Amad Diallo | Sunderland Loan Watch

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I should clarify that the Feyenoord deal had us paying a part of his salary.

A quick google shows figures of upwards of a million a year (~25k/w). (which seems likely given our wage structure).
That's top earner category for a club like Feyenoord and unaffordable to clubs that arent PSV or Ajax.

Quality post, btw.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I should clarify that the Feyenoord deal had us paying a part of his salary.

A quick google shows figures of upwards of a million a year (~25k/w). (which seems likely given our wage structure).
That's top earner category for a club like Feyenoord and unaffordable to clubs that arent PSV or Ajax.

Quality post, btw.
You’re right, the Feyenoord deal broke down because Amad got injured in the last week of the window. He’s just being obnoxious

Classical Mechanic

The problem is, Sunderland don't play a formation with wingers and one of their standout players this season is Patrick Roberts, who's a similar type of player so he's keeping Amad out of the team for now.
Roberts is playing close to his potential now which is high but he's been flaky all his career so Amad will get a chance.

They scored this goal last week. They're playing some good stuff.

Bigsid

With the 10 million for Hannibal added thats a lot of money for a couple of players who are nowhere near our first team. Wonder whose accountable when recruitment make such unsuccessful decisions?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
With the 10 million for Hannibal added thats a lot of money for a couple of players who are nowhere near our first team. Wonder whose accountable when recruitment make such unsuccessful decisions?
Bigsid pretending as ManUtd with one more negative take on ManUtd and it's just another day.

flappyjay

Why are 20 year olds being written off. I think some people equated their current playing level to how much was paid for them.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What 10 million for Hannibal?

RedStarUnited

Why are 20 year olds being written off. I think some people equated their current playing level to how much was paid for them.
because paying 30m for a kid is silly unless that kid is super talented. We already have an academy to produce players..

mu4c_20le

because paying 30m for a kid is silly unless that kid is super talented. We already have an academy to produce players..
Dalot cost 20m many years ago, it's not crazy money if you add market inflation, and he is really talented, just small. He could still be a late bloomer, and even though his loans have been underwhelming, all of the coaches and players who worked with him have had nothing but positive things to say.

Yakuza_devils

We failed to sign Sancho that season and somehow had the idea to buy the next Sancho. So we bought Amad and Pellistri like drunk sailor.

Son

The problem with Amad is the club he’s at. United is just too high a bar for most young players. It’s just a fact. The odds are hugely stacked against him ever making an impact in our first team.

We aren’t quite City yet but they are even worse as a young player. Apart from Foden (who’s insanely talented) there aren’t many young players capable of reaching their first 11 on a weekly basis. It’s futile when they just buy someone like Haaland easy enough.

United and City can just buy the finished players with less risk. Garner was a good example. He’s thinking he’s done well and the club just brings in one of the best players of the past 10 years with 5 CL medals to his name.

We end up selling youngsters as profit making outlets really which I’m fine with. Chelsea do that basically and works. Amad cost too much to make good business but worthwhile to take a punt sometimes.

flappyjay

Except we have not bought any youngsters for that amount. 17m pounds rising to 40m and Pellestri was 7m. If by the time they hit 23 years and are not at least Premier league ready them then you would have a point but not today.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Lots of United fans doubling down on Amad now. They have already made their bed in the 'he's quality' camp.

Honestly never understood the hype. Most of the football he played before joining us was for Atalanta's second team. He hadn't even made 20apps in the first team, had he?

An absolute travesty of a signing. He's not going to make it here.

Pickle85

Lots of United fans doubling down on Amad now. They have already made their bed in the 'he's quality' camp.

Honestly never understood the hype. Most of the football he played before joining us was for Atalanta's second team. He hadn't even made 20apps in the first team, had he?

Agreed. A lot of people were seduced by the reported price tag and his age. He's shown absolutely nothing to show he's a united player so far. Hopefully that changes, but I can't see it.

Grande

Agreed. A lot of people were seduced by the reported price tag and his age. He's shown absolutely nothing to show he's a united player so far. Hopefully that changes, but I can't see it.
There is a thread called ‘Blind people who can’t see it with …’

I suggest you write a lengthy OP for that thread. It’s a huge success on the Caf.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

What have you got to go on? He's certainly talented. He desperately needs games and preferably for a side that's not massive underdogs (like Pellistri unfortunately had when he was in Spain). I think the fee may mess with some people's perspectives. If he'd have been bought for 10m I think there would be a lot more patience.

I think he'll turn into a very good player if we manage his career properly.

AussieDevil

This forum believes Ronaldo isn’t a premier league footballer anymore and that Casemiro is average if not for Kroos and Modric. Poor Amad doesn’t stand a chance.

Red-17

What is the obsession with writing the obituary on the career of a 20 year old who has actually look impressive more often than not in senior level football despite being a player who is not a physical specimen more suited to breaking through at a young age? Whether he makes it for us or not, he has a great chance at making it in top flight football, and there absolutely is a scenario where we sell him and make back most or all of the fee we paid if we do end up selling him.

Abraxas

He's got loads of talent. He's just tiny and inexperienced. Why do there have to be such black and white takes on him? Anything could happen over the next few years.

Cantonagotmehere

What is the obsession with writing the obituary on the career of a 20 year old who has actually look impressive more often than not in senior level football despite being a player who is not a physical specimen more suited to breaking through at a young age? Whether he makes it for us or not, he has a great chance at making it in top flight football, and there absolutely is a scenario where we sell him and make back most or all of the fee we paid if we do end up selling him.
The world we live in. If we want to interact with the certain percent on here who are fun and/or good posters we need to put up with the idiotic fodder.

