Amad Diallo | Sunderland Loan Watch

Kag

The idea that he wouldn’t get games because he’d be “fifth choice” is preposterous.

We play between 50 and 60 games a season. We are able to make five substitutions each game. None of our attacking players other than Rashford are guaranteed a starting place. The squad has been a couple of injuries away from relying on the likes of Elanga. Rashford has had to play up top for large parts of the season, forcing Bruno out wide in his stead.

Rashford and Antony will probably start next season out wide when Ten Hag is allowed to field what he considers to be his best team. Amad, Garnacho and Sancho are interesting alternatives and there’d be more than enough minutes for all of them.

He’ll get a chance in pre-season and it’s up to him to take it.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Another season on loan to a lesser Premiership club would be better for his development. It would also give a better indication if he'll make the grade at a club of United's stature.

jem

Another season on loan to a lesser Premiership club would be better for his development. It would also give a better indication if he'll make the grade at a club of United's stature.
I think it's time to see what he can with United. If the likes of Harvey Elliott can make the step up to Liverpool's squad, I don't see why Diallo can't do the same.

city-puma

Sending a talented youngster to loan in order to find out if he is good is a really worrying perception about the purpose of loan. It’s for youngsters’ football education. If the manager thinks they are ready to grow with the squad then they will stay and continue their education here. People tend to think every player as independent individual, great or shit, complete binary. The manager must have to look in different ways. It’s to form a squad and a team to get the maximum of each and complement each other. Klopp did it plenty times and continues doing so. Amad offers something completely different to any player we have. It might be enough to attract the manager to include him next season if he finds Amad is mentally ready.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Maybe the club should also send Antony and Sancho out on loan then.
I don't think it would make financial sense (FFP). They are experienced internationals. With Amad we need to give him minutes.

I don't think any club would pay their salary and loan fee, anyway.

RedorDead21

The idea that he wouldn’t get games because he’d be “fifth choice” is preposterous.

We play between 50 and 60 games a season. We are able to make five substitutions each game. None of our attacking players other than Rashford are guaranteed a starting place. The squad has been a couple of injuries away from relying on the likes of Elanga. Rashford has had to play up top for large parts of the season, forcing Bruno out wide in his stead.

Rashford and Antony will probably start next season out wide when Ten Hag is allowed to field what he considers to be his best team. Amad, Garnacho and Sancho are interesting alternatives and there’d be more than enough minutes for all of them.

He’ll get a chance in pre-season and it’s up to him to take it.
Yeah the problem is are that group good enough to take us up a level or 3 next season. You’d have to say no as it stands. I’d like the finished product out wide but who that is I’m not sure.

noelyman

Anyone who has seen our bench options and is still advocating a loan for Amad next season needs to give their head a wobble. He needs a chance in the United side next season, and given that chance let's hope he grabs it. When the legs went and we had little flair and creativity up front these past few weeks, it would have been great to have had Amad as an option to bring on. Just look at how much we missed Garnacho.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I'm not sure how Amad needs to go on loan again but it's fine for Garnacho to stay and play as mainly a super sub if your criteria is "all young players need extensive minutes".

He has clear top level quality and is coming back into an attack with essentially two dangerous players currently out of all of our options (Rashford and Garnacho at times). Sending him on loan just for the sake of it is idiotic. Not to mention he'd also provide crucial cover for Bruno as he can play behind the striker as well as on the RW.

foolsgold

What on earth makes him 5th choice ? It's not like we have consistently excellent wingers who provide large numbers of goals and assists.

Sancho and Antony have both underdelivered, it's time to give Amad his chance, let's see if the boy can dance.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Amad will get plenty of games if he impresses in preseason. Elanga will be gone next season and Pellistri will be sold or out on loan. He didn't even get mins with all the injuries and issues we had in attack so next season I don't think he will get any.

Also lot depends on Greenwood situation, what the club decides and how the manager feels about the situation.

Rashford and Garnacho should be LW
Antony and Amad should be RW

Time to make decisions on Sancho, Martial and other players struggling either with performance or injuries.

Ted Lasso

Touted as being a generational talent when we signed him, even before he had many chances at Atalanta. Didn't see it in his brief bit with us but he's developing quickly on his loans.

Would love to see him get to a new higher level when he's back with us, maybe cementing a place in the bench even would be impressive

dutchred

They were interested in him last year before he got injured. I hope he stays with us, especially as we don't know the real extent of Antony's injury

RedIan

Amad will get plenty of games if he impresses in preseason. Elanga will be gone next season and Pellistri will be sold or out on loan. He didn't even get mins with all the injuries and issues we had in attack so next season I don't think he will get any.

