.

Unitedway

Diallo could really be the real deal. For once it seems like United have made a great loan for a youngster. Could he earn a spot already next year? Not in the 11 probably but on the bench...?

Diallo Skills

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Diallo could really be the real deal. For once it seems like United have made a great loan for a youngster. Could he earn a spot already next year? Not in the 11 probably but on the bench...?

Diallo Skills
I'd say all Henderson's three loans in a row to Grimsby, Shrewsbury & Sheff Utd worked out great. Dalot to Milan was a success for all parties. Tuanzebe at Villa very good. Andreas Pereira had a couple of really good loans to La Liga. This season alone the loans of Fernández, Laird, Hannibal, Savage, Oyedele, Kovář & Shoretire have proved to be very well thought out loans.

Not saying we've been great but to say "for once" is over the top in my opinion. That being said this season has been much better than our previous record so we've done something different for sure.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I caught a bit of the second half last night and he looked almost too good for the Championship, played brilliantly. I’m not sure how many minutes he would get next season since he was playing quite centrally taking up the areas Bruno usually does.

red.knight

I have seen Diallo play a few times for Sunderland and he's steadily become a decent player over the course of this season, probably down to good coaching etc but nowhere close to being a Manchester United player in the premier league. Leave him at Sunderland for at least another couple of seasons.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'd say all Henderson's three loans in a row to Grimsby, Shrewsbury & Sheff Utd worked out great. Dalot to Milan was a success for all parties. Tuanzebe at Villa very good. Andreas Pereira had a couple of really good loans to La Liga. This season alone the loans of Fernández, Laird, Hannibal, Savage, Oyedele, Kovář & Shoretire have proved to be very well thought out loans.

Not saying we've been great but to say "for once" is over the top in my opinion. That being said this season has been much better than our previous record so we've done something different for sure.
McNeil and Savage too

top1whoisman

Scout
McNeil and Savage too
I had included Savage already. McNeill has been a sub at around half of Newport's games so far so it's not been ideal. Not saying it's been a bad loan, just a bit early to judge in my opinion. A couple of goals recently will give him a boost and hopefully earn him a starting spot for most of the remaining games.

RedIan

I have seen Diallo play a few times for Sunderland and he's steadily become a decent player over the course of this season, probably down to good coaching etc but nowhere close to being a Manchester United player in the premier league. Leave him at Sunderland for at least another couple of seasons.
this has to be a sunderland fan!!

RedIan

Ive been watching him play for Sunderland and scratching my head why we didnt recall him when we needed a striker. His technical ability is excellent. He is ten times the player WW is.
Get him back for next season he is ready to step up.

LDUred

It's nice to see him prove a few doubters wrong, because the general impression in his first season at the club was that he was another Manucho/Dong/Bellion style signing. He looked raw and weak in possession, but he never looked anywhere near as bad as was often made out. As others have mentioned, he's got quality on the ball and that's evident in his short passing game and his ability carrying it forward at pace.

He's clearly too good for the Champo so maybe loaning him out to a Prem club next season might be a good idea. Hopefully Middlesborough get promoted because that would be perfect for him.

Last edited:

AndySmith1990

Looking quality in the championship. Hopefully we can find another good loan for him next season, perhaps a newly promoted premier league club

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Looking quality in the championship. Hopefully we can find another good loan for him next season, perhaps a newly promoted premier league club
Not sure newly promoted teams are the best. They will set themselves up to be more defensive and counter-attacking.
He's best in a possession based setup.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not sure newly promoted teams are the best. They will set themselves up to be more defensive and counter-attacking.
He's best in a possession based setup.
Not really. Look at Fulham, Burnley (under Kompany), Brentford when they came up and Forrest.

It's about the style of the manager, not whether they are new to the league.

Abraxas

It's nice to see him prove a few doubters wrong, because the general impression in his first season at the club was that he was another Manucho/Dong/Bellion style signing. He looked raw and weak in possession, but he never looked anywhere near as bad as was often made out. As others have mentioned, he's got quality on the ball and that's evident in his short passing game and his ability carrying it forward at pace.

He's clearly too good for the Champo so maybe loaning him out to a Prem club next season might be a good idea. Hopefully Middlesborough get promoted because that would be perfect for him.
He never looked bad when he played to be honest. Scored that cheeky AC Milan goal as well. He was just a very unfinished product at that time. Not enough men's football in his young career. That's the difference between an 18-19 year old that maybe makes his name in Portugal for a dominant side and what Amad was. Amad was no different to plucking an extreme (and physically small) talent out of our reserves in truth, he wasn't necessarily prepared, and moving to another country adds even more difficulty.