OleGunnar20

He's got loads of talent. He's just tiny and inexperienced. Why do there have to be such black and white takes on him? Anything could happen over the next few years.
Agreed, I think the talent is clear as day, kid looks good. Just needs to grow up a little is all.

Some patience, good coaching and productive loan spells and he'll be a decent PL player at least in my opinion, though hopefully a step above that and an option for us.

Price was high in retrospect but best to forget about it really. Just accept him for what he is - a tiny 20 year old with very little experience and bags of talent.

Exciting to see how he develops.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Think this lad is making it regardless. Maybe not here, but it will not be because he isnt talented enough.

Loans are a very risky way of trying to develop young players. We are awful at it.

cyril C

The problem with Amad is the club he’s at. United is just too high a bar for most young players. It’s just a fact. The odds are hugely stacked against him ever making an impact in our first team.

We aren’t quite City yet but they are even worse as a young player. Apart from Foden (who’s insanely talented) there aren’t many young players capable of reaching their first 11 on a weekly basis. It’s futile when they just buy someone like Haaland easy enough.

United and City can just buy the finished players with less risk. Garner was a good example. He’s thinking he’s done well and the club just brings in one of the best players of the past 10 years with 5 CL medals to his name.

We end up selling youngsters as profit making outlets really which I’m fine with. Chelsea do that basically and works. Amad cost too much to make good business but worthwhile to take a punt sometimes.
So you think someone will pay 40+ for Amad (for us to make a profit), for someone not good enough to start for Championship club? Wage on the ceiling side for a Dutch side who may not be good enough to start? If the same scouts that scam us work in these clubs then fine. I recall punts like Powell, Djouf, Djemba, Dong, but they were all on the single category, and at least good enough to share the bench until we ran out of space and patience.

Red-17

So you think someone will pay 40+ for Amad (for us to make a profit), for someone not good enough to start for Championship club? Wage on the ceiling side for a Dutch side who may not be good enough to start? If the same scouts that scam us work in these clubs then fine. I recall punts like Powell, Djouf, Djemba, Dong, but they were all on the single category, and at least good enough to share the bench until we ran out of space and patience.
Not good enough to start? Casemiro must be shite too and not good enough to start over Scott McTominay if we are being that reactionary. Why are we judging this when he is new to the team and it is still September. He has played plenty of minutes off the bench and the coach has spoken positively about him starting in the future.

Yakuza_devils

I have absolutely no faith on the players signed by our previous scouting department. We have wasted hundreds of millions on Maguire, AWB, Lindelof, Amad, VDB, Pogba and etc.

Amad is not looking good at all. He is even behind players like Garnacho, Zidane.

mav_9me

Some of his touches are sublime. I think I am partial to this type of player, love that technique stuff. But yeah, he needs to show more. He doesn't have the pace. In which he case he needs to be able to influence the game with more inventive passing.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
For 20mins, this is good stuff.
He is always looking to progress the ball forward. The problem is finding team-mates who see the same pass as he does -- he struggled there with the agricultural passing of Rangers last season. Hopefully, Mobray sees that in him and allows his team to express themselves better..

sglowrider

Not good enough to start? Casemiro must be shite too and not good enough to start over Scott McTominay if we are being that reactionary. Why are we judging this when he is new to the team and it is still September. He has played plenty of minutes off the bench and the coach has spoken positively about him starting in the future.
Are you new to the rodeo? The Caf is populated with a large minority of professional scouts/coaches, not to mention the direct decedents of Nostradamus. They just know.

NoPace

Think this lad is making it regardless. Maybe not here, but it will not be because he isnt talented enough.
Yeah. He links up with his teammates really, really well. Even if he doesn't make it here, some team with an overlapping RB and 2 up front (or a #10 who looks to get forward) will suit him well. Could see him doing well in La Liga. If he has a strong year, I wouldn't be against him getting a season there next year assuming our wingers are Sancho, Antony, Rashford and Garnacho with a new #9 and Martial up top.

Pickle85

There is a thread called ‘Blind people who can’t see it with …’

I suggest you write a lengthy OP for that thread. It’s a huge success on the Caf.
If there's a pre-existing thread, presumably it wouldn't be an OP? Anyway, happy to be proved wrong but what to date has he shown you to prove he can make it? Maybe this time you can leave your stroppiness at the door before replying.

Rossa

Some of his touches are sublime. I think I am partial to this type of player, love that technique stuff. But yeah, he needs to show more. He doesn't have the pace. In which he case he needs to be able to influence the game with more inventive passing.
He looked more than quick enough in the video posted above. He may not be a Bale in terms of outright top speed - doubt anyone that small would be, but he looks very quick off the mark, agile and with great close control. Bernardo Silva is not that quick, but he does alright.

Having him as an understudy to Antony next season could be interesting.

sglowrider

He looked more than quick enough in the video posted above. He may not be a Bale in terms of outright top speed - doubt anyone that small would be, but he looks very quick off the mark, agile and with great close control. Bernardo Silva is not that quick, but he does alright.

Having him as an understudy to Antony next season could be interesting.
Personally I can see him more central as he matures.

Rossa

Personally I can see him more central as he matures.
Perhaps, but one would say the same about players such as Bernardo Silva and David Silva, but having more of a roaming role where they drift inside and outside depending is probably the best. Bruno and Eriksen are the perfect 8s for that system as they are comfortable drifting wide as well freeing up space for a player like Diallo to come inside. Sancho is probably the same. Diallo has the acceleration to get away from his marker, but he would probably struggle to get away from players in a longer foot race, but how often does that happen anyways?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I personally don’t see why Elanga is ahead of him.

Just probably an age and physical thing.