Also lot depends on Greenwood situation, what the club decides and how the manager feels about the situation.

Rashford and Garnacho should be LW
Antony and Amad should be RW

Time to make decisions on Sancho, Martial and other players struggling either with performance or injuries.
If and its If , Sancho finds form on a level he did v Fulham, he,s a better option than Antoney on RW. Anthony has failed to impress with his very obvious weaknesses. Unless he can learn to play football with two feet he will remain a one trick pony and to easy to defend against.

arthurka

They were interested in him last year before he got injured. I hope he stays with us, especially as we don't know the real extent of Antony's injury
I would think that the next couple of months would be enough to find out what's bothering Antony.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The only attacking player we're signing this window is a striker.
Rashford - Garnacho
Antony - Amad
striker - Rashford
Sancho to cover for any of the front 3 positions

Keeping in mind Antony/Sancho don't last more than 60' of intense football anyway, there will be plenty of playing time for Amad. I certainly would rather have him on board next season.

troylocker

He's had a good season at Sunderland and I don't think he's far behind Antony (who I really don't think is good enough offensively), but I think he should do one more loan spell at a PL-side or a top-5 league team before trying his luck in a full season fighting for a spot here. Getting +/- 500 minutes a season here will make any talent stagnate. They need as many minutes of top football as possible.

Nogbadthebad

He'll get minutes on the right, he will allow Bruno to come off early in games because he can play 10, and hes better than anyone we would likely to bring in for a bargain price, because our transfer funds are mostly going to disappear on a striker, whoever it is.

RuudTom83

Amad should back himself...Garnacho has shown if you can perform you can get ahead of anyone regardless of a big price tag.

klayton88

Hope ETH gives him lots of minutes in pre season. Will be the best indication yet. We have to take him on tour.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'd consider sending him out on load only to a club that plays in Champions League. Even then, not convinced he needs another loan. Based on what I've seen from him, he doesn't need a loan more than Antony.
Bruno should not be playing right wing, he also needs a rest sometimes. Amad would get some serious minutes surely. Would also be good to know what to do with Sancho after next season.

next_number_seven

It's madness to send him on loan again.

We'll have lots of games next year so plenty of minutes and starts.
He needs to learn ETHs system also.

He'll be 21 by start of season.

jeepers

Would he be first choice for Feyenoord?

I reckon EtH will rotate a bit more next season so there will be enough minutes for the kids. Well, at least I hope he does. I personally feel that Amad can also be backup to Bruno.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I think he is probably going to be better than Antony, might even be already, and that we should keep him in the first team.

IRN-BRUno

Has he been training since Sunderland's season finished? Obviously can't play but it would make sense for him to have a couple of weeks back here so Ten Hag can have a better look at him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would be happy with another loan for him. Game time is important, and here he'd be behind Antony and Sancho for the RW.

ifightdragons

Has he been training since Sunderland's season finished? Obviously can't play but it would make sense for him to have a couple of weeks back here so Ten Hag can have a better look at him.
He has not returned to training at United as of now. At least not with the squad.

It's quite normal for players on loan to start their vacation period once their season at the loanee club ends, before returning with the team for pre-season.

Unless Amad is good enough to warrant starting ahead of Antony, it will be a tough season for him if he stays.

Antony cost a fortune, and will surely be ahead of Amad, as he is almost like a golden boy pet project for the manager who seemingly has a lot of belief in him. Amad could still get cameos, though, much like Garnacho.

Erik ten Hag has been very adamant that he will not play youth if they aren't good enough.
Everyone thought Garner would be a nailed on squad player this season, and Bruno even said in an interview last season Garner was the one youth player he wanted to play alongside the most.

Yet, Ten Hag shipped Garner off to Everton almost immediately after pre-season.
In the meantime, promising players like Pellistri, Iqbal and Mainoo have hardly featured the entire season.

I think those could be telltale signs that Amad might not have a future at Old Trafford.

Last edited:

El Zoido

No more loans please, if he’s good enough he has to join the team now. He needs to build experience here.

dutchred

In the meantime, promising players like Pellistri, Iqbal and Mainoo have hardly featured the entire season.
I think thet ETH has been grooming these in his style. He has kept them with the first team squad for a reason. I believe that we will certainly see Mainoo a lot more next season. Iqbal may go out on loan and maybe Pellestri also

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
They won the Dutch league this year, so they automatically qualify.
That's good, Amad would gain UCL experience, it's a good loan option if ETH feels he needs more experience.