There seems to be more expectation around young players immediately delivering these days, but I think it's important to realise some have different paths. Personality and physicality is huge in football and in those categories he needed more brought out of him. Luckily we sent him to a team that seem to attack and have other talented attackers like Roberts and Clarke he can play with and also where the manager understands him.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Not really. Look at Fulham, Burnley (under Kompany), Brentford when they came up and Forrest.

It's about the style of the manager, not whether they are new to the league.
Agree with those mentioned clubs but I think they may be the exception.

Promoted clubs are free scoring in the Championship. But when they get promoted tend to be less expansive in their first season after getting found out early in the 1st season -- and realise that their free-flowing style is too easy to stop.

The usual blueprint has been slowly buildup once they get some PL money like a Soton etc.

Based Adnan

We can't loan him out again

2 loans is already borderline but 3 loans is well into wikipedia page ruined territory

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Agree with those mentioned clubs but I think they may be the exception.

Promoted clubs are free scoring in the Championship. But when they get promoted tend to be less expansive in their first season after getting found out early in the 1st season -- and realise that their free-flowing style is too easy to stop.

The usual blueprint has been slowly buildup once they get some PL money like a Soton etc.
Leeds is another example. Its not an exception anymore, this idea that promoted clubs are always going to be playing negative football is a bit of a myth now.

Unitedway

Yeah, "for once" probably wrong wording. But would say none of them did REALLY good in their loan clubs like Diallo now, but quality on loans (for the player) could be about much more than just gametime alone. Garner at Forrest perhaps the best loan where the player had a real impact on their loan club. But as you said many of this seasons loans are looking positive. The question is; Has the club gotten better on finding/matching player/club, or is the quality better than rescent years?

top1whoisman

Scout
Yeah, "for once" probably wrong wording. But would say none of them did REALLY good in their loan clubs like Diallo now, but quality on loans (for the player) could be about much more than just gametime alone. Garner at Forrest perhaps the best loan where the player had a real impact on their loan club. But as you said many of this seasons loans are looking positive. The question is; Has the club gotten better on finding/matching player/club, or is the quality better than rescent years?
That’s fair. Oh yeah how could I forget Garner!

I’d say it’s a bit of both. But most of this season’s loans working out well can’t be a coincidence, so I’m sure they’ve done their due diligence compared to some recent years.

Would be interesting to hear how much of an impact EtH has had as they’ve improved from the minute he walked in.

For the club of our stature we should use all the contacts we have in the game and do better to be fair. Let’s hope this is a good start and we continue like this. Some very important loan decisions next season.

Hannibal, Amad, Fernández, Laird, Kovář, Mainoo, Iqbal…

Northumberland Red

Supports
Sunderland
Just a quick update
He has continued to be very good in a side missing several key players through injury
Our forward play is amazing ( 60 years supporting the lads and not seen much better -Clarke -Roberts -Amad ) pity we’ve missed Ross Stewart for most of the season or we would have been right up there .We failed big time in January to replace him and even a half decent Centre forward would have bagged loads ( and in no small part to Amad and co ) We have played without a striker but it’s still been magnificent to watch these 3 attacking .
I’m resigned to the fact he won’t be back next season but thank him massively for his efforts -he’s flourished and you are getting back a player from a loan spell that objectively has helped everyone -thanks to Man Utd and good luck to him at Old Trafford next season ( you have a gem in your midst )
For what it’s worth he needs to play for you in my humble in front of a huge fanbase not scrat around the lower Prem league …he’s enjoyed playing in front of by far the biggest fanbase in the Championship ( 39000 average -10000 above the next ) and would do likewise in an even bigger venue .

Chairman Steve

He’s demonstrated he’s possibly too good to be in the Championship, and I can’t see Premier League clubs willing to take him on loan considering everyone in the Premier League now has money to spend and the loan market is a bit of an afterthought, plus I don’t think they’ll be interested in evolving one of our players when they could be doing the same with one of their own.

And that’s not even mentioning trying to find a suitable team that will play to his strengths and can guarantee the manager being there to play him for the duration.

Take him on the pre-season tour and see how he does. He’s accumulated about 50 appearances combined with Rangers and Sunderland, which is a fair rounded amount of games to act on and see how he copes in a United shirt. He has definitely progressed at Sunderland after playing at Rangers.

Bondi77

I think we need to clarify that Amad is not a Championship player
Amad is a player that was a very highly rated youngster in Europe that we purchased and is on loan in a physical league to get him adjusted to the physicality of the English game and he has excelled in recent times.
Apart from Haaland I cannot remember many players that have come from Germany or Holland that have come into the Premier League and performed very well in recent times and they have cost a fortune.
I just hope that Amad is treated exactly the same as other players in the squad when it comes to selection and we do not feel pressured to play players to avoid media speculation and questioning of why they were even brought to the club.